Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If it came down to it. 16:33 - Aug 4 with 3318 viewsCheltenham_Blue

And Town got to, and stayed in, The EPL, the likelyhood is that at some point we would have to significantly increase our capacity to both satisfy the demand on season tickets and to make us a more attractive option for investors.

Would you rather.

a) A new stadium, on the outskirts of town, possibly on the A12 with good road access and rail links.

or.

b) The total redevelopment of the current site, in the same way that Bristol City developed Ashton Gate.

Its B for me, but I'd like the club to find a way to keep something of the current stadium.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

If it came down to it. on 16:34 - Aug 4 with 2526 viewsitfcjoe

I don’t think we’d need to get much bigger, maybe 40k absolute tops - so would easily be able to do that on original site

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If it came down to it. on 16:35 - Aug 4 with 2514 viewsBury_St_Edmundson

Keep the turnstiles?

the amount of paint spent on them over the years...
If it came down to it. on 16:36 - Aug 4 with 2500 viewsJ2BLUE

Rebuild Cobbold.

Job done.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If it came down to it. on 16:37 - Aug 4 with 2494 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

I would also prefer option B.

However, I wonder what plans, if any, the club has to deal with the very real likelihood that the ground will see annual flooding in the next 25 years.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

If it came down to it. on 16:38 - Aug 4 with 2485 viewsIllinoisblue

If it came down to it. on 16:36 - Aug 4 by J2BLUE

Rebuild Cobbold.

Job done.

Yep, Cobbold is long due a refurb. and realistically, a 35k capacity would be more than enough.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

If it came down to it. on 16:38 - Aug 4 with 2479 viewsMatt_Netherlands

B all the way. Woukd like to see the current shape kept, as not a huge fan of the bowl design plus I’m not sure there’s room for it around the current pitch / stadium.

Would you accept a year of home games bejng played alewhete while it was redeveloped?

If so… Col Who or Wet Spam?
If it came down to it. on 16:39 - Aug 4 with 2471 viewsStenvict

Please don't call it the EPL. PL is fine.

Leave it as it is, but maybe develop the Cobbold stand somewhat, but do it quickly over the summer, so us Cobbold Ultras aren't affected.

Poll: What will be announced first?

If it came down to it. on 16:39 - Aug 4 with 2470 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If it came down to it. on 16:36 - Aug 4 by J2BLUE

Rebuild Cobbold.

Job done.

Was looking at the Cobbold on Saturday and wondered if a re-design would need to span across Portman Road, in the same way The Trinity Road stand at Villa, crosses over, err..... Trinity Road.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2022 16:39]

Login to get fewer ads

If it came down to it. on 16:39 - Aug 4 with 2464 viewsTerra_Farma

B). Let's not forget there are many peoples ashes scattered in and around Portman Road.

This alone is justification for never leaving PR
If it came down to it. on 16:43 - Aug 4 with 2411 viewsjayessess

If it came to it, obviously preferable to re-develop the present site, which is the absolute ideal location for a football ground.

As a club I think we're also particularly anchored in our history and I think you'd be sacrificing a significant intangible asset if we moved.

That said, I'm not sure it necessarily is the case that we'd need a bigger stadium in the Premier League. Our current capacity is competitive with a lot of long-standing PL teams.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If it came down to it. on 16:46 - Aug 4 with 2376 viewsSkip_Intro

c) we are bought by Andy Holt and become franchised as Ipswich Stanley for the iFollow revenue...
If it came down to it. on 16:58 - Aug 4 with 2288 viewshype313

B)

It doesn't need a huge infrastructure change, and plans are afoot for redevelopment of Cobbold in time as they want that to be the face of the ground.

Looking around there isn't many places that would be viable as an out of town option, obviously the old Airport would have been a possibility and there maybe some room around Copdock but I would hate to leave PR, given the amenities around and the close proximity to the town.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

If it came down to it. on 17:05 - Aug 4 with 2250 viewsmylittletown

I suspect that it was easier to redevelop Ashton Gate, as there is plenty of space around the ground. Even then two of the Ashton Gate stands were largely untouched.

Having said that, PR is a great location, a proper football ground and I would vote for upgrading rather than rebuilding.
If it came down to it. on 17:06 - Aug 4 with 2248 viewsHighgateBlue

If it came down to it. on 16:34 - Aug 4 by itfcjoe

I don’t think we’d need to get much bigger, maybe 40k absolute tops - so would easily be able to do that on original site

I agree we don't need to get much bigger.

Last season a quarter of the premier league had an average attendance of less than 27,000. And only 11 of them had a capacity bigger than 32,500.

We spent a lot of money in the 1980s which wasn't necessarily a great idea at the time. We then overstretched what was needed in the early 2000s, loading a lot of debt onto the club (which Marcus eventually wrote off).

A lovely huge stadium in some ways would be lovely, but I would prefer to redevelop one stand if we really need another 3-5k capacity. I cannot see that we will ever need 40,000 seats.
If it came down to it. on 17:15 - Aug 4 with 2201 viewsIpswichRising

I do recall years ago that there was talk of turning the stadium round so as to build on the practice pitch
If it came down to it. on 17:19 - Aug 4 with 2176 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If it came down to it. on 17:06 - Aug 4 by HighgateBlue

I agree we don't need to get much bigger.

Last season a quarter of the premier league had an average attendance of less than 27,000. And only 11 of them had a capacity bigger than 32,500.

We spent a lot of money in the 1980s which wasn't necessarily a great idea at the time. We then overstretched what was needed in the early 2000s, loading a lot of debt onto the club (which Marcus eventually wrote off).

A lovely huge stadium in some ways would be lovely, but I would prefer to redevelop one stand if we really need another 3-5k capacity. I cannot see that we will ever need 40,000 seats.

I'm amazed at people thinking we have enough already. What 1/4 of the Prem get is largely irrelevant - we got nearly 27k in our last home game - in League 1! It stands to reason going up the leagues we'd need more. 40k seems a reasonable figure, and probably doable on the current site.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

If it came down to it. on 17:19 - Aug 4 with 2169 viewsHighgateBlue

If it came down to it. on 16:39 - Aug 4 by Stenvict

Please don't call it the EPL. PL is fine.

Leave it as it is, but maybe develop the Cobbold stand somewhat, but do it quickly over the summer, so us Cobbold Ultras aren't affected.

I agree that developing stands piecemeal is the best bet, and I would always hesitate before invoking the wrath of the Cobbold Ultras. But... I don't think that venerable stand can be improved on over the summer. I think it might well take a fair bit longer than that.
If it came down to it. on 17:24 - Aug 4 with 2117 viewsportmanroadblue

Redevelop Cobbold, make the lower tiers safe standing in all stands, should take capacity upto 40k plus.

Would also like to see a new roof on Magners stand.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 11:27]
If it came down to it. on 17:26 - Aug 4 with 2095 viewsVeggie

Really? We’ve never consistently sold out have we?
If it came down to it. on 17:38 - Aug 4 with 1993 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If it came down to it. on 17:26 - Aug 4 by Veggie

Really? We’ve never consistently sold out have we?

We’ve never consistently stayed in the PL.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

If it came down to it. on 17:48 - Aug 4 with 1962 viewsOldFart71

The Cobbold Stand opened season 70-71 so it's over 50 years old. When the ground was developed taking in the North and Churchmans as it was it was partly done to accommodate the rules regarding I think England Under 23's where you had to have a capacity over 30,000. There was some development on what was the Britannia, Pioneer, Co-op and whatever it is now stand where I believe they somehow built on or over the existing stand. So the Cobbold which superseded the old chicken run is the oldest and due to the then technology it is why you have restricted view seats. Something of a similar design but maybe standing out as the main stand incorporating as it does now dining and corporate facilities along with proper corporate boxes.
If it came down to it. on 18:10 - Aug 4 with 1878 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If it came down to it. on 16:43 - Aug 4 by jayessess

If it came to it, obviously preferable to re-develop the present site, which is the absolute ideal location for a football ground.

As a club I think we're also particularly anchored in our history and I think you'd be sacrificing a significant intangible asset if we moved.

That said, I'm not sure it necessarily is the case that we'd need a bigger stadium in the Premier League. Our current capacity is competitive with a lot of long-standing PL teams.

Our current capacity is 30,311. In truth, we all know it isn't the true capacity, but lets err on the side of caution and say its 30,000.

Sides with a lower capacity than us and their position last season.

Nodge - 27,244 - Relegated
Palace - 26,225 - 13th
Watford - 22,100 - Relegated
Burnley - 21,944 - Relegated
Brentford - 17,250 - 14th

Dolly hits it on the head, we sold 16,500 season tickets this year and added 10k to that in ticket sales for last weekend.

I would imagine, if that is maintained, it will be nigh on impossible for anyone to get a ticket if we get into the PL. Thats lost revenue, and if I'm learning anything from this ownership group, its that they absolutely will not allow any revenue to escape down the back of the couch.

If it came down to it. on 18:33 - Aug 4 with 1831 viewsgreyhound

If it came down to it. on 16:34 - Aug 4 by itfcjoe

Agree with suggested capacity. But portman Road, the location it's part of the fabric of the club, I would Hate any move to a new IKEA build stadium
If it came down to it. on 18:34 - Aug 4 with 1829 viewsSouthfieldsBlue

B, if for no other reason than affordability. We don't own the land to help pay for the cost via redevelopment.

Combination of rebuilding the Cobbold and the West stand, with safe standing should get us to comfortably 40,000, maybe 42000 which should be enough
If it came down to it. on 19:06 - Aug 4 with 1732 viewsFoD_Blue

A couple of people are mentioning safe standing in their response to increasing capacity.
Would this actually increase capacity, or would the footprint per seat be the same as we already have but with an option to stand rather than sit in your 'seat'?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024