Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Statman 17:00 - Sep 1 with 9439 viewsKieranMcKenna1

What’s his problem?

Poll: Are you Mick out or Mick in?

Statman on 09:01 - Sep 6 with 1452 viewsLeoMuff

Point of order Simpson has yet to play at a higher level than Town, Gibbs is a bit of a disaster but wasn’t that on MEs watch where literally everything was a disaster.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Statman on 13:09 - Sep 6 with 1273 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Statman on 09:01 - Sep 6 by LeoMuff

Point of order Simpson has yet to play at a higher level than Town, Gibbs is a bit of a disaster but wasn’t that on MEs watch where literally everything was a disaster.

Bit OTT to say Gibbs is a disaster. If he were still here he’d probably only be vying for the Humphrey’s squad role. People will point to the fact that he’s been playing for the Budgies but he’s a stopgap until the Brazilian who hasnt played since April gets match fit.

He may turn out to be an excellent player but that’s of little concern to me if the players that we do have get out us out of this division and get paid us moving back up the pyramid

Poll: Our final position

Statman on 13:20 - Sep 6 with 1250 viewsBiGDonnie

Statman on 11:18 - Sep 2 by BondiBlue

Alan Hansen once said you don't win anything with kids. He was massively wrong. Have we conveniently forgotten about that? The other week Exeter started 8 or 9 academy graduates. They've only just been promoted. Most teams would have brought in a load of players with league one experience for a relegation battle. Exeter trusted their youth and are flying. You can have everything in one go.

They ain't flying as high as us are they? Perhaps if they dropped some youth players they would be?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Statman on 13:21 - Sep 6 with 1236 viewsMaySixth

Kieron Dyer.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Statman on 15:06 - Sep 6 with 1132 viewsLeoMuff

Statman on 13:09 - Sep 6 by southnorfolkblue

Bit OTT to say Gibbs is a disaster. If he were still here he’d probably only be vying for the Humphrey’s squad role. People will point to the fact that he’s been playing for the Budgies but he’s a stopgap until the Brazilian who hasnt played since April gets match fit.

He may turn out to be an excellent player but that’s of little concern to me if the players that we do have get out us out of this division and get paid us moving back up the pyramid

For a club in league 1 to lose a 19 year old who came through the academy over 10 years and played 1 first team game for peanuts, to a local rival, and is now a regular in the championship in a disaster in my book.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Statman on 16:21 - Sep 6 with 1061 viewsVic

Statman on 07:49 - Sep 6 by SheffordBlue

"it all feels a bit of an add on rather a priority"

In the past fews weeks the club has started to advertise the following roles for the Academy:

Assistant Head of the Academy
Head of Academy Recruitment
Academy Recruitment Operations Assistant
Performance Insights and Methodology Analyst
Women's and Boy's Academy Goalkeeping Coach

While salaries aren't listed that must be around £150k per year in backroom wages they're about to add to the academy. Dean Wright has now been in post about 2 months. That's long enough to gain an understanding of what the issues are and to come up with a strategy for dealing with the. Some of them might be short term e.g. Joe's points about quibbling over a few hundred quid a week to keep some of our better academy players. Some of them are much more structural and will probably take a few years to begin to show the fruits of success.

I agree with you that it wasn't a priority but would suggest these recruitment efforts show that its priority is now higher than it was

Thanks, I hadn't realised that level of recruitment and perhaps restructuring was taking place. Also since my post above I've read Ashtons and KM's comments re the academy and am very heartened by them.

However, i have to say that at the end of the day what i really want is the first team to be good and to stay good. If that happens I won't, to be honest, worry whether it's via the academy or not! The point of the later sounds to me like a revenue stream in the long term.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Statman on 16:29 - Sep 6 with 1040 viewsKieran_Knows

Statman on 12:31 - Sep 2 by itfcjoe

I think easy to take extreme examples from both sides of the argument, but for me main fact is when arguing over a few hundred pounds a week, selling them off for £500k and seeing them earn substantially more elsewhere is decent short term business but doesn't help the club in the long term.

From what those close to the Gibbs and Simpson situations indicate, we've lost players who wanted a pathway and a wage representing a higher squad status - this is very different to Man City throwing what they did at Ben Knight or Arsenal and Marcelo Flores where there is simply no real way to stop them as the pathway is so long from U15/U16 to the first team compared to those who are already professionals at the club.

The academy is a mess below the U14 level in lots of ways, and we are behind Norwich, Colchester and the like and rely on recruiting at 14 to usurp those filling squad spaces when the travel restrictions loosen - but at the top end of the academy we are producing players, getting results and punching above our weight - I can't help but think that Mark Ashton has decided that the academy is failing and now wants to put his stamp on it, his guys all through it and we'll have to wait for that to come to fruition - but think that does a disservice to the Liam Gibbs and Tyreece Simpson's off the world.

We've seemingly protected ourselves if those guys go off and flourish, but it's still going to be galling if they do - especially Simpson who had a spell in league 2 which simply isn't usual for a teenage striker and showed some real talent alongside his rawness

Will certainly be a few more Mark Ashton appointments in that academy set up soon, there's been plenty over the last 9 months or so in fairness anyway.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Statman on 17:40 - Sep 6 with 958 viewsFrimleyBlue

Statman on 12:31 - Sep 2 by itfcjoe

I think easy to take extreme examples from both sides of the argument, but for me main fact is when arguing over a few hundred pounds a week, selling them off for £500k and seeing them earn substantially more elsewhere is decent short term business but doesn't help the club in the long term.

From what those close to the Gibbs and Simpson situations indicate, we've lost players who wanted a pathway and a wage representing a higher squad status - this is very different to Man City throwing what they did at Ben Knight or Arsenal and Marcelo Flores where there is simply no real way to stop them as the pathway is so long from U15/U16 to the first team compared to those who are already professionals at the club.

The academy is a mess below the U14 level in lots of ways, and we are behind Norwich, Colchester and the like and rely on recruiting at 14 to usurp those filling squad spaces when the travel restrictions loosen - but at the top end of the academy we are producing players, getting results and punching above our weight - I can't help but think that Mark Ashton has decided that the academy is failing and now wants to put his stamp on it, his guys all through it and we'll have to wait for that to come to fruition - but think that does a disservice to the Liam Gibbs and Tyreece Simpson's off the world.

We've seemingly protected ourselves if those guys go off and flourish, but it's still going to be galling if they do - especially Simpson who had a spell in league 2 which simply isn't usual for a teenage striker and showed some real talent alongside his rawness

I'm still surprised people are shocked that we didn't offer more wages to a teenager with a knee injury.

Clearly he wanted a new deal, we don't know what he's actually going to be like once recovered.. fair play town on not giving in with such an unknown and to get 500k plus sell ons for someone injured for 9 months is excellent work.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Statman on 18:16 - Sep 6 with 929 viewsMattinLondon

Statman on 09:06 - Sep 2 by Keno

Does he try to have a large online profile to make up for having a small penis?

Just because someone has a small penis it doesn’t automatically mean that he has a large social media profile…just saying….for a friend.
Statman on 18:16 - Sep 6 with 925 viewsMattinLondon

Statman on 17:46 - Sep 1 by GlasgowBlue

He’s KD’s mouthpiece basically.

Are you saying that KD has radicalised him?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024