Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I felt a bit shook up today 02:12 - Sep 9 with 2954 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Started hearing the reports as I woke up and knew it was near. Was on a call with about 50 people from coast to coast and everyone got the news at the same time, a few other Brit’s and Canadian’s were also on there but obviously predominantly Americans.

Everyone stopped in their tracks and the call basically ended to allow us to regroup a bit. That kind of says something doesn’t it! Just her stature and importance, an incredible lady that nearly everyone felt some kind of connection to around the world. In a weird way moving abroad makes you feel slightly more patriotic sometimes in events such as this. To me she was the one constant and just the optimized the best of being British. The fact she had just sworn in a new PM a few days before her death tells you all you need to know about her dedicated service.

Think whatever you want about the monarchy but she was above politics despite the vile crap that is posted online. Too busy to take much notice but I avoided twitter like the plague today, got annoyed enough just now reading a few posts on here where a few still want to take shots at others.

I only really come here to discuss footy now but wanted to post about Liz from afar. Be kind and respect each other, we should all be better at that.

God save the Queen.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 2:19]
I felt a bit shook up today on 08:46 - Sep 9 with 2112 viewsitfcjoe

It is truly the end of an era, and one that has been so important for Britain - the respect shown from around the world is truly unique in these modern times. Who else alive would garner such fitting tributes from basically every country on the map?

She was a truly Great Briton, most probably the Greatest - and her dedication to the country has been from first day to last as she has done her duty - it's very hard to put into words just how important a figure she has been.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I felt a bit shook up today on 09:14 - Sep 9 with 2003 viewsgalacticoblue

Hear hear - I echo all of that.
I felt a bit shook up today on 09:17 - Sep 9 with 1968 viewsclive_baker

+1

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Very well said…. on 09:18 - Sep 9 with 1967 viewsBloots

….she was (and will remain) an inspiration to millions around the world.

People could learn a lot from her natural sense of dignity and respect.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

I felt a bit shook up today on 09:19 - Sep 9 with 1954 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Man up!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I felt a bit shook up today on 09:22 - Sep 9 with 1928 viewsGuthrum

I felt a bit shook up today on 08:46 - Sep 9 by itfcjoe

It is truly the end of an era, and one that has been so important for Britain - the respect shown from around the world is truly unique in these modern times. Who else alive would garner such fitting tributes from basically every country on the map?

She was a truly Great Briton, most probably the Greatest - and her dedication to the country has been from first day to last as she has done her duty - it's very hard to put into words just how important a figure she has been.

Reflecting this morning, the UK is, in very real terms, diminshed by the Queen's passing. She had respect from world leaders, not purely for her status but for the vast diplomatic experience, on a global scale over many decades. She was just good at it through long practice and accumulation of knowlege.

With the best will in the world, Charles simply does not have that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I felt a bit shook up today on 09:40 - Sep 9 with 1805 viewsclive_baker

I felt a bit shook up today on 09:22 - Sep 9 by Guthrum

Reflecting this morning, the UK is, in very real terms, diminshed by the Queen's passing. She had respect from world leaders, not purely for her status but for the vast diplomatic experience, on a global scale over many decades. She was just good at it through long practice and accumulation of knowlege.

Certainly in times where the UK has bene looked upon less favourably by the wider world, the respect for the Queen has never diminished. It's a softer factor that really cannot be quantified, but certainly existed. It's a huge loss in so many ways, she was very much a constant in the fabric of the UK, and I have to say, particularly with the backdrop of the wider global and economic landscape, I do wonder how damaging it is for our prospects. None of that will be immediate of course, and in William and Kate I do think we have a marketable lineage in waiting, but Liz they ain't. Of course not, how could they be?

RIP Ma'am, and thank you for your service.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I felt a bit shook up today on 09:48 - Sep 9 with 1737 viewsMattinLondon

I felt a bit shook up today on 09:19 - Sep 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

Man up!

Collective grief- don’t you just love it.
Login to get fewer ads

I felt a bit shook up today on 09:50 - Sep 9 with 1729 viewsRyorry

I felt a bit shook up today on 09:22 - Sep 9 by Guthrum

He's likely to have learned or subconsciously absorbed at least some of it from her though?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I felt a bit shook up today on 10:06 - Sep 9 with 1649 viewsGuthrum

I felt a bit shook up today on 09:50 - Sep 9 by Ryorry

He's likely to have learned or subconsciously absorbed at least some of it from her though?

He just lacks the decades of having done it for real. The "elder statesman" mantle, the respect of foreign leaders inherited from their predecessors. The Queen was head of state when Britain was still a mighty world power, which creates a certain aura. She met in person so many modern nations' founding figures.

Not so much what Charles is capable of doing (he'll probably be fine on that front), as how he is perceived.

I felt a bit shook up today on 10:09 - Sep 9 with 1616 viewshype313

I felt a bit shook up today on 10:06 - Sep 9 by Guthrum

He just lacks the decades of having done it for real. The "elder statesman" mantle, the respect of foreign leaders inherited from their predecessors. The Queen was head of state when Britain was still a mighty world power, which creates a certain aura. She met in person so many modern nations' founding figures.

Not so much what Charles is capable of doing (he'll probably be fine on that front), as how he is perceived.

One of the endearing feats about the Queen was how she never got involved in politics, which, given she met 15 PM's in her time and probably had her own thoughts on a few of them, we , as a nation never heard a word about it. Touch of class.

Charles on the other hand has been quite vocal, I wonder now he's in situ, will he will follow her example.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I felt a bit shook up today on 10:11 - Sep 9 with 1598 viewsWallingford_Boy

Nice post mate x

RIP Sir Bobby

I felt a bit shook up today on 10:12 - Sep 9 with 1602 viewsWacko

I felt a bit shook up today on 09:48 - Sep 9 by MattinLondon

I understand the grief, I just don't understand the need to broadcast it to the world. We're living in a strange age where everyone thinks their feelings about a particular event are the most profound and unique of all, and everyone else needs to hear them.

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

I felt a bit shook up today on 10:13 - Sep 9 with 1593 viewsGuthrum

I felt a bit shook up today on 10:09 - Sep 9 by hype313

One of the endearing feats about the Queen was how she never got involved in politics, which, given she met 15 PM's in her time and probably had her own thoughts on a few of them, we , as a nation never heard a word about it. Touch of class.

Charles on the other hand has been quite vocal, I wonder now he's in situ, will he will follow her example.

That last is a very interesting question - and may define his reign.

If you “understand the grief”…. on 10:17 - Sep 9 with 1563 viewsBloots

I felt a bit shook up today on 10:12 - Sep 9 by Wacko

I understand the grief, I just don't understand the need to broadcast it to the world. We're living in a strange age where everyone thinks their feelings about a particular event are the most profound and unique of all, and everyone else needs to hear them.

….then you should perhaps understand that people deal with grief in different ways.

Some will cry, some will sit silently, some will express their grief privately, some will do so publicly.

People shouldn’t be judged on how they react to grief.

If you “understand the grief”…. on 10:28 - Sep 9 with 1534 viewsWacko

If you “understand the grief”…. on 10:17 - Sep 9 by Bloots

….then you should perhaps understand that people deal with grief in different ways.

Some will cry, some will sit silently, some will express their grief privately, some will do so publicly.

People shouldn’t be judged on how they react to grief.

I'm not judging it, I'm saying I don't understand it. I don't believe it's a natural part of grief, since it's only been available as an option for a fraction of the time humans have been in existence. Instead I think it's a complex consequence of the selfie age in which we live

Public grieving has been a thing…. on 10:39 - Sep 9 with 1483 viewsBloots

If you “understand the grief”…. on 10:28 - Sep 9 by Wacko

I'm not judging it, I'm saying I don't understand it. I don't believe it's a natural part of grief, since it's only been available as an option for a fraction of the time humans have been in existence. Instead I think it's a complex consequence of the selfie age in which we live

….for hundreds of years, it’s not a modern occurrence. The methodology has just changed.

Wailing walls, Day of the Dead parades, and the Victorian’s loved public displays of grieving.

Public grieving has been a thing…. on 10:43 - Sep 9 with 1422 viewsWacko

Public grieving has been a thing…. on 10:39 - Sep 9 by Bloots

….for hundreds of years, it’s not a modern occurrence. The methodology has just changed.

Wailing walls, Day of the Dead parades, and the Victorian’s loved public displays of grieving.

Not really the same as individual broadcasting though is it. In fact it's pretty much the opposite

I felt a bit shook up today on 10:45 - Sep 9 with 1400 viewsChurchman

I felt a bit shook up today on 10:06 - Sep 9 by Guthrum

Perceptions change. Until now he’s always had the aura of somebody searching for something to do. That’ll now change. It’s up to him to model it the way he wants to. I think he will do better than people anticipate.

The monarchy, if it is to survive, has to adapt and change just as it’s done before. People forget just how unpopular the institution was when Victoria became Queen in 1837. We were heading for a republic. It was mainly Albert’s influence that changed it to the form we see today.
I think it is…. on 10:47 - Sep 9 with 1378 viewsBloots

Public grieving has been a thing…. on 10:43 - Sep 9 by Wacko

Not really the same as individual broadcasting though is it. In fact it's pretty much the opposite

….as I said it’s just that the way of doing it has changed.

Anyway, not looking for an argument.

X

Public grieving has been a thing…. on 10:47 - Sep 9 with 1378 viewsDanTheMan

Public grieving has been a thing…. on 10:43 - Sep 9 by Wacko

Whilst I can't overly empathise with people feeling a lot of grief over the Queens death, people coming on here and venting might just me a natural way of dealing with it. Sometimes talking to strangers is easier than talking with loved ones.

For example when a good friend of mine died a couple of years ago, I came on here in the early hours to vent as I was upset and angry. Potentially different in that he wasn't a public figure but grief is grief.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 10:50]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

I felt a bit shook up today on 10:48 - Sep 9 with 1363 viewsmutters

I felt a bit shook up today on 10:12 - Sep 9 by Wacko

Everybody processes grief differently. Some want to share with others and garner strength from it, some want to be introspective and handle it on their own. In modern society there is an easy way to access millions / billions of people online who may collectively want to connect over such an event.

It's not for you to decide how each person handles it. Let people make their own decision and not belittle them for doing it differently to the way you do things.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

I think it is…. on 10:53 - Sep 9 with 1297 viewsWacko

I think it is…. on 10:47 - Sep 9 by Bloots

….as I said it’s just that the way of doing it has changed.

Anyway, not looking for an argument.

X

Nor me. Interesting discussion and what I do understand is that people feel differently

All the best

I felt a bit shook up today on 10:59 - Sep 9 with 1246 viewsWacko

I felt a bit shook up today on 10:48 - Sep 9 by mutters

Everybody processes grief differently. Some want to share with others and garner strength from it, some want to be introspective and handle it on their own. In modern society there is an easy way to access millions / billions of people online who may collectively want to connect over such an event.

It's not for you to decide how each person handles it. Let people make their own decision and not belittle them for doing it differently to the way you do things.

Some also want to discuss what they believe is a peculiar phenomenon of this day and age with others who may feel the same (notice how I've posted my original comment in the thread of two others who seemingly have similar views).

And I'm afraid you've definitely confused perplexity with belittlement

I felt a bit shook up today on 11:05 - Sep 9 with 1186 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I felt a bit shook up today on 09:48 - Sep 9 by MattinLondon

The comment I made is specifically for JJJ.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024