Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the Nations League a waste of time? 21:43 - Sep 23 with 1887 viewsessexpaul64

Is the nations league a waste of time. You get players and managers complaining about all the fixtures they have to play and the fixture pile ups etc, especially with the world cup in a few weeks time. So what do others think; Is this so called tournament a waste of time?
Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 21:50 - Sep 23 with 1849 viewsMark

They just want the largest nations to play each other all the time to sell more TV rights and flash more LED adverts in our faces. I can hardly bring myself to watch and it is so dull.
Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 21:59 - Sep 23 with 1820 viewsIllinoisblue

Yes, a waste of time, that only adds pointless international games to an already crowded fixture calendar. Other than qualifiers for Euros and World Cup there should be no international games at all for European nations. Good players and coaches shouldn’t need friendlies to gel or figure things out. Fk that.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 22:01 - Sep 23 with 1802 viewsSE1blue

Totally.

I’d rather we just played the other British teams in a mini tournament every year.

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 22:02 - Sep 23 with 1790 viewsgtsb1966

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 21:59 - Sep 23 by Illinoisblue

Yes, a waste of time, that only adds pointless international games to an already crowded fixture calendar. Other than qualifiers for Euros and World Cup there should be no international games at all for European nations. Good players and coaches shouldn’t need friendlies to gel or figure things out. Fk that.

All teams play a couple of friendles before a world cup. Always have done so this is nothing new except the quality of opposition is better.
Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 22:03 - Sep 23 with 1785 viewsbungaytractor

Just friendly's really total waste of time when players need a rest
Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 22:22 - Sep 23 with 1727 viewsChrisd

It provides a more competitive focus than simply playing friendlies.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 22:28 - Sep 23 with 1713 viewsMark

Plus it should be special to play Italy or Germany, perhaps once every few years in the Euros or World Cup. Playing them every few months feels wrong. I guess we won't have to soon as England will be 'relegated'.
Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 22:41 - Sep 23 with 1690 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Rarely watch England outside of tournaments to be honest - Nations League is just as meh as a friendly to me. Club football first every time!
Login to get fewer ads

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 02:21 - Sep 24 with 1491 viewsKropotkin123

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 22:28 - Sep 23 by Mark

Plus it should be special to play Italy or Germany, perhaps once every few years in the Euros or World Cup. Playing them every few months feels wrong. I guess we won't have to soon as England will be 'relegated'.

Good for Italy though, as they won't have the opportunity to play us or Germany this World Cup

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 04:41 - Sep 24 with 1454 viewsIllinoisblue

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 22:02 - Sep 23 by gtsb1966

All teams play a couple of friendles before a world cup. Always have done so this is nothing new except the quality of opposition is better.

No. No more friendlies. Done. No more. Just turn up and fking play.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 05:20 - Sep 24 with 1434 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

It's not a tournament, they've just renamed friendlies in and organized way.
Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 08:01 - Sep 24 with 1313 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Absolutely, I couldn't give 2 hoots about the inventa Cup.

It also seems to reward crap teams with PO plades etc for tournaments, but you have to be fairly crap to qualify for those, England for example by virtue of being in the top group (but bottom of it) are not crap enough to warrant such thing, not that it matters as we have already qualified.

I think that's how it works, please correct me if I'm wrong

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 09:07 - Sep 24 with 1241 viewsblueprint

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 22:01 - Sep 23 by SE1blue

Totally.

I’d rather we just played the other British teams in a mini tournament every year.

Agree. Bring back The Home internationals.

They do the same with the Rugby albeit with the addition of Italy and France.
Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 09:16 - Sep 24 with 1225 viewsbackwaywhen

In a nutshell……. Yes
Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 09:20 - Sep 24 with 1215 viewsRadlett_blue

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 21:50 - Sep 23 by Mark

They just want the largest nations to play each other all the time to sell more TV rights and flash more LED adverts in our faces. I can hardly bring myself to watch and it is so dull.

Indeed, even the clowns at UEFA realised that everyone was bored with international friendly matches so the Nations' League was an idea to give them more meaning & create yet ANOTHER summer with a tournament finals, while the idea of the better nations playing each other would generate more money.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 13:09 - Sep 24 with 1094 viewsChorleyBoy

It's like most things which are new.If you're good at it, it's great. If not, it seems like a waste of time and effort.
Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 14:14 - Sep 24 with 1011 viewsMattinLondon

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 22:01 - Sep 23 by SE1blue

Totally.

Unfortunately I don’t think that town centres up and down the country would want that to happen.
Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 14:37 - Sep 24 with 996 viewsTrequartista

Yes in that it is forcing us to play glorified friendlies against opposition of UEFA's choosing rather than friendlies against countries of our own choosing.

I don't think it is extra fixtures though, as we would be playing official friendlies instead of glorified friendlies anyway.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 14:47 - Sep 24 with 971 viewsRadlett_blue

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 14:37 - Sep 24 by Trequartista

Yes in that it is forcing us to play glorified friendlies against opposition of UEFA's choosing rather than friendlies against countries of our own choosing.

I don't think it is extra fixtures though, as we would be playing official friendlies instead of glorified friendlies anyway.

Yes, the only extra fixtures are the finals. I preferred it when there was a summer free of football so we all had a break & were looking forward to the new season with anticipation.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 14:53 - Sep 24 with 965 viewsTrequartista

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 14:47 - Sep 24 by Radlett_blue

Yes, the only extra fixtures are the finals. I preferred it when there was a summer free of football so we all had a break & were looking forward to the new season with anticipation.

Absolutely, a benefit for the fans and players alike. As much as I love the World Cup Finals, players that play in winter leagues are never near 100% fitness physically and mentally at the tournament, they need 2 months off. It will be interesting to see if this year's World Cup is of higher quality in games where the temperature is reasonable.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2022 14:53]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 15:06 - Sep 24 with 953 viewsstonojnr

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 21:59 - Sep 23 by Illinoisblue

So what you're saying is England should have qualified for the WC and then not played anymore for a whole calendar year, the last qualifier was Nov 21st 21, the 1st WC group game is Nov 21st 22.
Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 16:29 - Sep 24 with 871 viewsGrammarman

Is the nation's league a waste of time? You get player's and manager's complaining about all the fixtures they have to play and the fixture pile ups etc. especially with the world cup in a few weeks time. So what do others think? Is this so called tournament a waste of time?
Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 16:42 - Sep 24 with 850 viewsJ2BLUE

Any international football outside of the Euros or the world cup is just tedious.

There is nothing more dull than an England friendly. The nations league is great for the smaller nation. For the bigger nations the glorified friendlies are boring.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is the Nations League a waste of time? on 16:45 - Sep 24 with 846 viewsTheBoyBlue

Yep. On its own, I couldn't care less about us being 'relegated' to the B level or whatever it is. However, it apparently may have a detrimental effect on seedings for future qualifiers for the Euros and so presumably makes it harder to blood newbies compared to friendlies. Especially in this time leading up to the WC, that is not ideal.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024