Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley 20:26 - Oct 1 with 4191 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Instead of Cook a couple of years back. Well, thank Christ they had no sway at the club. Always offered up a horrendous brand of football and always will.
I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 20:29 - Oct 1 with 3036 viewsbelgablue

I know what you mean, but at that point we were so desperate for anything other than Lambert that Cowley really would have been an improvement.

But I think we are so lucky to have McK now

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 20:30 - Oct 1 with 3022 viewsbazza

To be fair I’d have taken Danny de Vito over cook ..
I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 20:30 - Oct 1 with 3023 viewshomer_123

I'd still take Cowley over Hirst or Lambert or Cook... which I said at the time.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2022 20:31]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 20:34 - Oct 1 with 2987 viewsgtsb1966

He has done well there though. Wouldn't want him no but he is doing a steady job. Think some people are going over the top with the vitriol to be honest.
I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 20:36 - Oct 1 with 2960 viewsSwansea_Blue

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 20:30 - Oct 1 by homer_123

I'd still take Cowley over Hirst or Lambert or Cook... which I said at the time.

And me. Cook was a shoite Paul Jewell.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 20:55 - Oct 1 with 2886 viewsFromReuserWithLove

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 20:36 - Oct 1 by Swansea_Blue

And me. Cook was a shoite Paul Jewell.

Nah, Cook for all his faults signed the core of this team and wanted to play the right way. Rather we took the Cook path the Cowley one.
I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 20:59 - Oct 1 with 2849 viewshomer_123

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 20:55 - Oct 1 by FromReuserWithLove

Nah, Cook for all his faults signed the core of this team and wanted to play the right way. Rather we took the Cook path the Cowley one.

The core of this team?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 21:00 - Oct 1 with 2843 viewsgalacticoblue

‘Clamouring’ that is really over egging what was the case. Some people thought he might be a decent option more like.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2022 21:01]
Login to get fewer ads

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 21:02 - Oct 1 with 2821 viewsSwansea_Blue

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 20:55 - Oct 1 by FromReuserWithLove

His recruitment was ok in the main, I’ll certainly give him that (although presumably others were involved). But even if we give him all the credit, that’s fine. He had a few duds, but then so do most. I didn’t warm to him as a manager though. He lacked emotional intelligence for me.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2022 21:07]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 21:06 - Oct 1 with 2776 viewsbungaytractor

Cowley's bunch of mugs imo rubbish football much better with mc kenna
I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 21:46 - Oct 1 with 2668 viewsChurchman

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 20:30 - Oct 1 by homer_123

I don’t think I ever clamoured for Cowley - never much liked the bloke or the way his teams play. But he was excellent at Lincoln and is doing well at Portsmouth so credit where it’s due.

Better than Lambert and Hurst, obviously. You can chuck nutter Keane and Jewell in that lot too. Actually Cook too thinking about it

I think KM is a better fit for this club, as I believe Mowbray would have been had he been available and wanted the job.
I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 22:04 - Oct 1 with 2556 viewsbournemouthblue

On a budget, he's probably more effective a la McCarthy and we were on a budget at the time

Now we have game changer, I'm glad we have a modern thinking manager keen to play free flowing football

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 22:46 - Oct 1 with 2398 viewsibbleobble

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 20:59 - Oct 1 by homer_123

The core of this team?

I’d say Walton, Edmundson, Morsy, Evans, Chaplin and Burns are the core of the team and most make up the spine of it too.
I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 22:56 - Oct 1 with 2371 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

He's better than Cook and you'd probably not even heard of KM at the time but it all worked out anyway.
I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 23:04 - Oct 1 with 2344 viewsParisBlue

That was pre-takeover though.

I very much doubt we'd have been able to attract McKenna under the previous ownership, not that we would have tried.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 23:11 - Oct 1 with 2319 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 22:46 - Oct 1 by ibbleobble

I’d say Walton, Edmundson, Morsy, Evans, Chaplin and Burns are the core of the team and most make up the spine of it too.

I'm speculating but I doubt he had quite as much to do with all of these as you might think.
What Marcus and some fans don’t understand is that a key criteria … on 23:21 - Oct 1 with 2283 viewsunstableblue

… for this club and the Soffolk footballing fans is a manager who can deliver passing football that is entertaining

The Cowleys were never that

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 23:24 - Oct 1 with 2267 viewsMattinLondon

Hindsight is a fantastic thing unfortunately most decisions are made without consulting it.

There wasn’t that many posters calling for him and this was chiefly due to his football at Lincoln being rather agricultural. But, the list available then, as well as the circumstances of the club were totally different.

Let’s not be disingenuous and say that we were then, an attractive club, capable of recruiting a young highly rated coach, as what we were since Evans left.
I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 23:39 - Oct 1 with 2218 viewsjeera

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 23:24 - Oct 1 by MattinLondon

Hindsight is a fantastic thing unfortunately most decisions are made without consulting it.

There wasn’t that many posters calling for him and this was chiefly due to his football at Lincoln being rather agricultural. But, the list available then, as well as the circumstances of the club were totally different.

Let’s not be disingenuous and say that we were then, an attractive club, capable of recruiting a young highly rated coach, as what we were since Evans left.

And there was no McKenna in the frame in those days so it was a case of desperation as we looked about frantically for any glimmer of hope in any place we could spot it.

Context is key as always.

I was taken in by the hype on the potential of Cook or Ross. Cook turned out to be hopeless and Ross [apparently] didn't want to know and hasn't exactly gone on to better things.

We've had a result and need to continue to appreciate it. To reiterate though, that includes making allowances for growth with a young manager who is still learning despite heaps of potential.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 23:51 - Oct 1 with 2170 viewsKropotkin123

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 20:59 - Oct 1 by homer_123

The core of this team?

# Player: League One minutes this season - who signed the player
1= Christian Walton: 990 - Cook
1= Janoi Donacien: 990 - Hirst
1= Lee Evans: 990 - Cook
1= Sam Morsy: 990 - Cook
5 Luke Woolfenden: 900 - Youth
6 Conor Chaplin: 745 - Cook
7 Leif Davis: 738 - McKenna
8 George Edmundson: 720 - Cook
9 Marcus Harness: 687 - McKenna
10 Wes Burns: 686 - Cook
11 Freddie Ladapo: 576 - Mckenna

I don't think we need to pretend he was dreadful at everything. Clearly Cook turned out to be bad at training the players. But he has made a significant contribution to identifying good players for Ashton to bring in.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 07:43 - Oct 2 with 1982 viewsitfcjoe

Cowley is a better manager than Cook and is currently proving that, would have been a better replacement for Lambert at the time it was made.

The best thing about Cook is that he was so rubbish he was able to be removed quickly to make way for McKenna, Cowley wouldn’t have failed so badly so we wouldn’t have got Kieran so all worked out for the best

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 07:53 - Oct 2 with 1934 viewsChurchman

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 23:51 - Oct 1 by Kropotkin123

# Player: League One minutes this season - who signed the player
1= Christian Walton: 990 - Cook
1= Janoi Donacien: 990 - Hirst
1= Lee Evans: 990 - Cook
1= Sam Morsy: 990 - Cook
5 Luke Woolfenden: 900 - Youth
6 Conor Chaplin: 745 - Cook
7 Leif Davis: 738 - McKenna
8 George Edmundson: 720 - Cook
9 Marcus Harness: 687 - McKenna
10 Wes Burns: 686 - Cook
11 Freddie Ladapo: 576 - Mckenna

I don't think we need to pretend he was dreadful at everything. Clearly Cook turned out to be bad at training the players. But he has made a significant contribution to identifying good players for Ashton to bring in.

Paul Cook certainly knew a player. There were one or two that didn’t work out but that’s the case with even the very best. Cook tried his hardest too. He just turned out to be a poor fit in my view.
(No subject) (n/t) on 08:08 - Oct 2 with 1890 viewsibbleobble

The core of this team?

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 08:45 - Oct 2 with 1829 viewsitfcjoe

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 07:53 - Oct 2 by Churchman

Paul Cook certainly knew a player. There were one or two that didn’t work out but that’s the case with even the very best. Cook tried his hardest too. He just turned out to be a poor fit in my view.

We were recruiting for a League 1 side on a Championship budget, so in my view couldn’t fail to recruit well.

We’d have recruited differently without him, but when you look at money spent and wages paid, is there anyone bar Burns who would be seen as a really smart bit of recruitment?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 09:04 - Oct 2 with 1753 viewsunstableblue

I vividly remember a few on here clamouring for Cowley on 07:43 - Oct 2 by itfcjoe

Cowley is a better manager than Cook and is currently proving that, would have been a better replacement for Lambert at the time it was made.

The best thing about Cook is that he was so rubbish he was able to be removed quickly to make way for McKenna, Cowley wouldn’t have failed so badly so we wouldn’t have got Kieran so all worked out for the best

I think you raise an interesting point.

Cowley would have perhaps become like another Mick. A good manager; we would have become more effective than we were under Cook. But all the while fans would have a nagging feeling they weren’t enjoying the football, and the crowds wouldn’t have returned in their droves.

Cook didn’t do what it said on the tin - perhaps it really was his assistant at Wigan. We were expecting attractive passing football at pace. Whereas we got amateur hour. Still I enjoyed Pompey and Wycombe away so much under Cook! When the system did actually work.

I wonder if Chesterfield will fail again? Deadpools Wrexham and their big crowds and resurgent Notts County look favourites.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024