Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What has/does TWTD make 09:51 - Oct 23 with 18046 viewschicoazul

…of Morsy not wearing the rainbow armband on Friday?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What has/does TWTD make on 12:53 - Oct 23 with 2302 viewschicoazul

What has/does TWTD make on 12:50 - Oct 23 by SlippinJimmyJuan

So then I have to question, why did you make the post? You invited speculation about a topic, before implying that someone is a homophobe, and then finally shifting the goalpost to say that we don't in fact know. You talked about good faith in your last reply, this seems a lot like bad faith to me.

I’d like you to tell me where I implied that please.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

What has/does TWTD make on 13:03 - Oct 23 with 2279 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

What has/does TWTD make on 12:53 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

I’d like you to tell me where I implied that please.

That nonsense about not knowing whether he's secretly abusing someone for their sexuality - you've got no evidence to suggest that and acting as if it is the same as not knowing someone's beliefs is disingenuous. I think you know exactly what you're trying to do, but on you wriggle.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

What has/does TWTD make on 13:06 - Oct 23 with 2251 viewschicoazul

What has/does TWTD make on 13:03 - Oct 23 by SlippinJimmyJuan

That nonsense about not knowing whether he's secretly abusing someone for their sexuality - you've got no evidence to suggest that and acting as if it is the same as not knowing someone's beliefs is disingenuous. I think you know exactly what you're trying to do, but on you wriggle.

We don’t *know* that, do we. You’re saying we do know that. That’s my simple point.

What we do know is that he didn’t wear the armband this weekend. The purpose of this thread, for the hard of thinking, is to find out what TWTD thinks about that.

What has/does TWTD make on 13:10 - Oct 23 with 2239 viewsDubtractor

What has/does TWTD make on 12:25 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

So if they are indeed welcomed and needed, how do you feel about Morsy not wearing an armband on a weekend when captains across Europe are wearing one? Not trying to gotacha you by the way.

I would far prefer him to have worn it, but I can't get too worked up by the fact that he seemingly chose not to. I'm an atheist, and think organised religion is a nonsense, but others think differently and I'm not going to go on a crusade (badum tish) to try and change anyone's mind.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What has/does TWTD make on 13:14 - Oct 23 with 2228 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

What has/does TWTD make on 13:06 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

We don’t *know* that, do we. You’re saying we do know that. That’s my simple point.

What we do know is that he didn’t wear the armband this weekend. The purpose of this thread, for the hard of thinking, is to find out what TWTD thinks about that.

I actually said that we do not know what his beliefs are. Therefore, we should assume innocence. I think that about sums up my point of view and it looks like we are teetering ever closer to a silly and protracted argument. I'm not into that and I'm sure you have better things to do, so I'll leave it there.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

What has/does TWTD make on 13:16 - Oct 23 with 2223 viewschicoazul

What has/does TWTD make on 13:14 - Oct 23 by SlippinJimmyJuan

I actually said that we do not know what his beliefs are. Therefore, we should assume innocence. I think that about sums up my point of view and it looks like we are teetering ever closer to a silly and protracted argument. I'm not into that and I'm sure you have better things to do, so I'll leave it there.

You said he conscientiously objected to wearing one in public. I’m afraid we simply don’t know that is the case. That’s all.

Probably a lot less than.... on 13:51 - Oct 23 with 2179 viewsTrequartista

Probably a lot less than.... on 12:08 - Oct 23 by Bloots

....if it was someone else.

Personally I think that any sort of "statement of support" political, sexual or religious should be an individual's choice and as long as that individual is not derogatory in any way towards others then I don't see an issue.

Furthermore, if you took away that individual's choice, you are then applying an authoritarian stance not dissimilar to that which is applied to those you are seeking to support in the first place.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

What has/does TWTD make on 14:01 - Oct 23 with 2139 viewsElephantintheRoom

IF it was a conscious choice then I rather admire him for it. Footballers shouldn’t be used as virtue signalling dummies - especially rather thuggish ones.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

What has/does TWTD make on 14:16 - Oct 23 with 2143 viewsBluearmy71

My feelings on Sam not wearing an rainbow armband is the same as those that do wear one......It is entirely their choice, you should not be dictated to or pressured by anyone just because you think differently, after all does the rainbow nowadays not represent a freedom of choice for those who wish their lives as they want and rightly so??

My feelings on this thread...

You knew exactly what you wanted to achieve with this thread no matter its cleverly worded title, you have singled out our captain for not doing something you think he should have done and have judged him because his religion is Muslim, you cannot tar the whole religion with the same brush same as you can't any religion (If he were Catholic would you have done the same thread??) Your only goal with this thread was to cause controversy and segregate an individual and subsequently trapping others via this post for not to conforming to your thoughts, its total provocation and you know it and unlike Sam Morsy' decision to not wear a rainbow armband (Is it not more wrong to wear such an armband cos you feel you have to??........I'll bet ya a tidy penny there were a few Captains who felt they had to do so over the weekend.....but being non Muslim it doesn't show, right??) I have no respect for your decision to make this post!!

No matter what your life choice is, if you have love for football then you can stand beside me and cheer on your team, it just so happens we are all Town fans and very proud to be so!!

Reading the latter comments I hope ur happy how ur post turned out!!
What has/does TWTD make on 14:27 - Oct 23 with 2126 viewsDJR

You won't get anyone more tolerant or pro-LGBTQ+ than me, but I think the thing that trumps everything, and is what we are fighting for in Ukraine, is freedom and particularly freedom of expression, subject to that freedom not straying into hate, discrimination or racism. It appears to be the case that Morsy has exercised his freedom of expression by not wearing the armband, but he has not gone any further, so I would not condemn him for doing so, particularly as he has potentially opened himself up to abuse on social media. To paraphrase a phrase Votaire is reported to have said "I would defend to the death Morsy's right to do what he has done" even though I don't agree with what he has done. Sadly, there is an increasing intolerance these days of different opinions. The right tend to call this cancel culture, but it cuts both ways because the right is equal intolerant of views it does not agree with. Take, for example, recent action by the Government to prevent people speaking to the Civil Service who have ever expressed views critical of the Tories. The main thing for me is that Uefa and the clubs are promoting this campaign, and the fact that the odd player doesn't fully embrace this doesn't really detract from this unless the reaction to, say, Morsy's action such that it outweighs the benefits of the campaign. It would be nice to think that a similar campaign could be run during the World Cup in a country where, I believe, homosexuality can lead to the death penalty. Indeed, one could ask who is being the more discriminatory: Morsy by not wearing an armband (on the one hand) or FIFA by awarding the World Cup to Qatar and the teams for taking part (on the other)? Indeed, all those who condemn Morsy's action should perhaps follow it through by boycotting viewing the World Cup.
What has/does TWTD make on 14:27 - Oct 23 with 2110 viewsJ2BLUE

What has/does TWTD make on 14:16 - Oct 23 by Bluearmy71

My feelings on Sam not wearing an rainbow armband is the same as those that do wear one......It is entirely their choice, you should not be dictated to or pressured by anyone just because you think differently, after all does the rainbow nowadays not represent a freedom of choice for those who wish their lives as they want and rightly so??

You knew exactly what you wanted to achieve with this thread no matter its cleverly worded title, you have singled out our captain for not doing something you think he should have done and have judged him because his religion is Muslim, you cannot tar the whole religion with the same brush same as you can't any religion (If he were Catholic would you have done the same thread??) Your only goal with this thread was to cause controversy and segregate an individual and subsequently trapping others via this post for not to conforming to your thoughts, its total provocation and you know it and unlike Sam Morsy' decision to not wear a rainbow armband (Is it not more wrong to wear such an armband cos you feel you have to??........I'll bet ya a tidy penny there were a few Captains who felt they had to do so over the weekend.....but being non Muslim it doesn't show, right??) I have no respect for your decision to make this post!!

No matter what your life choice is, if you have love for football then you can stand beside me and cheer on your team, it just so happens we are all Town fans and very proud to be so!!

I don't think he's targeting Islam, I think he's just a sh1t stirring cock.

You've changed Chico. Used to be a great poster. Now you're a Poundland troll. What happened?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What has/does TWTD make on 14:55 - Oct 23 with 2019 viewschicoazul

What has/does TWTD make on 14:16 - Oct 23 by Bluearmy71

If you’d care to read the thread title (it’s at the top) you’ll see I’m interested in what TWTD thinks. I haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon will.
You’re dumb.

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 14:57 - Oct 23 with 2010 viewsDyland

What has/does TWTD make on 14:55 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

If you’d care to read the thread title (it’s at the top) you’ll see I’m interested in what TWTD thinks. I haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon will.
You’re dumb.

Nah don't bother ya doofus x

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

What has/does TWTD make on 15:09 - Oct 23 with 1970 viewsBluearmy71

What has/does TWTD make on 14:55 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

You’re dumb.

Dumb enough to see right through you eh!!

P.S

A lot of other members have also!!
"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 15:19 - Oct 23 with 1931 viewschicoazul

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 14:57 - Oct 23 by Dyland

Nah don't bother ya doofus x

FWIW it’s not a very hot take; we should withhold judgement until we hear from the club why he didn’t wear one. Hopefully Phil has asked or is about to. We should then pick apart what is said in the usual TWTD fashion. I have no opinion other than that at the moment simply because there could be several reasons one of which is it was just a dumb oversight (although I’ll have an opinion on that too).

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 15:28 - Oct 23 with 1876 viewsnoggin

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 15:19 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

FWIW it’s not a very hot take; we should withhold judgement until we hear from the club why he didn’t wear one. Hopefully Phil has asked or is about to. We should then pick apart what is said in the usual TWTD fashion. I have no opinion other than that at the moment simply because there could be several reasons one of which is it was just a dumb oversight (although I’ll have an opinion on that too).

Why should anyone ask him why?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

What has/does TWTD make on 15:29 - Oct 23 with 1876 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

What has/does TWTD make on 09:56 - Oct 23 by Dubtractor

Honestly, I'm not sure I care. If he'd actively spoken against it then that would be one thing, but just quietly going about his business, I assume because of his religious beliefs, doesn't really warrant too much drama.

I'd feel the same if someone chose not to wear a poppy, or chose not to take the knee, so I'm consistent here!

Edit: Just for clarity, I fully support the rainbow laces thing, and movements to make the LGBTQ community feel included are welcome and needed.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2022 10:01]

Didn't notice.

Agree it's about being consistent. Individual choice on such matters is important, whether it's taking the knee, having a shirt either a poppy on or wearing a rainbow armband. If a player doesn't want to, they shouldn't have to. As long as they are going about their business quietly and not making a stance against other choosing to do what they want to do.

His argument might be religious tolerance, we might not agree with it but an employer shouldn't force it on him either.

Same with everything in wider society really. The law shouldn't impact on someone's health choices or individual views as long as it's not affecting other peoples ability to live their life how they want to. It's a fine line with some things for sure and freedom of choice doesn't always mean freedom of consequence. If people had a little more respect in general it would probably be more a non issue.
"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 15:44 - Oct 23 with 1825 viewschicoazul

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 15:28 - Oct 23 by noggin

Why should anyone ask him why?

Many people are entitled to be very interested in why our captain was the exception this weekend. It’s a fair question.

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 15:47 - Oct 23 with 1820 viewsnoggin

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 15:44 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

Many people are entitled to be very interested in why our captain was the exception this weekend. It’s a fair question.

Why? If he says "I didn't want to" Would you make any assumptions from that?

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 15:58 - Oct 23 with 1769 viewschicoazul

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 15:47 - Oct 23 by noggin

Why? If he says "I didn't want to" Would you make any assumptions from that?

I would, yes. But we shouldn’t be worrying about what he might say, hence me and I think many others would like to hear from him.

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 16:03 - Oct 23 with 1734 viewsJ2BLUE

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 15:58 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

I would, yes. But we shouldn’t be worrying about what he might say, hence me and I think many others would like to hear from him.

So what then? What if we ask him and he says it was for religious reasons?

It then attracts much more attention and blows up. You know what the reason likely is. Stop stirring.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 16:09 - Oct 23 with 1709 viewschicoazul

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 16:03 - Oct 23 by J2BLUE

So what then? What if we ask him and he says it was for religious reasons?

It then attracts much more attention and blows up. You know what the reason likely is. Stop stirring.

Very interesting to see some people think it doesn’t matter or that we shouldn’t even be asking him or the club, or even discussing this at all.

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 16:10 - Oct 23 with 1697 viewsnoggin

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 15:58 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

So if he then replied, "It's nothing to do with you" Then what?

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 16:13 - Oct 23 with 1690 viewschicoazul

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 16:10 - Oct 23 by noggin

So if he then replied, "It's nothing to do with you" Then what?

If that’s what happens you’ll find out.

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 16:14 - Oct 23 with 1686 viewsnoggin

"haven’t posted any of my own feelings or theories so far although I soon on 16:13 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

If that’s what happens you’ll find out.

Ok, what would you expect to happen?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024