Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oriental 09:34 - Dec 20 with 4214 viewsWicksy

Apparently now offensive.
'Come on down to our Oriental town' is a lyric in a production of Aladdin.
People taking offense .

The cars in the churchyard Were shiny and German Distinctly at odds with The theme of the sermon

Oriental on 09:35 - Dec 20 with 3146 viewsJ2BLUE

Hasn't that been the case for at least a decade?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Oriental on 09:37 - Dec 20 with 3125 viewsWicksy

Oriental on 09:35 - Dec 20 by J2BLUE

First I've heard of it

The cars in the churchyard Were shiny and German Distinctly at odds with The theme of the sermon

Oriental on 09:43 - Dec 20 with 3090 viewsKeno

Oriental on 09:37 - Dec 20 by Wicksy

First I've heard of it

So what do we have to a certain footie team?

Leyton Indo-china

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Oriental on 09:45 - Dec 20 with 3081 viewshype313

Oriental on 09:43 - Dec 20 by Keno

Leyton Indo-china

Wondered why Lynx stopped selling it.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Oriental on 09:48 - Dec 20 with 3069 viewsWicksy

Leyton Indo-china

Indeed- and what about the Orient Express?

Oriental on 09:49 - Dec 20 with 3052 viewshomer_123

Oriental on 09:45 - Dec 20 by hype313

Wondered why Lynx stopped selling it.

Cause it was sh*t

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Oriental on 09:49 - Dec 20 with 3053 viewsKeno

Oriental on 09:48 - Dec 20 by Wicksy

Indeed- and what about the Orient Express?

Oh no! Gutted my local take away will have to change its name!!

Oriental on 09:52 - Dec 20 with 3039 viewshomer_123

Not sure on this one.

If memory serves, there was a push in the States to have it removed from law, as it was based on links to Imperialism?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Oriental on 10:15 - Dec 20 with 2971 viewsPendejo

Is that because it's generic rather than specific?

Oriental being a Spanish word for eastern so it seems an odd word to take issue with. It refers to pretty much everything East of Bangladesh: China, Japa, Korea, Vietnam, Laos etc.

Recently I cringed when visiting a pub near Swindon Shopping Village and Colombian friend who was over for a few days used the Spanish word for black. Then realised that as the only white English make in our party I was the only one thinking of the negative context in English of that word.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Oriental on 10:20 - Dec 20 with 2948 viewsArnoldMoorhen

It's literally Latin for Eastern. Occidental being Western.

The two things that are potentially problematic about it are that, firstly, it implies that the centre of the world is London, and therefore that the defining characteristic of a place or culture is is It's longitude relative to the UK, and secondly that millenia old cultures such as the Chinese, Japanese and Korean civilisations can be lumped together under one generic adjective.

Then you have the ridiculousness of it being used in the USA when eg China and Japan are very much to the West.

You also have the additional problem that "Chicken Oriental" is rhyming slang for "Mental".

In this case, as Oriental is defined against where someone is, it is nonsensical for townspeople to call their home "Oriental".

It's a really easy lyric to change, as the rhyme isn't dependent on it. "Come on down, join us in our joyful town" would work, for example.

I'm surprised that that is perceived to be the most racially sensitive thing in the average production of Aladdin, though!
Oriental on 10:26 - Dec 20 with 2915 viewsKeno

Oriental on 10:20 - Dec 20 by ArnoldMoorhen

The two things that are potentially problematic about it are that, firstly, it implies that the centre of the world is London, and therefore that the defining characteristic of a place or culture is is It's longitude relative to the UK, and secondly that millenia old cultures such as the Chinese, Japanese and Korean civilisations can be lumped together under one generic adjective.

Then you have the ridiculousness of it being used in the USA when eg China and Japan are very much to the West.

You also have the additional problem that "Chicken Oriental" is rhyming slang for "Mental".

In this case, as Oriental is defined against where someone is, it is nonsensical for townspeople to call their home "Oriental".

It's a really easy lyric to change, as the rhyme isn't dependent on it. "Come on down, join us in our joyful town" would work, for example.

I'm surprised that that is perceived to be the most racially sensitive thing in the average production of Aladdin, though!

"it implies that the centre of the world is London,"

eh we all not the centre of the whole world, hey the universe is the centre spot at Portman Road

Oriental on 10:30 - Dec 20 with 2898 viewsronnyd

To many people. Asia starts at Calais.
Oriental on 10:47 - Dec 20 with 2785 viewsDecageBruce

Oriental on 10:15 - Dec 20 by Pendejo

Oriental being a Spanish word for eastern so it seems an odd word to take issue with. It refers to pretty much everything East of Bangladesh: China, Japa, Korea, Vietnam, Laos etc.

Recently I cringed when visiting a pub near Swindon Shopping Village and Colombian friend who was over for a few days used the Spanish word for black. Then realised that as the only white English make in our party I was the only one thinking of the negative context in English of that word.

The Dolphin?
Oriental on 11:03 - Dec 20 with 2751 viewsWacko

Leyton Indo-china

This thread is making me feel a bit disindo-chinated

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Oriental on 11:15 - Dec 20 with 2688 viewsWicksy

The other contentious aspect of this particular production is that it's an all white cast. Now that's understandable

Oriental on 11:31 - Dec 20 with 2649 viewsDeano69

They must have their heads exploding over the lyrics of 'When a child is born'

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Oriental on 13:09 - Dec 20 with 2496 viewsjeera

Language evolves along with our understanding.

I suppose it's a word that was used and is no longer appropriate as it generalises, as others have pointed out.

Given the anti-Europe sentiment we see so much of then it makes it all the more understandable doesn't it:

"You Europeans are all the same"

"I'm not European, I'm bloody well English mate".

"Well that's what we've always called you Brits, you're all European to us".

"Well best you fecking well change it then sunshine".

It's not hard really.

It's not a big deal to replace it with more appropriate descriptors really.

*I admit to my script being totally contrived but can't be bothered to come up with anything more suitable.

Edit: the most offensive part of your post is the US spelling of 'offence'!
[Post edited 20 Dec 2022 13:10]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Oriental on 13:10 - Dec 20 with 2493 viewsjeera

At least.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Oriental on 13:19 - Dec 20 with 2434 viewsIpswichRising

Leyton Indo-china

Does that also mean that P&O are going to have to change their name
Oriental on 13:23 - Dec 20 with 2407 viewsjaykay

if they are to the west , is that where that dreadful shorten word for western oriental gentleman comes from ?

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Oriental on 13:24 - Dec 20 with 2409 viewslowhouseblue

Oriental on 10:15 - Dec 20 by Pendejo

the issue isn't that it lacks specificity - we would have to stop using the terms 'westerners' and 'the west' if that was the case.

the problem is that the historical use of the word was deeply imbued with overt racism.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Oriental on 13:49 - Dec 20 with 2308 viewsPinewoodblue

Oriental on 10:30 - Dec 20 by ronnyd

To many people. Asia starts at Calais.

Starts a lot nearer than that.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Oriental on 14:01 - Dec 20 with 2260 viewsDJR

This appears to be a typically twisted Mail story which is manna from Heaven for the anti-woke.

Don't forget "woke" means alert to injustice and racism, which to my mind is an admirable thing. And the main issue in the story is a lack of diverse casting for a pantomime set in the East, and in a city (Liverpool) which has had a Chinese population for centuries. But the story also includes the comments of an Asian actor who has played Aladdin in a West End production and who believes the use of the expression in question has racist connotations.

But don't let the truth get in the way of an opportunity to fight the culture wars.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2022 14:43]
Oriental on 14:02 - Dec 20 with 2260 viewsSaigonTractor

A good rule of thumb is that whenever you read something is "apparently offensive" it usually means 1 weirdo brought it up and then Daily Mail readers start frothing at the mouth assuming everyone under 35 thinks the same thing.
Oriental on 14:59 - Dec 20 with 2134 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

As I understand it you can call a thing Oriental, such as a rug, but not a person. It's south east Asian.

Don't believe everything the Mail/Express tell you.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024