Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? 10:40 - Dec 28 with 4075 viewsunstableblue

When we’re playing in League One and not the Championship?

It’s not because the team is in a better league position, or doing well, we were just in the Championship play off places on that Boxing Day

Someone raised on an earlier thread that is was 10,000 more in the ground for Ipswich 3 Oxford 0, as compared to Ipswich 2-1 QPR, on that Boxing Day 2015. With a late Chambers header sealing the win. It was in fact 5000. But that’s a sizeable difference in attendance, especially as the previous season we had made the Championship play-offs, albeit with no chance of progressing through them.

Why on earth have we got so many more fans attending? When people are apparently tightening their belts in 22/23. And for the likes of Oxford.

It’s quite simple the Ipswich footballing public want to be entertained and to watch attractive football played on the floor. Optimism about the ownership group helps, but it’s the football fare innit. End of. And I remember leaving that QPR game in 2015, despite the 3 points, feeling very underwhelmed. I wasn’t alone as later attendances that season and the following confirm.

Let’s read the EADT report of that QPR game:

“This was no Boxing Day blockbuster with both teams equally sluggish in a first half which was utterly flat both on and off the pitch.
Very little happened in the game until first-half stoppage-time. Chambers headed a gilt-edged chance narrowly wide in the first added on minute, then QPR scored out of nowhere when Hoilett nodded in Leroy Fer’s cross from close-range.”
The second half was a marginally better.. Mick McCarthy’s men finally got the ball down on the deck.
A draw would probably have been a fair reflection of the game, but Town stole all three points at the penultimate minute of added on time.”

That QPR game was the highest of the 2015/16 season, by the end getting 16k against Fulham; 17k against Charlton.

Vying for the 6th spot we were booed off the pitch after a poor performance and loss to relegation threatened Rotherham in one of our final games.

Thank God for McKenna and the footballing ethos we demand - we’ve got our Ipswich back - now let’s get in the Championship and continue to fill Portman road with happy and entertained fans.

The dark days are over.

COYB!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 11:31 - Dec 28 with 3701 viewsChrisd

There’s so many good things that are happening around the club, there’s a feel good factor about ITFC, greater connection with its fanbase and let’s be brutally honest the football is so much more easier to digest now that you can see why we sold out a few days ago. The momentum that is happening off the pitch, coincides with what’s happening on it, things are happening which makes it an exciting time to be part of that journey.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 11:34 - Dec 28 with 3687 viewsSteve_M

How about comparing with the attendances at the end of 2014-15, the last season that was as good as this one at this point in the season. Charlton on 30 December 2014 was 26,157. This season is very enjoyable but we should be doing well, we have one of the biggest budgets in the League. McCarthy didn't and kept us overperforming our budget for years.

Quite frankly, if we don't get promoted this season and the spending dies up then it won't matter how good the football is if we are still in League 1 - attendances will drop off again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 11:37 - Dec 28 with 3650 viewsDarth_Koont

When we do well and win games, fans come back. It’s pretty simple.

Even Mick brought thousands of fans back when he took over from Jewell and started getting a tune out of the team.

Pronouns: He/Him

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 11:38 - Dec 28 with 3656 viewsJ2BLUE

MM said it again during the Norwich game that no one criticises you when you're winning. That is completely untrue. The winning was nice but many games were boring and quite a fe on here were outspoken about the fact the football was, to use a quote, 'dire'. MM was very good for us and is clearly an excellent man manager but there was a definite clash between his style and the style of play many wanted to see. Again, that's not necessarily on him as he had fook all to work with and it's amazing he propped us up for as long as he did.

It's not really surprising that people are returning under McKenna. It feels like not just a league one promotion push but the days we will look back on when we get to the Premier League as the first days of the rebuild.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 12:00 - Dec 28 with 3486 viewsunstableblue

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 11:38 - Dec 28 by J2BLUE

MM said it again during the Norwich game that no one criticises you when you're winning. That is completely untrue. The winning was nice but many games were boring and quite a fe on here were outspoken about the fact the football was, to use a quote, 'dire'. MM was very good for us and is clearly an excellent man manager but there was a definite clash between his style and the style of play many wanted to see. Again, that's not necessarily on him as he had fook all to work with and it's amazing he propped us up for as long as he did.

It's not really surprising that people are returning under McKenna. It feels like not just a league one promotion push but the days we will look back on when we get to the Premier League as the first days of the rebuild.

Hear hear J2

Mick saved us from relegation, brought some good characters to the club, and gave us a really exciting season in the play off push (albeit we had not chance of going through to the Premiership) - you’d pay to watch that Murphy purple patch season.

Where Evans let Mick and the fans down was not saying after the 15/16 season, well done Mick, you came and made a temporary difference to the club, but your ethos and approach is not long term and for the club. This isn’t a project it’s a sticking plaster.

And we’d have parted really well. No doubt Marcus would have fecked up his immediate replacement in 2016.

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 12:09 - Dec 28 with 3432 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I was speaking to a family member who went to the Friday night Derby game - he’s a West Ham season ticket holder but went with an Ipswich supporting mate. He loved it at Portman Road, good atmosphere, decent players and buzz around the place. Was interesting to get an unbiased perspective.

West Ham may be in the Prem, but the stadium views are cr&p, Moyes football fairly dour, fickle fans, lots of fairly casual fans who only buy a season ticket there because they are cheaper than a pint of beer, and they are struggling in the league.
Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 12:16 - Dec 28 with 3375 viewsIllinoisblue

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 11:34 - Dec 28 by Steve_M

How about comparing with the attendances at the end of 2014-15, the last season that was as good as this one at this point in the season. Charlton on 30 December 2014 was 26,157. This season is very enjoyable but we should be doing well, we have one of the biggest budgets in the League. McCarthy didn't and kept us overperforming our budget for years.

Quite frankly, if we don't get promoted this season and the spending dies up then it won't matter how good the football is if we are still in League 1 - attendances will drop off again.

Re your last bit; given all that’s going on at the club, failure is really not an option. It would burst so many bubbles if we don’t go up. Which makes this transfer window one of the most important in the club’s history. A HUGE five months coming up.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 12:24 - Dec 28 with 3320 viewsbraveblue

Entertaining football. Good owners and a CEO who knows about football. Intelligent young manager rather than a miserable old git who plays with a back 8!!
Login to get fewer ads

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 12:27 - Dec 28 with 3283 viewsunstableblue

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 12:09 - Dec 28 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I was speaking to a family member who went to the Friday night Derby game - he’s a West Ham season ticket holder but went with an Ipswich supporting mate. He loved it at Portman Road, good atmosphere, decent players and buzz around the place. Was interesting to get an unbiased perspective.

West Ham may be in the Prem, but the stadium views are cr&p, Moyes football fairly dour, fickle fans, lots of fairly casual fans who only buy a season ticket there because they are cheaper than a pint of beer, and they are struggling in the league.

Know a lot of West Ham fans, they like Moyes but the football is really beginning to grate - they know it isn’t the attacking West Ham style, but lived with it when results were going well.

Now their fortunes on the pitch are failing the inevitability of a brand of football bites.

It’s the same at Spurs under Conte… they are way too defensive in firs halves of games. Low possession, it’s not what fans want.

Did you know Ipswich have the one of the highest possession stats in all the leagues, up there with Man City. That’s what town fans want.

NoW take Sheffield Weds their forums are in melt down, with half the fans disgruntled with the manager because the football is dire to watch and there is only Plan A. And yet fans call out they have 2 PPG and in the automatic mix. Yet crowds are dwindling!

Fans at clubs like Town want to be invested in a good brand of entertaining football.

Unless you’re Wycombe fans of course… who are invested in celebrating ugliness

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 12:33 - Dec 28 with 3240 viewsIllinoisblue

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 12:27 - Dec 28 by unstableblue

Know a lot of West Ham fans, they like Moyes but the football is really beginning to grate - they know it isn’t the attacking West Ham style, but lived with it when results were going well.

Now their fortunes on the pitch are failing the inevitability of a brand of football bites.

It’s the same at Spurs under Conte… they are way too defensive in firs halves of games. Low possession, it’s not what fans want.

Did you know Ipswich have the one of the highest possession stats in all the leagues, up there with Man City. That’s what town fans want.

NoW take Sheffield Weds their forums are in melt down, with half the fans disgruntled with the manager because the football is dire to watch and there is only Plan A. And yet fans call out they have 2 PPG and in the automatic mix. Yet crowds are dwindling!

Fans at clubs like Town want to be invested in a good brand of entertaining football.

Unless you’re Wycombe fans of course… who are invested in celebrating ugliness

It does seem like Moore is not particularly rated by a number of Owls fans but their attendances are not “dwindling”

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 12:38 - Dec 28 with 3207 viewsunstableblue

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 11:34 - Dec 28 by Steve_M

The average league attendance for the 14/15 season was 19,603

Our league average attendance this season is 25,533

We played Cardiff and Blackpool in our penultimate games when fighting for play-off place in 14/15 with crowds of 19,200 and 17,700!

We got 25,400 against Cheltenham Town in league one this term! 24,849 against Peterborough! Full price tickets.

We got 28,702 full price against Oxford.

People are more excited and more invested in this manager, this team, and this playing style. End of.

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 13:17 - Dec 28 with 3025 viewssticklegs

People like to watch a winning team and be entertained, it's as simple as that.
Keeping the ticket prices stable has also helped. With the rapid rise in the cost of most things we buy, twenty quid to watch Ipswich now seems like very good value.
Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 14:11 - Dec 28 with 2856 viewstiptreeblue

Because, even that season the football was pretty boring to watch, I nearly gave up my season ticket up that season, but thought that, as we were so close, he would change the style for the next season, how wrong was I? lol
Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 14:30 - Dec 28 with 2753 viewsitfcjoe

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 12:38 - Dec 28 by unstableblue

The average league attendance for the 14/15 season was 19,603

Our league average attendance this season is 25,533

We played Cardiff and Blackpool in our penultimate games when fighting for play-off place in 14/15 with crowds of 19,200 and 17,700!

We got 25,400 against Cheltenham Town in league one this term! 24,849 against Peterborough! Full price tickets.

We got 28,702 full price against Oxford.

People are more excited and more invested in this manager, this team, and this playing style. End of.

For McKenna’s first game we had about 28k in vs Sunderland.

Our attendances are mostly increased to a higher base level because of what is going on off the pitch; and then the winning football pushes it up from there and it becomes a virtuous circle

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 16:04 - Dec 28 with 2580 viewspatrickswell

I can only presume that Unstable heard Mick doing commentary on the Luton-Norwich game on Boxing Day and thought, "Ooh, I must get around to writing another of my posts in which I use Kieran McKenna as a stick to bash Mick McCarthy with."

Thank God for McKenna indeed, I bet Kieran thanks God he didn't have to work under the biggest architect of our 2010s malaise.
Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 16:43 - Dec 28 with 2495 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 16:04 - Dec 28 by patrickswell

I can only presume that Unstable heard Mick doing commentary on the Luton-Norwich game on Boxing Day and thought, "Ooh, I must get around to writing another of my posts in which I use Kieran McKenna as a stick to bash Mick McCarthy with."

Thank God for McKenna indeed, I bet Kieran thanks God he didn't have to work under the biggest architect of our 2010s malaise.

I don’t think McCarthy should get the blame as much as he does. Yes the football was hard to watch and I certainly didn’t attend games as much as I do now. However. he was merely a symptom of our demise - Marcus Evans was the disease.
Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 16:46 - Dec 28 with 2469 viewsSharkey

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 16:43 - Dec 28 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I don’t think McCarthy should get the blame as much as he does. Yes the football was hard to watch and I certainly didn’t attend games as much as I do now. However. he was merely a symptom of our demise - Marcus Evans was the disease.

McCarthy should get stick mostly for referring to the players by their nicknames. My toes have only recently fully uncurled.
Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 17:19 - Dec 28 with 2345 viewsunstableblue

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 16:04 - Dec 28 by patrickswell

Happy Christmas Patrick… my post was actually inspired by this one:

I genuinely can’t believe it by bluebudgie 26 Dec 2022 12:05
Just to put the incredible support into context, we played QPR on Boxing day just 5 years ago and the crowd was a very poor 18,696 so it just shows with the right ownership, manager, and all-round feel-good factor this club is thriving, gaining over 10000 fans in 5 years.

Thought 10,000 seemed a massive delta - When I looked for the game, I found the Boxing Day game I highlighted… at 5000 less than the Oxford game this season…. now come on, you’ve got to write that up, no? And the EADT report surely needs replaying?

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 17:48 - Dec 28 with 2219 viewsstonojnr

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 12:09 - Dec 28 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I know beer in London can be expensive, but buying a season ticket for West Ham seems a curious way to go about getting a beer, especially as the stadium I think charges the most of all the PL teams, its £6.30 a pint even with West Ham subsidising it for the fans.

in terms of Towns boxing day games, youve got to remember the impact the weather has & how holidays play a big role in it.

I used to know lots of fans who would miss the games over Christmas at home as they were off visiting family elsewhere, or jetting off to holiday somewhere warm.
Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 17:58 - Dec 28 with 2188 viewsStewart27

Completely agree.

I think Mick gets a lot of stick because he was the longest serving manager of that toxic era. It was really sad and very typical of Evans’ reign that he had to see out his town days the way he did.

But on a personal level it was under Mick and Evans that I fell out of love with Town. I had a very young son that I wanted to introduce to ITFC and I was struggling to get him on board when all his school mates supported Spurs.

Fast forward and we are both season ticket holders and I’ve managed to win his heart and the vibe around Portman Road is better now than I could have ever anticipated.

But we do need to go up!
Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 19:52 - Dec 28 with 2023 viewsunstableblue

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 17:58 - Dec 28 by Stewart27

Completely agree.

I think Mick gets a lot of stick because he was the longest serving manager of that toxic era. It was really sad and very typical of Evans’ reign that he had to see out his town days the way he did.

But on a personal level it was under Mick and Evans that I fell out of love with Town. I had a very young son that I wanted to introduce to ITFC and I was struggling to get him on board when all his school mates supported Spurs.

Fast forward and we are both season ticket holders and I’ve managed to win his heart and the vibe around Portman Road is better now than I could have ever anticipated.

But we do need to go up!

Completely mirrors my experience, started to bring my lad at an age when he could get into football during the Evans/Mick tenure… as well as his mate… they were just bored, again read that EADT write-up to remind yourself what it was like.

The boys didn’t really connect with the Hurst/Lambert/Cook tenure, despite some bright games

But now they are absolutely hooked on McKenna and we’re all season ticket holders.

I watched the full replay of the first half from Oxford Boxing Day game… reminded how on top Oxford were initially, but that last 15mins alone Town really turned it on, with some great movement and attacking plays… I’d forgotten a beautiful move ending in a Harness shot.. exciting

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 00:26 - Dec 29 with 1704 viewspatrickswell

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 14:11 - Dec 28 by tiptreeblue

Because, even that season the football was pretty boring to watch, I nearly gave up my season ticket up that season, but thought that, as we were so close, he would change the style for the next season, how wrong was I? lol

Well I hope you had your faith restored watching us get relegated and then fart around going nowhere in League One once he'd gone.

If people had focussed their discontent towards the true source of our decline instead of the only manager in a decade who knew what he was doing, then maybe we wouldn't have had to wait so long for something to get excited about.
Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 07:31 - Dec 29 with 1498 viewsKropotkin123

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 11:38 - Dec 28 by J2BLUE

I think this is very fair and succinct.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 09:32 - Dec 29 with 1327 viewsStewart27

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 00:26 - Dec 29 by patrickswell

Well I hope you had your faith restored watching us get relegated and then fart around going nowhere in League One once he'd gone.

If people had focussed their discontent towards the true source of our decline instead of the only manager in a decade who knew what he was doing, then maybe we wouldn't have had to wait so long for something to get excited about.

Just because we hired a bunch of losers post Mick, doesn’t make the last few years he was here any better.

I’m pleased to be rid of the lot of them.

Imagining McCarthy here now under game changer makes me shudder. You only have to speak to a few Cardiff fans.
Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 09:45 - Dec 29 with 1300 viewsSteve_M

Why have we got 5,000 more fans in the ground boxing day than in 2015? on 14:11 - Dec 28 by tiptreeblue

McCarthy did change the style for 15-16, the pressing of players like Tabb & Stephen Hunt replaced by fast wingers in Fraser and AMN. It was the worst thing he did here because when that got exposed we didn't have the players to revert to the previous season's approach.

If you were genuinely bored watching us at Portman Road in 2014-15 then I'm not entirely sure football is the right sport for you.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024