Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Atmosphere and general thoughts 12:06 - Jan 8 with 6875 viewsJakeITFC

Made a late decision to go yesterday and so ended up sitting in the lower Churchmans for the first time since I was about 16 (view was like watching those Town in 5 videos that they put out after the games).

First of all, thought it was great that there was such a good crowd in for such a game - the areas that were open were pretty full and the lower North looked especially good. Thought the team repaid them with an impressive performance - Rotherham might be the worst that the Championship has to offer but they didn't lay a glove on us and we played some really nice football at times.

The atmosphere was weird for me - I could see the Blue Action lads at the back of Section 5 doing brilliantly and could hear them but it the sound certainly didn't travel to make it loud in the South Stand (in fact the 30 or so Rotherham fans singing Matty Taylor's red and white army sounded much louder in the second half) and it was only when the chants of Super Kieran McKenna or Allez Allez Allez went up (and the rest of the North Stand joined in) that it was significantly audible (and also caused the rest of the ground to clap and join in at a murmur).

I realise this is a bit rambly but something really needs to improve the acoustics in the ground so that the good work being done by Blue Action doesn't go to waste - a similar amount of Palace fans in their ground make a hell of a racket and have fans joining in throughout the game. I realise my comment above about the closer fans sounding louder isn't rocket science but it seems like our ground is one of the few where 30 fans sound louder than 500.
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 17:58 - Jan 8 with 1451 viewsArnieM

I think the first two comments in this thread back up my view posted on another the thread. The drum was loud, but there was less singing because the frown couldn’t hear one another ( in section 5) like they usually do snd therefore join in. The drum actually stopped those around me who normally sing, from singing ( you could only hear the drum). So in my humble opinion it wasn’t better.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 18:00 - Jan 8 with 1440 viewsbadadski

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:16 - Jan 8 by gainsboroughblue

The acoustics are absolutely dreadful and the worst aspect of the ground imo. What can be done though?

There is a German team if I recall that has their speaker and Tannoy system installed by bowers and Wilkins or bang and olufson - either way they have installed strategically placed microphones to pick up the crowd noise and amplified that noise through larger speakers dotted through out the stadium. It enhances what volume it picks up and then spreads it encouraging more to join in.
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 18:12 - Jan 8 with 1390 viewsTJS

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 18:00 - Jan 8 by badadski

There is a German team if I recall that has their speaker and Tannoy system installed by bowers and Wilkins or bang and olufson - either way they have installed strategically placed microphones to pick up the crowd noise and amplified that noise through larger speakers dotted through out the stadium. It enhances what volume it picks up and then spreads it encouraging more to join in.

I’m a bit uncomfortable with this concept. You could end up with completely fake crowd noise and even less people bothering to sing.
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 09:20 - Jan 9 with 1289 viewsBattersea_Blue

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 14:51 - Jan 8 by sotd78

Move your group somewhere higher. Sir Alf if needs be. Or Block A Cobbold. But unless the club wants to upset a lot of very long standing fans I don't see you getting the middle of the North.
Unreserved rail seating would be one possible solution.

Whilst yesterday was better for the second half you do seem to have songs that us oldies don't know. I sat mid tier Magnus yesterday. Normally in the lower terrace there. You are going to need to go some to wake the rest of the ground. Most of whom seem over 65.
I remember being 16 and getting just as frustrated by the atmosphere when we had only single stands either end. Nothing changes.

I'm of that age group, but back in the day it seemed the sound carried better when we had the smaller stands. Or perhaps we did just sing more.

I remember competitions between the north stand (where I always stood) and Churchmans, even down us in the north stand belting out a song, then singing "Churchmans Churchmans gives us a song, Churchmans give us a song".

They would often get one going, the north would clap profusely.

Sometimes, when there weren't many away fans standing next to us, resulting in the north being a bit quiet, Churchmans would sing "North stand north stand give us a song, North stand, give us a song".

Them were the days . . .
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 09:55 - Jan 9 with 1234 viewsnoggin

Apart from it being a little cheaper, I don't see why the singers insist on staying in SBRL. The upper tiers are clearly better suited to creating an atmosphere.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 09:59 - Jan 9 with 1232 viewsWickets

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:33 - Jan 8 by Bobbychase

Just a thought. When they were rebuilding the old North Stand, and all us season ticket holders were moved from there to the upper tier of what is now the Sir Alf in 2001-2002, the atmosphere was decent. Something about the design of the roof over that upper tier, it was really noisy.

So maybe if some people decided to sing down that end it might help.

No if there is a lack of atmosphere its the North stands fault !
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 10:14 - Jan 9 with 1207 viewsPinewoodblue

Saturday was our first visit since Blue Action came into being, was in disabled section of Churchman’s view is not the best, it is what happens when you convert standing area into seating. Ideally the front row would be at least six feet above the playing surface.

Was disappointed with the noise coming from North stand in the first half, as voices were being drowned out by the drumming. Didn’t really improve until Rotherham scored.

While I can understand BA’s thinking it might be they need a rethink. It isn’t reasonable, some would say it is selfish, to expect others to move just so you can be where you want to be. You could relocate but it is probably too late now if it was going to happen it should have been while attendance figures were falling, not rising. Suspect however the additional cost of bring elsewhere would be a handicap to growth.

Chanting, rather than singing meaningful songs, will always be picked up more easily by those nearby and in other stands. I know you want to be original but when you finally come across a new chant it will soon spread to other clubs and people will forget who sang it first.

Look forward to seeing what questions you ask in your survey. Whatever happens will continue to make donations to help finance banners etc. Don’t give up.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 10:17 - Jan 9 with 1201 viewsCuffy81

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 10:14 - Jan 9 by Pinewoodblue

Saturday was our first visit since Blue Action came into being, was in disabled section of Churchman’s view is not the best, it is what happens when you convert standing area into seating. Ideally the front row would be at least six feet above the playing surface.

Was disappointed with the noise coming from North stand in the first half, as voices were being drowned out by the drumming. Didn’t really improve until Rotherham scored.

While I can understand BA’s thinking it might be they need a rethink. It isn’t reasonable, some would say it is selfish, to expect others to move just so you can be where you want to be. You could relocate but it is probably too late now if it was going to happen it should have been while attendance figures were falling, not rising. Suspect however the additional cost of bring elsewhere would be a handicap to growth.

Chanting, rather than singing meaningful songs, will always be picked up more easily by those nearby and in other stands. I know you want to be original but when you finally come across a new chant it will soon spread to other clubs and people will forget who sang it first.

Look forward to seeing what questions you ask in your survey. Whatever happens will continue to make donations to help finance banners etc. Don’t give up.

Appreciate everything Blue Action do, but I will not be moving seats to accommodate them wanting to be central. I love my seat and the people around me.
Login to get fewer ads

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 10:19 - Jan 9 with 1188 viewsmickymills

Agree with you on this.
I normally sit(stand) in SBR section 5. I try to sing and am passionate about the club, however i am surrounded by so many who appear to be passionless.
On Saturday i sat on the Cobbold Terrace as I brought my 9 year old to the game.
Was great to see and hear the section 6 lot having a good go in the middle.
My main observation being away from SBR Lower for one game is how dull and atmosphere lacking the rest of the ground is. Moreover, football is a passionate game, where we go to support the team we love.
We were surrounded by a real mixture of people on Saturday. Young and old, male and female. However, most literally just sat on their hands. Hardly any emotion even when we scored. I'm Suffolk born and bred. Is this reserved behaviour a Suffolk thing or is this lack of passion just endemic throughout our support?
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 11:14 - Jan 9 with 1144 viewsBecclesITFC

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:43 - Jan 8 by Blue_Order

Section 5 was great yesterday, was pretty much constant for 90 minutes (the back half where we were at least anyway). Problem is, as always, that a lot of other north standers just don’t join in. Was a full row in front of us that still stood in silence the whole game. In my opinion, those types should be sitting somewhere else, and it should be full of folk that do want to sing and contribute.

We had a guest with us from an ultra group from Universitatea Craiova who lives here now and usually sits in the west stand to watch games. He reckoned it was the best he’s seen and heard it since he’s been going. Granted, he was in amongst it which obviously makes a difference, but we had a lot of folk commending us after the game and online too.

We can’t do much about the acoustics, but if we had a designated central singing section where everyone joined in, we would have a decent atmosphere. It’s just getting the club and the current ST holders in that area to see the benefit and commit to it.

It will pay off eventually, just keep up the good work!! I think a lot of the kids upstairs are desperate to grow up and join in.

There are a lot of people around me (S5) who love what you do, but perhaps not down with the ultra scene but happy to watch but not participate!

I start a lot of chants in our area and I rely on S4 to hear me and join in. S5 are the best seats so it will be hard getting people to move.

Sound doesn’t travel well. Hopefully success will bring a redeveloped stadium in time!
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:06 - Jan 9 with 1073 viewsnoggin

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 09:20 - Jan 9 by Battersea_Blue

I'm of that age group, but back in the day it seemed the sound carried better when we had the smaller stands. Or perhaps we did just sing more.

I remember competitions between the north stand (where I always stood) and Churchmans, even down us in the north stand belting out a song, then singing "Churchmans Churchmans gives us a song, Churchmans give us a song".

They would often get one going, the north would clap profusely.

Sometimes, when there weren't many away fans standing next to us, resulting in the north being a bit quiet, Churchmans would sing "North stand north stand give us a song, North stand, give us a song".

Them were the days . . .

Bobby Robson did call us zombies, to be fair.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:23 - Jan 9 with 1024 viewsnodge_blue

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 13:02 - Jan 8 by Blue_Order

Yeah, we make a concerted effort to try and keep the same song rolling for 5+ minutes, rather than firing through one verse of every song 8 times a game. Gives folk more of a chance to join in and build them up too.

We had a basic ring of fire chant going for a few minutes in the build up to the first goal… celebrated the goal, then straight back into it until half time. I love that.

I posted last week that I thought we ought to sing a version of the Lincoln song...

hoist up the Ipswich flag , hear the tractor boys sing etc....

how about it?

really think that would be good with the drumming
[Post edited 9 Jan 2023 12:35]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 16:30 - Jan 9 with 876 viewsSlambo

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 17:58 - Jan 8 by ArnieM

I think the first two comments in this thread back up my view posted on another the thread. The drum was loud, but there was less singing because the frown couldn’t hear one another ( in section 5) like they usually do snd therefore join in. The drum actually stopped those around me who normally sing, from singing ( you could only hear the drum). So in my humble opinion it wasn’t better.

Yeah, I saw your comment in that other thread. So we've had flat atmospheres due to it being too hot, being too cold, to it being an early kick off, to it being a late kick off; we hear that there are too many new chants, but then that their aren't enough new ones. Now we hear people were put off because...the drum was too loud. If we hadn't been there it would've been because it's only the first round of the cup and it's only Rotherham. Excuses excuses. If the people didn't sing it's because they couldn't be ar$ed, or are too self conscious, or it's just not how they watch football. Fine - everyone has the right to support the club how they see fit. But let's not delude ourselves. It also doesn't make sense: if I was someone who loved singing at football and 20+ lads and a drum came piling in i'd be absolutely loving it, not standing there in silence. What's more, we were watching ticket sales pretty closely and they only started to sell once they'd gone on general sale, which leads me to believe it wasn't the regular crowd, but those taking advantage of the cheap tickets or, I dare say, to join in with us...

There is also a myth that you're perpetuating here that section 5 was doing just fine thank you very much and these pesky section 6 oiks are ruining it by singing over them all the time and banging that blessed drum. Let me tell you, were the case, Blue Action would not exist. I had a plumb spot at the back of section 5 and made the move to start BA precisely because the atmos was so dreadful. Remember also that we LAUNCHED in section 5, but quickly abandoned it because it was lifeless. Yes, occasionally, something comes out of section 5, or that far upper corner of 6, but we are the only ones who maintain it throughout the game. The sooner we get us - with our passion and our energy - into a place where can properly unite the whole stand, the better it'll be for EVERYONE...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 18:44 - Jan 9 with 765 viewsSlambo

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 09:55 - Jan 9 by noggin

Apart from it being a little cheaper, I don't see why the singers insist on staying in SBRL. The upper tiers are clearly better suited to creating an atmosphere.

The club have been pretty categorical that we cannot be accommodated anywhere else in the ground. So it's North Lower or bust...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024