Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leppings Lane End 15:13 - Jan 8 with 7410 viewsOldsmoker

I was going to post this earlier but decided not to, hoping that someone else would start the thread and I could add to it.
It seems the FA cup match betweeh Wed and Newcastle had a very crowded Leppings Lane end. The notorious center section where so many died in the Hillsborough disaster was once again rammed full.
This time it was the stewards who seem to be at fault with marshalling the fans to the right sections.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/horrifying-images-of-newcastle-fans-cra

I hope there's an inquiry about this.
My second hope is no team gets drawn to Wed away this next round before they hold the inquiry.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Leppings Lane End on 15:17 - Jan 8 with 6439 viewsSitfcB

Saw this last night, horrible to think about, replies to it aren’t great either.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Leppings Lane End on 15:29 - Jan 8 with 6293 viewsIllinoisblue

The whole stand should have been demolished and rebuilt. And I say that as someone who was in the upper tier in 1990 for our 2-2 draw there.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Leppings Lane End on 15:45 - Jan 8 with 6116 viewsSteve_M

Leppings Lane End on 15:29 - Jan 8 by Illinoisblue

The whole stand should have been demolished and rebuilt. And I say that as someone who was in the upper tier in 1990 for our 2-2 draw there.

The upper tier remains a very good place to watch football. I never have watched, and never want to watch, a match from the lower tier there.

Odd that Newcastle had the lower tier when the top tier was not full, when we were there it was only the top tier on sale to away fans.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 16:03]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Leppings Lane End on 15:47 - Jan 8 with 6087 viewsbluelagos

Leppings Lane End on 15:45 - Jan 8 by Steve_M

The upper tier remains a very good place to watch football. I never have watched, and never want to watch, a match from the lower tier there.

Odd that Newcastle had the lower tier when the top tier was not full, when we were there it was only the top tier on sale to away fans.

Fa cup you get 15% allocation so SWFC gave them both tiers I think.

League game it's away fans top tier, home in bottom tier.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Leppings Lane End on 15:55 - Jan 8 with 6010 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Leppings Lane End on 15:47 - Jan 8 by bluelagos

The comments appear to suggest that fans with seats in the top tier were being directed to the lower tier exacerbating the problem.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Leppings Lane End on 16:04 - Jan 8 with 5912 viewsSteve_M

Ah, yes that's probably the case.

There was a 'not' unhelpfully missing on the top tier in my post.

Leppings Lane End on 16:14 - Jan 8 with 5820 viewsIllinoisblue

Leppings Lane End on 15:55 - Jan 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

The comments appear to suggest that fans with seats in the top tier were being directed to the lower tier exacerbating the problem.

If true, they should have to play behind closed doors until they get their s5it together.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Leppings Lane End on 16:33 - Jan 8 with 5563 viewsITFC_Forever

Occasionally for very small followings, the away fans have only had the lower tier.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Leppings Lane End on 17:23 - Jan 8 with 5273 viewsNickITFC

It is a terrible stand. When we went there earlier this year the concourse area was extremely overcrowded at times, sadly it does seem lack of stewarding in the stand could be an issue. Yet there were dozens outside searching us!
Leppings Lane End on 17:43 - Jan 8 with 5160 viewsMalcolmMeatballHead

That bloody stand is a horribly designed curse and a horrible reminder of sad times.

Can't wait til the day it's knocked down and rebuilt
Leppings Lane End on 20:27 - Jan 8 with 4903 viewsFearon

Leppings Lane End on 17:23 - Jan 8 by NickITFC

It is a terrible stand. When we went there earlier this year the concourse area was extremely overcrowded at times, sadly it does seem lack of stewarding in the stand could be an issue. Yet there were dozens outside searching us!

Totally agree. After the game we were crammed in the concourse shuffling towards one exit with other exits further along completely unused. A group of 5 stewards stood together chatting and laughing whilst totally ignoring the crowd.
Leppings Lane End on 20:31 - Jan 8 with 4862 viewsGeomorph

Leppings Lane End on 15:45 - Jan 8 by Steve_M

Was in the lower Leppings the day we got relegated from div 1 … crappy little cage of a stand iirc
Leppings Lane End on 05:07 - Jan 9 with 4486 viewsWalkley_owl

For context the stand was 2k under full capacity and this picture was taken at the same sort of time which shows it has been made an issue for no reason

https://tinypic.host/i/received-1649470418819463.pNOwh
Leppings Lane End on 05:34 - Jan 9 with 4453 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Leppings Lane End on 05:07 - Jan 9 by Walkley_owl

For context the stand was 2k under full capacity and this picture was taken at the same sort of time which shows it has been made an issue for no reason

So you’re going to ignore the literal dozens of replies in that thread from away fans who’ve been in that stand and said it’s the worst and most dangerous they’ve been in anywhere in England?

Also.. your picture you’re using to defend this shows plenty of empty seats other than one quite clearly overpopulated section where people are obviously being crammed in. Can you not see that’s the issue? It’s 2k under full capacity and yet one section has a massive overspill of supporters?

If it was any ground and any stand in England it would be a huge cause for concern and should be looked into immediately. But the fact it’s at THAT ground in THAT stand... it doesn’t bear thinking about how recklessly stupid and disgraceful it is that it’s been allowed to happen.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Leppings Lane End on 07:01 - Jan 9 with 4287 viewsEly_Blue

Leppings Lane End on 15:17 - Jan 8 by SitfcB

Saw this last night, horrible to think about, replies to it aren’t great either.

And to think we have sections of our own fans who complain about the stewarding in the SBR stand at PR when they are marshalled to the top tier when they have a ticket for that area and that they aren’t allowed to overcrowd the lower tier.

I wonder how many of those hypocrites are commenting on this post

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Leppings Lane End on 07:50 - Jan 9 with 4113 viewsDJR

Leppings Lane End on 20:31 - Jan 8 by Geomorph

Was in the lower Leppings the day we got relegated from div 1 … crappy little cage of a stand iirc

Me too.
Leppings Lane End on 07:52 - Jan 9 with 4107 viewsbluelagos

Leppings Lane End on 05:07 - Jan 9 by Walkley_owl

Rommers makes the point far politer than I would.

You have posted a picture that clearly shows complete inbalance in how the fans were distributed, in a stand that was under capacity.

That you claim it was "made an issue for no reason" juet shows how ignorant you are and dismissive of people's experiences.

Throw in the history of your club, hosting a match in a ground without a safety certificate, where innocent people died (down to the distrbution of fans in that stand) I'd suggest being a bit more open to people's concerns over safety concerns.

Andi if that is beyond you, I'd suggest you fdk off back under whatever rock you crawled out of and leave the thread to people who understand that public safety is more important than your desire to defend the indefensible.

Leppings Lane End on 07:54 - Jan 9 with 4096 viewsSteve_M

Leppings Lane End on 05:34 - Jan 9 by The_Romford_Blue

So you’re going to ignore the literal dozens of replies in that thread from away fans who’ve been in that stand and said it’s the worst and most dangerous they’ve been in anywhere in England?

Also.. your picture you’re using to defend this shows plenty of empty seats other than one quite clearly overpopulated section where people are obviously being crammed in. Can you not see that’s the issue? It’s 2k under full capacity and yet one section has a massive overspill of supporters?

If it was any ground and any stand in England it would be a huge cause for concern and should be looked into immediately. But the fact it’s at THAT ground in THAT stand... it doesn’t bear thinking about how recklessly stupid and disgraceful it is that it’s been allowed to happen.

"Also.. your picture you’re using to defend this shows plenty of empty seats other than one quite clearly overpopulated section where people are obviously being crammed in. Can you not see that’s the issue? It’s 2k under full capacity and yet one section has a massive overspill of supporters?"

Nail. Head.

Leppings Lane End on 07:57 - Jan 9 with 4079 viewsbluelagos

Leppings Lane End on 07:54 - Jan 9 by Steve_M

"Also.. your picture you’re using to defend this shows plenty of empty seats other than one quite clearly overpopulated section where people are obviously being crammed in. Can you not see that’s the issue? It’s 2k under full capacity and yet one section has a massive overspill of supporters?"

Nail. Head.

That boy Rommers has come a long way.

Leppings Lane End on 08:14 - Jan 9 with 3996 viewsChurchman

Leppings Lane End on 15:29 - Jan 8 by Illinoisblue

I’m surprised the stand hasn’t been replaced, along with its accesses, after all this time. I know - cost.

I get the shivers whenever I see a picture of that stand and automatically think of all those poor people killed and injured going to a football match.
Leppings Lane End on 08:29 - Jan 9 with 3949 viewsitfcjoe

It's incredible that that stand is still there, still with the same issues as it had. The same bottle necks to get fans into the ground, the same tunnels leading to the seats.

It should have been knocked down and rebuilt - Hillsborough is a fantastic place to watch football in the main, and the upper tier is superb, but that area is simply unsafe with the entrances and the lack of stewarding. The concourses are too small, the route down to the entrance is too small and it's just not right

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Leppings Lane End on 10:19 - Jan 9 with 3622 viewsbluelagos

Update: Looks like the FA are to look into the issues.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fa-looking-into-reports-of-overcrowding-at-hi

Leppings Lane End on 10:28 - Jan 10 with 3305 viewsbluelagos

Some more reporting here.

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2023-01-09/it-wasnt-safe-the-newcastle-fans-c

Leppings Lane End on 07:57 - Mar 14 with 2368 viewsbluelagos

An update. Reductions of the capacity of both tiers now in place.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/13/hillsborough-capacity-reduced-a

really? on 08:46 - Mar 14 with 2194 viewsDyland

Leppings Lane End on 15:55 - Jan 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

If true, that is beyond flabbergasting.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024