Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Racist shouting in lower SBR stand 09:03 - Jan 16 with 6447 viewsMartus

I had a clearly drunk "fan" near me on Saturday shouting some despicable things at Plymouth's black players and just shouting foul language the whole time . Absolutely shocked by some of the things he was saying - told his mate next to him to have a word with him. As i said this his mate then shouts the "N" word and you could see those around him were clearly uncomfortable with him and shocked and a few of us around him told him what we thought of that.

I went to a steward at half time to report it and she was very good and told me it would be handled and thanked me for reporting it. But, they waited to full time to pull him aside. Rather disappointed with that as the fans around him - especially the elderly couple in-front of him, were clearly uncomfortable with him.

Hope he is banned for life - couldn't believe what i was hearing.

"Bobby conquered Europe!!! And we won the FA cuuuuup!"

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 10:28 - Jan 16 with 5100 viewsChorleyBoy

I would rather he/they were educated for life rather than banned for life.
Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 10:33 - Jan 16 with 5055 viewstimothyeo

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 10:28 - Jan 16 by ChorleyBoy

A grown man shouting the N word at a football match in 2023 is likely beyond any form of education and should be banned for life regardless.

Sounds like stewards took the easy option.
Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 10:39 - Jan 16 with 4969 viewsMattinLondon

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 10:33 - Jan 16 by timothyeo

A grown man shouting the N word at a football match in 2023 is likely beyond any form of education and should be banned for life regardless.

Exactly this and the old alcohol excuse cannot be used. I’m surprised that the stewards didn’t just haul him out.
Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 10:50 - Jan 16 with 4869 viewsMartus

Exactly. I couldn't believe it. I was expecting them to come and take him away but I guess it would cause a lot of disruption in the terrace and those around him.

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 10:55 - Jan 16 with 4794 viewsEly_Blue

If I recall isn’t there a hotline number where you can report this kind of stuff at the game?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 10:58 - Jan 16 with 4758 viewsbluelagos

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 10:50 - Jan 16 by Martus

Exactly. I couldn't believe it. I was expecting them to come and take him away but I guess it would cause a lot of disruption in the terrace and those around him.

Yep.

Whilst in an ideal world the guys would have been removed sooner/immediately, presumably the stewards have to consider the risk of a possible confrontation.

They also may have spent time witnessing for themselves the behaviour so they have a rock solid case in/when they make sanctions.

Sounds like you did all and others did all you could, spoke to them and stewards which hopefully will result in them not attending again, as it should be easy enough for the club to identify who the seats were sold to.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 11:00 - Jan 16 with 4718 viewsbilllm

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 10:50 - Jan 16 by Martus

I've seen fans take out inthe upper SBR, they do it very well, and the evicted has no where to go but with them,
Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 11:29 - Jan 16 with 4600 viewsChorleyBoy

It looks like the stewards timing was very inappropriate action. The men in question should have been removed straight away.

My point was not to be lenient on this idiots but to look at the bigger picture. I don't want a society where banning, cancelling and encarcerating people who say the wrong things to become the norm. History tells us that's a fast track to an authoritarian state and a very broken society.

[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 11:37]
Login to get fewer ads

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 11:29 - Jan 16 with 4591 viewsringwoodblue

Unfortunately these sort of people are still about.

You did all you could by reporting it and let’s hope the club exclude them from future games.

I won’t begin to try to understand how these people’s mind works but presumably he thinks the same about our players of the same skin colour or are they exempt from his abuse because they have a Town shirt on?

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 11:36 - Jan 16 with 4519 viewsclive_baker

Sorry to hear that you and others had to experience that. From my time going along to watch Town I don't think I've ever heard any racist language and like to think it's a very small minority. On the whole Ipswich fans are welcoming and the fan base and town itself historically has had diversity which has probably helped that.

Anyone found guilty should be banned, no ifs or buts for me.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 11:57 - Jan 16 with 4334 viewsMartus

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 11:36 - Jan 16 by clive_baker

Sorry to hear that you and others had to experience that. From my time going along to watch Town I don't think I've ever heard any racist language and like to think it's a very small minority. On the whole Ipswich fans are welcoming and the fan base and town itself historically has had diversity which has probably helped that.

Anyone found guilty should be banned, no ifs or buts for me.

First time I've witnessed anything like it. Never, ever, had any trouble at the football before and just went to he steward to make them aware of it. Wasn't sure what they would do - so i'm happy that they did take it seriously and eventually taken care of.

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 12:00 - Jan 16 with 4303 viewsMartus

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 11:29 - Jan 16 by ChorleyBoy

It looks like the stewards timing was very inappropriate action. The men in question should have been removed straight away.

My point was not to be lenient on this idiots but to look at the bigger picture. I don't want a society where banning, cancelling and encarcerating people who say the wrong things to become the norm. History tells us that's a fast track to an authoritarian state and a very broken society.

[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 11:37]

Understand what you are saying.

But the man was in his 30's/40's and clearly trying to be as insulting as possible. Knew exactly what he was saying and clearly knows what the implications are.

[Redacted] on 12:18 - Jan 16 with 4138 viewsvictorywilhappen

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 12:00 - Jan 16 by Martus

But the man was in his 30's/40's and clearly trying to be as insulting as possible. Knew exactly what he was saying and clearly knows what the implications are.

[Redacted]
Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 12:35 - Jan 16 with 3986 viewsChorleyBoy

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 12:00 - Jan 16 by Martus

Fair enough. It sounds like he was being intentionally provocative rather than just ignorant.

Thanks for the explanation.
Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 12:45 - Jan 16 with 3910 viewsThisIsMyUsername

There was a 'man' in the lower Cobbold (the family area FFS), right at the North Stand end, who twice got up and absolutely screamed abuse in the face of Mumba (a 21 year old) when he went over to take a throw. I don't know what he said as I could only see him. Thankfully a steward told him to wind it in.

If it was you and you're reading this, you really need to find a more healthy and constructive method of channeling your emotions and aggression, as it really isn't a good look for you.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 12:47 - Jan 16 with 3873 viewslongtimefan

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 10:55 - Jan 16 by Ely_Blue

If I recall isn’t there a hotline number where you can report this kind of stuff at the game?

There is.

"The Stamp It Out text number, 07834 439229, is available for all supporters to report discreetly any incident they feel needs attention, enabling the Club to investigate"
Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 12:51 - Jan 16 with 3817 viewsDJR

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 12:45 - Jan 16 by ThisIsMyUsername

There was a 'man' in the lower Cobbold (the family area FFS), right at the North Stand end, who twice got up and absolutely screamed abuse in the face of Mumba (a 21 year old) when he went over to take a throw. I don't know what he said as I could only see him. Thankfully a steward told him to wind it in.

If it was you and you're reading this, you really need to find a more healthy and constructive method of channeling your emotions and aggression, as it really isn't a good look for you.

I didn't like the abuse aimed at Mumba which came from Cobbold U2 more generally.

The reason for this is that he is a Norwich player but it didn't look right to me.

I suppose I just don't like players of any colour being abused, but abuse of black players brings back bad memories and could itself be construed as slightly racist.

In any event, it backfired because Mumba scored the equaliser.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 12:53]
Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 12:55 - Jan 16 with 3699 viewschicoazul

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 10:28 - Jan 16 by ChorleyBoy

There is no education required. Ban for life simple as.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 13:00 - Jan 16 with 3651 viewsPlums

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 12:51 - Jan 16 by DJR

I didn't like the abuse aimed at Mumba which came from Cobbold U2 more generally.

The reason for this is that he is a Norwich player but it didn't look right to me.

I suppose I just don't like players of any colour being abused, but abuse of black players brings back bad memories and could itself be construed as slightly racist.

I wondered what he was referring to. Not a good look for us:

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 13:02 - Jan 16 with 3629 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 12:51 - Jan 16 by DJR

Agree. You do wonder if it would be as vicious if they were white and also happened to be a Norwich player.

I wonder what the odds are that the guy I'm referring to also had a nasty thing to say about Saka when he missed a penalty?

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 13:08 - Jan 16 with 3504 viewsSwansea_Blue

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 13:02 - Jan 16 by ThisIsMyUsername

Agree. You do wonder if it would be as vicious if they were white and also happened to be a Norwich player.

I wonder what the odds are that the guy I'm referring to also had a nasty thing to say about Saka when he missed a penalty?

Grant Holt used to get absolutely hammered, so I don't think it's a colour issue. It is unsavoury though (i don't like the negativity in football crowds in general).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 13:33 - Jan 16 with 3289 viewsDJR

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 13:08 - Jan 16 by Swansea_Blue

Grant Holt used to get absolutely hammered, so I don't think it's a colour issue. It is unsavoury though (i don't like the negativity in football crowds in general).

But with Holt he wouldn't have suspected any racist motives. With Mumba I am not sure that is the case, particularly if in the past he has suffered racist abuse on a football pitch or in life more generally.
Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 13:36 - Jan 16 with 3238 viewstextbackup

thats really sad to read, considering we have a really decent diverse following at ITFC

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 15:12 - Jan 16 with 2860 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 13:33 - Jan 16 by DJR

But with Holt he wouldn't have suspected any racist motives. With Mumba I am not sure that is the case, particularly if in the past he has suffered racist abuse on a football pitch or in life more generally.

Definitely- When the n word was used I’d argue there was an alternative view other than being a Norwich player.

But I would always give a Norwich player past or present a little boo - make them feel a little uncomfortable.
Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 16:48 - Jan 16 with 2523 viewsSamWhiteUK

Racist shouting in lower SBR stand on 12:47 - Jan 16 by longtimefan

There is.

"The Stamp It Out text number, 07834 439229, is available for all supporters to report discreetly any incident they feel needs attention, enabling the Club to investigate"

Catchy memorable number, bet they get loads of texts
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024