Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wembley Dilemma 06:54 - Mar 9 with 3325 viewsjudespiveyg

As we all know there's a decent probability Town will be playing at Wembley come the 28th May. Naturally anyone who considers themselves slightly a Town fan will want to be there.

I am currently on a year abroad in America as part of my degree, which presents an annoying dilemma. My year ends and my visa expires two weeks before the final, but I do get a 30 day grace period where I can stay in the country. Ordinarily I'd stay as long as I absolutely could, to squeeze in a bit more travelling into what has already been an amazing year. However Town have never played at Wembley in my lifetime, and having sat through practically every home game of the 2010s I don't think I could forgive myself if I missed a trip to Wembley.

Do I book a ticket home just in time for the final, sacrificing two more weeks here by gambling they won't go up automatically or lose in the play off semis, or do I stay for two more weeks and risk not having the chance to see something Town haven't done in 23 years?

This would be a lot less annoying if Town were just cr4p like the majority of my 13 seasons as a fan.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2023 6:56]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Wembley Dilemma on 07:23 - Mar 9 with 2758 viewsbluelagos

Can you book to stay in America but get a ticket with minimal costs to change dates (if we are in the final) ?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Wembley Dilemma on 07:41 - Mar 9 with 2705 viewsmathiemagic

My advice would be to stay in the States and enjoy the rest of your time there. If (and it is only if) we get to the playoff final then just watch on the telly. Things are on the up for Town and I cant see that changing anytime soon so there will be, IMHO, more good times to come. That said, I have seen the Town at Wembley and enjoyed the experience but I would not have changed any foreign travel plans to accomodate it on the off chance we got there. Enjoy either way mate.

Poll: If we take a battering @ Norwich this weekend will MM get the sack or stay on ?

Wembley Dilemma on 07:44 - Mar 9 with 2699 viewstextbackup

Surely it’s an easy one to answer…

You are a Town fan, you don’t miss the first new Wembley visit, and chance to see your team in a final

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Wembley Dilemma on 07:57 - Mar 9 with 2641 viewsChalonerC

Tricky dilemma indeed! I faced something similar as a student touring US in 1967, with Mick Mills & the great Ray Crawford kicking off.

If I was a betting man I would aim to be back for Wembley. We all know in our heart of hearts it will be the play-offs, and we are too damn good not to get to Wembley. You will have enjoyed an amazing year already!

OldGaffer

Wembley Dilemma on 08:14 - Mar 9 with 2564 viewsStewart27

Town at Wembley for me all the way if you have the opportunity to fly back.

Given that you’ve already been in the states for a year. Plus you’ve only ever seen us during the darkest days!

I’m saying this because I’m in a similar situation. But I can’t get out of it. My missus (not me!) decided to book a big family holiday in the Caribbean and we will be there for the final. Looks like I’ll be flipping the VPN thing and pretending I’m in the UK to watch it on sky!

We did book it when we were flying high at the top of the league.
Wembley Dilemma on 08:22 - Mar 9 with 2521 viewsDaninthecampo

I've been thinking about coming back from Spain for the final if we get there, But as I've been out the country for nearly 6 years will i even be able to get a ticket consodering our current attendances?
Wembley Dilemma on 08:34 - Mar 9 with 2421 viewsBathBlue

I live in Bangkok so there’s no chance of getting back for the weekend unfortunately. If I was in your position I would definitely be looking to get to Wembley. You’ve still got a couple of months to tick things off your bucket list in the States!
Wembley Dilemma on 09:20 - Mar 9 with 2280 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’d do America. You may not get the chance again once you get more responsibilities. But you do you. If watching us is more important to you than anything else, then maybe make arrangements to come back on the off chance we may be at Wembley. I suspect it’s not the most important thing to you though or you wouldn’t have taken a year away to go to America in the first place.

We lived in the States for 7 months a few years back; I’d have done almost anything to stay longer and see more.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Wembley Dilemma on 09:21 - Mar 9 with 2281 viewsbluefunk

America will still be there in years to come, Town may never play at Wembley again, make sure you’re there if we are in the Play Off final
Wembley Dilemma on 09:31 - Mar 9 with 2237 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Wembley Dilemma on 07:44 - Mar 9 by textbackup

Surely it’s an easy one to answer…

You are a Town fan, you don’t miss the first new Wembley visit, and chance to see your team in a final

Indeed. I simply couldn't miss it - dread to think the lengths I'd go and the sacrifices I'd make! One day I'll grow up...
Wembley Dilemma on 09:34 - Mar 9 with 2216 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Wembley Dilemma on 09:20 - Mar 9 by Swansea_Blue

I’d do America. You may not get the chance again once you get more responsibilities. But you do you. If watching us is more important to you than anything else, then maybe make arrangements to come back on the off chance we may be at Wembley. I suspect it’s not the most important thing to you though or you wouldn’t have taken a year away to go to America in the first place.

We lived in the States for 7 months a few years back; I’d have done almost anything to stay longer and see more.

"I’d do America. You may not get the chance again once you get more responsibilities."

1. He's already been 'doing' America for a year and is still there. It's not like he's missing the chance.

2. With Town in a Wembley final you really might not get the chance again, responsibilities or otherwise.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Wembley Dilemma on 09:38 - Mar 9 with 2198 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Wembley Dilemma on 09:21 - Mar 9 by bluefunk

America will still be there in years to come, Town may never play at Wembley again, make sure you’re there if we are in the Play Off final

This is pretty much what I was going to post. America won't go away. The chance to see Ipswich at Wembley might. As a kid it was my dream to watch Ipswich at Wembley. I managed to in 2000 and wouldn't have changed it for the world. And at now aged 50 it remains the only chance I've had.

Also, he's done America, and still has time to rush through stuff he hasn't ticked off yet. It's not like a one-or-the-other - go to America or Wembley choice. He can have his cake AND eat it!

Wembley Dilemma on 09:41 - Mar 9 with 2200 viewsCaptainAhab

Wembley Dilemma on 08:22 - Mar 9 by Daninthecampo

I've been thinking about coming back from Spain for the final if we get there, But as I've been out the country for nearly 6 years will i even be able to get a ticket consodering our current attendances?

This is a good point, would the OP be able to get a ticket even if he did fly home? What would our allocation be, maybe 30k? They'd go to season ticket holders, then people who've been to x amount of games already this season. Doubt they'd even make it on general sale.
I remember the queue round the block for the 2000 final, you didn't stand a chance of getting a ticket if you hadn't attended all our league games.
Wembley Dilemma on 09:44 - Mar 9 with 2172 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

To add to my previous posts, your visa expiring 2 weeks before the final seems like perfect timing/a sign/omen/it was meant to be!

Then again, imagine if you came back and didn't get a ticket! If you have some way of guaranteeing you'd get one (i.e. still have a season ticket or family member with one) then it seems like a no brainer.

Watch us lift a trophy at Wembley, complete your degree with flying colours, get a well-payed job, go back to America. There, sorted!

Wembley Dilemma on 09:44 - Mar 9 with 2177 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Wembley Dilemma on 09:41 - Mar 9 by CaptainAhab

This is a good point, would the OP be able to get a ticket even if he did fly home? What would our allocation be, maybe 30k? They'd go to season ticket holders, then people who've been to x amount of games already this season. Doubt they'd even make it on general sale.
I remember the queue round the block for the 2000 final, you didn't stand a chance of getting a ticket if you hadn't attended all our league games.

Didn’t we sell 37k in 2000 with a 22k home capacity and probably 14000 season ticket holders? Lots of people who didn’t attend “all our league” games must have got a ticket!
Wembley Dilemma on 09:57 - Mar 9 with 2143 viewsCaptainAhab

Wembley Dilemma on 09:44 - Mar 9 by PrideOfTheEast

Didn’t we sell 37k in 2000 with a 22k home capacity and probably 14000 season ticket holders? Lots of people who didn’t attend “all our league” games must have got a ticket!

Maybe not all! You needed to show 5-10 tickets or something like that. Plenty of people could do that before general sale!
Wembley Dilemma on 10:00 - Mar 9 with 2141 viewsSharkey

"What would our allocation be, maybe 30k?"

Last year: "Sunderland received an initial allocation of 37,480 tickets for the final which was subsequently increased to 43,960 due to high demand. Wycombe Wanderers were initially given 19,205 tickets and applied for an extra allocation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_EFL_League_One_play-off_final

Seems to be based partly on normal attendance figures. So maybe Town would get more against Wycombe than against Derby, say.
Wembley Dilemma on 10:09 - Mar 9 with 2088 viewsbournemouthblue

Wembley Dilemma on 10:00 - Mar 9 by Sharkey

"What would our allocation be, maybe 30k?"

Last year: "Sunderland received an initial allocation of 37,480 tickets for the final which was subsequently increased to 43,960 due to high demand. Wycombe Wanderers were initially given 19,205 tickets and applied for an extra allocation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_EFL_League_One_play-off_final

Seems to be based partly on normal attendance figures. So maybe Town would get more against Wycombe than against Derby, say.

I'd have thought, looking at everyone in the mix, the current occupants are all likely to take a maximum allocation, it's only Wycombe and maybe Peterborough who wouldn't?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Wembley Dilemma on 12:56 - Mar 9 with 1829 viewsellaandred

Wembley Dilemma on 09:44 - Mar 9 by PrideOfTheEast

I got four tickets on the day from the touts.
Wembley Dilemma on 12:59 - Mar 9 with 1819 viewsOsborneOneNil

You're no clearer now, are you!

I adore the Town...but if I were you I'd stay in the States.
Wembley Dilemma on 13:09 - Mar 9 with 1783 viewsVaughan8

I'm on Holiday when the final is (yes bad planning!) so if we get there I'm going to sadly miss it. However, I'll just have to find a bar which has it on.

Some people are "Town is their life" and will say "come back at all costs", others aren't. Only you know what person you are and Ultimately it's up to you and how much you value seeing Ipswich at Wembley I suppose.

Personally, as I've got older, its become less of an obsession and I will be very disappointed not to go to Wembley, it will just be one of those things

I'm not much help......
Wembley Dilemma on 14:12 - Mar 9 with 1641 viewsRyorry

Some of us got tickets as Silver Card holders, but it always felt a bit touch & go as to whether we'd be successful - very much fingers on the trigger when booking opened. I think you needed about 6 stubs or other proof of having actually bought tix for league games too.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Wembley Dilemma on 15:18 - Mar 9 with 1516 viewsjudespiveyg

My family has two season tickets, one is in my name because it was easier to just renew under my name than change it for the same seat once I went to uni, so getting a ticket to the game wouldn't be a problem. My brothers/dad/cousin have noticeably only started regularly attending under Cook/Mckenna, so my Grandad and I get first dibs on the season tickets cause we were the ones who sat through the rubbish years.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Wembley Dilemma on 15:29 - Mar 9 with 1482 viewsBiGDonnie

Get yourself home and ready for the play off final. Merica will still be around after to go back, probably.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Wembley Dilemma on 15:54 - Mar 9 with 1420 viewslazyblue

Don’t think about coming back as it will jinx it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024