Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 11:48 - Apr 3 with 1884 viewsHeathlander

79 Points would have got us promoted that year. We are already on 78. We won the league with 84 points. Mad how many are going to be needed this year.
Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 12:49 - Apr 3 with 1773 viewsandytown

Might be misremembering but I think the season was 42 games back then.
Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 12:54 - Apr 3 with 1745 viewsTalkingBlues

Wasn’t it 2 points for a win back then?

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 13:00 - Apr 3 with 1724 viewshoppy

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 12:54 - Apr 3 by TalkingBlues

Wasn’t it 2 points for a win back then?

No. It's been 3 points for a win since 1981 in England.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 13:06 - Apr 3 with 1695 viewshoppy

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 12:49 - Apr 3 by andytown

Might be misremembering but I think the season was 42 games back then.

46 games...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991—92_Football_League

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 15:09 - Apr 3 with 1531 viewsandytown

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 13:06 - Apr 3 by hoppy

46 games...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991—92_Football_League

I stand corrected!
Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 15:20 - Apr 3 with 1508 viewsTalkingBlues

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 13:00 - Apr 3 by hoppy

No. It's been 3 points for a win since 1981 in England.

Thanks, honestly couldn’t remember when the 3 points came in

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 15:20 - Apr 3 with 1511 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I think it shows a greater disparity between teams at the top and at the bottom than in the past. It was similar last season with Plymouth missing out on the play-offs with a sizeable total.

This season, to match the bottom club from that table's 45 points, FGR would need 19 points from 7 matches (6 wins and a draw) which frankly isn't going to happen. 3rd bottom would need 14 points from 7 matches (top of the league form which would see someone else drop in there on lower points).

Compare it with this season's Championship where there is much less between sides apart from Burnley who are about to confirm promotion with a decent chunk of the season left. That table from 3rd downwards is far more similar to the one from 91/92.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 15:26 - Apr 3 with 1495 viewsSharkey

Similarly, when the two Essex teams got automatic promotion from this league in 2006, they got 82 and 79 points respectively, - and Colchester in second were still a comfortable three points ahead of Brentford in third.

Barnsley were also promoted, with 72 points, which is three less than they've got at the moment.

https://www.skysports.com/league-1-table/2005
[Post edited 3 Apr 2023 15:30]
Login to get fewer ads

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 15:40 - Apr 3 with 1429 viewssuffolkpoker

That was my first ever season watching town.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 15:48 - Apr 3 with 1387 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 15:40 - Apr 3 by suffolkpoker

That was my first ever season watching town.

It was my second season going to away games. I remember being in Leicester when our promotion was confirmed.

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 15:56 - Apr 3 with 1362 viewsKropotkin123

Ignoring the cancelled Covid year, Colchester got promoted on 79 points, which is the lowest 2nd place (3 point per game) tally in the 3rd tier.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 16:18 - Apr 3 with 1316 viewsGeoffSentence

Lost 10 games and still went up as champions.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 16:29 - Apr 3 with 1297 viewsSharkey

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 15:56 - Apr 3 by Kropotkin123

Ignoring the cancelled Covid year, Colchester got promoted on 79 points, which is the lowest 2nd place (3 point per game) tally in the 3rd tier.

And as I said, were still a breezy three points ahead of third. It was certainly a strangely dour league. (With much the same team, Colchester found scoring much easier in the next season, where they got something like 30 more goals in the Championship than they'd managed when getting out of League 1.)
Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 17:22 - Apr 3 with 1236 viewsgainsboroughblue

Much more level playing field. There were no real stand out sides at all in that division that season and the clubs you would have expected to shine struggled (Derby, Newcastle, Sunderland, Wolves). Blackburn were the media darlings and stinking rich (of the time) with Kenny at the helm, but they nosedived after Xmas and were arguably fortunate to get up through the PO's.

Cambridge got top 6 but went down the next year. Southend hung about in the top half. It was all a bit much of a muchness. I think we timed promotion well as 92-93 would have been much more of a struggle assuming we had the same squad as Newcastle and West Ham basically p!ssed it.

No complaints though. We had several splutters along the way, think we failed to win in 8 and lost in successive home games and in the run in, we could it sewn it up long before Oxford but seemed to freeze and goals dried up.

This years League One is just very top heavy, or is it bottom heavy. 4 really good sides, 5 goodish sides, 8 or 9 mediocre at best sides and the rest is just dreadful.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 06:12 - Apr 4 with 933 viewsKropotkin123

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 16:29 - Apr 3 by Sharkey

And as I said, were still a breezy three points ahead of third. It was certainly a strangely dour league. (With much the same team, Colchester found scoring much easier in the next season, where they got something like 30 more goals in the Championship than they'd managed when getting out of League 1.)

Haha, I should have read first. Just assumed no one would mention it!

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 06:53 - Apr 4 with 897 viewsArchiRob

That was a great team, felt we could score from every corner - Thompson had a great delivery.
Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 07:15 - Apr 4 with 858 viewsITFC_Forever

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 15:48 - Apr 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

It was my second season going to away games. I remember being in Leicester when our promotion was confirmed.

That’s a shame. The rest of us were in Oxford.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 08:10 - Apr 4 with 780 viewsChurchman

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 07:15 - Apr 4 by ITFC_Forever

I wasn’t. I had to work that morning which meant no chance of getting to the game. I’d endured the dour Grimsby 0-0, the ugly loss at Bristol City, the scrambled late win against Wolves, Whitton’s winner from the evil smelling cow shed at Watford, you name it. I didn’t miss too many, but Sod’s Law meant Oxford was listened to while washing the car. Missed Southend away too. Grrr.

Oh well, what a good season it was. It was obvious to me after the performance at Liverpool that we were going to come out on top at seasons end as the team was going from strength to strength, despite the odd stumble. Just had that feeling. Even when we went behind against Newcastle, I knew we’d win. One of those seasons.
Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 08:30 - Apr 4 with 754 viewsParisBlue

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 08:10 - Apr 4 by Churchman

I wasn’t. I had to work that morning which meant no chance of getting to the game. I’d endured the dour Grimsby 0-0, the ugly loss at Bristol City, the scrambled late win against Wolves, Whitton’s winner from the evil smelling cow shed at Watford, you name it. I didn’t miss too many, but Sod’s Law meant Oxford was listened to while washing the car. Missed Southend away too. Grrr.

Oh well, what a good season it was. It was obvious to me after the performance at Liverpool that we were going to come out on top at seasons end as the team was going from strength to strength, despite the odd stumble. Just had that feeling. Even when we went behind against Newcastle, I knew we’d win. One of those seasons.

I'm still drying out from Sunderland away.

I saw 4 games thar season. All losses.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 08:55 - Apr 4 with 718 viewsChurchman

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 08:30 - Apr 4 by ParisBlue

I'm still drying out from Sunderland away.

I saw 4 games thar season. All losses.

I missed that drubbing (phew) and the draw at Newcastle. The only other real beating we took was Swindon at home when Hoddle took us to the cleaners. We dished a few out though. 5-2 Portsmouth was a good one.

We also crushed Tranmere in front of 11,000. That wasn’t the worst attendance either. Football was recovering from the ‘lows’ of Hillsborough and the 80s and as has been discussed in other threads. The 13k and 15k watching Derby and Barnsley in March were decent gates.

My favourite game that season was Newcastle at home. Keegan was already making a noise there and despite them going ahead, I never thought we’d lose. Great game and atmosphere. Interesting that the crowd was 20k. For the game at St James Park, it was 16k. No geordie will ever believe that!
Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 12:26 - Apr 4 with 618 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Whan we won the old 2nd division under John Lyall in 91/92 on 07:15 - Apr 4 by ITFC_Forever

Yes, I wasn't at the match!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024