Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The John Lyall promotion season 11:04 - Apr 12 with 2749 viewsBluePG

Wasn’t it about this time of the season that we started looking like choking it, despite being clearly the best side in the league? I recall a Grimsby home game that ended 0-0 that, had we won, would’ve clinched it on a Tuesday evening.

Or is my ailing memory totally gone?!

Poll: Best Dane?

The John Lyall promotion season on 11:08 - Apr 12 with 2690 viewsSomethingBlue

Think we went ... 10 points? ... clear at the top with the win over Newcastle and then dropped off after that. Defeats at Boro and I think Bristol City, then the Grimsby draw. But we'd pretty much done enough, it would have had to be the most epic collapse to mess that up.

(Edit — sorry — as per Steve ... Sunderland not Boro! And it was probably 10 points clear of third)
[Post edited 12 Apr 2023 11:11]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

The John Lyall promotion season on 11:08 - Apr 12 with 2690 viewscatch74

If it’s the one I remember - they needed a point to stay up, it was miserable -driving rain and one of the least enjoyable games of football I’ve been to.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

The John Lyall promotion season on 11:09 - Apr 12 with 2675 viewsSteve_M

Last five games were defeats to Sunderland and Bristol City and that draw with Grimsby before the trip to Oxford.

From memory, I think we had a good buffer before those two away defeats so there was far less angst (no social media then either obviously) but the Grimsby match was a sickener. I remember some old boy saying "You would think we had just been relegated" from the silence people filed out of the back of Churchmans.

I think that was more because we could have gone up that night had we won, it was still very much in our hands and we only needed the draw at Oxford to go up. I think it was Leicester who might have beaten us to the title but their match finished later so we only knew we were Champions when we got back to the car.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The John Lyall promotion season on 11:13 - Apr 12 with 2633 viewsEastTownBlue

While we enjoyed our promotion at Oxford, I have often wondered what Portman Road would have been like if Dozzell's late header went in instead of hitting the post against Grimsby.
The John Lyall promotion season on 11:17 - Apr 12 with 2619 viewsChurchman

No. Grimsby was an evening game which toiled to 0-0. It followed a thumping at Sunderland that I didn’t see and a defeat at Bristol City that I did witness.

But by then, promotion was a matter of time and not in doubt. Prior to these games we’d been on an excellent run culminating in a smashing game against Newcastle.

The Saturday after the Grimsby match, we confirmed promotion at Oxford with all the celebrations the week after at home against Brighton. Great times.

We won the division by four points, promoted by six with a better goal difference. Two defeats and two draws in the last five games tells you how far ahead we were by mid April.
The John Lyall promotion season on 11:30 - Apr 12 with 2581 viewsgainsboroughblue

Looking back, wouldn't have swapped that day at Oxford for anything. That Sunderland game was midweek, miserable weather and no more than 400 Town fans travelled and the scenes would have been nowhere near as good.

The Grimsby game as mentioned, was horrific. I recall being in the Queens Head afterwards and there were dozens of Town fans just sitting at the bar, staring at their pint glasses like they'd been stood up on a date.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The John Lyall promotion season on 11:56 - Apr 12 with 2501 viewsArchiRob

Grimms came for a draw ot was in the old days when you could pass back to the keeper
Somehow they won a corner and two passes later it was in the hands of their goalie
Worst time wasting I have ever seen
Hated them ever since
The John Lyall promotion season on 12:03 - Apr 12 with 2467 viewsIllinoisblue

A young Andy Cole did for us away at Bristol City. I had to miss Grimsby at home because of work so was secretly glad we didn’t win that one. And it all went right at Oxford. Fantastic season.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

The John Lyall promotion season on 13:54 - Apr 12 with 2171 viewsStu_Magoo

My first ever ITFC match was Brighton at home after the Oxford game.

Ahh, to be young again.
The John Lyall promotion season on 15:02 - Apr 12 with 2014 viewsHKitfc

The John Lyall promotion season on 12:03 - Apr 12 by Illinoisblue

A young Andy Cole did for us away at Bristol City. I had to miss Grimsby at home because of work so was secretly glad we didn’t win that one. And it all went right at Oxford. Fantastic season.

Oh I remember that game. One of the best individual performances I've seen. Andy Cole was immense and he was only on loan at the time. I never understood why we didn't swoop in and sign him as I'm sure he would have come to us rather than Bristol City.
The John Lyall promotion season on 15:21 - Apr 12 with 1938 viewsRadlett_blue

Yes, Town had gone on a superb run since Boxing Day, winning 14 out of 18 games, although initially some of the wins were rather fragile. With promotion looking near assured, we wobbled, losing at Sunderland & Bristol city before failing to clinch promotion at home to Grimsby. We then drew at Oxford (again, not a great performance) & the title was ours with a free hit at home to Brighton.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The John Lyall promotion season on 17:03 - Apr 12 with 1764 viewsWestSussexBlue

The John Lyall promotion season on 11:08 - Apr 12 by SomethingBlue

Think we went ... 10 points? ... clear at the top with the win over Newcastle and then dropped off after that. Defeats at Boro and I think Bristol City, then the Grimsby draw. But we'd pretty much done enough, it would have had to be the most epic collapse to mess that up.

(Edit — sorry — as per Steve ... Sunderland not Boro! And it was probably 10 points clear of third)
[Post edited 12 Apr 2023 11:11]

Was that a 3-1 defeat at Ashton Gate? I was at the Bristol City away fixture as I lived down the M4 at Swindon.
The John Lyall promotion season on 17:05 - Apr 12 with 1757 viewsfarkenhell

The John Lyall promotion season on 11:13 - Apr 12 by EastTownBlue

While we enjoyed our promotion at Oxford, I have often wondered what Portman Road would have been like if Dozzell's late header went in instead of hitting the post against Grimsby.

Inside of the post as well. Although until your post, I could have sworn it was Zondervan with a shot!
The John Lyall promotion season on 17:07 - Apr 12 with 1752 viewsParisBlue

The John Lyall promotion season on 11:30 - Apr 12 by gainsboroughblue

Looking back, wouldn't have swapped that day at Oxford for anything. That Sunderland game was midweek, miserable weather and no more than 400 Town fans travelled and the scenes would have been nowhere near as good.

The Grimsby game as mentioned, was horrific. I recall being in the Queens Head afterwards and there were dozens of Town fans just sitting at the bar, staring at their pint glasses like they'd been stood up on a date.

I was at uni in Sunderland at the time so one of the few chances to see them that season. Sunderland were awful that season, but somehow managed to get to the cup final, and that evening was a 'come to the match and you will get priority for the final' so pretty much a full house. Started raining mid afternoon and carried on all game on an open terrace. We were poor, and in current times it would have been abandoned as the ball wasn't rolling at all. But no way that was going to happen that night.

Thoroughly miserable evening that one...

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

The John Lyall promotion season on 17:26 - Apr 12 with 1724 viewsFarmerpiles

I remember 2 things about that awful Tuesday night game v Grimsby, Jason hitting the post and half way thru the first half as I stood in the Churchmans some lads trying to get a chant going "Come on Ipswich, come on Ipswich.." only for some skinhead complete with green bomber jacket stood with his mates turning to them and shouting "Shut up boooy!" . And people moan about a lack of atmosphere now.
The John Lyall promotion season on 17:56 - Apr 12 with 1673 viewsnoggin

The John Lyall promotion season on 17:03 - Apr 12 by WestSussexBlue

Was that a 3-1 defeat at Ashton Gate? I was at the Bristol City away fixture as I lived down the M4 at Swindon.

I was living in Gloucester and took the train to Bristol. Found a pub near the ground that was full of Brizzle fans, but being alone, with no colours, I was fine.
Suddenly, the doors opened and a well known Ipswich lad ran in, jumped on the pool table, broke a cue over his thigh and kindly asked the locals to 'Come on!"
I left my beer and walked out before I got rumbled. TWTD.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

The John Lyall promotion season on 18:12 - Apr 12 with 1635 viewsBluespeed225

The John Lyall promotion season on 17:56 - Apr 12 by noggin

I was living in Gloucester and took the train to Bristol. Found a pub near the ground that was full of Brizzle fans, but being alone, with no colours, I was fine.
Suddenly, the doors opened and a well known Ipswich lad ran in, jumped on the pool table, broke a cue over his thigh and kindly asked the locals to 'Come on!"

Bristol we’re well up for it, and while I was not in the pub you mention, and while we had plenty of fans there for a promotion party, Bristol City have always been an active bunch, so I don’t reckon he faired too well! Afterwards was pretty hairy.
The Sunderland game was played in weather like outside right now, remember Forrest sliding on his backside to try and reach one of the goals. Grimsby we’re here to do a job, they did. As said, without social media, it all happened without panic!
The John Lyall promotion season on 19:50 - Apr 12 with 1503 viewsWestSussexBlue

The John Lyall promotion season on 17:56 - Apr 12 by noggin

😆😆😆. Love it.
The John Lyall promotion season on 15:54 - Apr 13 with 1142 viewsITFC_History

The John Lyall promotion season on 11:13 - Apr 12 by EastTownBlue

Bit late to the discussion but here is some brief highlights from that Grimsby game from 31 years ago, with the header from Dozzell included. Also a interview with Mr Wark thrown in for good measure.

Ps Link should take you straight to the game, but if not game can be found 6 minutes 48 seconds into the video

[Post edited 13 Apr 2023 15:59]
The John Lyall promotion season on 16:04 - Apr 13 with 1103 viewsSteve_M

The John Lyall promotion season on 15:54 - Apr 13 by ITFC_History

Bit late to the discussion but here is some brief highlights from that Grimsby game from 31 years ago, with the header from Dozzell included. Also a interview with Mr Wark thrown in for good measure.

Ps Link should take you straight to the game, but if not game can be found 6 minutes 48 seconds into the video

[Post edited 13 Apr 2023 15:59]

That clip has the added bonus of confirming my recollection that it was Leicester dropping points that saw us as Champions after the Oxford game.

Also worth watching for a Newcastle meltdown a few minutes on from our bit.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The John Lyall promotion season on 19:23 - Apr 13 with 960 viewsParisBlue

The John Lyall promotion season on 16:04 - Apr 13 by Steve_M

That clip has the added bonus of confirming my recollection that it was Leicester dropping points that saw us as Champions after the Oxford game.

Also worth watching for a Newcastle meltdown a few minutes on from our bit.

Leicester did what in future we'll refer to as a "Plymouth" in losing their last 2 games. Middlesbrough finished 2nd.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

The John Lyall promotion season on 20:14 - Apr 13 with 892 viewsjontysnut

Is John Lyall a bit under the radar for younger fans. Does he need a bit more credit?
The John Lyall promotion season on 20:18 - Apr 13 with 885 viewsTheBoyBlue

It was the first time following Town that I'd ever ever seen them involved in a genuine promotion push and I was giddy with excitement, much as I am at the moment. I was then disappointed as we began dropping points and thinking it was all going to be a massive anti-climax. And then the sheer relief and disbelief when we actually did it at Oxford.

Joyful times!

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024