Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Centre-backs yesterday 08:58 - Apr 26 with 2867 viewsSomethingBlue

Both absolutely supreme against really awkward and in-form centre-forwards. The only real hint of an error from Burgess ultimately brought our second goal; he looks a huge advance on the player we bought from Accrington though, such an improvement in him. Woolfy just purrs through games but has developed a little bit of a sh7thouse streak that I like very much. With those two at the back, and Morsy/Luongo in front, it looks like we can lock down pretty much any game at this level. It's a lovely feeling.

That's about as coherent as I can bother being today, woke up at 5am with excitement, this is absolutely pathetic and I love it ... long 72 hours ahead ...

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:03 - Apr 26 with 2022 viewsSteve_M

The improvement in both Burgess and Ladapo across this season has been a very enjoyable subplot to the season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:05 - Apr 26 with 2001 viewsSomethingBlue

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:03 - Apr 26 by Steve_M

The improvement in both Burgess and Ladapo across this season has been a very enjoyable subplot to the season.

Absolutely. And you can bet your life that the work McKenna is doing to make individuals better is not going unnoticed more widely. *If* we do go up I think some very interesting names will be keen to come here, his reputation is red hot in the game atm.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 9:05]

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:12 - Apr 26 with 1924 viewsclive_baker

Burgess would be a shoe in for a Most Improved POTS wouldn't he. Think he alluded in a recent interview to how much he's benefitted from the coaching and development he's receiving here, starting to look every bit value for £750k. Always been a mountain in the air but he seems a lot more confident on the ball now, doesn't always look for Woolfy with a square pass, happy to hit them long and a relatively high success rate with those. Positionally he's improved, the covering challenge yesterday (on Cole maybe) was delicious.

There's been a few times this season where he's been a bit flat footed in 1-on-1 situations, Wycmobe away I think it was being a good example, but we've generally been so dominant in games that there's been less opportunity for that to be exposed. I think that's an area for development, especially ahead of Championship football if you're being constructively critical. If you could combine Burgess and JD you would have a hell of a defender.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:13 - Apr 26 with 1913 viewsIpswichKnight

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:05 - Apr 26 by SomethingBlue

Absolutely. And you can bet your life that the work McKenna is doing to make individuals better is not going unnoticed more widely. *If* we do go up I think some very interesting names will be keen to come here, his reputation is red hot in the game atm.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 9:05]

IF we go up a lot of PL teams are going to want to let us have some of their very best and brightest young talent. On top of that you can bet we will be looking to compete with all of the championship for players.
Centre-backs yesterday on 09:17 - Apr 26 with 1872 viewsBiGDonnie

What areas would you be looking to strengthen in the summer?

I'd be looking at us to sign Hirst permanently, someone to compete with Chaplin and Bhead (Celina?) and a monster of a centre midfielder.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:18 - Apr 26 with 1872 viewsitfcjoe

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:12 - Apr 26 by clive_baker

Burgess would be a shoe in for a Most Improved POTS wouldn't he. Think he alluded in a recent interview to how much he's benefitted from the coaching and development he's receiving here, starting to look every bit value for £750k. Always been a mountain in the air but he seems a lot more confident on the ball now, doesn't always look for Woolfy with a square pass, happy to hit them long and a relatively high success rate with those. Positionally he's improved, the covering challenge yesterday (on Cole maybe) was delicious.

There's been a few times this season where he's been a bit flat footed in 1-on-1 situations, Wycmobe away I think it was being a good example, but we've generally been so dominant in games that there's been less opportunity for that to be exposed. I think that's an area for development, especially ahead of Championship football if you're being constructively critical. If you could combine Burgess and JD you would have a hell of a defender.

I think it isn't always obvious how tough a role our CBs are expected to play here - and that they are both excelling in all facets off their game is real testament to them and the coaching staff.

High lines, heavy possession, full backs bombing on leaving them lots of ground to cover in wider areas, taking the ball in awkward situations etc etc

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:20 - Apr 26 with 1831 viewsStokieBlue

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:17 - Apr 26 by BiGDonnie

I'd be looking at us to sign Hirst permanently, someone to compete with Chaplin and Bhead (Celina?) and a monster of a centre midfielder.

I believe I read that Hirst purchase clause at Blackburn was 5m.

It's a wedge but I think it's something we would be willing to spend if we get promoted.

He was immense last night, must be an absolute nightmare to play against.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:21 - Apr 26 with 1834 viewsSomethingBlue

I think having Luongo ahead of him on that left side has really helped him too, we protect him a lot better now. Definitely a risk his weaknesses are exposed in the Champ and I do think that's probably a position we'd look to upgrade on in slightly ruthless Clarke/Donacien fashion but the guy deserves so much credit, he is flourishing.

Login to get fewer ads

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:21 - Apr 26 with 1825 viewsmarkchips

Only three sleeps to go. We should all enjoy this, god knows we have waited so long. 30 long years In my case.

There is a belief about this team which is simple wearing down teams and steamrollering all over them. It is great to witness and the coaching team deserve all the plaudits they get..

The spine of this team is just right, although I do feel for Ladapo as he has done little wrong and ends up on the subs bench.

Big credit to him for how he is handling himself and I hope he gets the winning goal on Saturday as he deserves it for his unselfishness.
Centre-backs yesterday on 09:22 - Apr 26 with 1819 viewsRobTheMonk

I don't think it's any coincidence that Burgess' exceptional performances (and Wolfie) have aligned with Keogh being in and around the squad.
Centre-backs yesterday on 09:22 - Apr 26 with 1815 viewsSomethingBlue

If we went up — centre-back, centre mid, maybe another striker, and definitely some real competition for Burns. The rest depends on which squad players stick around.

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:23 - Apr 26 with 1782 viewsBiGDonnie

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:20 - Apr 26 by StokieBlue

I believe I read that Hirst purchase clause at Blackburn was 5m.

It's a wedge but I think it's something we would be willing to spend if we get promoted.

He was immense last night, must be an absolute nightmare to play against.

SB

Agreed, his goal was awesome.

£5m is a lot but I think we'd do it. He's been that good.

Hirst, Celina, Cashin & Taylor. That'll do.

COYBs

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:24 - Apr 26 with 1769 viewsStokieBlue

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:23 - Apr 26 by BiGDonnie

Is Taylor good enough? Hasn't shown much against us this season and surely we can aim for better?

Nabbing players from PL reserves seems like a winner - Davis and Broadhead are incredible for the prices we paid from PL reserve teams.

SB

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:27 - Apr 26 with 1736 viewsclive_baker

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:18 - Apr 26 by itfcjoe

I think it isn't always obvious how tough a role our CBs are expected to play here - and that they are both excelling in all facets off their game is real testament to them and the coaching staff.

High lines, heavy possession, full backs bombing on leaving them lots of ground to cover in wider areas, taking the ball in awkward situations etc etc

I think at this level there's been more onus on those in-possession attributes, I can't really think of a game all season that we haven't dominated. The closest is perhaps Plymouth away, although it came at a time when we were (still are really) very much a work in progress.

The Championship will of course bring different challenges, not least out of possession and in 1-on-1 situations against largely far better quality, and while I think we'll adapt pretty well there on the whole there will certainly be times we have far less of our own way than 90 minutes against the likes of Port Vale, who showed absolutely no attacking ambition.

Be interesting to see to what extent we think players like Burgess can step up, or whether he makes way and becomes more of a defensive weapon off the bench to deal with late aerial bombardments.

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:30 - Apr 26 with 1712 viewsBiGDonnie

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:24 - Apr 26 by StokieBlue

Is Taylor good enough? Hasn't shown much against us this season and surely we can aim for better?

Nabbing players from PL reserves seems like a winner - Davis and Broadhead are incredible for the prices we paid from PL reserve teams.

SB

I'm really not sure. I think he's got that energy that McKenna likes and is a bit younger than Luongo and Morsy. That said, we've definitely got a long ol list and apparently we're going to be really ambitious, will be exciting to see who we're going after.

COYBs

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:30 - Apr 26 with 1710 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Sign Luongo first.

Sign Hirst second.

If either won't sign, or we can't get the deal done with Leicester, then sign the best we can in their positions.

If we go up, possibly look at loaning El Mizouni and Humphreys as a pair to a passing-football manager who will play them both, so that they develop together.

Beyond that, I love this team, the bonds and spirit they have with each other and the relationship that they have with the fans, and I don't want to think about replacing any if them. There may be better players out there, but they're not *our* players.

The whole team now embodies the same spirit that players like Stephen Hunt and Tommy Smith (when picked) had in the play off season under Mick- a real feeling of passion that amplifies in a feedback loop with the fans.

Including the subs, and those who aren't even named in the match day squad, which is remarkable.
Centre-backs yesterday on 09:34 - Apr 26 with 1684 viewstractorboy1978

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:24 - Apr 26 by StokieBlue

SB

McKenna was offering £2m for him in January so he obviously thinks he is good enough. He's wanted him pretty much since he walked in the door by all accounts.
Centre-backs yesterday on 09:44 - Apr 26 with 1608 viewsDubtractor

I'm one of the many who felt Burgess wasn't the right kind of player for us, but I'm delighted to have been proved very wrong.

He has developed hugely this season hasn't he?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:48 - Apr 26 with 1562 viewsStokieBlue

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:34 - Apr 26 by tractorboy1978

McKenna was offering £2m for him in January so he obviously thinks he is good enough. He's wanted him pretty much since he walked in the door by all accounts.

He was offering 2m to play in league one.

He might easily think we can do better if we are in the Championship.

SB

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:54 - Apr 26 with 1496 viewsclive_baker

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:48 - Apr 26 by StokieBlue

SB

I don't really see the hype with Taylor, never have done. I think in January we were desperately short in the middle and he would've been a prudent investment (at the right price) to help get us over the line in the short term, while having age and Championship experience on his side.

I agree the goalposts have moved a bit since then, owing largely to Luongo coming in and doing such a good job for us.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if we think that money is better spent elsewhere now, and as you say we're probably shopping in a different market, with a bigger talent pool available if we're a Championship club. Having said that, if Peterborough stay down we might now be in a position to get him at a knock down price.

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:58 - Apr 26 with 1458 viewsSomethingBlue

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:54 - Apr 26 by clive_baker

I don't really see the hype with Taylor, never have done. I think in January we were desperately short in the middle and he would've been a prudent investment (at the right price) to help get us over the line in the short term, while having age and Championship experience on his side.

I agree the goalposts have moved a bit since then, owing largely to Luongo coming in and doing such a good job for us.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if we think that money is better spent elsewhere now, and as you say we're probably shopping in a different market, with a bigger talent pool available if we're a Championship club. Having said that, if Peterborough stay down we might now be in a position to get him at a knock down price.

I think we'll set our sights higher than Taylor if we go up — perhaps significantly higher. Unless we can't offer Luongo the kind of thing that works for all parties, in which case there would probably be two CM vacancies in the squad and he could make sense.

Centre-backs yesterday on 10:00 - Apr 26 with 1440 viewsportmanking

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:58 - Apr 26 by SomethingBlue

I think we'll set our sights higher than Taylor if we go up — perhaps significantly higher. Unless we can't offer Luongo the kind of thing that works for all parties, in which case there would probably be two CM vacancies in the squad and he could make sense.

Town are still very keen on Taylor. They also know that if Posh don't go up he'll be available for a six-figure sum rather than the £1.7m offered in Jan.

As for Luongo, part of me wonders whether he'll go back to Oz now? My gut feel is that we may part ways and leave it as a wonderful 6-month relationship. Invest in a killer starting midfielder alongside Morsy and sign Taylor to provide depth alongside Ball, Humphreys and Camara.
Centre-backs yesterday on 10:01 - Apr 26 with 1434 viewsBlueOura

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:23 - Apr 26 by BiGDonnie

I'd only want Hirst from that list to be honest. Celina maybe, but he hasnt done much at Stoke and I think we can do better. Not sure about Cashin the Championship either after seeing Burns ruthlessly expose his lack of pace a few weeks ago.
Centre-backs yesterday on 10:02 - Apr 26 with 1412 viewsStokieBlue

Centre-backs yesterday on 10:00 - Apr 26 by portmanking

Town are still very keen on Taylor. They also know that if Posh don't go up he'll be available for a six-figure sum rather than the £1.7m offered in Jan.

As for Luongo, part of me wonders whether he'll go back to Oz now? My gut feel is that we may part ways and leave it as a wonderful 6-month relationship. Invest in a killer starting midfielder alongside Morsy and sign Taylor to provide depth alongside Ball, Humphreys and Camara.

You think we will spend nearly 2m on someone as backup?

We will see I guess.

SB

Centre-backs yesterday on 10:03 - Apr 26 with 1406 viewstractorboy1978

Centre-backs yesterday on 09:48 - Apr 26 by StokieBlue

SB

He clearly wasn't though was he? We aren't signing a player for £2m that we don't think is good enough for the Championship and capable of being an asset we can sell on for more in the future.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024