Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bobby Madden quits 07:17 - May 4 with 2563 viewsmrfixit426

So Bobby Madden has had enough of club feedback saying he's a shocking referee. One quote from him stood out for me.

"Referees are essentially pandering to clubs. I've seen clear acts of simulation, clear acts of dissent, foul and abusive language overlooked because there's a reluctance to challenge that.

"I've seen very, very good referees in England in my year there, you can see that they're struggling how to manage games because they don't know who to appease more. Your marks at the end of the season determine will you progress, will you be retained or will you be demoted."

Surely you just referee the game as you see it, not to appease anyone. I think this explains some of the absolute lemons we've seen over the past few seasons.

Edit: Would help if I posted the link!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65458307
[Post edited 4 May 2023 8:02]
Bobby Madden quits on 07:25 - May 4 with 2433 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Good job too, shame he ever came to England as we would most likely be 3 points better off. Poor decisions in the heat of the moment are understandable. That decision to continue the game at Oxford, brought about after consulting with the managers and then making up a rule, was unforgivable.

Poll: would you rather

Bobby Madden quits on 08:54 - May 4 with 2054 viewsPinewoodblue

Nothing to do with his own errors of judgement then.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Bobby Madden quits on 09:32 - May 4 with 1866 viewsJon_456

I feel like this is one of the biggest problems with refereeing in this country. They seem to think it’s their job to ‘manage’ a game, such as issuing an early yellow card or having a chat with them to calm them down.

The job of the referee should be to react to whatever happens in front of them, not to try and prevent a player from doing something.

It’s the same with time wasting from GKs which we’ve seen far too often in recent years. They shouldn’t be booking them to try and stop them time wasting for the rest of the game, they should be booked because they have deliberately wasted time and if they do it again, then book them again.
Bobby Madden quits on 09:47 - May 4 with 1783 viewsyorkshireblue

Bobby Madden quits on 09:32 - May 4 by Jon_456

I feel like this is one of the biggest problems with refereeing in this country. They seem to think it’s their job to ‘manage’ a game, such as issuing an early yellow card or having a chat with them to calm them down.

The job of the referee should be to react to whatever happens in front of them, not to try and prevent a player from doing something.

It’s the same with time wasting from GKs which we’ve seen far too often in recent years. They shouldn’t be booking them to try and stop them time wasting for the rest of the game, they should be booked because they have deliberately wasted time and if they do it again, then book them again.

Indeed,

Being on a yellow didn't stop Port Vale's goal keeper further time wasting did it? He knew he was very unlikely to get a second yellow for it.
Bobby Madden quits on 10:16 - May 4 with 1610 viewsmonty_radio

Not sure about that - if you watched such as Colina, he was very proactive in trying to calm agitated players before worse happened. I think that managing the game is not the fault, but rather, managing it badly. So often at P.R. that "management" turns out to be about a ref reminding players (and spectators) that he's there, rather than a display of quiet, but assured authority.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Bobby Madden quits on 10:18 - May 4 with 1597 viewsGuthrum

I don't agree. For me, it is part of a referee's job to communicate with players in order to clearly establish where the boundaries are and when someone is getting too close to them. Not handing out cards, but talking to them.

It's far worse if a ref is purely reactive, as the players will naturally push and push towards what is often an invisible and semi-subjective disciplinary line, inevitably cross it and get a card with no warning. That's not particularly fair, given the pressure upon footballers to gain every little advantage. As a result, the card-count would go through the roof.

The ref managing the game is vital, they are enforcing the framework within which it is played, holding it back from descending into a free-for-all.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Bobby Madden quits on 10:18 - May 4 with 1593 viewsGarv

They seem to think it’s their job to ‘manage’ a game

That's exactly their job.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Bobby Madden quits on 10:20 - May 4 with 1587 viewsSaleAway

Bobby Madden quits on 10:16 - May 4 by monty_radio

Not sure about that - if you watched such as Colina, he was very proactive in trying to calm agitated players before worse happened. I think that managing the game is not the fault, but rather, managing it badly. So often at P.R. that "management" turns out to be about a ref reminding players (and spectators) that he's there, rather than a display of quiet, but assured authority.

Agree, the good ref's manage the game. That involves communicating with the players, just as much as issuing cards, which is a very blunt tool. The problem comes more often with those that don't manage the game, or set the bar in a weird place at the beginning of the match, which leaves them with no where to go later.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Login to get fewer ads

Bobby Madden quits on 10:24 - May 4 with 1565 viewsGarv

I mean he's not far wrong is he?

As he refers to, you've got players cheating all over the place and abusing refs weekly, managers goading and squaring up to 4th officials when a goal goes in, Arteta auditioning for Strictly on the side-line when a throw in doesn't go his way...

And yet referees are the root of all football evil.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Bobby Madden quits on 10:26 - May 4 with 1549 viewsmrfixit426

Bobby Madden quits on 10:18 - May 4 by Garv

They seem to think it’s their job to ‘manage’ a game

That's exactly their job.

Managing a game to appease clubs in the hope of getting good feedback is fundamentally wrong though, which is what Madden is suggesting. That's a no win situation for referees and clubs.

However that doesn't excuse moments like the Oxford game, where it was just absolute incompetence on his part.
Bobby Madden quits on 10:45 - May 4 with 1398 viewsjayessess

He's probably got a point that it's daft to ask the two teams to give the referee a rating and have that contribute to career development.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Bobby Madden quits on 10:47 - May 4 with 1364 viewsHerbivore

Bobby Madden quits on 10:45 - May 4 by jayessess

He's probably got a point that it's daft to ask the two teams to give the referee a rating and have that contribute to career development.

Yeah, agreed. There should be a mechanism for feedback or to raise concerns but I'm not sure the rating system benefits anyone. Rating the ref should be for the assessor.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bobby Madden quits on 11:12 - May 4 with 1264 viewsGeoffSentence

Bobby Madden quits on 10:45 - May 4 by jayessess

Yep, I learnt something new from that

"In England, you have an assessor, who gives 20% towards your overall mark. Another 40% is a panel who look at each key match decision. The other 40% is split between the two clubs."

I hadn't realised the clubs had a say. Better if it was just independents to be honest, there's too much emotion and subjectivity in the game for the clubs to stick their oar in.

Wonder why they decided on that system in the first place.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024