Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barry Knight appreciation week 16:07 - May 13 with 3340 viewswkj

With Bolton playing at home first and then away to the team we beat in the Championship playoffs - It is no better time to show appreciation to one of the weirdest, yet fortuitous, referee displays I think many of us have ever witnessed at PR.

(For all the whipper snappers who weren't there)
[Post edited 13 May 2023 16:09]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Barry Knight appreciation week on 16:10 - May 13 with 3317 viewsBlueBadger

He reffed that game terribly. Bolton should have had considerably more cards than they got.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Barry Knight appreciation week on 16:19 - May 13 with 3262 viewsbournemouthblue

Barry Knight appreciation week on 16:10 - May 13 by BlueBadger

He reffed that game terribly. Bolton should have had considerably more cards than they got.

Agreed on that, they were a total bunch of thugs and got what they deserved in the end

Allardyce has completely rewritten the history of that game through his moaning.

I know a Bolton fan who feels they lost that tie in the first leg

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Barry Knight appreciation week on 16:27 - May 13 with 3250 viewsChurchman

Barry Knight appreciation week on 16:10 - May 13 by BlueBadger

He let them off lightly. Lucky to finish with nine players and the two that went should have gone earlier
Barry Knight appreciation week on 16:31 - May 13 with 3231 viewsSwansea_Blue

Great idea, the bloke’s a legend

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Barry Knight appreciation week on 16:43 - May 13 with 3206 viewsRadlett_blue

I met a friend of a friend last summer when going to the cricket. We were chatting casually & he mentioned he was a Bolton fan. I said "I have just 2 words to say to you - Barry Knight".
Fortunately , he took it in the right spirit.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Barry Knight appreciation week on 16:53 - May 13 with 3164 viewsSwansea_Blue

Barry Knight appreciation week on 16:43 - May 13 by Radlett_blue

I met a friend of a friend last summer when going to the cricket. We were chatting casually & he mentioned he was a Bolton fan. I said "I have just 2 words to say to you - Barry Knight".
Fortunately , he took it in the right spirit.

Black eyes heal fairly quickly I suppose

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Barry Knight appreciation week on 08:52 - May 14 with 2919 viewsPinewoodblue

Wonder what Kieron Dyer thinks of Barry Knight, wasn’t he the referee who sent Dyer & Bowyer off for fighting?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Barry Knight appreciation week on 08:53 - May 14 with 2913 viewsRadlett_blue

Barry Knight appreciation week on 08:52 - May 14 by Pinewoodblue

Wonder what Kieron Dyer thinks of Barry Knight, wasn’t he the referee who sent Dyer & Bowyer off for fighting?

I doubt that was a particularly controversial decision.

Login to get fewer ads

Barry Knight appreciation week on 09:45 - May 14 with 2869 viewswkj

Barry Knight appreciation week on 08:53 - May 14 by Radlett_blue

I doubt that was a particularly controversial decision.

That was such an odd turn of events.

Crybaby

Barry Knight appreciation week on 10:17 - May 14 with 2837 viewsTrumptonBlue

I wouldn’t describe Knight’s performance as weird or fortuitous. None of the decisions in our favour were particularly outrageous - you could argue one penalty was a bit iffy and Whitlow’s sending-off harsh, but then you might wonder what the free kick for Bolton’s first was for and why Knight didn’t book any of the eight players who chased him to the corner flag.

Bolton’s moaning has always been a hilarious distraction from their own failings. They were able to score quite easily in the 90 mins when they put their mind to it. If they’d stuck to football, they’d have beaten us.
Barry Knight appreciation week on 10:48 - May 14 with 2789 viewsStu_boy

Please confirm which part was fortuitous? Each penalty was a nailed on pen, if you disagree which one do you feel wasnt? Again bolton we're filthy throughout and were lucky to end with only 9 men. They lost their heads completely. I also remember a really poor referee display by mr knight against Birmingham at home earlier in the same season, he was better than d'urso though so give him some credit there
Barry Knight appreciation week on 11:04 - May 14 with 2774 viewswkj

Barry Knight appreciation week on 10:48 - May 14 by Stu_boy

Please confirm which part was fortuitous? Each penalty was a nailed on pen, if you disagree which one do you feel wasnt? Again bolton we're filthy throughout and were lucky to end with only 9 men. They lost their heads completely. I also remember a really poor referee display by mr knight against Birmingham at home earlier in the same season, he was better than d'urso though so give him some credit there

I simply meant it was a rarity we got so many calls. What was odd was how quickly Bolton started to lose control of their discipline.

Crybaby

Barry Knight appreciation week on 11:19 - May 14 with 2755 viewsStu_boy

Barry Knight appreciation week on 11:04 - May 14 by wkj

I simply meant it was a rarity we got so many calls. What was odd was how quickly Bolton started to lose control of their discipline.

Fair enough, to be honest i cant remember over the last 20 odd years nany other teams losing complete discipline in the same way. From that perspective it was a rare occasion. Equally wer're lucky to get one pen in a game these days let alone 3
Barry Knight appreciation week on 11:25 - May 14 with 2748 viewswkj

Barry Knight appreciation week on 11:19 - May 14 by Stu_boy

Fair enough, to be honest i cant remember over the last 20 odd years nany other teams losing complete discipline in the same way. From that perspective it was a rare occasion. Equally wer're lucky to get one pen in a game these days let alone 3

I don't think I can remember a team losing their heads in about 20 minute. Bolton (and Man City) were probably close to a heated rivalry with town as we were all high functioning clubs fighting over limited space (Man City, Bolton and Ipswich were all Premier League quality teams at the time in my opinion), but Witlow seem to just lose his mind out of the gate!

Knight did lose control of the game though, even if his calls were correct - the way he was letting Bolton players chase him around when he blew up as well as not responding to Bolton pushing Jim around on the penalty spot was not a good look for Barry.
[Post edited 14 May 2023 11:27]

Crybaby

Barry Knight appreciation week on 13:40 - May 14 with 2648 viewsWhos_blue

Jeez!
You can tell that was a local programme!
The foul on Stewart not a penalty?!?
No reference to the timing of Jim's equaliser. They make it look like just another goal.
Remains the best game I've ever attended.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Barry Knight appreciation week on 13:43 - May 14 with 2643 viewsWhos_blue

Barry Knight appreciation week on 13:40 - May 14 by Whos_blue

Jeez!
You can tell that was a local programme!
The foul on Stewart not a penalty?!?
No reference to the timing of Jim's equaliser. They make it look like just another goal.
Remains the best game I've ever attended.

Though the Whitlow red was harsh. I thought he'd been booked previously, but it seems it was a straight red.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Barry Knight appreciation week on 14:10 - May 14 with 2624 viewswkj

Barry Knight appreciation week on 13:43 - May 14 by Whos_blue

Though the Whitlow red was harsh. I thought he'd been booked previously, but it seems it was a straight red.

Aiye, Second yellow without much doubt, but a straight red was probably not deserved - I can imagine Barry Knight had enough at that point.

Crybaby

Barry Knight appreciation week on 14:16 - May 14 with 2606 viewsKropotkin123

No appreciation. He was doing his job. Appreciation sounds like buying into the nonsense Bolton put out.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Barry Knight appreciation week on 15:43 - May 14 with 2537 viewsEiffel78

Barry Knight appreciation week on 13:43 - May 14 by Whos_blue

I remember being surprised by the Anglia TV highlights referring to it as a straight red. My recollection at the time was seeing the ref show a yellow then a red, and the EADT report the next day had it as a second yellow.
Barry Knight appreciation week on 01:21 - May 15 with 2356 viewsBluespeed225

Whitlow lost the plot. He'd come out with Fat Boys' instructions ringing in his ears and forgot football. That penalty on Johnson is the one that always got me. Just gets slung to the ground when the ball is safely with the keeper! Another instance of their brainwashing. The taking of Reusers' legs is another! No danger, lets wipe him out under the refs nose and get sent off!
Barry Knight appreciation week on 09:51 - May 15 with 2256 viewsRadlett_blue

Barry Knight appreciation week on 10:48 - May 14 by Stu_boy

Jim probably dived for the first penalty. I thought the second one was dubious - Ritchie seemed to get man & ball. Only the 3rd penalty for pulling Johnson to the ground was nailed on.

Barry Knight appreciation week on 09:59 - May 15 with 2237 viewsGeoffSentence

Barry Knight appreciation week on 09:51 - May 15 by Radlett_blue

Jim probably dived for the first penalty. I thought the second one was dubious - Ritchie seemed to get man & ball. Only the 3rd penalty for pulling Johnson to the ground was nailed on.

DIved! Are you mad? Warhurst(?) stuck his leg out right across Jim as he was running through. That was a clear penalty.

The second one was fifty-fifty but no surprise when it was given, missed it anyway.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Barry Knight appreciation week on 11:02 - May 15 with 2175 viewswkj

Barry Knight appreciation week on 14:16 - May 14 by Kropotkin123

No appreciation. He was doing his job. Appreciation sounds like buying into the nonsense Bolton put out.

It was supposed to be slapstick in its meaning. Like others, I remember Barry Knight being a really undesirable referee to have head up a game on, Birmingham for example.

Crybaby

Barry Knight appreciation week on 11:08 - May 15 with 2169 viewswkj

Barry Knight appreciation week on 01:21 - May 15 by Bluespeed225

Whitlow lost the plot. He'd come out with Fat Boys' instructions ringing in his ears and forgot football. That penalty on Johnson is the one that always got me. Just gets slung to the ground when the ball is safely with the keeper! Another instance of their brainwashing. The taking of Reusers' legs is another! No danger, lets wipe him out under the refs nose and get sent off!

I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing when Johnno got manhandled like that. There is absolutely no way a player could have stayed on their feet!

Eidur Gudjohnsen being a last minute injury probably lead to Fat Sam giving them an "all means necessary" speech as Gudjohnsen won Bolton games by himself many times that season.
[Post edited 15 May 2023 11:09]

Crybaby

Barry Knight appreciation week on 11:49 - May 15 with 2106 viewshoppy

Barry Knight appreciation week on 16:31 - May 13 by Swansea_Blue

Great idea, the bloke’s a legend

Don't be silly... it's Knight that had to deal with all that aggro, not White...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024