Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. 17:45 - Jul 8 with 6031 viewsunstableblue

Looks to be pretty close to full growth now, over a month for the natural grass to really root in

Will be fascinating to see if the synthetic system, super drainage, new natural pitch elements and under soil heating… mean that when we get to Feb whether we’ll have zero cutting up, mud and bald areas. A la big premiership club pitches.

From memory they’ve widened the side channel in front of the Pioneer… so I assume subs will run up and down that dedicated strip. That Astro will have to be of a playing type to allow studs and running without issue. But assume it’s not going to be a 5G rubber pellet type… as they’d leak into the pitch.

Haven’t played 5 aside for a while, but last time was on the latest 5G and taking your trainers off was like emptying a volcanic beach onto the hall floor!!
[Post edited 8 Jul 2023 17:50]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:11 - Jul 8 with 5142 viewsDJR

Is the grey stuff actually tarmac, or is the sort of rubbery stuff they have in children's play areas? If the former, it would seem to be a bit dangerous for the players to fall on to, as they sometimes do.
Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:13 - Jul 8 with 5121 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:11 - Jul 8 by DJR

Is the grey stuff actually tarmac, or is the sort of rubbery stuff they have in children's play areas? If the former, it would seem to be a bit dangerous for the players to fall on to, as they sometimes do.

It will have a turf layer on top of it, possobly in a rather fetching blue colour.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:14 - Jul 8 with 5119 viewsunstableblue

Yeah could be… a good shout… would add to the ‘give’ to support players running up and down

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:15 - Jul 8 with 5115 viewsunstableblue

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:13 - Jul 8 by SlippinJimmyJuan

It will have a turf layer on top of it, possobly in a rather fetching blue colour.

Badge between the technical areas? Facing the directors box?

Would be a nice touch

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:23 - Jul 8 with 5041 viewsnodge_blue

Zero chance that its tarmac.

Does seem a bit odd that someone taking a corner will be on it though.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:24 - Jul 8 with 5030 viewsgtsb1966

It's thing like this, the infrastructure of the club, that makes you realise these owners are serious about this club going places. Yes they are here to make money and will probably sell eventually when they have made us an established premier club but their strategy and vision is second to none. Probably the only thing Evans got right was to sell to Gamechanger.
Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:27 - Jul 8 with 4984 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:23 - Jul 8 by nodge_blue

Zero chance that its tarmac.

Does seem a bit odd that someone taking a corner will be on it though.

They wont, this is going on top of it (pic posted by muncher yesterday)

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:32 - Jul 8 with 4928 viewsunstableblue

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:27 - Jul 8 by burnbudgiesburn

Oooooh… there it is… Love it!!

Think this could look rather good against the lush Green of the modern pitch

Login to get fewer ads

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:40 - Jul 8 with 4882 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:24 - Jul 8 by gtsb1966

It's thing like this, the infrastructure of the club, that makes you realise these owners are serious about this club going places. Yes they are here to make money and will probably sell eventually when they have made us an established premier club but their strategy and vision is second to none. Probably the only thing Evans got right was to sell to Gamechanger.

I was thinking to myself 'am I being a nerd?' getting all excited about pitch, grass, and stadia renovations.

The answer is yes, probably and 95% of fans probably care less but this stuff to me is about the long term future of the club and more exciting than a short term signing of a player whoever they may be.
Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:48 - Jul 8 with 4815 viewsnodge_blue

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:27 - Jul 8 by burnbudgiesburn

Ah. That makes more sense.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 20:10 - Jul 8 with 4490 viewssixtoperalta35

Looks lovely!....but I'm worried that chap who takes the metal covers up for the tunnel to extend two minutes before half time is going to be out of a job??
Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 20:22 - Jul 8 with 4424 viewsOldsmoker

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:40 - Jul 8 by burnbudgiesburn

I was thinking to myself 'am I being a nerd?' getting all excited about pitch, grass, and stadia renovations.

The answer is yes, probably and 95% of fans probably care less but this stuff to me is about the long term future of the club and more exciting than a short term signing of a player whoever they may be.

I think we all have permission to wet ourselves.

I think the pitch and stadium will be one of the factors that will convince our transfer targets to join the club.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 20:25 - Jul 8 with 4406 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sweet

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Nerd? NERD?! Ipswich Town FC connoisseur more like! on 20:53 - Jul 8 with 4272 viewsunstableblue

Portman Road is our second home… our temple

And its state of condition and improvements to facilities are bound to be of interest and as you say is a yardstick to our health and progression as a club.

Portman Road was tatty and decaying under the Evans regime.. like the majority of the football!!

And of course as someone states - a modern and well kept Portman Road can attract investment, a mangers and players.

Now where are those executive boxes?!

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 21:03 - Jul 8 with 4218 viewsbackwaywhen

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 20:22 - Jul 8 by Oldsmoker

I think we all have permission to wet ourselves.

I think the pitch and stadium will be one of the factors that will convince our transfer targets to join the club.

No more fireman Sam putting his hoses away before players come out …… lol.
Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 21:28 - Jul 8 with 4094 viewsFreddies_Ears

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 18:24 - Jul 8 by gtsb1966

And yet, in the end, that looks like a good legacy! He left us without debt, and sold out to a decent owner. Having turned down many, many others.
Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 22:35 - Jul 8 with 3912 viewsCoastalblue

Has the pitch size been altered by the new layout do we know? I think ours traditionally was one of the bigger pitches in the league or did I dream that up?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 07:14 - Jul 9 with 3517 viewsChurchman

I’m definitely in the ‘nerd’ camp! When it comes to infrastructure stuff it actually interests me more than signing a player for a couple of seasons. It matters. It matters that the seats are clean, the toilets work that the ground looks cared for. It’s our identity.

If you don’t get the foundations in place, you can’t build anything including a decent team.

The hollowing out, the neglect of the football club is what depressed me most about Evans’ time. Even more than his empty promises and woeful decisions on managers (bar one) and players.
Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 08:21 - Jul 9 with 3349 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 22:35 - Jul 8 by Coastalblue

Has the pitch size been altered by the new layout do we know? I think ours traditionally was one of the bigger pitches in the league or did I dream that up?

I thought we were making it even larger, or at least wider. But seeing the OP saying the area around the edge looks wider, maybe that’s not right.

Edit - I was half right. It’s longer, not wider. https://www.twtd.co.uk/amp/news/43699/portman-road-plans-reveal-longer-pitch
[Post edited 9 Jul 2023 8:23]

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 09:20 - Jul 9 with 3062 viewsunstableblue

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 08:21 - Jul 9 by Swansea_Blue

I thought we were making it even larger, or at least wider. But seeing the OP saying the area around the edge looks wider, maybe that’s not right.

Edit - I was half right. It’s longer, not wider. https://www.twtd.co.uk/amp/news/43699/portman-road-plans-reveal-longer-pitch
[Post edited 9 Jul 2023 8:23]

I was wrong:

“The whole pitch moves slightly towards the Cobbold Stand, while the boundary Astroturf, which is being replaced, will be narrower than at present with more grass around the edge of the pitch.”

Thought it looked wider on front of the Pioneer. So assuming linesman and warming up subs will have more grass to run up and down on, and a surface that won’t cut up. The old pitch would cut badly in front of the pioneer at the North Stand end.

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 09:30 - Jul 9 with 3027 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 09:20 - Jul 9 by unstableblue

I was wrong:

“The whole pitch moves slightly towards the Cobbold Stand, while the boundary Astroturf, which is being replaced, will be narrower than at present with more grass around the edge of the pitch.”

Thought it looked wider on front of the Pioneer. So assuming linesman and warming up subs will have more grass to run up and down on, and a surface that won’t cut up. The old pitch would cut badly in front of the pioneer at the North Stand end.

Yeah, the astroturf touchlines make a big difference where clubs have already put them in. It’s great that we’re actually improving FPR at last. Evans didn’t really care or didn’t have the vision (I’m still amazed we put up with him for so long and he largely escaped the anger which got thrown the way of the managers).

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 09:46 - Jul 9 with 2971 viewswrightsrightglove

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 09:20 - Jul 9 by unstableblue

I was wrong:

Looks like they’ve filled in the old photographer pits as well which were a waste of space so I think the pitch and warm up area will be so much more spacious and useable
Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 10:55 - Jul 9 with 2789 viewsunstableblue

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 09:30 - Jul 9 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah, the astroturf touchlines make a big difference where clubs have already put them in. It’s great that we’re actually improving FPR at last. Evans didn’t really care or didn’t have the vision (I’m still amazed we put up with him for so long and he largely escaped the anger which got thrown the way of the managers).

I think Evans did come with funds initially and for example gave Keane a good transfer war chest.

But he certainly never had a strategy… or a workable one… and the plan seemed to ignore the Portman Road facility and community interface

The big thing with Evans was he was just really badly advised, and never had a football savvy CEO - his managerial appointments were awful… listening to Morsy recent interview just maybe Cook was better than we realised, he just tried a player refresh that was way too big… and maybe McKenna has gained some benefit… albeit he is a completely different level coach to Cook (also as per Morsy interview)

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 11:01 - Jul 9 with 2768 viewsRyorry

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 21:28 - Jul 8 by Freddies_Ears

And yet, in the end, that looks like a good legacy! He left us without debt, and sold out to a decent owner. Having turned down many, many others.

Fair point, and I thank him for that if nothing else.

Can't help wondering how much influence his daughter (who allegedly became a genuine fan) had on him.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Nice view of pitch and new tarmac here.. on 11:27 - Jul 9 with 2698 viewsSenatorBlue

Do you think the next phase (now pitch is done) might be to “connect” the rest of the stadium, ahead of the Cobbold rebuild? For example might the changing rooms be moved into temporary whilst Sir Alf is extended across and linked to Coop, and would the club consider the corners of both SAR and SBR stands the Cobbold. Might the roof for all three of Coop, SAR and SBR be reconfigured and joined up to keep noise in. Ashton often talks of everything with a final plan, and if you look at Ashton Gate, this is exactly what they’ve done. I just think there might be a few smaller enhancements each year ahead of Cobbold.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024