Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pre match pubs - more needed? 17:00 - Aug 14 with 2864 viewsstjohnsblue

Hi TWTD'ers

I'm doing a bit of research of our fanbase to see if we should look at opening our music venues for match days.

With our home attendances being towards the 'sell out' capacity for the forceable future... do we need more choice of boozers before and possibly after the game?

I'm asking as we have two venues that we could open up for pre/post game beers, most probably just on Saturdays but possibly for pre-evening game pints.

These are St Stephen's Church opposite Wagamama and The Baths on Civic Drive. (www.brightenthecorners.co.uk for more info)

Bar taps are all Adnams and we can look at getting snacks/food as well. Both are in great locations and possibly The Baths could be a great post game pint as it's pretty big (up to 300 standing) and has two bars.

Do you think there is a need? Sometimes enjoy going to The Brewers, Greyhound and Arbour house...I don't tend to venture out of those on match days.

Would you be happy to have it open to families?

Would you be happy with away fans too?

- any other ideas or suggestions are much welcome. DJ's, live music, meat raffle, life drawing....haha.

I'd like ideally for both venues to be as inclusive as possible and have a great friendly atmosphere with DJs or a curated playlist playing. I'd like for my 11 year old daughter to go before the games, have a pie and pint (of orange juice and lemonade) whilst I have a crisp Mosaic, in a nice relaxed venue full of good people having a good time.

Maybe the demand would be blokes only, home fans only, blaring out Sweet Caroline on repeat!? I don't know, hence the ask. haha.

Let me know your thoughts as it's something we're not used to doing and need to work out what the opening costs would be/if it's viable. I imagine licensing would want us to have a couple of security on at all times sadly.

Thanks all, any input/thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers.

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 17:32 - Aug 14 with 2736 viewsLRB84UK

We need somewhere for families 100%! I've always gone to the plough pre match (over 30 years now) last season they decided to make it over 18s only. I have a 12 year old who has also always gone to the plough, we are now pub-less on a game day 😕 would love somewhere new to call home!
Pre match pubs - more needed? on 17:41 - Aug 14 with 2701 viewsLord_Lucan

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 17:32 - Aug 14 by LRB84UK

We need somewhere for families 100%! I've always gone to the plough pre match (over 30 years now) last season they decided to make it over 18s only. I have a 12 year old who has also always gone to the plough, we are now pub-less on a game day 😕 would love somewhere new to call home!

Why don't you go over the road to Revolution?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 17:44 - Aug 14 with 2696 viewsgarygboltonblue

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 17:41 - Aug 14 by Lord_Lucan

Or down the road to the Arcade?
Pre match pubs - more needed? on 17:48 - Aug 14 with 2670 viewsLord_Lucan

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 17:44 - Aug 14 by garygboltonblue

They aren't keen on kids in there - unless they have changed.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 17:59 - Aug 14 with 2645 viewshype313

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 17:44 - Aug 14 by garygboltonblue

Arcade is painful on match day, an age to get served. Lovely place, but just not on match days for me

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 18:00 - Aug 14 with 2639 viewshype313

I think it's a great shout, not many other places are kid friendly, so I'd be keen to see something happen on this

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 18:05 - Aug 14 with 2622 viewsgarygboltonblue

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 17:48 - Aug 14 by Lord_Lucan

I go most match days , kids in there not in great numbers to be fair
Pre match pubs - more needed? on 18:06 - Aug 14 with 2617 viewsyesjohn99

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 17:32 - Aug 14 by LRB84UK

Silent Street club then on to the fanzone is mine and my 7 year olds ritual these days.
Login to get fewer ads

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 19:10 - Aug 14 with 2468 viewsDubtractor

Hello mate. My thoughts for what it's worth.....

Definitely think there is capacity for extra venue(s), the bigger issue would be getting word of mouth round that they are there should you open them. Though the mini beer festival in the Baths last year had a decent turn out didn't it?

My crowd are more drawn to pubs with a bit of space and not too lairy (we're a bunch of dullards!), so what you are proposing would appeal to us, definitely. My brother also got a season ticket with his daughter this year and has commented that, apart from the fanzone, his options are limited.

Of the two venues you've suggested I think that St Stephens would be the most appealing (in my eyes anyway), as it is a much nicer space, and in a really good location for passing trade, plus the bus stop. I think the bar in there is big enough too (it coped with a full venue at BTC).

DJs and Live Music are always a potentially divisive proposal - will you get something to appeal to everyone? eg I'd bet that what gets you pumping before a game would not be the same as for your daughter! And will you be able to have it loud enough to be worthwhile but still allow people to have a pre match chat etc? I'd be more inclined to go curated playlist, that way it doesn't need to be loud - and I say that as a DJ who might have angled at playing some tunes!

I think the meat raffle is due a resurgence though. Do that. Definitely.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I won a mixed grill.... on 19:14 - Aug 14 with 2454 viewsBloots

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 19:10 - Aug 14 by Dubtractor

Definitely think there is capacity for extra venue(s), the bigger issue would be getting word of mouth round that they are there should you open them. Though the mini beer festival in the Baths last year had a decent turn out didn't it?

My crowd are more drawn to pubs with a bit of space and not too lairy (we're a bunch of dullards!), so what you are proposing would appeal to us, definitely. My brother also got a season ticket with his daughter this year and has commented that, apart from the fanzone, his options are limited.

Of the two venues you've suggested I think that St Stephens would be the most appealing (in my eyes anyway), as it is a much nicer space, and in a really good location for passing trade, plus the bus stop. I think the bar in there is big enough too (it coped with a full venue at BTC).

DJs and Live Music are always a potentially divisive proposal - will you get something to appeal to everyone? eg I'd bet that what gets you pumping before a game would not be the same as for your daughter! And will you be able to have it loud enough to be worthwhile but still allow people to have a pre match chat etc? I'd be more inclined to go curated playlist, that way it doesn't need to be loud - and I say that as a DJ who might have angled at playing some tunes!

....for two and 12 sausages down my local on Sunday.

Plus I picked up a couple of rabbits for a fiver.

Meat.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 19:14 - Aug 14 with 2457 viewsPendejo

Both sound like interesting venues.

My kids are all adults now, so family friendly, not of importance, tho to get in and see The Baths I'd borrow my grand niece for the day!

In terms of being family friendly it'd be great to mix with away fans, but you'd probably need to get advanced bookings with strict T&C.

Will now have a look at your website, I'd seen posts on here about you, but not living in Ipswich they'd passed me by.

Go for it

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 20:05 - Aug 14 with 2377 viewsbluelagos

My main thought is that you are probably targeting the same punters as the fanzone. That said, the fanzone doesnt offer any post match offerings or cater for away fans so maybe there's an opportunity.

Suppose if you have the venue it could be one to try and see how it goes. If it proves popular great, if not then what have you lost?

Presume you have no sky? Do think the club could keep a bar open for the 5.30 match, sure a few would want to catch the game.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 20:39 - Aug 14 with 2284 viewsGlasgowBlue

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 19:10 - Aug 14 by Dubtractor

You'd have hated the Wheatsheaf in Sunderland last week Dubbers.

edit. That's the 2021 clip but his act hasn't changed at all.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 20:48]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 22:36 - Aug 14 with 2117 viewsLRB84UK

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 17:41 - Aug 14 by Lord_Lucan

Last time I tried that we couldn't get a seat or food due to the groups of women and their bottomless brunches
Pre match pubs - more needed? on 10:30 - Aug 15 with 1825 viewsLord_Lucan

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 20:39 - Aug 14 by GlasgowBlue

You'd have hated the Wheatsheaf in Sunderland last week Dubbers.

edit. That's the 2021 clip but his act hasn't changed at all.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 20:48]

That looks blooming horrific.

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 13:16 - Aug 15 with 1748 viewsstonojnr

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 17:48 - Aug 14 by Lord_Lucan

Kids are allowed in during the daytime till about 6pm, which is same at lots of pubs in town.
Pre match pubs - more needed? on 13:26 - Aug 15 with 1739 viewsstonojnr

Fwiw I don't think there's a capacity problem with pubs in Ipswich in football days, pubs nearer the ground are always going to be busier, but the Greyhound is the only one that's a bit manic, but they have loads of barstaff.to cope.

You've got Thomas Wolsey, Briarbank, Lord Nelson Spread Eagle, Dove Street Inn, Woolpack all easy walking distance to the ground, allow kids, dogs, do meals, whatever you need really and you are supporting local businesses by using them and keeping them going when times are leaner.

But if you want to open up another bar, there's little stopping you except licensing and the police will insist on door staff and likely a home fans only policy.
Pre match pubs - more needed? on 17:49 - Aug 22 with 1445 viewsSitfcB

Yates is closing down…

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/23740515.ipswich-pub-yates-close-september-2-

Not been in there on a matchday but imagine that it’s busy.

I reckon you should give the St Stephens Church a go, open that up for a few matchdays, see what happens, just need to get the word out there b

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 18:01 - Aug 22 with 1398 viewsFreddies_Ears

Late to this thread, but I feel the family angle is pretty well covered by the fanzone. A box park/ sports bar type experience might be worth a try, and it shouldn't be impossible to find an ex-player or two to pop in for an interview / chat.

But Suffolk types are very much creatures of habit so it may take a bit of time to take off!!
Pre match pubs - more needed? on 21:33 - Aug 22 with 1263 viewsstjohnsblue

Pre match pubs - more needed? on 18:01 - Aug 22 by Freddies_Ears

Late to this thread, but I feel the family angle is pretty well covered by the fanzone. A box park/ sports bar type experience might be worth a try, and it shouldn't be impossible to find an ex-player or two to pop in for an interview / chat.

But Suffolk types are very much creatures of habit so it may take a bit of time to take off!!

Thanks all for the comments.

Lots of food/drink for thought.

I don't think we'd be thinking of the family angle to rival the fanzone, just wanting to have kids in there if someone, like myself with an 11yr old, was passing by and I was gagging for a decent pint!

We have a stage in there so there is scope for some pre game player chats and similar opportunities. I think we'll give it a punt and see if we can get some PR into the Ipswich Star and post on here to see if people will come. We're ÂŁ5 a pint over 6 draught Adnams', but could do a match day price to entice people in. I think it's a great space for pre match drinks, just got to go for it for a few home games and see how it goes!

After one of the preseason games I had a great chat in the pub with the opposition fans and I'd like to see that happen too....as long as they're not a bunch of C-nuts. Difficult to police that! haha. Thanks again.
Pre match pubs - more needed? on 21:59 - Aug 22 with 1220 viewspennblue

I remember a nottingham pub doing really well before matches but i cannot remember the name, i think it was something like ‘oooters’?

The vine in west brom has a great model too serving up bbq chicken tandori in flatbreads. Could be good for fast food delivery

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024