Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No need for concern about lack of signings 10:13 - Aug 16 with 2480 viewswhymark4lazio0

We've already done great business- Hirst (the key signing), Taylor, Hutchinson & Slicker and as our first week showed we have a very competitive squad with an excellent team spirit.

I would much rather Ashton & McKenna keep their powder dry until the right players with the right character at the right price become available, even if that means waiting until January.

In my mind the key to our success is team spirit, world-class coaching and work ethic. Any rash signings that potentially undermine the collective would be a grave mistake. I still have nightmares about Matteo Sereni, Finidi George, Marcus Bent and Ulrich Le Pen.

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

No need for concern about lack of signings on 10:19 - Aug 16 with 2418 viewsyorkshireblue

Marcus Bent came in November when we were rock bottom and went on to be our top scorer that season. Not sure the blame can be put at his feet,
No need for concern about lack of signings on 10:22 - Aug 16 with 2395 viewsblueoxford

The key signing was McKenna signing a contract extension
No need for concern about lack of signings on 10:28 - Aug 16 with 2360 viewsBlueySwede

I agree that we should only bring in the right players.
But if our transfer business is done for the summer, I do feel that we are missing a great chance to really go for it this season.
If Ashton and McKenna had said that they are perfectly happy and not looking for any more players, fine, but they have both clearly stated that they are searching and even "being fairly close" on some deals.
Anyway. The transfer window isn´t shut yet and I hope we can do some smart business, hopefully soon.
By the way, I thought Marcus Bent did pretty well for us?
No need for concern about lack of signings on 10:30 - Aug 16 with 2340 viewsBlueySwede

No need for concern about lack of signings on 10:19 - Aug 16 by yorkshireblue

Marcus Bent came in November when we were rock bottom and went on to be our top scorer that season. Not sure the blame can be put at his feet,

Agreed.
Also a little harsh on Le Pen, suffered a bad injury.
Finidi was a strange one of course, great in the first few games but looked lost after that.
No need for concern about lack of signings on 10:33 - Aug 16 with 2314 viewsKeno

Pah!!

This is the inter web and I demand the right to flounce because we have missed out on Kane, Messi, Ronaldo and bloke with the girlie hair that Man City signed last year

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

No need for concern about lack of signings on 10:44 - Aug 16 with 2248 viewsWhos_blue

Agree with most of what you say.
Not sure about all the players you mention, but the sentiment is spot on.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

No need for concern about lack of signings on 10:52 - Aug 16 with 2204 viewstractorboy1978

No need for concern about lack of signings on 10:22 - Aug 16 by blueoxford

Without doom mongering though, in reality that means very little and I'd suspect is simply a pay rise and the insertion of a release clause if a suitable (Premier League) job comes up that he fancies.
No need for concern about lack of signings on 10:52 - Aug 16 with 2204 viewswhymark4lazio0

No need for concern about lack of signings on 10:22 - Aug 16 by blueoxford

Agree

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

Login to get fewer ads

No need for concern about lack of signings on 10:55 - Aug 16 with 2183 viewsBobbychase

Agreed. Lots of weird "we've missed out on targets" this window based on not very much info. We've got a competitive squad as it stands.

However, I'd be amazed if we didn't add a couple more this window.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

No need for concern about lack of signings on 14:00 - Aug 16 with 1951 viewsdurhamj

Wholly agree with this perspective.

All too often contributors are quick to be either doom and gloom or alternatively sensationalist. Very few people know who club targets are, or indeed were, let alone where they are as a priority in the overall plan. Neither should we expect to know.

Its great to be optimistic and with things looking up for a change. It beats the delights of the mid 80s for sure which is when I started on this rollercoaster. But take things with a bit of perspective.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 15:45]
No need for concern about lack of signings on 14:37 - Aug 16 with 1834 viewsNaylorsrightboot

No need for concern about lack of signings on 10:55 - Aug 16 by Bobbychase

Agreed. Lots of weird "we've missed out on targets" this window based on not very much info. We've got a competitive squad as it stands.

However, I'd be amazed if we didn't add a couple more this window.

Is it weird though? We clearly have missed out on targets. Ashton thought he had 2-3 in the bag nearly 4 weeks ago. No one had arrived, so yes, we have missed out on targets. Nothing weird about that, it’s happened!
No need for concern about lack of signings on 14:47 - Aug 16 with 1777 viewsTractorCam

Indeed, if you're consistently beating League One teams 3/4-0 every week, it means you already have a squad way above that level and is ready to slot around the top ends of the Championship, as has proven in these very early days. A couple more signings i'm sure, but even there's not the squad is perfectly capable of competing up this end.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

No need for concern about lack of signings on 15:15 - Aug 16 with 1677 viewsCityBlue

Luongo was also a signing as he was a free agent

I T I D

No need for concern about lack of signings on 15:31 - Aug 16 with 1632 viewsStewart27

There’s also evidence from Saturday that we have even stepped it up a notch from last season.
No need for concern about lack of signings on 15:35 - Aug 16 with 1630 viewsthe_toff

No need for concern about lack of signings on 14:47 - Aug 16 by TractorCam

Indeed, if you're consistently beating League One teams 3/4-0 every week, it means you already have a squad way above that level and is ready to slot around the top ends of the Championship, as has proven in these very early days. A couple more signings i'm sure, but even there's not the squad is perfectly capable of competing up this end.

Agreed. For the final 1/3 of last season especially we were a Championship side playing in L1. Once those January additions got up to speed and settled in there was no stopping us, not just the wins but the manner of them, the dominance, and often against some of the better teams at that level.

How good a Championship squad we were / are is anyone's guess. Personally I don't think we're in the same league as Leicester, Southampton, Leeds etc on paper, but we have a bit of what they don't which is momentum, stability and a winning habit. I think we're getting the absolute best out of what we have and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts which is testament to KM and his team. I think with no more additions we'll be a top 10 club, but can't help but feel 2 or 3 of real quality could catapult us up into the top 4 or 5.
No need for concern about lack of signings on 15:51 - Aug 16 with 1577 viewsBobbychase

No need for concern about lack of signings on 14:37 - Aug 16 by Naylorsrightboot

Is it weird though? We clearly have missed out on targets. Ashton thought he had 2-3 in the bag nearly 4 weeks ago. No one had arrived, so yes, we have missed out on targets. Nothing weird about that, it’s happened!

Hirst was a target. Took months to land him. Doesn't mean we missed out, just means it takes time.

How do we know we will not sign the exact players Ashton has been chasing this summer? We don't.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

No need for concern about lack of signings on 18:21 - Aug 16 with 1388 viewsBloomBlue

Finidi was a panic signing, but conversely he was aged 52 then so the fact he played OK for 2 games was a positive. In some ways he lasted longer than the other panic signing, and much younger, Sereni.
No need for concern about lack of signings on 18:40 - Aug 16 with 1332 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Fortunately the club don’t agree with this because they are still working to bring more in, McKenna has said the club are working to bring more players in, Ashton has said it. It’s because we need a few more bodies in the door.

We’ve made great signings but I would be very concerned if Burns, Hirst or woolfie get injured.

That’s the reason we’re are most likely targeting another centre half, a winger and a striker.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 18:43]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

No need for concern about lack of signings on 19:58 - Aug 16 with 1174 viewsVegtablue

I would like two more, with the right stuff, before the end of August please.
No need for concern about lack of signings on 20:10 - Aug 16 with 1134 viewsPioneerBlue

I’m not concerned. I expect us to ensure adequate squad depth then do bigger business over next 1-2 windows.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024