Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best ww2 films for a 10 year old 14:31 - Sep 10 with 5641 viewsgiant_stow

about to learn that bit of history?

I use to love them, but my minds gone blank - I can only think of Where Eagles Dare, Battle of Medway, Guns of Navarone....

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 14:35 - Sep 10 with 3127 viewsFtnfwest

Dunkirk, the original one, although the modern one is not bad. Battle of Britain and Bridge on the River Kwai, great escape etc
Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 14:39 - Sep 10 with 3100 viewsDouble_Dutch

Dambusters and A Bridge Too Far, neither overly graphic and, a degree or nod to historical accuracy.

Add Malta story and The Imitation Game to those two films.

When slightly older Saving Private Ryan and Hacksaw Ridge.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2023 14:45]
Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 14:44 - Sep 10 with 3079 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Wouldn't these be more informative than film?
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0071075/

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 14:50 - Sep 10 with 3045 views70skid

When I was 10/11 I used to go and see my grandad on a Sunday afternoon and would sit quietly watching films like The Cruel sea.

When he died I learned he was a submariner during WW2
Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 15:00 - Sep 10 with 3014 viewssteetonblue

The Longest Day, Battle of Midway and maybe Ice Cold in Alex
Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 15:00 - Sep 10 with 3017 viewsgiant_stow

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 14:50 - Sep 10 by 70skid

When I was 10/11 I used to go and see my grandad on a Sunday afternoon and would sit quietly watching films like The Cruel sea.

When he died I learned he was a submariner during WW2

wow, that must have been tricky for him to watch, but I guess it was important to show you a taste of it.

Thanks all - appreciate the leads..

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 15:05 - Sep 10 with 3002 viewsleitrimblue

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 14:44 - Sep 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

I'd definitely go for this suggestion Ull,s. Otherwise it's a bit like trying to learn about Vietnam by watching First Blood/Rambo
Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 15:09 - Sep 10 with 2983 viewsgiant_stow

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 14:44 - Sep 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

You're bang on, but might be a little graphic from memory (plus he's not a documentary kind of kid - I'm up against the xbox here!)

Login to get fewer ads

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 15:10 - Sep 10 with 2977 viewsgiant_stow

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 15:05 - Sep 10 by leitrimblue

I'd definitely go for this suggestion Ull,s. Otherwise it's a bit like trying to learn about Vietnam by watching First Blood/Rambo

Yeah, I know you're both right . Maybe I'll watch it as an additional thing and catch him for 20 mins / see how it goes.

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 15:20 - Sep 10 with 2962 viewsfactual_blue

Not too much history there really.

Not familiar with the Battle of Medway - I wasn't aware of a daring German raid on Chatham.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 15:33 - Sep 10 with 2928 viewschicoazul

Come And See, great movie for a ten year old about a very interesting period of ww2.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 15:40 - Sep 10 with 2914 viewsiamatractorboy

Das Boot
Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 15:45 - Sep 10 with 2890 viewsKeno

Escape to Victory obviously

It will also show him some proper footy

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 15:46 - Sep 10 with 2880 viewsfactual_blue

How about something with a local connection?

Twelvc O'clock High is about the USAAF daylight raids on Germany, and was written by the commander of 487 Heavy Bomber Group, Bernie Laye and drew on his experiences when based at RAF Lavenham.

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 16:05 - Sep 10 with 2840 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

In Which We Serve
Went the Day Well
Resistance
Hope and Glory

For a ten year old? Perhaps not, depends.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 16:07 - Sep 10 with 2834 viewsGuthrum

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 15:20 - Sep 10 by factual_blue

Not familiar with the Battle of Medway - I wasn't aware of a daring German raid on Chatham.

That was the Dutch.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 16:08 - Sep 10 with 2828 viewsGuthrum

Tora Tora Tora

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 16:16 - Sep 10 with 2798 viewsDaninthecampo

I grew up watching alot of the films already mentioned, I know ww2 was obviously a,long time ago now but the films are too, they're so dated especially for a 10 y/o
Try some more modern films, Midway is a good remake, Dunkirk is ok, Saving private Ryan is only rated a 13 and shows the intensity of war without too much graphic viewing
Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 16:26 - Sep 10 with 2781 viewsDouble_Dutch

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 15:20 - Sep 10 by factual_blue

My great uncle lost his life during this daring German raid February 1918, on the vessel LT685 Veracity.

Account of the action below:

Skipper John James Colby, Royal Naval Reserve, H.M. Drifter Clover Bank died on 15 February 1918 when his vessel was sunk in a raid by German destroyers on the Dover Patrol. He was a native of Great Yarmouth. The D.S.M. was awarded to the sole survivor of the Clover Bank, Seaman Gunner Frederick Plane, who went on firing his gun till the boat went down under him. He was picked up later.

On the night of 14th/15th February 1918, a dramatic raid took place by German destroyers against vessels of the Dover Patrol, causing serious losses which included the sinking of one armed trawler and seven drifters. The enemy’s object was to destroy the ‘light barrier’ as they called the British flare ships, whose effect was to make the Straits of Dover almost impassable. Two half flotillas of destroyers were employed on the raid. Between Folkestone and Griz Nez there existed a series of buoys which were used to assist the patrols to maintain their positions. About two and a half miles on either side of this line were stationed trawlers, paddlers and other small craft, to either burn flares or to use searchlights. There was also fifty-eight drifters patrolling this line.

At 12.40 a.m. one half flotilla of four destroyers started the attack from the NW by shelling the paddler Newbury, whose revolving searchlight made her an easy target. The destroyers then proceeded slowly down the drifter line and sank the drifters W. Elliot and LT685 Veracity. The paddler Lingfield and a motor launch also came under fire, but some drifters managed to make their escape. The enemy then disappeared.

Three destroyers made an attack from the SE at about 12.45 a.m. near the Griz Nez end of the line. The trawler James Pond was soon on fire. The crew endeavoured to extinguish the flames and beach her, but the vessel finally had to be abandoned. Proceeding along the line, the enemy shelled the drifter Clover Bank, which took fire, and afterwards sank. The destroyers then sank the drifters Cosmos and Jeannie Murray. Only four survivors escaped from these three craft. The next to be shelled were the drifters Golden Grain, Golden Rule, Violet May and Treasure, which were all damaged. At about 1.30 a.m. the Germans turned back when about halfway across the Channel and on the return journey met and sank the drifter Silver Queen, which had taken off the survivors of the Cosmos. Finally, after firing on two more drifters, these destroyers made off. This raid cost the Patrol heavy losses of men and ships. There were sunk one armed trawler, seven drifters, and one paddler and six drifters damaged. The subsequent awards included 5 D.S.C.s, 2 Bars to the D.S.C., 3 C.G.M.s and 13 D.S.M.s. See also Lot 1299 for the D.S.M. awarded to one of the crew of the drifter Vera Creina
Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 16:34 - Sep 10 with 2748 viewsKeno

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 16:07 - Sep 10 by Guthrum

That was the Dutch.

Harsh to blame Franz & Arnie for Rochester, not their fault it’s a dump

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 17:21 - Sep 10 with 2681 viewsblueasfook

Rather than a movie, I would suggest some good documentaries. WW2 in Colour series is very good.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 17:53 - Sep 10 with 2633 viewsElephantintheRoom

If you want something Brit related The Battle of Britain and a Bridge to far are quite entertaining.

The Battle of the Bulge is a rollicking good yarn…

Anything with John Wayne is was made for those with a limited attention span.

A couple of left field suggestions - on You Tube you’ll find a couple of Jeremy Clarkson efforts … The Greatest Raid and VC Heroes (a stirring account of his father in law’s heroics at Arnhem with a startling punchline. Not films but very watchable

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 18:13 - Sep 10 with 2595 viewsblueasfook

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 17:53 - Sep 10 by ElephantintheRoom

If you want something Brit related The Battle of Britain and a Bridge to far are quite entertaining.

A couple of left field suggestions - on You Tube you’ll find a couple of Jeremy Clarkson efforts … The Greatest Raid and VC Heroes (a stirring account of his father in law’s heroics at Arnhem with a startling punchline. Not films but very watchable

I've seen those Clarkson ones. Agree, they are quite good.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 18:17 - Sep 10 with 2582 viewsKeno

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 17:53 - Sep 10 by ElephantintheRoom

The Battle of the Bulge film is something of a travesty for instance it was filmed desert like mountains of Spain rather than the heavily forested snow covered Ardennes

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 18:59 - Sep 10 with 2540 viewsfactual_blue

Best ww2 films for a 10 year old on 18:17 - Sep 10 by Keno

The Battle of the Bulge film is something of a travesty for instance it was filmed desert like mountains of Spain rather than the heavily forested snow covered Ardennes

Although it does include a very insightful line about why a chocolate cake meant the Allies were going to win the war.

(The Germans capture an American position. They find a chocolate cake, sent from the USA for a GI's Christmas . The German officer observes they can't get proper chocolate in Germany, whereas the Allies have the resources to ship a chocolate cake from Boston to the Ardennes)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024