Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? 20:08 - Sep 12 with 1886 viewsredrickstuhaart

Don't flag offside until the move is finished?!!!
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:12 - Sep 12 with 1715 viewscbower

Absolute fooking nonsense. It cannot be explained and is just pointless. Everything that immediately follows the 'offside' is just a waste of time.

bluescouser

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:13 - Sep 12 with 1706 viewsredrickstuhaart

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:12 - Sep 12 by cbower

Absolute fooking nonsense. It cannot be explained and is just pointless. Everything that immediately follows the 'offside' is just a waste of time.

Its also the time when last ditch tackles are made, players get injured etc etc
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:14 - Sep 12 with 1705 viewstonybied

I take it it's so VAR can review and decide if it was offside or not if a goal is scored.
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:16 - Sep 12 with 1698 viewsredrickstuhaart

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:14 - Sep 12 by tonybied

I take it it's so VAR can review and decide if it was offside or not if a goal is scored.

I dont remember it ever being accepted that linesmen would wait for var to tell them the answer before flagging.... Absurd.
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:16 - Sep 12 with 1701 viewsMattinLondon

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:12 - Sep 12 by cbower

It can easily be explained. If it’s a tight call then the flag stays down so that a ‘goal’ can potentially be scored. If flag goes up then the goal will go to VAR.

If the flag goes up straight away and the attacking player was actually onside then a potentially scoring opportunity would have been denied.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 20:17]
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:23 - Sep 12 with 1661 viewscbower

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:16 - Sep 12 by MattinLondon

It can easily be explained. If it’s a tight call then the flag stays down so that a ‘goal’ can potentially be scored. If flag goes up then the goal will go to VAR.

If the flag goes up straight away and the attacking player was actually onside then a potentially scoring opportunity would have been denied.

Ok but on the two instances I have seen this evening, the offside was so clear. Maybe just sack the linesman totally and just have VAR! The game is going up its own ar$e I'm afraid.

bluescouser

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:30 - Sep 12 with 1625 viewsredrickstuhaart

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:23 - Sep 12 by cbower

Ok but on the two instances I have seen this evening, the offside was so clear. Maybe just sack the linesman totally and just have VAR! The game is going up its own ar$e I'm afraid.

Indeed. And then the flag went up after the ball was out of player,. abouty 10 seconds after the offence! No one in the crowd will even know what it was given for. Going to create all sorts of grief.
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:42 - Sep 12 with 1578 viewsolimar

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:23 - Sep 12 by cbower

There is a logic to it, but it means the linesman wont put his flag up at all for anything now. So large amount of play take place, which the ref wont add back on again, for play that is essentially dead. And everyone knows it.
Equally, what happens in one of those bits of play if a player puts in a desperate late tackle, causes a serious injury (either to himself or the opposition player) for something that wasnt actually live anyway.
Login to get fewer ads

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:43 - Sep 12 with 1561 viewsredrickstuhaart

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:42 - Sep 12 by olimar

There is a logic to it, but it means the linesman wont put his flag up at all for anything now. So large amount of play take place, which the ref wont add back on again, for play that is essentially dead. And everyone knows it.
Equally, what happens in one of those bits of play if a player puts in a desperate late tackle, causes a serious injury (either to himself or the opposition player) for something that wasnt actually live anyway.

And make a massive issue for themselves, ruling out a goal, where the crowd can see clearly that its not offside when the flag goes up and have no idea it was intended for something that happened 15 seconds earlier.
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:47 - Sep 12 with 1539 viewsLankHenners

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:43 - Sep 12 by redrickstuhaart

And make a massive issue for themselves, ruling out a goal, where the crowd can see clearly that its not offside when the flag goes up and have no idea it was intended for something that happened 15 seconds earlier.

Think the crowd can work out pretty easily it was for an offside earlier in the move - we've had this long enough now, it's not as if this was introduced yesterday.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:47 - Sep 12 with 1534 viewsNthQldITFC

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:16 - Sep 12 by MattinLondon

Ah! I've gone from thinking it was stupid just now to understanding why, thanks to your post. I don't watch Premiership League football (until next season), or much Internationalist football, so don't have much experience of VAR.

All things considered, I think I'd rather it hadn't been invented. For now.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:51 - Sep 12 with 1512 viewscbower

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:47 - Sep 12 by NthQldITFC

Ah! I've gone from thinking it was stupid just now to understanding why, thanks to your post. I don't watch Premiership League football (until next season), or much Internationalist football, so don't have much experience of VAR.

All things considered, I think I'd rather it hadn't been invented. For now.

Yep, it will be a downside of promotion to the Premier League unless it's refined to appeals like in Tennis.

bluescouser

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:54 - Sep 12 with 1502 viewsredrickstuhaart

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:47 - Sep 12 by LankHenners

Think the crowd can work out pretty easily it was for an offside earlier in the move - we've had this long enough now, it's not as if this was introduced yesterday.

Ive not seen it taken to these extremes.
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 21:03 - Sep 12 with 1472 viewsLankHenners

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:54 - Sep 12 by redrickstuhaart

Ive not seen it taken to these extremes.

It's not that extreme and is in line with how it's been officiated since its introduction.

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 21:05 - Sep 12 with 1450 viewsNthQldITFC

That Lyndon Dykes fella must be a bit warm in that polo-neck shirt.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 21:38 - Sep 12 with 1405 viewsSwansea_Blue

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:30 - Sep 12 by redrickstuhaart

Indeed. And then the flag went up after the ball was out of player,. abouty 10 seconds after the offence! No one in the crowd will even know what it was given for. Going to create all sorts of grief.

It’s been like it for ages. I don’t particularly like it either, but it is logical and has one major upside (gets rid of wrong offside calls that could deny a team a goal scoring opportunity, as described by others in the thread).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 07:55 - Sep 13 with 1220 viewsNutkins_Return

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:47 - Sep 12 by LankHenners

Yep. Again this is strange pining for better days when perfectly good onside goals were disallowed for a linesman flagging wrongly.

It's a good addition to the rules. I'd agree there was one last night that looked very clear and could have been given earlier but I'm sure the application of the rule will have a few re-jigs to callibrate it. Can't be long until linesman aren't required for offsides.
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 08:05 - Sep 13 with 1205 viewsPowrigan

Only a matter of time before a serious injury happens which could have been prevented by just putting the flag up and stopping the attack.
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 08:14 - Sep 13 with 1188 viewsredrickstuhaart

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 08:05 - Sep 13 by Powrigan

Only a matter of time before a serious injury happens which could have been prevented by just putting the flag up and stopping the attack.

May as well get rid of them if its all going to be done on var in any event.
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 08:39 - Sep 13 with 1169 viewsWickets

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:14 - Sep 12 by tonybied

I can understand that if it is tight but when the attacker is 3 yds off there is simply no point .
[Post edited 13 Sep 2023 9:01]
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 08:44 - Sep 13 with 1164 viewsRyorry

Not when every single person watching can see it was offside by a country bloody mile!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 09:04 - Sep 13 with 1122 viewsLankHenners

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 07:55 - Sep 13 by Nutkins_Return

Yep. Again this is strange pining for better days when perfectly good onside goals were disallowed for a linesman flagging wrongly.

It's a good addition to the rules. I'd agree there was one last night that looked very clear and could have been given earlier but I'm sure the application of the rule will have a few re-jigs to callibrate it. Can't be long until linesman aren't required for offsides.

Would actually scrap the whole thing as there are far more cons than pros (or the cons are worse than the pros are good).

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 09:09 - Sep 13 with 1106 viewsNutkins_Return

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 08:05 - Sep 13 by Powrigan

Someone can get injured playing football at any point. The lino might get offside wrong and not flag and someone get injured. I don't think we can set rule policy based around the possibility of stopping an injury that could happen or not based on the timing of someone's run! That's seems completely daft and an argument made to suit an agenda.

I do think linos can be a bit braver when it comes to more obvious offsides sometimes but if they are not 100% then the rule is better than what was before. The problem is when people havent seen it a lot they are just slightly confused. That's not an issue with the rule though. Once used to it it's better.

Linos will go in the next 10 years in pro football.
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 10:34 - Sep 13 with 1042 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 20:42 - Sep 12 by olimar

What happens if a player punches another player while they are walking off at Half Time?

The "wait until the ball is out of play" directive is the only logical way to accommodate VAR, because otherwise goalscoring opportunities will be stopped.

Whether there should be VAR is the bigger question.
Can anyone explain what bizarre instructions these linesmen are on? on 10:37 - Sep 13 with 1039 viewsRyorry

Can also see it leading to a general diminishing of respect for both the rules & the officials if the situation continues where absolutely blatant offsides aren't immediately given, like last night - invites ridicule from players and fans alike.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024