Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever 18:47 - Oct 8 with 6712 viewsHciwspi

I’m not sure if I’m going overboard with this, but I was born in 1971 and we won the fa cup just before I turned 7. I remember it well and of course I remember the later Robson years but didn’t attend games as neither my Mum or Dad were bothered about it. I started going regularly during the Duncan years when I was old enough to go with a mate.

Anyway, what I’m getting at is I’m convinced the current team are playing the best football I’ve ever seen from an Ipswich team. I’ve seen some suggest our current football is almost as good as the Burley years, but I’m saying the current side is playing better football. Not necessarily a better team, that’s different, but the football is even better to watch.

Some of it is sublime and it’s just so so nice to watch and is also very effective.
Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 18:55 - Oct 8 with 4641 viewsgordon

Agree - football just generally gets better though, particularly how comfortable all 11 players are on the ball - you just wouldn't get Mogga and Craig Forrest attempting to play like Woolfenden and Hladky.
Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 18:58 - Oct 8 with 4632 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’ve been thinking about that this weekend. I saw a fair bit of the later Robson years (also born in 71 and started attending games aged 5 or 6). Hard to compare. We were pretty good. Some of the individual quality was well above what we’ve got now. We played quite similarly though, moving the ball front to back quite quickly. Sometimes that was by phases of play up the pitch, sometimes by going longer and using Mariner as the foil.

It’s hard to know which is the ‘best’. We played similar on much worst pitches, so that’s a point to the old boys. Were we quite as quick and slick with our passing back then though? Possibly not.

We played some pretty good stuff under Burley too of course. Again, pretty quick front to back at times. We scored some lovely goals on the break under Burley, not too different to what we do now. Again, I think individuals were slightly better, but team wise a very similar level and possibly a better unit now.

Whatever people think about the comparisons, it’s pretty phenomenal what he’s done with us. Maybe a better comparison would be to Sir Alf’s achievements (but too early for me though!).
[Post edited 8 Oct 2023 19:03]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 05:51 - Oct 9 with 4216 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

It's so hard to compare different eras.

I was born in '73 so only vaguely remember the Robson years. Apart from the '00/'01 season, I do think the football we're watching now is better than under Burley.

If we can avoid injuries and suspensions to key players, I now believe we can finish in the top 2. I'm hoping Tuanzebe will tighten up our defence and no team is going to stop us scoring goals.

Maybe I'm going overboard too, but I think this team with a few additions can continue our journey in the PL. Sure, we could get walloped a few times but we would definitely win some games.
Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 06:34 - Oct 9 with 4157 viewsSchancheITFC

I’m similar age to you, couple of years younger, totally agree with what you’re saying. I did get to see a season at least of the Robson era and yes the current team are playing the best football I’ve seen of an Ipswich team granted the opposition are not from the top league. Total credit to Kieron and the coaching staff. Town won’t win every game but the grounded attitude throughout the club is fantastic to see and is exactly what’s required.
Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 06:59 - Oct 9 with 4078 viewscressi

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 06:34 - Oct 9 by SchancheITFC

I’m similar age to you, couple of years younger, totally agree with what you’re saying. I did get to see a season at least of the Robson era and yes the current team are playing the best football I’ve seen of an Ipswich team granted the opposition are not from the top league. Total credit to Kieron and the coaching staff. Town won’t win every game but the grounded attitude throughout the club is fantastic to see and is exactly what’s required.

Started going in 1970
So saw our golden era though missed games because I played local football.
Hard to compere as we was playing Liverpool Forest and Villa etc.
But definitely up there with the Burley days at the moment long way to go and sustain.
Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 07:35 - Oct 9 with 3981 viewsunstableblue

Born 72

Tail end of Robson years, but too young to really remember. Just what a good group of international players we had.

Like you Duncan was when I really got into going; a mixed bag, but with some decent players.

Burley I would have said was the best teams and style of play if seen. It was very attacking, dynamic, and exciting to watch. Plus it built over multiple seasons, culminating in the glorious Premiership season.

Magilton was a real joy with his wand of a foot… not sure we’ve a player who has replicated that.

Is this team playing more beautiful football than the best Burley team… I would have had said no; but that first half against a good Hull team was next level.

And it’s in the Championship.

So yes I agree best I’ve seen at PR.

It’s progressive, technical, modern, attacking… it’s a dream… and the dark days of Micks last season and that terrible football seems a long time ago

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 07:50 - Oct 9 with 3933 viewsDJR

I started going in 1969 and have to say that the later Robson team played the best football I have ever seen, with the ability to attack from all areas of the pitch and the added sophistication of the two Dutchman.

Of course, we weren't thrashing teams regularly but we were playing opposition of a much higher level.

I remember an absolutely glowing report about the team just after the end of the 80-81 season in, from recollection, the Times which said we were the best football playing team for many years.

The one thing the Robson team didn't have in its favour was the ability to bring on five players of pretty equal quality to those replaced. Indeed, our small squad was our Achilles heal, with the subs never of the same quality as the main 11.

But I love the way we are playing now, and we are certainly not far behind in terms of excitement and sophistication, and in McKenna we have a young manager very much in the Robson mold.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2023 7:52]
Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 08:07 - Oct 9 with 3872 viewsVic

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 07:50 - Oct 9 by DJR

I started going in 1969 and have to say that the later Robson team played the best football I have ever seen, with the ability to attack from all areas of the pitch and the added sophistication of the two Dutchman.

Of course, we weren't thrashing teams regularly but we were playing opposition of a much higher level.

I remember an absolutely glowing report about the team just after the end of the 80-81 season in, from recollection, the Times which said we were the best football playing team for many years.

The one thing the Robson team didn't have in its favour was the ability to bring on five players of pretty equal quality to those replaced. Indeed, our small squad was our Achilles heal, with the subs never of the same quality as the main 11.

But I love the way we are playing now, and we are certainly not far behind in terms of excitement and sophistication, and in McKenna we have a young manager very much in the Robson mold.

Bang on. Privileged to have watched the Robson team from 73 onwards. He had 3 teams - the best by far was the post 78 one, but the 76 - 71 wasn’t bad. Player for player both were way better than what we have now, but the way we’re playing is similar, although they didn’t play out from the back like we do now. I think the pitches are a big factor in this - they were atrocious in those days and I’m not sure anyone could play as we are!

Got to keep in mind that the Robson teams did it all at the top end of the top division, we are still only in the second division - big, big difference.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 08:36 - Oct 9 with 3798 viewsChurchman

As somebody who started watching us at a similar time, this post is spot on.

Edit: I’d add that while this is not the best team I’ve seen, it’s possibly the most exciting.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2023 7:28]
Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 08:37 - Oct 9 with 3797 viewsGeoffSentence

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 05:51 - Oct 9 by LA_Tractor_Boy

It's so hard to compare different eras.

I was born in '73 so only vaguely remember the Robson years. Apart from the '00/'01 season, I do think the football we're watching now is better than under Burley.

If we can avoid injuries and suspensions to key players, I now believe we can finish in the top 2. I'm hoping Tuanzebe will tighten up our defence and no team is going to stop us scoring goals.

Maybe I'm going overboard too, but I think this team with a few additions can continue our journey in the PL. Sure, we could get walloped a few times but we would definitely win some games.

It is hard to compare different eras. One often overlooked, but critical, factor in all of that is the impact of the back pass rule.

Without that rule change, we wouldn't have ball playing keepers like we do now. Even though goalkeepers would still have the option of playing it short, the high press would have little value, since keepers could just gather the ball up when under pressure.

Substitution rules are another big change. With 5 subs allowed now players can play at a much higher level of intensity too.

Even offside rule changes have made a difference, I look back and recall perfectly good goals being ruled off because someone who was having no impact on that phase of play was a nose offside.

I think it is fair to say that most modern rule changes that have hung around have improved the quality of football on offer, but as you say, makes it really hard to compare different eras.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 08:49 - Oct 9 with 3765 viewsWeWereZombies

First game I attended was at home to Preston North End.

On 22nd April, 1967, although strictly speaking it was a reserves match against Portsmouth a few weeks earlier (which finished 5-5, never seen another match with that scoerline.) I thought we were playing Charlton at home in the Second Division, when we were playing away...

Anyway, that Preston game finished 0-0 (although my schoolfriend and I thought Town had scored when in actual fact the ball had gone into the sidenetting, funny how much difficulty you have telling which side of the net is which at that age but in later life you seem to know instantly despite your failing senses.) It was the McGarry era and a similarity was that no one had expected Ipswich to rise again quite so well, but old Bill was an experienced manager (the Cobbolds knew what they were doing when it came to appointments) whereas McKenna is a rookie.

One consideration to bear in mind is that Robson was also a rookie but took a bit longer to settle than McKenna (and didn't have that extra promotion challenge) so there is still plenty of cause for optimism about the best being yet to come.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2023 9:04]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 08:53 - Oct 9 with 3754 viewsBiGDonnie

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 07:35 - Oct 9 by unstableblue

Born 72

Tail end of Robson years, but too young to really remember. Just what a good group of international players we had.

Like you Duncan was when I really got into going; a mixed bag, but with some decent players.

Burley I would have said was the best teams and style of play if seen. It was very attacking, dynamic, and exciting to watch. Plus it built over multiple seasons, culminating in the glorious Premiership season.

Magilton was a real joy with his wand of a foot… not sure we’ve a player who has replicated that.

Is this team playing more beautiful football than the best Burley team… I would have had said no; but that first half against a good Hull team was next level.

It’s progressive, technical, modern, attacking… it’s a dream… and the dark days of Micks last season and that terrible football seems a long time ago

Born in 72.... I had you down as 30. Mad!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 09:00 - Oct 9 with 3735 viewsNthQldITFC

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 07:35 - Oct 9 by unstableblue

Born 72

I'm gonna do the thing that I find a little, urrgh, and quote myself (re. Hull first half):

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that's the best half I've ever seen from... by NthQldITFC 3 Oct 2023 20:38
Ipswich, including all of the Burley years.

Particularly this bit:
'Add to that the total co-ordination of the team and the intelligence of the movement - they're like a single, switched on predatory organism at the moment!'
[Post edited 9 Oct 2023 9:02]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 09:17 - Oct 9 with 3668 viewswoodbridge_blue

I started going in 1971, and completely agree with your post.

The one major stumbling block throughout the Robson era was our lack of squad depth. We simply did not have replacements of the calibre of those players who got injured.

It's feasible to imagine that with a stronger squad we might have won three league titles during that period. Don't forget that in 1974/75 we lost the league by two points and 76/77 I seem to recall we were top in January, but we always seemed to be hit by serious injuries in the second half of the season.
Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 09:21 - Oct 9 with 3655 viewsCityBlue

I would say that technically this is the best ever squad to wear the blue of Ipswich. I watched the club through the late seventies and eighties and although we had on field success it wasn't always the most technical of football. The game was very different in them days and with only one sub for example and without the money, the influx of talent and the disparity across the top tier was marginal.
Now there are high gulfs in talent and more and more technical aspects to the game. These players are athletes first and not sneaking off to groundsman's hut for a crafty ciggy.

I T I D

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 09:33 - Oct 9 with 3622 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I just about caught the end of Burleys Tenure but don't remember it too much. Royle years were fun.

But what's happening now, especially when you contextualise it by saying this is pretty much the same team that was in League one (regardless of how good it was in league one) is pretty insane. Everything we do is so aggressive, purposeful and positive. I remember over the last 10 or so years watching us play against teams and turning to the person sitting next to me saying "they look like they are going to score every time they go forward" and being so jealous as I watched Gwion Edwards and Alan Judge pretend to be competent footballers.

We are that team now. Every time we cross the halfway line, I'm convinced that at worst we are going force the keeper to make a save or put one just past the post. Is it the betst football ever from a Town side, I couldn't possibly say, is it the most fun. I think it has to be.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2023 9:34]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 09:38 - Oct 9 with 3590 viewsLeoMuff

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 09:33 - Oct 9 by TRUE_BLUE123

I just about caught the end of Burleys Tenure but don't remember it too much. Royle years were fun.

But what's happening now, especially when you contextualise it by saying this is pretty much the same team that was in League one (regardless of how good it was in league one) is pretty insane. Everything we do is so aggressive, purposeful and positive. I remember over the last 10 or so years watching us play against teams and turning to the person sitting next to me saying "they look like they are going to score every time they go forward" and being so jealous as I watched Gwion Edwards and Alan Judge pretend to be competent footballers.

We are that team now. Every time we cross the halfway line, I'm convinced that at worst we are going force the keeper to make a save or put one just past the post. Is it the betst football ever from a Town side, I couldn't possibly say, is it the most fun. I think it has to be.

I was abroad for the Royle years so can’t comment, but I’m not sure we are better than the later Burley teams of 98/99, 99/00, 00/01, we were far superior to almost all championship sides, it reminded me of Kmac team in league 1, teams would play for a draw or even to avoid a tonking.

Time will tell but I’m not sure we are there yet, but Burley did have a decent budget for the second tier for the era.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 09:51 - Oct 9 with 3536 viewsDJR

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 09:21 - Oct 9 by CityBlue

I would say that technically this is the best ever squad to wear the blue of Ipswich. I watched the club through the late seventies and eighties and although we had on field success it wasn't always the most technical of football. The game was very different in them days and with only one sub for example and without the money, the influx of talent and the disparity across the top tier was marginal.
Now there are high gulfs in talent and more and more technical aspects to the game. These players are athletes first and not sneaking off to groundsman's hut for a crafty ciggy.

I think that is a bit harsh. With the exception of Paul Cooper, all the starting 11 of the later Robson team were internationals, and, for example, Arnold Muhren and Franz Thyseen were in my view far better technical players than any of our current players. Indeed, it is perhaps surprising that the current team doesn't have any foreign players who are not from Commonwealth countries. It strikes me that that may well be something we need to change if we get promoted.

I might add that Mick McNeil, a defender from an earlier era, used to take rugby training at Ipswich Rugby club, and, on one occasion I recall, used a football, challenging people to get the ball off him. No-one could get anywhere near him..
[Post edited 9 Oct 2023 10:06]
Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 10:47 - Oct 9 with 3432 viewsshady

True.

I started going in 1964 and thought 'ncle Bill McGarry really had us
playing great football. Then he left feeling he could not lift us any higher
than struggling in the top tier

Along comes Bobby Robson with his vision and style and with the good fortune that some of our youth squad turned out world beaters.
Furthermore he was one of the first to bring overseas players to Portman Rd
The football was great and so were the results but there was always a feeling
of exhaustion. We had 11 exceptional players with little back up and if injuries piled up we couldn't cope with the relentless fixture list of league and cups and Europe.
We lost a few more games than should have been the case.

The Burley years were a true romance and well deserved.

Right now, just pinch me, is it a dream?
The football is of the same top level, a pleasure for us all after years of sadness.
Of course, nothing achieved yet, but it's looking good and another promotion would prove that this team has reached out to the stars.
Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 10:50 - Oct 9 with 3423 viewsTheIpswichWay

I think John Lyall's 91-92 team deserve a mention here. In terms of defined patterns of play the way they used Steve Whitton on the right wing as a focal point for the likes of Kiwomya and Dozzell to play off was something opposition teams couldn't get to grips with and was pretty easy on the eye too. Let's not forget that they actually won the second tier too whilst giving a strong Liverpool team a real fright at Anfield in the cup so I definitely think then and now is comparable in terms of the ability to get the most out of a group of players.
Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 11:30 - Oct 9 with 3342 viewsWeWereZombies

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 09:38 - Oct 9 by LeoMuff

I was abroad for the Royle years so can’t comment, but I’m not sure we are better than the later Burley teams of 98/99, 99/00, 00/01, we were far superior to almost all championship sides, it reminded me of Kmac team in league 1, teams would play for a draw or even to avoid a tonking.

Time will tell but I’m not sure we are there yet, but Burley did have a decent budget for the second tier for the era.

Bear in mind that, for a couple of seasons at least, Burley's budget came from sales of players we would have held on to if there was more money in the kitty.

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 11:37 - Oct 9 with 3320 viewsSharkey

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 09:33 - Oct 9 by TRUE_BLUE123

Alan Judge was a very very competent footballer until he had the misfortune to meet Luke Hyam.

Wkiipedia: "At the 2016 Football League Awards, Judge was shortlisted for the Championship Player of the Year award and was named in the Football League Team of the Year.[He was also named in the Championship PFA Team of the Year at the PFA Awards and won the Brentford Supporters' and Players' Player of the Year awards."
Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 12:44 - Oct 9 with 3179 viewsVic

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 10:47 - Oct 9 by shady

True.

I started going in 1964 and thought 'ncle Bill McGarry really had us
playing great football. Then he left feeling he could not lift us any higher
than struggling in the top tier

Along comes Bobby Robson with his vision and style and with the good fortune that some of our youth squad turned out world beaters.
Furthermore he was one of the first to bring overseas players to Portman Rd
The football was great and so were the results but there was always a feeling
of exhaustion. We had 11 exceptional players with little back up and if injuries piled up we couldn't cope with the relentless fixture list of league and cups and Europe.
We lost a few more games than should have been the case.

The Burley years were a true romance and well deserved.

Right now, just pinch me, is it a dream?
The football is of the same top level, a pleasure for us all after years of sadness.
Of course, nothing achieved yet, but it's looking good and another promotion would prove that this team has reached out to the stars.

In fact Robson was one of the first to bring in overseas players - full stop. Spurs did it with Ardiles and Villa at pretty much the same time - August 1978 but I'm not sure there were many others before them.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 13:05 - Oct 9 with 3135 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 11:37 - Oct 9 by Sharkey

Alan Judge was a very very competent footballer until he had the misfortune to meet Luke Hyam.

Wkiipedia: "At the 2016 Football League Awards, Judge was shortlisted for the Championship Player of the Year award and was named in the Football League Team of the Year.[He was also named in the Championship PFA Team of the Year at the PFA Awards and won the Brentford Supporters' and Players' Player of the Year awards."

He was indeed. I remember well.

But he didn't play for us in 2016.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 13:58 - Oct 9 with 3036 viewsWeWereZombies

Best football I’ve seen from a Town side…ever on 12:44 - Oct 9 by Vic

In fact Robson was one of the first to bring in overseas players - full stop. Spurs did it with Ardiles and Villa at pretty much the same time - August 1978 but I'm not sure there were many others before them.

Aston Villa signed this Argentine in 1967:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Fullon%C3%A9

But I only know that because of a Jasper Carrot monologue where the Birmingham City supporter mentions that Villa have signed an arse...

And we had USA international Gerry Baker on our books in 1963, but he was Anglo-Scots really.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024