Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Let’s kick gambling ads out of football 17:29 - Nov 18 with 5415 viewsCotty

Fair play, I wish we would sign up for this too.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/nov/17/afc-wimbledon-join-campaign-to-
Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 17:38 - Nov 18 with 4134 viewsfranz_tyson

So what next to ban? We'll run out of things to ban soon.

Why not work out why people want to drink/smoke/gamble/w@nk/etc to excess and give people other better options to enjoy themselves rather than finding the next thing to ban.
Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 17:48 - Nov 18 with 4079 viewsBlueBadger

Every time I watch a game on Sky I am appalled at how pervasive predatory gambling practices are now in football. And it's not just in ad breaks. It's literally everywhere around grounds.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 17:55 - Nov 18 with 4065 viewsSitfcB

Tbf we don’t have any sort of betting sponsor though, no ‘offfial betting partner’ like a lot of clubs latch on to.

Obviously have to have the SkyBet ads, and the occasional Bet365 one due to the league sponsorships.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 17:55 - Nov 18 with 4077 viewsBlueBadger

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 17:38 - Nov 18 by franz_tyson

Why not work out why people want to drink/smoke/gamble/w@nk/etc to excess and give people other better options to enjoy themselves rather than finding the next thing to ban.

Part of the reason for people 'wanting'(now there's a loaded phrase) to to develop gambling addictions is saturation presence in the media which ads being tailored to promote it as something to 'improve' your match day experience AND make you better off combined with the ridiculously easy level of accessibility and the tempting entry offers.

A key factor in smoking and drinking habits changing for the better has been restrictions upon advertising.
Problems gambling is, like all addictions, a health problem which can bring lifetime difficulties for people and it's now at an all-time high, thanks to its ever present nature in popular culture and general and football right now is INFESTED with it now and frankly, the openly predatory gambling companies need taking in hand.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 22:45]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 17:56 - Nov 18 with 4051 viewsBlueBadger

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 17:55 - Nov 18 by SitfcB

Tbf we don’t have any sort of betting sponsor though, no ‘offfial betting partner’ like a lot of clubs latch on to.

Obviously have to have the SkyBet ads, and the occasional Bet365 one due to the league sponsorships.

We did, very recently have a very tinpot gambling firm sponsoring us though. And just because it isn't as bad here as other clubs, doesn't mean we can't be better in limiting the damage caused by predatory gambling firms.

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 18:23 - Nov 18 with 3988 viewsEastTownBlue

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 17:55 - Nov 18 by SitfcB

For a while the FA had a betting partner while banning players (for obvious reasons) from gambling. They eventually saw the hypocrisy.
Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 18:41 - Nov 18 with 3950 viewsGeoffSentence

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 17:38 - Nov 18 by franz_tyson

you have the wrong end of the stick. no one suggested banning gambling.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:01 - Nov 18 with 3846 viewsMK1

Pretty hard to ban. They sponsor a lot of sports and there isn't a never ending stream of other industries with the money. It should be better governed with maybe a limit of ads per game etc. but to ban it is almost impossible in todays financial climate.
Login to get fewer ads

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:17 - Nov 18 with 3819 viewsCotty

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:01 - Nov 18 by MK1

Pretty hard to ban. They sponsor a lot of sports and there isn't a never ending stream of other industries with the money. It should be better governed with maybe a limit of ads per game etc. but to ban it is almost impossible in todays financial climate.

You’re saying something is not possible, commenting on an article reporting that several clubs have done it.
Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:23 - Nov 18 with 3755 viewsGlasgowBlue

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:01 - Nov 18 by MK1

Tobacco used to sponsor a lot of sport. Very easy to ban gambling sponsorhip if there is the will to do so.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:30 - Nov 18 with 3687 viewsMK1

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:17 - Nov 18 by Cotty

You’re saying something is not possible, commenting on an article reporting that several clubs have done it.

Your title says "ads". I took that to mean the adverts on television as well as sponsorship. Sorry if I got the wrong end.
Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:33 - Nov 18 with 3684 viewsMK1

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:23 - Nov 18 by GlasgowBlue

Tobacco used to sponsor a lot of sport. Very easy to ban gambling sponsorhip if there is the will to do so.

Not that easy if you want the same level of income. If the world of football is going to take a step back and say that there is to much money involved, then I am all for it. Unlikely though I think.
Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:46 - Nov 18 with 3632 viewsBlueBadger

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:33 - Nov 18 by MK1

Not that easy if you want the same level of income. If the world of football is going to take a step back and say that there is to much money involved, then I am all for it. Unlikely though I think.

This is what people said about cigarette advertising as well.

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:59 - Nov 18 with 3597 viewsMK1

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:46 - Nov 18 by BlueBadger

This is what people said about cigarette advertising as well.

So we replaced smoking with gambling. Like I say, there isn't an endless stream of industries with the money to invest.
Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 20:14 - Nov 18 with 3575 viewsBlueBadger

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:59 - Nov 18 by MK1

So we replaced smoking with gambling. Like I say, there isn't an endless stream of industries with the money to invest.

Yeah, people said that about cigarette advertising as well. And frankly, ifs there's one thing that's been steadily making football worse over past couple of decades it's the ludicrous amounts of money coming in.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 20:14]

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 20:36 - Nov 18 with 3515 viewsMK1

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 20:14 - Nov 18 by BlueBadger

Yeah, people said that about cigarette advertising as well. And frankly, ifs there's one thing that's been steadily making football worse over past couple of decades it's the ludicrous amounts of money coming in.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 20:14]

Like I say, we replaced fags with gambling. None of the top clubs are going to take a hit on their income in these harder times. Would love for there to be less money in football, but it ain't going to happen. Sky aren't going to lose the income, they pay over the odds for the coverage. You keep saying we dropped the cigs, but we replaced that with gambling. Not much of an improvement. I am all for it, but am also realist. The top clubs are only interested in money. Sky are only interested in money. We really should, but who replaces them.
Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 20:37 - Nov 18 with 3503 viewsGlasgowBlue

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 19:59 - Nov 18 by MK1

It's just how thing evolve, surely?

As the evidence that smoking was a killer became irrefutable, it became less socially acceptable and eventually tobacco sponsorship was banned.

When I was growing up, you saw old men coming out of book makers on a Saturday afternoon. My Granny went to bingo on a Sunday night and my old man did the pools once a week.

Now, gambling is everywhere. On the high street, on your phone, on your laptop, at football matches. And evidence is emerging regarding the harm it is doing to some people.

So we need to move on from gambling sponsorship. And hopeful gambling advertising.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 20:53 - Nov 18 with 3477 viewsMK1

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 20:37 - Nov 18 by GlasgowBlue

It's just how thing evolve, surely?

As the evidence that smoking was a killer became irrefutable, it became less socially acceptable and eventually tobacco sponsorship was banned.

When I was growing up, you saw old men coming out of book makers on a Saturday afternoon. My Granny went to bingo on a Sunday night and my old man did the pools once a week.

Now, gambling is everywhere. On the high street, on your phone, on your laptop, at football matches. And evidence is emerging regarding the harm it is doing to some people.

So we need to move on from gambling sponsorship. And hopeful gambling advertising.

I am not disagreeing with any of you, the opposite is true. I am just saying that what industry is next. Gambling companies invest a hell of a lot of money into sports. What industry want to replace them.
Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 21:23 - Nov 18 with 3432 viewsCotty

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 20:53 - Nov 18 by MK1

I am not disagreeing with any of you, the opposite is true. I am just saying that what industry is next. Gambling companies invest a hell of a lot of money into sports. What industry want to replace them.

They do not need to be replaced.
Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 22:11 - Nov 18 with 3304 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 20:53 - Nov 18 by MK1

You seem to be saying they filled the void rather than that they were invited to replace it. Since there was quite a gap between the end of tobacco advertising and the proliferation of gambling adverts we see now, I don't think it is anything like as simple as that.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 22:55 - Nov 18 with 3222 viewsBlueBadger

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 20:36 - Nov 18 by MK1

Like I say, we replaced fags with gambling. None of the top clubs are going to take a hit on their income in these harder times. Would love for there to be less money in football, but it ain't going to happen. Sky aren't going to lose the income, they pay over the odds for the coverage. You keep saying we dropped the cigs, but we replaced that with gambling. Not much of an improvement. I am all for it, but am also realist. The top clubs are only interested in money. Sky are only interested in money. We really should, but who replaces them.

'Sky might lose some money if the gambling parasites aren't there' isn't the gotcha you think it is champ.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 22:55]

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 07:06 - Nov 19 with 2989 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 20:36 - Nov 18 by MK1

AS Badger has pointed out above, football has become far worse as more money has come in. On day 1 of the season, how many teams stand a realistic chance of winning the PL? How many teams will be in the relegation battle? It's all too predictable, same with the promotion contenders who have parachute payments.
We desperately need a reset. The vast majority of clubs obviously aren't going to vote for a ban on advertising gambling as it will reduce TV money. The evidence of the huge harm it does to society is irrefutable. This needs the government to intervene, a government with a degree of conscience. Ban gambling advertising - on not just shirts, on sleeves, hoardings, in the ad breaks on TV, of the EFL - a total ban like smoking. Money for Sky/BT etc will plummet. The money from TV will therefore plummet. Player wages, PL and EFL chiefs salaries will plummet. And the game, and society, will benefit.

Edit: highest paid person in the UK - Denise Coates, CEO of Bet 365. She made £265M last year. Just think about that.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2023 7:09]

Poll: would you rather

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 08:23 - Nov 19 with 2923 viewsMK1

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 07:06 - Nov 19 by LegendofthePhoenix

AS Badger has pointed out above, football has become far worse as more money has come in. On day 1 of the season, how many teams stand a realistic chance of winning the PL? How many teams will be in the relegation battle? It's all too predictable, same with the promotion contenders who have parachute payments.
We desperately need a reset. The vast majority of clubs obviously aren't going to vote for a ban on advertising gambling as it will reduce TV money. The evidence of the huge harm it does to society is irrefutable. This needs the government to intervene, a government with a degree of conscience. Ban gambling advertising - on not just shirts, on sleeves, hoardings, in the ad breaks on TV, of the EFL - a total ban like smoking. Money for Sky/BT etc will plummet. The money from TV will therefore plummet. Player wages, PL and EFL chiefs salaries will plummet. And the game, and society, will benefit.

Edit: highest paid person in the UK - Denise Coates, CEO of Bet 365. She made £265M last year. Just think about that.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2023 7:09]

Where have I said that I am against it.
Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 08:27 - Nov 19 with 2918 viewsMK1

Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 22:55 - Nov 18 by BlueBadger

'Sky might lose some money if the gambling parasites aren't there' isn't the gotcha you think it is champ.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 22:55]

'Sky might lose some money if the gambling parasites aren't there' .
Please don't put words into my mouth.
Let’s kick gambling ads out of football on 08:51 - Nov 19 with 2886 viewsMullet

Quick reminder When Saturday Comes took the stance against gambling a long time ago even though it hurt them financially.

I'm not one for gambling, but having seen what it does to lads and their families it's baffling we allow it to be pushed so heavily. It's pretty much accepted amongst proper fans that the money in football has ruined it through inequality, if this helps redress the balance I'm all for it.

Gambling should be replaced by local musician sponsorship.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024