Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna 19:42 - Nov 25 with 3601 viewsSomethingBlue

I mean, it was always going to happen wasn’t it - it’s taken 17 games after promotion and I’m sure we will use it well. West Brom had the combination of better players and excellent coaching that will always prove difficult. McKenna will know the things we need to add, particularly in terms of speed and physicality, and it’ll take several transfer windows. For now we have one of the toughest away games done, with little harm to our buffer in the league, and two good home fixtures coming up. Nothing to be too anguished about and no fingers to be pointed.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 19:43 - Nov 25 with 3134 viewsJohn_Warks_Willy

What a very sensible post.

Poll: Is Billm….

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 20:01 - Nov 25 with 3007 viewsDubtractor

Yep, they well and truly did a number on us. A very well drilled team indeed and we had no real threat against them at all, bar a little spell in the middle of the first half, with Burns being pretty wasteful.

I think that starting Taylor was intended to help pick through their defence, but in reality he was lost and we were unable to dictate play as we often do. All of the attacking 4 had off days. A real shame that Hutchinson was unavailable as it was a game that demanded a bit of skill.

But it was always going to be a really tough game, and it really is no drama to lose it, but we do need to bounce back on Tuesday. A slight concern that our away performances look a bit patchy at the moment, but our home form still looks supreme, and despite the disappointment today we shouldn't forget that we pummelled Swansea in the last game - just that annoying late goal taking the shine off it.

We clearly need a few additional options (upgrades on the current sub options) in January - most clearly as an alternative to Hirst - and I don't doubt we'll see some movement.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 20:11 - Nov 25 with 2943 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Do you do coaching/mentoring at all? I wonder if you might take Wallers and Frimmers under your wing, I'm sure we'd all chip in for the fee.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 20:11 - Nov 25 with 2931 viewsRyorry

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 20:01 - Nov 25 by Dubtractor

Yep, they well and truly did a number on us. A very well drilled team indeed and we had no real threat against them at all, bar a little spell in the middle of the first half, with Burns being pretty wasteful.

I think that starting Taylor was intended to help pick through their defence, but in reality he was lost and we were unable to dictate play as we often do. All of the attacking 4 had off days. A real shame that Hutchinson was unavailable as it was a game that demanded a bit of skill.

But it was always going to be a really tough game, and it really is no drama to lose it, but we do need to bounce back on Tuesday. A slight concern that our away performances look a bit patchy at the moment, but our home form still looks supreme, and despite the disappointment today we shouldn't forget that we pummelled Swansea in the last game - just that annoying late goal taking the shine off it.

We clearly need a few additional options (upgrades on the current sub options) in January - most clearly as an alternative to Hirst - and I don't doubt we'll see some movement.

Hmm, well I have a feeling that on Tuesday we just won’t turn up

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 20:53 - Nov 25 with 2735 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Agreed. I’ve been blown away by the speed and physicality we’re up against, especially from Leeds, Southampton and Wolves, Fulham reserves. Seems massively different from when we were last in the championship, unless my senses have been dulled by the last few seasons.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 20:59 - Nov 25 with 2684 viewsFrimleyBlue

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 20:11 - Nov 25 by The_Flashing_Smile

Do you do coaching/mentoring at all? I wonder if you might take Wallers and Frimmers under your wing, I'm sure we'd all chip in for the fee.

Why? I said what he said during the 2nd half.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 21:01 - Nov 25 with 2672 viewstractorboy1978

Spot on, you echo my thoughts exactly.

Leicester and Leeds both have to go there in December. If WBA play like that, they will both do well to come away from it with 3 points.
First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 21:12 - Nov 25 with 2602 viewsBasuco

Agree, beaten by a better team, and a very good manager who got the tactics spot on, no complaints and certainly no individual errors, as a team we had a bad day at the office. Move on and get back to winning ways on Wednesday.
Login to get fewer ads

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 21:17 - Nov 25 with 2587 viewsLankHenners

Think I said earlier on here I feared this sort of game would happen this evening. Very experienced team, lots of physicality and athleticism, very good coach who's excellent at getting his teams organised, especially in a defensive sense. Did think beforehand if we conceded first again it may be one time too many against this quality of opposition.

Not too much needs poring over really - sometimes you don't play so well and lose to the better team, that's football. As Dub said, shame we didn't have Omari as it felt like we needed his ability to take the ball under pressure and carry it forwards at pace. Not saying we'd have got something from 2-0 down solely if he'd played but he's the type of player who can force something from nothing, which is what we were reduced to in the end.

One thing I would comment on is, and I've said it before, as much the idea of 'the squad' has been used effectively by McKenna, I'm not too convinced on the quality of many of the players behind what you'd say now are the starters. If we struggled to get Broadhead in the game we sure as hell weren't going to get Harness into it, and Jackson's lack of composure/quality on the ball was shown up a bit against the level of opponent. Ladapo looked a bit cumbersome when he came on, much like at Rotherham. Thought Scarlett was a bright spark, shame we didn't see more of him, hopefully we will going forwards.

As you say though, McKenna will be well aware of the sorts of players we'll need to add to end up with a squad full of proper, top Championship level pros.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 21:19 - Nov 25 with 2544 viewsbilllm

Excellent post,
Yes a footballing lesson,
Two huge games coming up,
First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 21:21 - Nov 25 with 2524 viewsTheBoyBlue

Spot on. I have to admit that I thought this would be a regular occurrence given the step up in quality of the opposition this season, so as you say, impressive that its taken this long.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 21:28 - Nov 25 with 2491 viewsSomethingBlue

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 21:17 - Nov 25 by LankHenners

Think I said earlier on here I feared this sort of game would happen this evening. Very experienced team, lots of physicality and athleticism, very good coach who's excellent at getting his teams organised, especially in a defensive sense. Did think beforehand if we conceded first again it may be one time too many against this quality of opposition.

Not too much needs poring over really - sometimes you don't play so well and lose to the better team, that's football. As Dub said, shame we didn't have Omari as it felt like we needed his ability to take the ball under pressure and carry it forwards at pace. Not saying we'd have got something from 2-0 down solely if he'd played but he's the type of player who can force something from nothing, which is what we were reduced to in the end.

One thing I would comment on is, and I've said it before, as much the idea of 'the squad' has been used effectively by McKenna, I'm not too convinced on the quality of many of the players behind what you'd say now are the starters. If we struggled to get Broadhead in the game we sure as hell weren't going to get Harness into it, and Jackson's lack of composure/quality on the ball was shown up a bit against the level of opponent. Ladapo looked a bit cumbersome when he came on, much like at Rotherham. Thought Scarlett was a bright spark, shame we didn't see more of him, hopefully we will going forwards.

As you say though, McKenna will be well aware of the sorts of players we'll need to add to end up with a squad full of proper, top Championship level pros.

Agree with you and Dub about the subs - was clear at the outset that we’d have nothing to really shift the dial against a team of that quality if we needed to chase the game. That’s just a legacy of where we’ve come from and I expect a few fairly unsentimental decisions will need making as soon as January if we’re to keep entertaining serious promotion hopes. Fairly sure we will do what is needed.

Scarlett is clearly getting closer to it - people would do well to remember that it took Hutchinson a while too and not many of us doubt him now.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 23:00 - Nov 25 with 2253 viewsreusersfreekicks

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 20:11 - Nov 25 by The_Flashing_Smile

Perfect! Precisely what I was thinking. Please make this happen
First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 08:46 - Nov 26 with 1890 viewsITFC_Forever

WBA are a street-wise, physically fit and strong, experienced group with a lot of Prem / top-end Champ quality and experience, and as Phil says in his report, they’ll fancy themselves to get right in the mix as they have enough to beat anyone.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Yeh but no but on 08:48 - Nov 26 with 1872 viewsDyland

Yeh but Burns/Jackson/subs/Hladky/Walton/Luke's hair/ref/fans/etc...

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 08:50 - Nov 26 with 1856 viewsHerbivore

The big frustration was gifting them the goals at the times that we did. Very much played into their hands and let them play the game on their terms. That said, we wrestled control back well in the first half and had we made more of some promising situations we could have gone in level and it wouldn't have been an unfair reflection on the balance of play in that first half. Second goal killed the game completely and they did a number on us after that, just didn't let us get anything going.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Agreed on 09:12 - Nov 26 with 1786 viewsDyland

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 21:17 - Nov 25 by LankHenners

Definitely missed some magic (Omari). Also thought Scarlett could have been brought on ten minutes earlier.

Agreed on 09:14 - Nov 26 with 1772 viewsHerbivore

Agreed on 09:12 - Nov 26 by Dyland

Definitely missed some magic (Omari). Also thought Scarlett could have been brought on ten minutes earlier.

Omari was a miss. When a team goes man to man on you like WBA did to us much of the time then having someone with the ability to beat a player is gold dust. We really lacked that yesterday and it was all a bit predictable, which is unlike us.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 09:17 - Nov 26 with 1756 viewsMK1

And it will happen again this season, without doubt. Luckily, we have a manager who is already good and will learn from every game ,win, lose or draw. He will look at last night and learn from it, make no mistake about that. He is the right man at exactly the right time for our football club. Onwards and upwards.
indeed (n/t) on 09:18 - Nov 26 with 1752 viewsDyland

Agreed on 09:14 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

Omari was a miss. When a team goes man to man on you like WBA did to us much of the time then having someone with the ability to beat a player is gold dust. We really lacked that yesterday and it was all a bit predictable, which is unlike us.

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 09:21 - Nov 26 with 1732 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 20:59 - Nov 25 by FrimleyBlue

Why? I said what he said during the 2nd half.

Where have you said anything remotely similar to SB? His OP here is on +39 as I write, your Burns OP a couple of posts lower is on -38. The fact that you think you're remotely similar is exactly why you need his coaching. And this isn't just a comment on all your drivel from last night.

I don't post on Gaza because I'm utterly clueless on it. Know your strengths. I don't know what yours are but it's time to move on from 'footballing insights'.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2023 9:23]

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 09:42 - Nov 26 with 1674 viewsFrimleyBlue

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 09:21 - Nov 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

Where have you said anything remotely similar to SB? His OP here is on +39 as I write, your Burns OP a couple of posts lower is on -38. The fact that you think you're remotely similar is exactly why you need his coaching. And this isn't just a comment on all your drivel from last night.

I don't post on Gaza because I'm utterly clueless on it. Know your strengths. I don't know what yours are but it's time to move on from 'footballing insights'.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2023 9:23]

Not sure why you're comparing two threads about different things. How odd.

Anyways. I said during the game that its the first game imo that KM had been tactically outdone etc etc

Which is rather impressive when it was his 100th game don't you think.

Waka waka eh eh

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 09:49 - Nov 26 with 1660 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 09:42 - Nov 26 by FrimleyBlue

Not sure why you're comparing two threads about different things. How odd.

Anyways. I said during the game that its the first game imo that KM had been tactically outdone etc etc

Which is rather impressive when it was his 100th game don't you think.

Firstly, I'm not comparing the content of the threads. I'm making an overall observation on threads close to each other by different posters, which sum up the footballing knowledge of said posters and what the rest of the board think of them.

I'm also not talking about specifics on all the drivel you've posted, so picking out one observation that's a reasonable comment from the absolute tonne of sh!t rather misses the point.

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 09:54 - Nov 26 with 1642 viewsFrimleyBlue

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 09:49 - Nov 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

Firstly, I'm not comparing the content of the threads. I'm making an overall observation on threads close to each other by different posters, which sum up the footballing knowledge of said posters and what the rest of the board think of them.

I'm also not talking about specifics on all the drivel you've posted, so picking out one observation that's a reasonable comment from the absolute tonne of sh!t rather misses the point.

But the two threads made are different so there's no point comparing them. Mine specifically of course was directed a handful of posters which I've made clear within the thread.

I am intrigued to know apart from that one OP of mine.. what else have I said that you disagree with about the game.. think its a fair question to ask

Waka waka eh eh

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 11:49 - Nov 26 with 1542 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

First time we’ve really been given a lesson under McKenna on 09:54 - Nov 26 by FrimleyBlue

But the two threads made are different so there's no point comparing them. Mine specifically of course was directed a handful of posters which I've made clear within the thread.

I am intrigued to know apart from that one OP of mine.. what else have I said that you disagree with about the game.. think its a fair question to ask

What part of "I'm not comparing the content of the threads" are you struggling with?

I've disagreed with every bit of drivel I've read of yours during and after yesterday's game. I could've compared the arrows of SB's post and ANY of your posts. Most of them are on minus scores. For a reason.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024