Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked 14:48 - Dec 4 with 11552 viewsWoolfenthen

2 years on, who would have imagined where would be
2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 15:36 - Dec 4 with 5604 viewsN2_Blue

Is it really? Wow that time has flown by?

I wonder how Keanish is doing and if two seasons of Mckenna at the wheel have got him over Paul Cook's sacking.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 15:39 - Dec 4 with 5590 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

It seems to have worked out for everyone involved. Cook the transitional manager who did the bloody job of putting the previous era to the sword but ultimately not being the manager to take us further, and he’s gone on to continue to be a successful manager in the lower leagues and we’re on our best run for 20 years playing some of the best football we ever had.
2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 16:05 - Dec 4 with 5477 viewsLeoMuff

Wasn’t sure it was the right thing at the time, just shows what I know…

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 16:08 - Dec 4 with 5464 viewsbobbyramsey

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 15:39 - Dec 4 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

It seems to have worked out for everyone involved. Cook the transitional manager who did the bloody job of putting the previous era to the sword but ultimately not being the manager to take us further, and he’s gone on to continue to be a successful manager in the lower leagues and we’re on our best run for 20 years playing some of the best football we ever had.

Paul Cook deserves a lot of credit for having the guts to dismantle the previous sh!tshower….
2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 16:15 - Dec 4 with 5435 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 16:08 - Dec 4 by bobbyramsey

Paul Cook deserves a lot of credit for having the guts to dismantle the previous sh!tshower….

He clearly had something, Hladky, Burgess, Morsy, Evans, Burns, Chaplin, Walton, and so all turned out to be very good signings.
2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 16:17 - Dec 4 with 5431 views_clive_baker_

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 15:39 - Dec 4 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

We were painfully inconsistent under Cook, at times we showed glimpses of what we were capable of. Just a month before his sacking we went away to Wycombe and won 4-1, he left us with a league win and the Celina 'wonder goal', but we never found a stride under him or looked like being strong enough to challenge for promotion.

What is always in his defense is his recruitment though. He signed Walton and Hladky, Morsy probably wouldn't be here were it not for his time with Cook at Wigan, same for Evans, he signed Chaplin who had played under him at Pompey. Burgess, Edmundson, Burns, Edwards, Aluko. He brought JD back from the dead after Lambert had done his utmost to ditch him for the 2nd time in his career.

Didn't all work out of course, he needlessly overlooked Woolfenden and signed a few duds (Pigott and Harper), but they weren't all going to when you bring in 15 odd permanent signings in 1 window. Certainly deserves a bit of credit for bringing the nucleus of the side that have done such good things over the past 2 years IMO.
2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 16:19 - Dec 4 with 5398 viewsbobbyramsey

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 16:15 - Dec 4 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

He clearly had something, Hladky, Burgess, Morsy, Evans, Burns, Chaplin, Walton, and so all turned out to be very good signings.

Just a shame that he didn’t really know how to utilise them…..
2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 16:27 - Dec 4 with 5365 viewsBlue_In_Boston

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 16:17 - Dec 4 by _clive_baker_

We were painfully inconsistent under Cook, at times we showed glimpses of what we were capable of. Just a month before his sacking we went away to Wycombe and won 4-1, he left us with a league win and the Celina 'wonder goal', but we never found a stride under him or looked like being strong enough to challenge for promotion.

What is always in his defense is his recruitment though. He signed Walton and Hladky, Morsy probably wouldn't be here were it not for his time with Cook at Wigan, same for Evans, he signed Chaplin who had played under him at Pompey. Burgess, Edmundson, Burns, Edwards, Aluko. He brought JD back from the dead after Lambert had done his utmost to ditch him for the 2nd time in his career.

Didn't all work out of course, he needlessly overlooked Woolfenden and signed a few duds (Pigott and Harper), but they weren't all going to when you bring in 15 odd permanent signings in 1 window. Certainly deserves a bit of credit for bringing the nucleus of the side that have done such good things over the past 2 years IMO.

Excellent appraisal, looking back as you have Paul Cook certainly recruited well. In fact when you look at what some of those signings would now be worth on the transfer market then he has put the club in a sound position with his transfer dealings.
Login to get fewer ads

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 18:55 - Dec 4 with 5119 viewsSharkey

Vaguely related - I see El Mizouni scored the winner for Chesterfield against Orient at the weekend from a Dobra cross.
2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 19:19 - Dec 4 with 5028 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 16:17 - Dec 4 by _clive_baker_

He changed so much in such a short space, then wasn't given enough time for them to gel (which McKenna benefitted from when he arrived). Not that I'd change anything given what has happened since, and McKenna's professionalism is streets ahead.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 19:30 - Dec 4 with 4959 viewsVic

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 19:19 - Dec 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

He changed so much in such a short space, then wasn't given enough time for them to gel (which McKenna benefitted from when he arrived). Not that I'd change anything given what has happened since, and McKenna's professionalism is streets ahead.

He did change a lot in a short period of time. It needed to change. But without raking over old wounds, he was completely insensitive and even disrespectful to some of the players in the way he did it.

Personally I’m not sure that he would have got it right even with more time. We’ll never know. One thing is for sure, we’d never have the excitement, skill and style that we all so enjoy now if he’d have stayed.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 19:45 - Dec 4 with 4898 viewsBarcaBlue

I think that's a very generous appraisal of his time here. I think you're overlooking a few things, starting with his staff.
2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 19:49 - Dec 4 with 4885 viewsHerbivore

Cook couldn't gel them in 5 months, McKenna gelled them in about a week.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 19:50 - Dec 4 with 4873 viewsHerbivore

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 15:36 - Dec 4 by N2_Blue

Is it really? Wow that time has flown by?

I wonder how Keanish is doing and if two seasons of Mckenna at the wheel have got him over Paul Cook's sacking.

Oh Officer (D)ibble is still with us, still having the odd pop at Mullet and Badger but not going so far as to say they've killed the club anymore. Think even he realises he can't really sustain that one anymore.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 19:57]

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 19:53 - Dec 4 with 4865 viewsthatbdude

Simple answer, absolutely no. KmK has changed the team in such an enormous way it's unreal

Poll: Who going down?

Cook clearly needed a good assistant coach (and a voice coach).... on 19:59 - Dec 4 with 4826 viewsunstableblue

I think this story was much more important than we realised, because Cook clearly struggled tactically:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/21280870.blow-cook-trusted-assistant-richardson-gets

But one thing you have to say for the demolition man... he smelt the rotten nature of the Ipswich squad and culture which he inherited and he laid the foundations for the true technical manager who was McKenna, by driving the most ridiculous transfer window in Town history.

Its Cook's players who have been the bedrock of our transformation:

Walton, Hladky, Burgess, Morsy, Chaplin, Burns

Morsy has been the difference engine - no Morsy no party

He also signed:

Edmundson, Edwards, Aluko, Evans, Celina and Bonne.. who've also played their part
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 19:59]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 20:05 - Dec 4 with 4780 viewschicoazul

Signed some good players, some of whom he already knew, with a big budget for excellent salaries. So what. That’s easy, even Keane managed it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 20:17 - Dec 4 with 4751 viewsHerbivore

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 20:05 - Dec 4 by chicoazul

Signed some good players, some of whom he already knew, with a big budget for excellent salaries. So what. That’s easy, even Keane managed it.

Also worth noting he couldn't get those good players performing any better (in terms of results) than their supposedly hapless predecessors in the bomb squad. Think Cook gets cut more slack than his time here merits. If most managers had been given a blank cheque book and the chance to sign the likes of Chaplin and Morsy they'd have done the same. Knowing people seems to be the standout attribute he displayed at Town.

Town squad was rotten.. we can at least give him that he cleared it out on 20:20 - Dec 4 with 4727 viewsunstableblue

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 16:08 - Dec 4 by bobbyramsey

But as per post above, I think he lacked a good no2 to drive some of the tactics and technical training... his coaching team was very green

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 20:27 - Dec 4 with 4713 viewsDyland

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 20:17 - Dec 4 by Herbivore

Also worth noting he couldn't get those good players performing any better (in terms of results) than their supposedly hapless predecessors in the bomb squad. Think Cook gets cut more slack than his time here merits. If most managers had been given a blank cheque book and the chance to sign the likes of Chaplin and Morsy they'd have done the same. Knowing people seems to be the standout attribute he displayed at Town.

Also worth noting where he is currently managing. And as Barcers says... yeh right his management team hires. Ffs.

Any love in or insisting he has a lot of credit is a bit Ronnie Moore.

Saying that, he deffo deserves a big thank you for the players he got in who knew him, obviously liked playing for him, and are key for us currently.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 20:40 - Dec 4 with 4676 viewsHerbivore

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 20:27 - Dec 4 by Dyland

Also worth noting where he is currently managing. And as Barcers says... yeh right his management team hires. Ffs.

Any love in or insisting he has a lot of credit is a bit Ronnie Moore.

Saying that, he deffo deserves a big thank you for the players he got in who knew him, obviously liked playing for him, and are key for us currently.

Indeed, although I suspect they like playing for McKenna more. He's turned Chappers into Messi.

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 21:49 - Dec 4 with 4533 viewspatrickswell

Recruitment is the only thing that Cook can be given credit for. I’m surprised no one’s mentioned what an abysmal communicator he was too in comparison to McKenna. Ask McKenna a question, you get detail, insight and nuance. Ask Cook a question and you got “You don’t need me to tell you what happened tonight.”
If he was like that with players, I can only assume that Leam Richardson was a hell of an interpreter in terms of getting Cook’s messages/ideas across.
2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 22:01 - Dec 4 with 4492 viewsN2_Blue

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 21:49 - Dec 4 by patrickswell

Recruitment is the only thing that Cook can be given credit for. I’m surprised no one’s mentioned what an abysmal communicator he was too in comparison to McKenna. Ask McKenna a question, you get detail, insight and nuance. Ask Cook a question and you got “You don’t need me to tell you what happened tonight.”
If he was like that with players, I can only assume that Leam Richardson was a hell of an interpreter in terms of getting Cook’s messages/ideas across.

Spot on.

I’m never in favour of not giving managers time but Cook should have gone a few weeks earlier in my opinion and I was very vocal in wanting him gone at the time of his sacking.

He brought in decent players and seemed an ok guy but that was it. His interviews became increasingly frustrated and just full of cliches without ever saying what he thought the problem was and how the team would turn things around. Sitting in a pub with fans didn’t give the right look of a professional manager for me. He was a bit too much one of the lads .

Listening to Mckennas interviews in comparison with Paul Cooks are like night and day. I think Cook relied on morale and players wanting to play for him rather than being a tactician / coach . I think he was dreadfully lacking in that sense and his choice of assistants didn’t him no favours.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 22:37 - Dec 4 with 4431 viewsRadlett_blue

Cook was given a huge budget by League 1 standards so I reckon anyone could have come up with a few decent players on that basis. He was totally inept as a manager.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 23:07 - Dec 4 with 4376 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

2 years ago today, Paul Cook sacked on 19:45 - Dec 4 by BarcaBlue

I think that's a very generous appraisal of his time here. I think you're overlooking a few things, starting with his staff.

I was alluding to his staff when I said McKenna's professionalism is streets ahead.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024