Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... 10:16 - Dec 10 with 2005 viewsnorfsufblue

Really show him how much we value him...
Give him a 5/6/7+ year rolling contract I'd say.
He could take us to another stratosphere if we can just hang on to him.
Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 10:20 - Dec 10 with 1977 viewsKeno

I think we need some 'special clauses'

1, if he moves on he has to take Frimmers to post on that teams message board

what else we got?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 10:25 - Dec 10 with 1947 viewsGuthrum

IMO it's the project, the progress, the working environment, relationships and the team shaped to his ideas which is more likely to keep McKenna at Ipswich than simply money or length of contract.

When he does decide to move on to another job, neither of thiose latter two will make much real difference - especially if it's to an upper Prem outfit, who could easily out-salary us and who mostly chop and change managers less often than some teams lower down (or in the Championship).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 10:28 - Dec 10 with 1921 viewsblueislander

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 10:20 - Dec 10 by Keno

I think we need some 'special clauses'

1, if he moves on he has to take Frimmers to post on that teams message board

what else we got?

Unstable to act as cheerleader for his new club so that he feels appreciated.
Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:07 - Dec 10 with 1772 viewsJackNorthStand

But then it completely muddys the waters if he’s not happy with the terms offered, doesn’t want a 7 year deal etc. can cause unnecessary distraction and agg.

He’s under contract, he’s happy, Ipswich fans are happy and the board are happy. Let’s leave it be and concentrate on the football until the summer.
Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:09 - Dec 10 with 1772 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 10:25 - Dec 10 by Guthrum

IMO it's the project, the progress, the working environment, relationships and the team shaped to his ideas which is more likely to keep McKenna at Ipswich than simply money or length of contract.

When he does decide to move on to another job, neither of thiose latter two will make much real difference - especially if it's to an upper Prem outfit, who could easily out-salary us and who mostly chop and change managers less often than some teams lower down (or in the Championship).

This. I don't know why some people (perhaps the same person) keep calling for a contract extension. He's recently had one. And as you say, the project and opportunity to progress this team seem to be more his thing. There's no evidence that money is an issue for him.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:11 - Dec 10 with 1752 viewsnorfsufblue

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:09 - Dec 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

This. I don't know why some people (perhaps the same person) keep calling for a contract extension. He's recently had one. And as you say, the project and opportunity to progress this team seem to be more his thing. There's no evidence that money is an issue for him.

Yeah its probably me getting hyper nervous... I just never want it to end just as I did back in 1991..sigh
Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:16 - Dec 10 with 1735 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:11 - Dec 10 by norfsufblue

Yeah its probably me getting hyper nervous... I just never want it to end just as I did back in 1991..sigh

Yeah, I understand!

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:16 - Dec 10 with 1736 viewspennblue

I think the bigger question is, will or when will Man Utd come knocking. You could very much see McKenna going back there as manager with Carrick as his number 2 (assuming Carrick would be happy with that setup).

Would McKenna go now if asked? For me, I think the conditions would need to be right for him to be successful there, else he could easily get swallowed up in the current ownership issues. The entire Man Utd team looks like they need a complete clear out. He could probably do with them hitting 'rock bottom' first.

Would Man Utd ask? Well, typically you would expect a Man Utd manager to have won something, possibly a European trophy first. So if history is anything to go by, he would not get that job until he has won something (hopefully with us). But the longer the situation goes on at Man Utd, the less they have to lose in terms of what they might consider to be more of a gamble going for a less experienced manager.

It does feel like McKenna is in the best place right now for his own career, a top ten team in the Premier League might tempt him, but I think he could do a lot worse than build his experience with us first. If we enter the Premier League, we are going to need to go into well prepared, better than Burnley because I doubt any of the coaching staff would want to go into that League without having a competitive squad.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Login to get fewer ads

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:24 - Dec 10 with 1709 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:16 - Dec 10 by pennblue

I think the bigger question is, will or when will Man Utd come knocking. You could very much see McKenna going back there as manager with Carrick as his number 2 (assuming Carrick would be happy with that setup).

Would McKenna go now if asked? For me, I think the conditions would need to be right for him to be successful there, else he could easily get swallowed up in the current ownership issues. The entire Man Utd team looks like they need a complete clear out. He could probably do with them hitting 'rock bottom' first.

Would Man Utd ask? Well, typically you would expect a Man Utd manager to have won something, possibly a European trophy first. So if history is anything to go by, he would not get that job until he has won something (hopefully with us). But the longer the situation goes on at Man Utd, the less they have to lose in terms of what they might consider to be more of a gamble going for a less experienced manager.

It does feel like McKenna is in the best place right now for his own career, a top ten team in the Premier League might tempt him, but I think he could do a lot worse than build his experience with us first. If we enter the Premier League, we are going to need to go into well prepared, better than Burnley because I doubt any of the coaching staff would want to go into that League without having a competitive squad.

If I were running Man U I'd go for McKenna, but fortunately those who are, won't. They'll go for a big foreign name again.

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:35 - Dec 10 with 1640 viewsKeno

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:24 - Dec 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

If I were running Man U I'd go for McKenna, but fortunately those who are, won't. They'll go for a big foreign name again.

That French Arab guy Sam Al-Lardyce

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:35 - Dec 10 with 1636 viewspennblue

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:24 - Dec 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

I think when he does move on, timing will be key for it to be a successful move.

The timing was perfect with us:

- 20 years of pain
- Zero club infrastructure
- 15 years of unsuccessful ownership
- Hit rock bottom in League One
- Previous manager had done the clear out job and had actually recruited well
- New ownership group
- Great new CEO + Chairman

This is an ideal situation to take over in a lot of ways as the bar was on the ground.

To create those conditions again at another club is difficult. He really needs Man Utd to struggle for another 5-10 years before going there, which could be good timing for us too.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:36 - Dec 10 with 1637 viewsElephantintheRoom

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:16 - Dec 10 by pennblue

Perhaps Man U will get Cook in first to get rid of the dead wood and any promising young players and get n the core of a good team

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:47 - Dec 10 with 1597 viewsKeno

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 11:36 - Dec 10 by ElephantintheRoom

Perhaps Man U will get Cook in first to get rid of the dead wood and any promising young players and get n the core of a good team

If only Man U had owners as wonderful as our eh Ellie!!

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 12:05 - Dec 10 with 1565 viewsRadlett_blue

Just because McKenna spent 5 years at Man U in various coaching roles doesn't make him much likelier to be on their short list, should they fire The Hag. They are a big club & as you say, Man U will be looking for someone with experience of winning top European leagues & trophies. if McKenna is tempted, it's more likely to be a reasonably stable mid ranking PL club such as Brentford & Brighton in the summer, rather than take on a fire-fighting role at Palace or Forest. He will undoubtedly be put in the frame by the media for every job that comes up, such as (laughably) Sunderland, but I think he'll certainly see out the season unless he gets offered a plum job.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 12:17 - Dec 10 with 1532 viewsBlibbiBlob1976

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 12:05 - Dec 10 by Radlett_blue

Just because McKenna spent 5 years at Man U in various coaching roles doesn't make him much likelier to be on their short list, should they fire The Hag. They are a big club & as you say, Man U will be looking for someone with experience of winning top European leagues & trophies. if McKenna is tempted, it's more likely to be a reasonably stable mid ranking PL club such as Brentford & Brighton in the summer, rather than take on a fire-fighting role at Palace or Forest. He will undoubtedly be put in the frame by the media for every job that comes up, such as (laughably) Sunderland, but I think he'll certainly see out the season unless he gets offered a plum job.

I tithing McKenna is probably the real deal and will be a really top manager. As such, I can’t see him going for a Brighton style job, which would really be much more of a sideways move, well, perhaps diagonally upwards. He would be better served to stay here, establish us in the Prem, which I think he will have the budget to do, and then move into a top 5 Prem job. That’s what I’d do anyway!!
Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 12:56 - Dec 10 with 1471 viewsBigCommon

There is absolutely no need to improve his contract, atm... You'd bet there to be some healthy bonuses in his new contract.. Points totals at various stages of the season, play off's, automatic promotion, etc...
If he wants to leave one day. There's nothing we can do about it...
What we have to do as a club, is continue supporting him, give him the tools he needs. Grow the club in terms of revenue streams to cope with FFP. In order to keep up with KM's trajectory..
He knows "how" to win games.. We need to make sure he has the right tools to implement that know how... Big window, for me, this next one. Doesn't have to be multiple signings. But giving him some extra quality to play with, I think, would float his boat, moreso, than an extra few quid a week in his wages. At this moment in time.
Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 13:00 - Dec 10 with 1454 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 12:17 - Dec 10 by BlibbiBlob1976

I tithing McKenna is probably the real deal and will be a really top manager. As such, I can’t see him going for a Brighton style job, which would really be much more of a sideways move, well, perhaps diagonally upwards. He would be better served to stay here, establish us in the Prem, which I think he will have the budget to do, and then move into a top 5 Prem job. That’s what I’d do anyway!!

He'll be in a top 5 job by then... still here

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 13:01 - Dec 10 with 1454 viewshomer_123

I've said before...whilst his contract and wage will be important.

The single biggest thing the Club can do to keep him as long as possible is to continue to invest in what he wants both on and off the pitch.

Upgrades to training facilities, rehabilitation, data and analytics, staff, playing staff etc etc

If he feels we are fully supportive of him and his approach, he'll likely stay longer than if we bump up his wages.

Bear in mind we cannot compete wage wise with many in the Prem. But we can provide an environment where he can thrive.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 13:13 - Dec 10 with 1400 viewsOldFart71

As an up and coming manager like McKenna how do you decide when and with whom you move to ? If Town got promotion to the Prem in my humble opinion there wouldn't be many clubs that would enhance Kieran's reputation. Obviously Kieran's old club, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man City and maybe West Ham. But many of those already have established managers. Taking over a struggling team may not be his best option. Of course McKenna is ambitious. Hopefully a large amount of his ambition can be attained at Town.
Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 13:21 - Dec 10 with 1362 viewsIllinoisblue

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 13:01 - Dec 10 by homer_123

The single biggest thing the Club can do to keep him as long as possible is to continue to invest in what he wants both on and off the pitch.

Upgrades to training facilities, rehabilitation, data and analytics, staff, playing staff etc etc

If he feels we are fully supportive of him and his approach, he'll likely stay longer than if we bump up his wages.

Bear in mind we cannot compete wage wise with many in the Prem. But we can provide an environment where he can thrive.

This. He literally has the opportunity to build an entire club here. A priceless situation for such a bright young manager.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 13:25 - Dec 10 with 1351 viewsnorfsufblue

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 13:21 - Dec 10 by Illinoisblue

This. He literally has the opportunity to build an entire club here. A priceless situation for such a bright young manager.

Let's hope he develops a similar attitude to Sir Bob.... Newcastle was always his club but Ipswich was his baby!
Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 13:50 - Dec 10 with 1286 viewsdirtyboy

ETH goes, DZ goes there, McKenna goes to Brighton.

If that happened, I think we'd promote from within.
Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 15:57 - Dec 10 with 1132 viewsFelixBlue4

It’s been a longtime since the days of Premier managers being at clubs for decades maybe just maybe our manager could be the next Fergie or Venger but for us right here
Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 16:02 - Dec 10 with 1117 viewsKropotkin123

I assume he is exceeding MA's expectations for the season. So I assume he'll get a raise at the end of the season, if he continues. I doubt either one of them will want the distraction until then.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 16:08 - Dec 10 with 1093 viewsmarchy

Still think we should improve KMs contract further now... on 13:01 - Dec 10 by homer_123

Exactly. We also have the added advantage that he seems to be extremely intelligent and perceptive. He'll hopefully be aware he potentially has 30 years of management ahead of him, probably including at the very highest level, and that there's no need to rush and grab the first ejector seat that comes his way.

59% win record here, and he's universally loved. Meanwhile, in a shorter spell at United, Ten Hag has a 61% win record including silverware, and is being held up as an abject failure. Why anyone thinks McK would want any piece of that for a year at this stage of his career is pretty weird.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024