Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. 10:48 - Dec 22 with 2941 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Does anyone find it a bit weird that these sites are chucking about this £3million figure to entice clicks? The reason I say this, is £3million is hardly a significant amount of money in the Championship these days. Maybe two players? Or one really significant signing? It's not like that figure would drastically improve our team, it seems like a figure from about 15 years ago the press would use for clicks.

Not that I am arguing we should be spending more, I think we have spent wisely and got some real bargains for what we have paid over the last couple of years, just that I find it weird these sites using that number and how overly excited some of the social media supporters are getting over it, it seems a pretty standard amount of money to be looking at spending and comparable to what we spent in the summer, and that is exactly the sort of money we should be spending, if any at all.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2023 10:49]
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 10:50 - Dec 22 with 2907 viewsSheffordBlue

Phil and EATD both saying we have more available for the 'right' player. The £3m/15k per week story came from Alan Nixon and I suspect his source was an agent where we might have floated those figures for a deal.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2023 10:50]

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 10:54 - Dec 22 with 2869 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 10:50 - Dec 22 by SheffordBlue

Phil and EATD both saying we have more available for the 'right' player. The £3m/15k per week story came from Alan Nixon and I suspect his source was an agent where we might have floated those figures for a deal.

Obviously if we're targeting players of similar calibre to those we were linked with in the summer such Armstrong and Sims those sorts of players would cost us upwards of £5-6million.

Jay Stansfield would cost upwards of a million quid and he'd be one for the future too, so definitely someone you'd expect us to be interested in.
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 10:57 - Dec 22 with 2852 viewsSheffordBlue

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 10:54 - Dec 22 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

Obviously if we're targeting players of similar calibre to those we were linked with in the summer such Armstrong and Sims those sorts of players would cost us upwards of £5-6million.

Jay Stansfield would cost upwards of a million quid and he'd be one for the future too, so definitely someone you'd expect us to be interested in.

With the deal values there also tends to be a difference between the initial up front fee and the overall package. A £3m up front fee could easily rise to £7-8m overall with top ups.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 11:00 - Dec 22 with 2832 viewsPinewoodblue

Meanwhile at least one of Leicester, Leeds & Southampton, if not all three, will spend at least £10m

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 11:05 - Dec 22 with 2783 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 11:00 - Dec 22 by Pinewoodblue

Meanwhile at least one of Leicester, Leeds & Southampton, if not all three, will spend at least £10m

We can't compete with parachute clubs in the transfer markets, but its worth noting Coventry spent in the region of £20-25million in the summer and look worse for it!
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 11:09 - Dec 22 with 2767 viewsHelp

Someone started the rumour and then others pick up on it and boom explosion of fiction. Unless the club states for some unknown reason what our budget is it is just conjecture.

It is like Christmas as a kid wait to see what you get and trust those that know more than us to get it right. Yes some parents are sh1te at this sort of thing (Marcus). Others (Mark) are better parents.
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 11:21 - Dec 22 with 2688 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 11:05 - Dec 22 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

We can't compete with parachute clubs in the transfer markets, but its worth noting Coventry spent in the region of £20-25million in the summer and look worse for it!

And over £17m spent by Stoke. It just shows the added multiplier of having a settled team who are used to playing with each other. The likes of Stoke with their scattergun approach to transfers are left doing a Paul ‘we need 7 years to gel’ Cook. See also Forest in the prem last year - £200m spent and virtually a whole team rebuilt to bob around above the relegation zone.
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 11:30 - Dec 22 with 2636 viewsJon_456

As well as signing a striker, I wonder if we’ll be back in for rak-sakyi on loan. Palace now have players back from injury and he didn’t make the bench last night.

Would be a decent option off the right wing if Jackson were to move on.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2023 13:08]
Login to get fewer ads

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 11:47 - Dec 22 with 2547 viewsWestSussexBlue

It means nothing unless the right manager and coaching team are able to get the very best out of their players. We currently have arguably the squad that is assembled for far less than those Three and look where we are.
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 12:03 - Dec 22 with 2469 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 11:30 - Dec 22 by Jon_456

As well as signing a striker, I wonder if we’ll be back in for rak-sakyi on loan. Palace now have players back from injury and he didn’t make the bench last night.

Would be a decent option off the right wing if Jackson were to move on.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2023 13:08]

Was good in League One, bot sure he'd be the right fit for the Championship just yet. We already have Scarlett on loan who looks like he could use another season in L1 tbh.
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 12:35 - Dec 22 with 2349 viewsTrumptonBlue

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 10:54 - Dec 22 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

With two good loans behind him and a four-year contract at Fulham, I would expect Stansfield to cost about £5 million.
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 12:50 - Dec 22 with 2274 viewsJon_456

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 12:03 - Dec 22 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

Was good in League One, bot sure he'd be the right fit for the Championship just yet. We already have Scarlett on loan who looks like he could use another season in L1 tbh.

I would say he excelled in league one and was deemed good enough to be in a premier league squad at the start of the season, albeit as cover. I think he would make more of an impact than Scarlett has so far.
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 13:28 - Dec 22 with 2077 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 10:50 - Dec 22 by SheffordBlue

I am sure agents or clubs receiving offers do leak figures but it is also quite plausible that some journalists pluck what they consider to be a ballpark figure from the air and run with it to add authority to their story.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the numbers in the media, just to who we announce as actual signings. There will always be those who question why we spent so much on someone and others who will argue we should have pushed the boat and paid more for someone else. Ultimately what goes on to get a transfer over the line is bound to be far more complex than any of us realise.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 13:30 - Dec 22 with 2064 viewsStokieBlue

"Jay Stansfield would cost upwards of a million quid and he'd be one for the future too, so definitely someone you'd expect us to be interested in."

Far too little money and he would be an immediate player, not one for the future.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 15:09 - Dec 22 with 1814 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 12:50 - Dec 22 by Jon_456

I would say he excelled in league one and was deemed good enough to be in a premier league squad at the start of the season, albeit as cover. I think he would make more of an impact than Scarlett has so far.

no chance. He was Palace's player of the month in November.

Poll: would you rather

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 15:18 - Dec 22 with 1769 viewsBluroo

Leicester, Leeds or Southampton could just as easily end up weaker by the end of the January window, should they receive an offer they can't refuse for Dewsbury-Hall, Summervile or Armstrong for instance. Doesn't matter how much money they've got burning a hole in their pockets, its not easy to attract a player to the Championship who is immediately as good/important for them.

Same applies to us but I have a feeling our top players such as LD are wedded to the journey, at least for now...
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 15:28 - Dec 22 with 1733 viewsOldFart71

Most of our recent signings haven't been talked about until last minute. Even moles within the PR fortress are obliged to turn a blind eye. Whilst we are in the main singing from the same hymn sheet with regards to a back up striker for Hirst the person we get may not be a direct model of Hirst and where does that leave Freddie. Can't see us having three for that position so does he move on ? We obviously need to tighten up at the back, but how much is it down to our style of play and how much is down to one or two not being good enough. We certainly wouldn't be able to allow the goals we concede against Premier League clubs and whilst it may not be necessary this season it's obvious the ultimate aim is the Prem and if we are building for that we wouldn't be getting in a stop gap.
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 16:38 - Dec 22 with 1587 viewstractordownsouth

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 10:57 - Dec 22 by SheffordBlue

With the deal values there also tends to be a difference between the initial up front fee and the overall package. A £3m up front fee could easily rise to £7-8m overall with top ups.

Yep, think Simms was £3.5m rising to £8m. If we go for Stansfield, I imagine the price and structure wouldn't be too dissimilar.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 16:52 - Dec 22 with 1548 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Until Frank and his mole confirm it, it is just media speculation.
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 17:05 - Dec 22 with 1510 viewscressi

Nobody except a small circle no what we are going to spend or who's is coming in or going out just speculation that's all the journos
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 17:36 - Dec 22 with 1447 viewsJon_456

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 15:09 - Dec 22 by LegendofthePhoenix

I didn’t know that and rather surprised considering he only played 64, 29 and 30 minutes across the month.

Also just seen he’s been injured since then which obviously explains his exclusion from the squad last night.
This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 18:18 - Dec 22 with 1370 viewstractordownsouth

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 15:09 - Dec 22 by LegendofthePhoenix

According to whoscored he didn't play any league minutes in November.

He'll get a Championship loan but I don't think it will be here - right wing isn't a priority position.

Edit: Scratch that, he probably won't get loaned out because he has a hamstring injury!
[Post edited 22 Dec 2023 18:31]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

This £3million we're allegedly spending.. on 07:45 - Dec 23 with 1017 viewsElephantintheRoom

And all three will have new managers this time next year.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024