Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Overweight 10:27 - Jan 22 with 4110 viewsblueislander

I thought that the Yanks were collectively the most overweight nation from what I saw in Orlando a few years ago, but I am currently on a British cruise , and there a considerable number of very obese people on the ship. I realise that some may have genuine medical issues, but the way many them attack the buffets is a sight to behold.
Overweight on 14:56 - Jan 22 with 919 viewsDanTheMan

Overweight on 14:46 - Jan 22 by BloomBlue

The 'attack the buffet' has been an English disease for as long as I can remember.
The buffet is included in the price and all English people want their fully money worth, so they attack it and pile it up even if they know they will never eat it all.

My mum would take those little ziplock plastic bags to breakfast buffets and fill them up so she didn't have to spend money on lunch.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Overweight on 15:03 - Jan 22 with 887 viewsJ2BLUE

Overweight on 14:56 - Jan 22 by DanTheMan

My mum would take those little ziplock plastic bags to breakfast buffets and fill them up so she didn't have to spend money on lunch.

My nan did that...always take something for 'supper'.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Overweight on 15:06 - Jan 22 with 875 viewsitfcjoe

Overweight on 14:38 - Jan 22 by DanTheMan

Cooking well and making it taste nice is an art form and a difficult one. I don't think cooking healthily and cheaply is very easy, and I would imagine that gets even more difficult once you bring children into the mix. I say this as someone who has had to teach themselves to cook well as I was never taught.

It's also just not something everyone enjoys, which makes things even harder if you're on little money and have had a long day, the prospect of coming home and then have to spend another 30-60 minutes cooking something and then cleaning it all up that you don't enjoy.

Not only that, you're probably going to have to spend time planning so you don't waste anything. One advantage to ready meals is that there is (usually) no waste with them.

I do get where you're coming from, there is obviously a level of personal responsibility here. Nobody is being force-fed ready meals. At the same time though, our society is almost set up to entice people onto these bad options. We almost made a start on it with the sugar and salt tax but that got vetoed, also due to the personal responsibility argument.

Whilst we can talk about personal responsibility, food in it's ultra processed form is designed to be addictive, designed in a way that your body doesn't realise you are full until it's too late, and everything is working against you.

Dr Chris vT makes a great point in one of his podcasts (maybe the Krishnan Guru Murphy one) that we talk about not wanting to live in a Nanny State, but we already do - the difference is that the Nanny State is being run by the global food corporations as opposed to being run by our own Govt.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Overweight on 15:08 - Jan 22 with 861 viewsDanTheMan

Overweight on 15:06 - Jan 22 by itfcjoe

Whilst we can talk about personal responsibility, food in it's ultra processed form is designed to be addictive, designed in a way that your body doesn't realise you are full until it's too late, and everything is working against you.

Dr Chris vT makes a great point in one of his podcasts (maybe the Krishnan Guru Murphy one) that we talk about not wanting to live in a Nanny State, but we already do - the difference is that the Nanny State is being run by the global food corporations as opposed to being run by our own Govt.

That's where I tend to fall on things, these foods are designed to be as almost addictive as possible (whether on purpose or not). I'd rather we lived in a nanny state that nudged us in the right direction instead of the current state of play where people get overweight and then get medical complications from that which we all have to pay for.

Overweight on 15:16 - Jan 22 with 813 viewsfactual_blue

Overweight on 10:40 - Jan 22 by Clutch

Well you sound like a massive prick.

Whereas you, on the other hand....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Overweight on 15:20 - Jan 22 with 793 viewsBiGDonnie

Overweight on 15:16 - Jan 22 by factual_blue

Whereas you, on the other hand....

... sound obese?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Overweight on 15:23 - Jan 22 with 782 viewsReus30

Overweight on 15:06 - Jan 22 by itfcjoe

Boom, finally a point that I 100% agree with but the thing that gets me is there has never been more information or research available on food yet governments/supermarkets whoever continue to pedal stuff that's just unhealthy for us.

I have been dieting for decades - I have been fat and have also been lean with a low BF %. Right now, I am overweight by a large margin but it's not mental, it's not trauma or laziness, it's a 100% chemical and it's addiction which really tests willpower.

The decision making of which food is good and which is bad and portion size and exercise is just simply a piece of piss but as humans we crave that dopamine hit. The hit when you tuck into a KFC or a packet of crisps or whatever, for one moment, it tastes amazing.... and then you can't stop and then 10 minutes later you are in tears, wishing for the ground to consume you.

It's my only vice (don't drink, smoke, sniff, snort, tug, gamble) but I really wish I didn't have it - I know my brain is frazzled because of it. Its not even 3:30 and I am shaking with cravings now, I literally only ate my lunch 2 hours ago.
Overweight on 15:26 - Jan 22 with 765 viewsDanTheMan

Overweight on 15:23 - Jan 22 by Reus30

Boom, finally a point that I 100% agree with but the thing that gets me is there has never been more information or research available on food yet governments/supermarkets whoever continue to pedal stuff that's just unhealthy for us.

I have been dieting for decades - I have been fat and have also been lean with a low BF %. Right now, I am overweight by a large margin but it's not mental, it's not trauma or laziness, it's a 100% chemical and it's addiction which really tests willpower.

The decision making of which food is good and which is bad and portion size and exercise is just simply a piece of piss but as humans we crave that dopamine hit. The hit when you tuck into a KFC or a packet of crisps or whatever, for one moment, it tastes amazing.... and then you can't stop and then 10 minutes later you are in tears, wishing for the ground to consume you.

It's my only vice (don't drink, smoke, sniff, snort, tug, gamble) but I really wish I didn't have it - I know my brain is frazzled because of it. Its not even 3:30 and I am shaking with cravings now, I literally only ate my lunch 2 hours ago.

" The decision making of which food is good and which is bad and portion size and exercise is just simply a piece of piss but as humans we crave that dopamine hit. The hit when you tuck into a KFC or a packet of crisps or whatever, for one moment, it tastes amazing.... and then you can't stop and then 10 minutes later you are in tears, wishing for the ground to consume you."

This sounds like an unhealthy relationship with food. Not quite approaching binge eating, but close. Have you sought professional help before?

I'm sorry you struggle with it btw, I can't imagine how tough it is.

Login to get fewer ads

Overweight on 15:40 - Jan 22 with 735 viewsReus30

Overweight on 15:26 - Jan 22 by DanTheMan

" The decision making of which food is good and which is bad and portion size and exercise is just simply a piece of piss but as humans we crave that dopamine hit. The hit when you tuck into a KFC or a packet of crisps or whatever, for one moment, it tastes amazing.... and then you can't stop and then 10 minutes later you are in tears, wishing for the ground to consume you."

This sounds like an unhealthy relationship with food. Not quite approaching binge eating, but close. Have you sought professional help before?

I'm sorry you struggle with it btw, I can't imagine how tough it is.

Thank you, that's really nice, appreciate that.

Oh its definitely an unhealthy relationship whether it be some form of pick me up but it's just something that needs managing now. A choice was made to stuff my face and be glutenous and now I (like many others) have to deal with the consequences of that and resist these cravings or whatever they may be and eat like a healthy human being.

Tried everything, hypno, counselling, self help books - some good bits to take away but just need to power through and what will be will be. We all want to live a long, healthy and happy life at the end of the day. I'll get there, don't worry.
[Post edited 22 Jan 15:41]
Overweight on 15:43 - Jan 22 with 722 viewsronnyd

Overweight on 12:29 - Jan 22 by JackNorthStand

Me and my wife were on holiday recently and noticed overall how unhealthy British tourists looked compared to the French, German, Italian and Russians.

Not so sure about that. Used to go to a hotel in Salou that ended up being overrun by miserable Russians and the amount that the younger ones left on their plates was a sight to behold. Mind you, not many were overweight so why put so much on your plate if you're not going to eat it?
Overweight on 15:46 - Jan 22 with 703 viewshype313

Overweight on 15:40 - Jan 22 by Reus30

Oh its definitely an unhealthy relationship whether it be some form of pick me up but it's just something that needs managing now. A choice was made to stuff my face and be glutenous and now I (like many others) have to deal with the consequences of that and resist these cravings or whatever they may be and eat like a healthy human being.

Tried everything, hypno, counselling, self help books - some good bits to take away but just need to power through and what will be will be. We all want to live a long, healthy and happy life at the end of the day. I'll get there, don't worry.

Maybe try small steps like not snacking in between meals, that can really help, especially knocking Crisps on the head, they are just pure oil and offer nothing, believe me, I used to have 2 packets a day and don't touch them anymore.

Sometimes a big overhaul going cold turkey isn't the best idea.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Overweight on 15:48 - Jan 22 with 697 viewsDanTheMan

Overweight on 15:46 - Jan 22 by hype313

Maybe try small steps like not snacking in between meals, that can really help, especially knocking Crisps on the head, they are just pure oil and offer nothing, believe me, I used to have 2 packets a day and don't touch them anymore.

Sometimes a big overhaul going cold turkey isn't the best idea.

I've moved on to those rice cakes now. About as filling without being anywhere near as terrible for you.

That or stuff like carrot sticks, which I thankfully like the taste of.

Overweight on 16:08 - Jan 22 with 661 viewsJ2BLUE

Overweight on 15:40 - Jan 22 by Reus30

Can't vouch for it personally but these have had good reviews:

https://killavanilla.com/

I am also overweight. I lost a good chunk last year and really changed how I ate. I ate a lot of whole food plants. Then I basically had December off and am now struggling to get back into it. Unfortunately I do have an all or nothing mentality so once I throw in the towel it's a free for all until 'tomorrow'.

I think i'm slowly resetting and getting my head straight again but it's been a battle. As you say we want that dopamine hit. That feeling for a couple of hours sitting in front of the tv with a big bag of junk food where the world seems right. Then the mental crash kicks in and you think ffs I just paid £20 to derail myself again.

Dr McDougall's starch solution works for me. Might not be for everyone but it works for me. I don't do it religiously but my meals are mainly 'starch based'. I eat a ton of potatoes along with beans, lentils, chickpeas, grains, fruits, veg etc etc.

Paul McKenna's anxiety audiobook may have really helped me recently. I say may as I have no evidence to prove it was that or whether I just moved past a bad phase but I am probably going to get his weight loss audiobook just in case.

If anyone wants to see the power of processed junk and the industry thinking behind it (basically layer sugar on fat on salt with as many layers as possible) then I recommend The End of Overeating by David Kessler.

I still maintain there is a serious mental health aspect as well for anyone who is significantly overweight. The doctor from my 600 pound life actually tells patients they will eventually stop losing weight and need therapy to get past their issues to continue.

Truly impaired.

Overweight on 16:14 - Jan 22 with 633 viewsDanTheMan

Overweight on 16:08 - Jan 22 by J2BLUE

Can't vouch for it personally but these have had good reviews:

https://killavanilla.com/

I am also overweight. I lost a good chunk last year and really changed how I ate. I ate a lot of whole food plants. Then I basically had December off and am now struggling to get back into it. Unfortunately I do have an all or nothing mentality so once I throw in the towel it's a free for all until 'tomorrow'.

I think i'm slowly resetting and getting my head straight again but it's been a battle. As you say we want that dopamine hit. That feeling for a couple of hours sitting in front of the tv with a big bag of junk food where the world seems right. Then the mental crash kicks in and you think ffs I just paid £20 to derail myself again.

Dr McDougall's starch solution works for me. Might not be for everyone but it works for me. I don't do it religiously but my meals are mainly 'starch based'. I eat a ton of potatoes along with beans, lentils, chickpeas, grains, fruits, veg etc etc.

Paul McKenna's anxiety audiobook may have really helped me recently. I say may as I have no evidence to prove it was that or whether I just moved past a bad phase but I am probably going to get his weight loss audiobook just in case.

If anyone wants to see the power of processed junk and the industry thinking behind it (basically layer sugar on fat on salt with as many layers as possible) then I recommend The End of Overeating by David Kessler.

I still maintain there is a serious mental health aspect as well for anyone who is significantly overweight. The doctor from my 600 pound life actually tells patients they will eventually stop losing weight and need therapy to get past their issues to continue.

Just going to tack on the end here, there is professional help available for anyone who is struggling.

https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/feelings-symptoms-behaviours/behaviours/eating-

There are charities and help available from the NHS. You don't have to do it alone.

Overweight on 16:18 - Jan 22 with 614 viewsJ2BLUE

Overweight on 16:14 - Jan 22 by DanTheMan

Just going to tack on the end here, there is professional help available for anyone who is struggling.

https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/feelings-symptoms-behaviours/behaviours/eating-

There are charities and help available from the NHS. You don't have to do it alone.

Cheers Dan. Nice for someone to actually engage. Hasn't always been the case on here.

I think i'm mostly ok now and will soon be flying again but I probably should have gone for therapy 20 years ago rather than wasting the best part of my life but never mind. Can't go back.

Truly impaired.

Overweight on 16:23 - Jan 22 with 598 viewshype313

Overweight on 15:48 - Jan 22 by DanTheMan

I've moved on to those rice cakes now. About as filling without being anywhere near as terrible for you.

That or stuff like carrot sticks, which I thankfully like the taste of.

Yep, those rice cakes are an excellent replacement, however, I'm really trying to stop eating between meals, it's been my nemesis, nipping to the fridge every so often to have a nibble, grabbing a bag of crisps here and there, it's just empty calories that soon add up.

Easier said than done mind!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Overweight on 16:35 - Jan 22 with 569 viewsbadadski

Overweight on 13:20 - Jan 22 by lowhouseblue

i don't disagree with that at all in individual cases - and it is a very good reason not to be judgemental. but it doesn't explain the really marked population wide changes over time. at a population level obesity in the uk has doubled over a couple of decades. i find the archive photos that the east anglian publishes interesting - as a population we looked different in the 70s and 80s.

Healthy food becomes more and more expensive and fast food remains cheap. You can get a Big Mac meal with a drink on a special day cheaper than a slimming world micro dinner.

As soon as this country/retailers stop trying to profiteer from being healthy the better we will all become. Gyms are expensive, healthy food is expensive and not something that stores generally well as is usually fresh and has to be consumed within a few days.

When people have a viscious cycle of work, work work, crap weather, little time for them selves, not a lot of money it creates the world we live in which is, far easier and cheaper to store a load of high processed crappy fat food than to enjoy a healthy balanced diet. The more crap you eat the less motivated you want to excercise - rinse and repeat a few decades and it’s where we are now.
Overweight on 16:40 - Jan 22 with 544 viewsbazza

Overweight on 11:55 - Jan 22 by Pinewoodblue

Tend to steer clear of Buffet on a cruise ship. The amount of food that some leave on the plate is disgusting.

You eat what’s left on the plates?
Overweight on 16:44 - Jan 22 with 539 viewslowhouseblue

Overweight on 16:35 - Jan 22 by badadski

Healthy food becomes more and more expensive and fast food remains cheap. You can get a Big Mac meal with a drink on a special day cheaper than a slimming world micro dinner.

As soon as this country/retailers stop trying to profiteer from being healthy the better we will all become. Gyms are expensive, healthy food is expensive and not something that stores generally well as is usually fresh and has to be consumed within a few days.

When people have a viscious cycle of work, work work, crap weather, little time for them selves, not a lot of money it creates the world we live in which is, far easier and cheaper to store a load of high processed crappy fat food than to enjoy a healthy balanced diet. The more crap you eat the less motivated you want to excercise - rinse and repeat a few decades and it’s where we are now.

healthy food isn't expensive if you cook from scratch. cheap processed food is doubtless worse for you than expensive processed food, but in terms of cost and health the problem is buying mainly processed meals.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Overweight on 17:05 - Jan 22 with 500 viewsPinewoodblue

Overweight on 13:07 - Jan 22 by blueislander

The food is spectacular and caters for all tastes. Even just using the buffet you can eat healthily, but there are also top notch restaurants. The Indian one is particularly good.

I struggle, on Princess Cruises, with the 15 alcoholic drinks target that comes as part of a package.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Overweight on 17:25 - Jan 22 with 475 viewsbadadski

Overweight on 16:44 - Jan 22 by lowhouseblue

healthy food isn't expensive if you cook from scratch. cheap processed food is doubtless worse for you than expensive processed food, but in terms of cost and health the problem is buying mainly processed meals.

Literally it is though -I tested cooking from scratch for a month and spent double what I would normally trying to stick some semblance of slimming world diet.

Fresh meet - ie chicken thigh breast was actually more expensive than chicken breast- low fat mince more expensive then full fat - turkey mince priciest it has ever been - vegetables including courgettes, aubergines etc pricey as anything - generally a good healthy meal for 4 with a variety of vegetable and ingredients was around £10 a meal. Crap lasagna for 4 is about £4.

Meal replacement drinks and bars are now around double the price of pre lock down - keto diet for about a week will set up back £50 ish per person - a good quality version will be about £75 a week as I was paying it but it’s not sustainable.
Overweight on 17:48 - Jan 22 with 422 viewsGlasgowBlue

Overweight on 17:05 - Jan 22 by Pinewoodblue

I struggle, on Princess Cruises, with the 15 alcoholic drinks target that comes as part of a package.

We were on the Sky Princess last year. So many different restaurant choices. Would definitely recommend Princess aCruises.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Overweight on 17:49 - Jan 22 with 418 viewschicoazul

Imagine eating from the buffet on a cruise ship. Norovirus central.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Overweight on 17:54 - Jan 22 with 404 viewsblueislander

Overweight on 17:48 - Jan 22 by GlasgowBlue

We were on the Sky Princess last year. So many different restaurant choices. Would definitely recommend Princess aCruises.

This one is P&O , but , as I said the food is outstanding. Unfortunately they are showing Brighton v Wolves in the Sports Bar, so Town TV commentary for me.
Overweight on 18:30 - Jan 22 with 366 viewsPinewoodblue

Overweight on 17:48 - Jan 22 by GlasgowBlue

Sky Princess is going to feel like a second home this year Onboard for 14, 19 & 26 days

Tried one of the older ships last year, Island Princess to Ireland, Iceland & Greenland amazing.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024