Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else think 07:59 - Feb 15 with 3577 viewstextbackup

That if we’d played anyone BUT a really poor Millwall team, that we are 1-0 down early doors lastnight? They seemed to have the ‘lions’ share of the first 15mins, with a fair few attacks.

The lack of anything from them after that made lastnight feel like a pre season friendly in the end.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Anyone else think on 08:06 - Feb 15 with 2685 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Not sure I’ve seen heads drop like theirs did once we’d scored. It was almost embarrassing how we targeted their left back and just ran rings around him.

But yes if they’d scored after 10 mins would probably have been different as the crowd would have got behind them.
Anyone else think on 08:06 - Feb 15 with 2682 viewsBbmaj

We have gone 1-0 down to poor teams before!

Having Burgess back made a difference later, but first 10-15 wasn’t all calm and easy. Glad we had Moore to help deal with Cooper, who can be a real menace from set plays.

I was more pleased by the 0 than the 4, we could do with a run of clean sheets.
Anyone else think on 08:11 - Feb 15 with 2627 viewstextbackup

Anyone else think on 08:06 - Feb 15 by Bbmaj

We have gone 1-0 down to poor teams before!

Having Burgess back made a difference later, but first 10-15 wasn’t all calm and easy. Glad we had Moore to help deal with Cooper, who can be a real menace from set plays.

I was more pleased by the 0 than the 4, we could do with a run of clean sheets.

I know we have, but if a bad habit to get into isn’t it

Anyone else think on 08:23 - Feb 15 with 2545 viewsHerbivore

Millwall started fast and scored early versus Coventry at the weekend. They won some corners and freekicks and hit a couple of tame shots from distance, not really a massive worry.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Anyone else think on 08:25 - Feb 15 with 2513 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Glad we've got you to step into the negative hot-take realm now Frimmers has gone!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Anyone else think on 08:26 - Feb 15 with 2501 viewstextbackup

Anyone else think on 08:25 - Feb 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

Glad we've got you to step into the negative hot-take realm now Frimmers has gone!

Glad I can help fill that void.

Look forward to reading your take on the game

Anyone else think on 08:29 - Feb 15 with 2446 viewstextbackup

Anyone else think on 08:23 - Feb 15 by Herbivore

Millwall started fast and scored early versus Coventry at the weekend. They won some corners and freekicks and hit a couple of tame shots from distance, not really a massive worry.

Correct, vs Millwall it wasn’t a massive worry.

Kind of my point which I think you’ve missed. Against anyone with a bit about them and I think lastnight goes very differently due to our (again) slow start.

Not sure that’s a terribly negative way of looking at lastnight, because a 4-0 win is great however it’s dressed up.

Anyone else think on 08:30 - Feb 15 with 2434 viewsN2_Blue

Anyone else think on 08:25 - Feb 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

He’s gone from being one of the forums most optimistic passionate fans and being quite an entertaining poster to a negative whinge bag whilst also posting some very dubious non football posts and opinions.

It’s a bit sad really and genuinely hope all is well with them because it’s quite a noticeable change over the years.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else think on 08:37 - Feb 15 with 2385 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anyone else think on 08:26 - Feb 15 by textbackup

Glad I can help fill that void.

Look forward to reading your take on the game

I was delighted with it. I've posted a few bits here and there, feel free to go to my history. Clarke, Hutchinson and Broady were superb for me, but everyone was great.

Yeah Millwall looked lively first 15 mins. I wonder if their manager instructed them to go at us hard and fast ASAP, get a few shots away, as we have conceded early a fair bit and it might put us on the back foot.

Could've worked, but didn't. They were saves from distance you'd expect Hladky to make really.

I don't really get your "if we'd played anyone but Millwall we'd be 1-0 down" line. If we'd played anyone but Millwall it'd be a totally different game, we might've even picked a different line-up to combat whatever your mystery team's threat was.

Just seems an odd thing to post after a 0-4 win. Games last longer than 15 mins and over the 90 we were far better than them without bothering to get out of second gear in the second half.

Anyone else think on 08:37 - Feb 15 with 2380 viewstextbackup

Anyone else think on 08:30 - Feb 15 by N2_Blue

He’s gone from being one of the forums most optimistic passionate fans and being quite an entertaining poster to a negative whinge bag whilst also posting some very dubious non football posts and opinions.

It’s a bit sad really and genuinely hope all is well with them because it’s quite a noticeable change over the years.

😂😂😂

So because I’m happy to point out a couple of bits that I think weren’t perfect whilst wearing blue tinted glasses, I’ve now dropped off a cliff.

What’s not to be optimistic about? We are 4th in the championship, and had an amazing 18 months, long may it continue.

Do I think we’ll finish 2nd, nope, but is that really negative of me considering who we are battling against to get there, I don’t think so personally.

And please don’t refer to me as ‘them’… it’s he or she, only two acceptable terms. I’m a he/him.

Anyone else think on 08:40 - Feb 15 with 2336 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anyone else think on 08:37 - Feb 15 by textbackup

😂😂😂

So because I’m happy to point out a couple of bits that I think weren’t perfect whilst wearing blue tinted glasses, I’ve now dropped off a cliff.

What’s not to be optimistic about? We are 4th in the championship, and had an amazing 18 months, long may it continue.

Do I think we’ll finish 2nd, nope, but is that really negative of me considering who we are battling against to get there, I don’t think so personally.

And please don’t refer to me as ‘them’… it’s he or she, only two acceptable terms. I’m a he/him.

You ok hun? x

Anyone else think on 08:41 - Feb 15 with 2331 viewstextbackup

Anyone else think on 08:37 - Feb 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

I was delighted with it. I've posted a few bits here and there, feel free to go to my history. Clarke, Hutchinson and Broady were superb for me, but everyone was great.

Yeah Millwall looked lively first 15 mins. I wonder if their manager instructed them to go at us hard and fast ASAP, get a few shots away, as we have conceded early a fair bit and it might put us on the back foot.

Could've worked, but didn't. They were saves from distance you'd expect Hladky to make really.

I don't really get your "if we'd played anyone but Millwall we'd be 1-0 down" line. If we'd played anyone but Millwall it'd be a totally different game, we might've even picked a different line-up to combat whatever your mystery team's threat was.

Just seems an odd thing to post after a 0-4 win. Games last longer than 15 mins and over the 90 we were far better than them without bothering to get out of second gear in the second half.

Is it an odd thing to post, considering since norwich at home we’ve not scored the first goal, and found ourselves going behind… resulting in a string of indifferent results?

You are correct, and I think maybe the fact millwall gave absolutely nothing in the second half made the 4-0 win actually feel a bit of a dull game. (Dull but we were in total control and I’m delighted at that) I’m sure you know what I mean

Anyone else think on 08:42 - Feb 15 with 2316 viewstextbackup

Anyone else think on 08:40 - Feb 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

You ok hun? x

I don’t know what that means sorry

Anyone else think on 08:42 - Feb 15 with 2311 viewsitfcjoe

The poor Millwall side have scored more first goals than everyone bar Leicester and Southampton this season so are known for starting well - we just kept them out and then put on a really professional performance

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anyone else think on 08:46 - Feb 15 with 2252 viewstextbackup

Anyone else think on 08:42 - Feb 15 by itfcjoe

The poor Millwall side have scored more first goals than everyone bar Leicester and Southampton this season so are known for starting well - we just kept them out and then put on a really professional performance

Think I read they have lost the most points from a winning position this season?

Reflects in their league position, which imo shows they are poor. They were a bit like us in the season we went down, just empty once heads went down.

Anyone else think on 08:50 - Feb 15 with 2184 viewsSteve_M

Anyone else think on 08:46 - Feb 15 by textbackup

Think I read they have lost the most points from a winning position this season?

Reflects in their league position, which imo shows they are poor. They were a bit like us in the season we went down, just empty once heads went down.

They are definitely fragile but I think part of the reason we struggled a bit early on was because they were a threat from set pieces and very single-minded about how they were using them.

We certainly didn't start very well but actually were far more defensively resilient than we have been in recent weeks.

Interesting to see that McK was particularly pleased with that:

“A good night’s work,” McKenna reflected. “A good performance in some different
areas. I thought our defending set plays was really good.

McKenna: A Good, Solid Team Performance 14th Feb 2024 23:16
Boss Kieran McKenna felt the Blues 4-0 away victory at Millwall was “a good, solid team performance”. 9

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Anyone else think on 08:53 - Feb 15 with 2163 viewstextbackup

Anyone else think on 08:50 - Feb 15 by Steve_M

They are definitely fragile but I think part of the reason we struggled a bit early on was because they were a threat from set pieces and very single-minded about how they were using them.

We certainly didn't start very well but actually were far more defensively resilient than we have been in recent weeks.

Interesting to see that McK was particularly pleased with that:

“A good night’s work,” McKenna reflected. “A good performance in some different
areas. I thought our defending set plays was really good.

McKenna: A Good, Solid Team Performance 14th Feb 2024 23:16
Boss Kieran McKenna felt the Blues 4-0 away victory at Millwall was “a good, solid team performance”. 9

Very true, and I guess to flip a negative to a positive you/we/I should be chuffed we stood up to that challenge in the first 15mins.

Anyone else think on 09:17 - Feb 15 with 1990 viewsSawtrich

Anyone else think on 08:53 - Feb 15 by textbackup

Very true, and I guess to flip a negative to a positive you/we/I should be chuffed we stood up to that challenge in the first 15mins.

I understand the point he's making, we were poor again for the first 10/15 mins, no doubt. You shouldn't just ignore it because we ran out comfortable winners in the end. In much the same way I thought we were superb in the second half against WBA and you shouldn't just ignore that because they scored with their only shot and we couldn't quite force the win.
Anyone else think on 09:23 - Feb 15 with 1921 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anyone else think on 08:41 - Feb 15 by textbackup

Is it an odd thing to post, considering since norwich at home we’ve not scored the first goal, and found ourselves going behind… resulting in a string of indifferent results?

You are correct, and I think maybe the fact millwall gave absolutely nothing in the second half made the 4-0 win actually feel a bit of a dull game. (Dull but we were in total control and I’m delighted at that) I’m sure you know what I mean

It's a fair point to make that we've conceded early a lot in games.
I still say it seems odd after a 0-4 win to say "if we'd played anyone but Millwall we'd be 1-0 down".

Well, erm, yeah. If we'd played Leeds away, or Leicester away, or 1970s Brazil there's a reasonable chance we'd have conceded an early goal.

Anyone else think on 09:25 - Feb 15 with 1881 viewsSouperJim

They had two fierce shots from outside the box early in the game, both low and hard coming through players that gave Hladky quite a bit of bother. Another night one of those takes a deflection or finds the bottom corner and it's a totally different game.

Hopefully the result gives us a bit of confidence now and we stop looking fragile early in games.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Anyone else think on 09:27 - Feb 15 with 1874 viewstextbackup

Anyone else think on 09:23 - Feb 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

I still say it seems odd after a 0-4 win to say "if we'd played anyone but Millwall we'd be 1-0 down".

Well, erm, yeah. If we'd played Leeds away, or Leicester away, or 1970s Brazil there's a reasonable chance we'd have conceded an early goal.

I’m just slightly concerned we are slow when starting games. Not sure that’s as big of a deal that it seems to be.

Playing these lesser teams seems a good practice for changing what’s become a common theme.

Anyone else think on 09:28 - Feb 15 with 1859 viewsSomethingBlue

Dunno, wasn't like they ran us ragged or really put anything together but all those set pieces were a bit of a pain. We handled them pretty well and it was the standard intense start you'd expect there – not sure we can really extrapolate.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Anyone else think on 09:30 - Feb 15 with 1781 viewsSouperJim

Anyone else think on 09:23 - Feb 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

We concede goals in the first 20 minutes just about every week, regardless of who we're playing.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Anyone else think on 09:33 - Feb 15 with 1727 viewsBseaBlue

Anyone else think on 09:27 - Feb 15 by textbackup

I’m just slightly concerned we are slow when starting games. Not sure that’s as big of a deal that it seems to be.

Playing these lesser teams seems a good practice for changing what’s become a common theme.

I think its a fair point you are making with regards to the slow start. It has been a common issue for us this season, but luckily we have found ways to combat it.

For me, it was a massive relief to see Burgess back in the team. We look so much more assured at the back and Wolfie looks more confident having his trusted partner next to him. I don't think its a coincidence that the offside trap kicked back in with him in the team either. The barrage of set pieces in the opening stages was dealt with really well.

Maybe that is a bit harsh on Fridge who hasn't done much wrong, but Burgess for me is right up there in the player of the season rankings.
Anyone else think on 09:33 - Feb 15 with 1726 viewsportmanking

Anyone else think on 09:17 - Feb 15 by Sawtrich

I understand the point he's making, we were poor again for the first 10/15 mins, no doubt. You shouldn't just ignore it because we ran out comfortable winners in the end. In much the same way I thought we were superb in the second half against WBA and you shouldn't just ignore that because they scored with their only shot and we couldn't quite force the win.

I don't think you can describe it as 'poor'.

Sometimes we have to remember there's another 11 players on the pitch. We have to give credit to them for the way they came out of the blocks. They won a lot of cheap free kicks in good areas, but that was really the only way they were going to build momentum.

It was up to us to stand up to that challenge and we did, manfully. Then we let our football do the talking for the remaining 70 mins.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024