Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. 17:33 - Feb 17 with 3875 viewsTheBoyBlue

Premier League teams in all but name with their resources, strength in depth and having bounced back excellently. All those from the rest of the Championship having a chuckle because we've supposedly "blown it" and yet none of them have got anywhere near the 3 that came down over the course of season, yet there we are, keeping up.

I've not given up hopes of automatic, but I never dreamt in million years that we would get near them at the start of the season and the top 3 are relentless. Whether we go up or not, this season has been incredible.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 17:37 - Feb 17 with 3828 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Leeds have Leicester on Friday night and then an FA Cup 6th round tie and a trip to Huddersfield after that.

We need to keep on winning but if we do, the other two will slip up at some point. We just need to slip up 1 fewer time than both of them.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 17:39 - Feb 17 with 3804 viewsWonTheCupin78

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 17:37 - Feb 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

Leeds have Leicester on Friday night and then an FA Cup 6th round tie and a trip to Huddersfield after that.

We need to keep on winning but if we do, the other two will slip up at some point. We just need to slip up 1 fewer time than both of them.

Next up for us: Rotherham. A real opportunity to put the pressure back on Leeds.
Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 17:55 - Feb 17 with 3671 viewsTheBoyBlue

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 17:37 - Feb 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

Oh yes, there definitely is scope for us sneaking in providing we keep winning, but it does seem a tall order. We need Leicester to beat Leeds because I think they'd be more likely to knock them, but after hoping that their defeat at Bristol City would check their momentum, Southampton have just picked up from where they left it the week before.

You never know though, this time last year a lot of us were resigned to the play-offs!

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 18:19 - Feb 17 with 3553 viewsPinewoodblue

We have an advantage in that we have been here before, albeit in League One. We know what to expect, we know what we have to do, just keep going and the pressure is on others.

Both us and Southampton play our game in hand Tuesday, both at home, us against the bottom club , Southampton against a team who, if they win, move into a play off place.

One match at a time.....

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 00:18 - Feb 18 with 3200 viewsTheBoyBlue

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 18:19 - Feb 17 by Pinewoodblue

We have an advantage in that we have been here before, albeit in League One. We know what to expect, we know what we have to do, just keep going and the pressure is on others.

Both us and Southampton play our game in hand Tuesday, both at home, us against the bottom club , Southampton against a team who, if they win, move into a play off place.

One match at a time.....

Could be invaluable. Here's hoping anyway!

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 00:54 - Feb 18 with 3150 viewscharlie1

We win all our games and we finish above Southampton, and are at least level on points with Leeds, who still have Leicester and Southampton to play.

It’s not going to happen, football doesn’t work that way, but it’s great to see us having a real good go.
Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 00:58 - Feb 18 with 3138 viewsquirkie

Amen to that, been a fantastic season whatever happens until May. For us it has been a free hit and if we don't go up this season, I'm going to enjoy the summer break and feel very confident about next season.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 07:47 - Feb 18 with 2920 viewsitfc_bucks

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 00:58 - Feb 18 by quirkie

Amen to that, been a fantastic season whatever happens until May. For us it has been a free hit and if we don't go up this season, I'm going to enjoy the summer break and feel very confident about next season.

My "big" worry is that having gotten ourselves into this position, it's no longer the free hot we thought.

Expectations are raised, unexpected possibilities are in sight and this might have consequences if we don't get over the line.

One game at a time though...
Login to get fewer ads

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 08:22 - Feb 18 with 2859 viewsITFC_Forever

Prior to this season, only ten teams in Championship history had won 66 points or more after 32 games.

Just our luck, when we do it, three others are doing so as well.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 08:28 - Feb 18 with 2827 viewsChurchman

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 07:47 - Feb 18 by itfc_bucks

My "big" worry is that having gotten ourselves into this position, it's no longer the free hot we thought.

Expectations are raised, unexpected possibilities are in sight and this might have consequences if we don't get over the line.

One game at a time though...

I don’t see that. I thought before the season started that it’d go well. Realistically, I thought 6-10th would constitute a good season. We are going to do better than that. A lot better both in league position and the way we play.

So for me, top two is a possible and definitely a free hit. Just go for it. That we are invisible to the media and our opponents again is great. I’ve no doubt local tv will be dribbling all over Norwich’s uptick in form too - great. It’s a fantastic opportunity and oh how I’d laugh to hear bonehead Sutton and co’s witless, patronising mumblings if we were to make top two.

As for the title in this thread, maybe Leeds and Southampton have done phenomenally well to keep pace with us, given we are five points better off than Sheffield Utd were at this stage last season.
[Post edited 18 Feb 13:02]
Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 12:32 - Feb 18 with 2638 viewsTheBoyBlue

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 08:22 - Feb 18 by ITFC_Forever

Prior to this season, only ten teams in Championship history had won 66 points or more after 32 games.

Just our luck, when we do it, three others are doing so as well.

Especially after last season too.

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 14:19 - Feb 18 with 2526 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 08:28 - Feb 18 by Churchman

I don’t see that. I thought before the season started that it’d go well. Realistically, I thought 6-10th would constitute a good season. We are going to do better than that. A lot better both in league position and the way we play.

So for me, top two is a possible and definitely a free hit. Just go for it. That we are invisible to the media and our opponents again is great. I’ve no doubt local tv will be dribbling all over Norwich’s uptick in form too - great. It’s a fantastic opportunity and oh how I’d laugh to hear bonehead Sutton and co’s witless, patronising mumblings if we were to make top two.

As for the title in this thread, maybe Leeds and Southampton have done phenomenally well to keep pace with us, given we are five points better off than Sheffield Utd were at this stage last season.
[Post edited 18 Feb 13:02]

"maybe Leeds and Southampton have done phenomenally well to keep pace with us..."

Love that.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 15:55 - Feb 18 with 2435 viewsTheBoyBlue

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 14:19 - Feb 18 by You_Bloo_Right

"maybe Leeds and Southampton have done phenomenally well to keep pace with us..."

Love that.

Me too!

At the very least it must have irked them for a while that we were getting in the way of their private Premier League funded promotion race.

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 16:09 - Feb 18 with 2408 viewsOldFart71

As you say a tremendous effort whichever way it goes. So many whingers on here saying so and so is out of form, made a mistake, wrong team set up etc, etc. Just be grateful that we have a team capable of challenging. I for one will never agree with the way teams that are relegated get an unfair advantage and the higher the League the greater the financial reward. Whilst I understand the financial implication of relegation it in the main allows a relegated Premier League club to keep a majority of their players and whilst there's no guarantee of success this season proves that advantage where teams that are first, second and third are all worth many millions more than the one in fourth place. All the more reason to proclaim the fantastic effort, planning and technical nous of the management at PR.
Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 16:15 - Feb 18 with 2397 viewsHerbivore

Really hoping that Chelsea slap Leeds and Liverpool slap Southampton. A long midweek trip that ends up with a pasting is not ideal in the midst of the most competitive promotion race the Championship has seen.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 18:35 - Feb 18 with 2290 viewsGavTWTD

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 17:39 - Feb 17 by WonTheCupin78

Next up for us: Rotherham. A real opportunity to put the pressure back on Leeds.

A lot of talk about resting players for this one. I can understand the argument but can't take Rotherham for granted.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 18:42 - Feb 18 with 2252 viewsHerbivore

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 18:35 - Feb 18 by GavTWTD

A lot of talk about resting players for this one. I can understand the argument but can't take Rotherham for granted.

Think we'll rest a couple. Luongo for Travis, Sarmiento and Burns in for Hutch and Broadhead perhaps. Clarke for Tuanzebe is also possible. Think that would give us some fresh legs without really weakening us and if we can get a comfortable lead we could then give Al-Hamadi some minutes, possibly even given Davis and Morsy half an hour off. It's tricky, we've got to take them seriously but a couple of players could do with resting so need to strike a balance.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 00:17 - Feb 19 with 2049 viewsTheBoyBlue

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 16:09 - Feb 18 by OldFart71

As you say a tremendous effort whichever way it goes. So many whingers on here saying so and so is out of form, made a mistake, wrong team set up etc, etc. Just be grateful that we have a team capable of challenging. I for one will never agree with the way teams that are relegated get an unfair advantage and the higher the League the greater the financial reward. Whilst I understand the financial implication of relegation it in the main allows a relegated Premier League club to keep a majority of their players and whilst there's no guarantee of success this season proves that advantage where teams that are first, second and third are all worth many millions more than the one in fourth place. All the more reason to proclaim the fantastic effort, planning and technical nous of the management at PR.

I'm not sure what more we could've done in the circumstances. It has become so skewed and if the teams coming down get it right, there's not much else the rest can do.

We've done incredibly well against that backdrop.

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 03:01 - Feb 19 with 1995 viewsMinneapolis_ITFC

You got to understand we're unlikely to have another opportunity in a season like this for maybe some time in which to become part of the EPL once again. Kind of similar back in 2001 for reaching the Champions League and although the team fell short back then and just missed out you can draw parallels here in where such a standout opportunity presents itself but only for what could be a limited time.

Thing is we got a real good chance of doing it if you view remaining fixtures. There's only a handful of arguable heavyweights or tough opponents for us to play, the rest seem on paper at least, Town victories or three points our way. Maybe appear over confident or something.
Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 03:27 - Feb 19 with 1976 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 03:01 - Feb 19 by Minneapolis_ITFC

You got to understand we're unlikely to have another opportunity in a season like this for maybe some time in which to become part of the EPL once again. Kind of similar back in 2001 for reaching the Champions League and although the team fell short back then and just missed out you can draw parallels here in where such a standout opportunity presents itself but only for what could be a limited time.

Thing is we got a real good chance of doing it if you view remaining fixtures. There's only a handful of arguable heavyweights or tough opponents for us to play, the rest seem on paper at least, Town victories or three points our way. Maybe appear over confident or something.

Not sure mate, April has three extremely tough away games for teams gunning for the top 6. It’s not Posh and Barnsley the year. I’ve got confidence in this team but though and we need to have an exceptional rest of this month and March to have a chance I think.

If we fall short, we should still be very strong next year in what should be a less top heavy division. Would probably end up selling Davis, which would be a huge loss but should bring in serious money and help FFP. But that’s for another day, for now we have 14 (maybe 17) huge games ahead of us.
Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 05:49 - Feb 19 with 1938 viewsVic

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 03:01 - Feb 19 by Minneapolis_ITFC

What makes you think it’s unlikely we’ll have another opportunity like this? If we’re as good as we hope we are, the manager is as good as he is and the financial backing as solid as it seems then I expect that if we miss out this season we will continue to build and improve and give it another shot this season and the next, etc

That’s surely what building a team and a club is about - even Man City did that at the start of thier period of dominance. I’m sure we’ll lose a couple of players if we don’t go up, but I’m confident the money will be reinvested to make the team and squad better over all. If we can’t do that then the manager and backroom boys aren’t as good as we think.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 07:16 - Feb 19 with 1838 viewsChurchman

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 05:49 - Feb 19 by Vic

What makes you think it’s unlikely we’ll have another opportunity like this? If we’re as good as we hope we are, the manager is as good as he is and the financial backing as solid as it seems then I expect that if we miss out this season we will continue to build and improve and give it another shot this season and the next, etc

That’s surely what building a team and a club is about - even Man City did that at the start of thier period of dominance. I’m sure we’ll lose a couple of players if we don’t go up, but I’m confident the money will be reinvested to make the team and squad better over all. If we can’t do that then the manager and backroom boys aren’t as good as we think.

The parallel with Burley’s time is there. Holland on Life’s A Pitch made the point that 2000 was the fourth attempt. The club were pushing over a number of years, selling and adding. Should we not go up this year, I think we will push again next season, with or without Davis, McKenna etc.

2014/15 was all about McCarthy trying to perform a miracle with a club already rotting away. He and TC had to do it on their own against the odds. Now, the whole club is gearing itself up to not only perform on and off the pitch at the highest level but also to grow.

The importance of foundations/structure of the club is just as important as what the manager and training staff do at Playford Road. We will be fine. The primary aim this year was to establish ourselves. Boy have we done that.
Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 08:08 - Feb 19 with 1766 viewsBluefields

Those three sides were woeful in the Premier League last season and they are weaker now having sold their better players.
However what McKenna has done with this group of players is incredible and the season is now set up to be nailbiting with a few twists and turns. Fancy Town to ultimately edge out both Leeds and Southampton.
Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 13:44 - Feb 19 with 1492 viewsTheBoyBlue

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 08:08 - Feb 19 by Bluefields

Those three sides were woeful in the Premier League last season and they are weaker now having sold their better players.
However what McKenna has done with this group of players is incredible and the season is now set up to be nailbiting with a few twists and turns. Fancy Town to ultimately edge out both Leeds and Southampton.

They were worse than everybody else in the PL, but in Leeds and Southampton's cases it was because of fairly spectacularly bad judgements on the management front, whilst Leicester kind of sleepwalked into relegation, possibly thinking they were too good to go down.

All 3 have come into this season with far greater quality in depth than anyone else in this division can claim, put good managers in charge and generally approached this season in the right way, which isn't always the case with teams relegated from the PL.

Any team coming down ought to go straight back up with all the benefits that they come down with and of course one team usually does this like Burnley, Norwich, Fulham, etc in previous years. That all 3 have done it this year, in the same season as we've got such a high points total is incredible.

Phenomenal effort to be keeping pace with Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. on 18:57 - Feb 19 with 1350 viewsTheBoyBlue

This is no fluke or standout season like when we got to the playoffs with McCarthy. It is better than we expected, but it is part of the upwards trajectory that the club has been carefully managing.

That's not to say we will definitely go up next season, but if we play anywhere near as well next year as this then I don't believe the teams coming down will be anywhere near as strong as those who came down last season.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024