Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? 15:36 - Mar 15 with 811 viewsDubtractor

Well colour me shocked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68574010

Has this government done anything that has actually benefited the country? Anything at all?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 15:37 - Mar 15 with 792 viewsBlueBadger

Our passports are a nicer colour now?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 15:39 - Mar 15 with 777 viewsFtnfwest

Working on several of these (in terms of capital schemes) with majority held up because the original estimates were done pre 2022. Inflation then took off and the schemes are having to go through phases of cos cutting to meet the original budgets. They originally allowed for inflation but not to the level we've experienced.
So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 15:43 - Mar 15 with 763 viewseireblue

That’s the sort of thing that someone worried about educational attainment of boys from deprived economic areas would very annoyed with the Tories about.
So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 15:47 - Mar 15 with 751 viewsITFC_Forever

Who knew.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 15:49 - Mar 15 with 750 viewsBrianTablet

Yeah, but what about Pitt the Elder?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 16:20 - Mar 15 with 695 viewsfactual_blue

Yeah, but they got brexit done.

So that's all good.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 16:23 - Mar 15 with 685 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

“Only 10% of flagship levelling up funds spent, say MPs”

…the other 90pc is just ‘resting in their accounts’…
So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 16:25 - Mar 15 with 679 viewsfactual_blue

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 15:49 - Mar 15 by BrianTablet

Yeah, but what about Pitt the Elder?

His grandfather sold a diamond in 1717 to the Duke of Orleans for £135,000, which is in excess of £37 million in current values.

Login to get fewer ads

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 16:40 - Mar 15 with 655 viewsfactual_blue

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 16:23 - Mar 15 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“Only 10% of flagship levelling up funds spent, say MPs”

…the other 90pc is just ‘resting in their accounts’…

The Treasury love these sorts of initiative, as they retain control. It means applicants have to go through impossible hoops designed by The Treasury to get any money. Ministers love them because it's not their fault the money isn't spent.

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 16:41 - Mar 15 with 655 viewsCheltenham_Blue

"Has this government done anything that has actually benefited the country? Anything at all?"

I think, I think, the plan was to do a poor imitation of benefitting the country whilst massively benefiting themselves and their best mates.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 17:24 - Mar 15 with 615 viewsDarkHorse

We got are country back. Or something.
So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 18:32 - Mar 15 with 571 viewsSwansea_Blue

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 15:39 - Mar 15 by Ftnfwest

Working on several of these (in terms of capital schemes) with majority held up because the original estimates were done pre 2022. Inflation then took off and the schemes are having to go through phases of cos cutting to meet the original budgets. They originally allowed for inflation but not to the level we've experienced.

Yeah, we’re on the end of some of these funds and that’s one of the biggest issues. The implementation of them has been poor too, with a lack of clarity around things like eligible costs, claims documentation and processes, etc. To some extent that’s to be expected with new schemes. The biggest problem for us though is the money available is a fraction of what used to be available. A tiny fraction at that - at our organisational level it’s covering well under 10%* of what we did get and so we’ve lost dozens of staff. This is supposed to be the flagship replacement for things like EU structural funds, but is nowhere near close. It’s pretty crap.

*and that’s now. We’ve had virtually nothing for the previous 2 years.
[Post edited 15 Mar 18:34]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 18:38 - Mar 15 with 557 viewsSwansea_Blue

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 17:24 - Mar 15 by DarkHorse

We got are country back. Or something.

Look on the bright side. There are 76 million fewer Turks here than would have been by now, simultaneously taking all our work and all the benefits. Or something.

I don’t think I’ll ever get over how people fell for all that bullsh*t.

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 18:45 - Mar 15 with 548 viewsBlueBadger

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 18:38 - Mar 15 by Swansea_Blue

Look on the bright side. There are 76 million fewer Turks here than would have been by now, simultaneously taking all our work and all the benefits. Or something.

I don’t think I’ll ever get over how people fell for all that bullsh*t.

But the people selling Brexit were all so honest, decent, open minded, compassionate and competent!

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 19:46 - Mar 15 with 509 viewsSwansea_Blue

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 18:45 - Mar 15 by BlueBadger

But the people selling Brexit were all so honest, decent, open minded, compassionate and competent!

As we said back in the 80s -

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 19:55 - Mar 15 with 494 viewsnoggin

They are standing up for democracy in the Middle East and so protecting the British people from extremism. um.....

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

So levelling up was just a catchphrase with little substance behind it? on 20:24 - Mar 15 with 472 viewscbower

The saddest thing of all is many in those 'red wall' communities who needed the investment to start to repair years of neglect actually believed the Johnson bull pucky. They voted him in in droves out of desperation and got what many of thought all along, platitudes and a few crumbs from the big boy's table. Nobody ever seemed to ask the bigger question either - why does the co untry need levelling up in the first place? Who has perpetuated the economic divisions within the UK? Why do we put our trust in the same institutions that cause our problems in the first place?

bluescouser

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024