Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking for D-Day veterans 11:01 - Mar 18 with 3296 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Random question for the TWTD collective. It's an aspiration of mine to be able to meet a veteran who served in Normandy on D-Day, to have the opportunity to shake their hand, to be able to speak to them about their experiences, and to be able to say 'thank you' for what they did.

I was having a look at attending Normandy in June this year while the 80th anniversary commemorations are running but I don't think it will be feasible.

Are there any posters on here who have any family members in the East Anglia region who served in Normandy on D-Day and for whom it could be possible to arrange a meet up over a drink/lunch?

Extreme long shot but thought I would post all the same in case anyone can help.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Looking for D-Day veterans on 11:20 - Mar 18 with 2397 viewsnoggin

Apparently my grandad was there but I never knew until he died. He never uttered a single word about it to anyone.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Looking for D-Day veterans on 12:16 - Mar 18 with 2300 viewssoupytwist

My great uncle was part of the D-Day landings but he died about 10 years ago. This could be a recurring theme in your quest.

He didn't talk about it much (at least not when I was present) but I was able to visit a cemetery in Normandy while on holiday with my family one year and at his request place some flowers on the grave of a couple of his colleagues who didn't make it back.
Looking for D-Day veterans on 12:41 - Mar 18 with 2240 viewsGuthrum

Unfortunately, a veteran of D-Day is at best going to be approaching their 100th birthday. Not too many still around.

There was thought to only be about six left alive in the UK at the time of last year's anniversary. https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2023-06-06/veteran-who-served-in-the-royal-navy

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Looking for D-Day veterans on 12:41 - Mar 18 with 2233 viewsJ2BLUE

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-67967629

You might be able to track him down and see if he's interested.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Looking for D-Day veterans on 12:47 - Mar 18 with 2207 viewsElephantintheRoom

You’ll be doing very well to find any. There were not many left for the 75th anniversary - and a couple of them had passed away before the IWM featured their stories.

If you haven’t seen any of Rishi’s WW2 interviews they are worth watching on You Tu be whilst you’re waiting to find a Normandy veteran

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Looking for D-Day veterans on 12:49 - Mar 18 with 2218 viewschicoazul

Hi OP, my grandfather was at Sword beach on that fateful day and fought hard. He is always happy to reminisce about it, he lives in a care home in Lepizg if you’d like the number?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Looking for D-Day veterans on 12:54 - Mar 18 with 2189 viewsnoggin

Looking for D-Day veterans on 12:49 - Mar 18 by chicoazul

Hi OP, my grandfather was at Sword beach on that fateful day and fought hard. He is always happy to reminisce about it, he lives in a care home in Lepizg if you’d like the number?

So sorry for the fat fingers downvote. Meant to be an uppie.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Looking for D-Day veterans on 12:57 - Mar 18 with 2172 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Looking for D-Day veterans on 12:41 - Mar 18 by J2BLUE

Thanks, J2. I came across him and the news stories this morning and have reached out to a couple of his family members via Facebook. Awaiting and hoping for a response.

Login to get fewer ads

Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:00 - Mar 18 with 2144 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Looking for D-Day veterans on 12:41 - Mar 18 by Guthrum

Unfortunately, a veteran of D-Day is at best going to be approaching their 100th birthday. Not too many still around.

There was thought to only be about six left alive in the UK at the time of last year's anniversary. https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2023-06-06/veteran-who-served-in-the-royal-navy

I remember reading that story before and thinking to myself whether 'six' was a typo. Surely there must be more than literally just six still alive, despite the fact that they will be 98 years of age minimum.

Yes, I may have left it too late.

Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:09 - Mar 18 with 2099 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Looking for D-Day veterans on 12:49 - Mar 18 by chicoazul

I've PMd you.

Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:19 - Mar 18 with 2072 viewsChurchman

My father in law was on one of the Motor Launches leading landing craft into Gold Beach. He was a member of the Normandy Veterans Association (NVA) but refused point blank to attend any of the anniversaries. He said that he saw far too much to attend such things which he saw as a form of celebration.

He in fact refused to talk about any aspect of his service, though I know he had an active war with Coastal Forces against the Germans and later in 1944/45 the Japanese.

Entirely his choice, of course. They were all astonishingly brave and as for DDay itself, it was the or one of the most amazing operations of WW2. Though of course, that day was just the start of the Normandy campaign.

Essential reading: James Holland’s Normandy 44 and his book on the armoured conflict DDay and beyond - Brothers in Arms.
Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:19 - Mar 18 with 2071 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I've also sent an email to the Suffolk branch of the Royal British Legion to see if they can directly assist in anyway or suggest anything else.

Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:21 - Mar 18 with 2046 viewschicoazul

Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:09 - Mar 18 by ThisIsMyUsername

I've PMd you.

I’ll check it shortly OP but I will warn you - he has some strong views about that period! You know what people of that vintage can be like!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:30 - Mar 18 with 2003 viewsGuthrum

Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:00 - Mar 18 by ThisIsMyUsername

I remember reading that story before and thinking to myself whether 'six' was a typo. Surely there must be more than literally just six still alive, despite the fact that they will be 98 years of age minimum.

Yes, I may have left it too late.

There were about 60,000 British troops (not including the Canadians) landed on D-Day itself, plus a slightly greater number of naval personnel and RAF aircrew delivering and supporting them. But that's out of some three million who served over the entire war. Quite a small proportion.

Some of those will not have survived subsequent fighting, or were older than their early 20s. Plus more women live to 100 than men, on a ratio of 4.5:1 (ONS figures, 2022). From the same source, that would give only an estimated 2,750 male centenarians in England and Wales in 2022. So six is probably not too far off.
[Post edited 18 Mar 13:33]

Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:31 - Mar 18 with 1986 viewsPlums

Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:19 - Mar 18 by Churchman

My father in law was on one of the Motor Launches leading landing craft into Gold Beach. He was a member of the Normandy Veterans Association (NVA) but refused point blank to attend any of the anniversaries. He said that he saw far too much to attend such things which he saw as a form of celebration.

He in fact refused to talk about any aspect of his service, though I know he had an active war with Coastal Forces against the Germans and later in 1944/45 the Japanese.

Entirely his choice, of course. They were all astonishingly brave and as for DDay itself, it was the or one of the most amazing operations of WW2. Though of course, that day was just the start of the Normandy campaign.

Essential reading: James Holland’s Normandy 44 and his book on the armoured conflict DDay and beyond - Brothers in Arms.

If there is a veteran available to talk, they will very likely be here in July:
https://wehavewaysfest.co.uk/
Unsurprisingly, the focus is 1944.

In 2022, they had Jack Mann, the only known survivor of the LRDG which was an incredible experience.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:35 - Mar 18 with 1970 viewsGuthrum

Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:19 - Mar 18 by ThisIsMyUsername

I've also sent an email to the Suffolk branch of the Royal British Legion to see if they can directly assist in anyway or suggest anything else.

As mentioned by Elephant, the Imperial War Museum might also be worth a shout, if you haven't already.

Looking for D-Day veterans on 14:05 - Mar 18 with 1916 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:30 - Mar 18 by Guthrum

There were about 60,000 British troops (not including the Canadians) landed on D-Day itself, plus a slightly greater number of naval personnel and RAF aircrew delivering and supporting them. But that's out of some three million who served over the entire war. Quite a small proportion.

Some of those will not have survived subsequent fighting, or were older than their early 20s. Plus more women live to 100 than men, on a ratio of 4.5:1 (ONS figures, 2022). From the same source, that would give only an estimated 2,750 male centenarians in England and Wales in 2022. So six is probably not too far off.

You make some very good points.

I'll contact the IWM too.
[Post edited 18 Mar 14:06]

Looking for D-Day veterans on 14:14 - Mar 18 with 1892 viewsBiGDonnie

Anyone seen 'masters of the air', currently half way through and loving it.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Looking for D-Day veterans on 16:21 - Mar 18 with 1790 viewsfactual_blue

Looking for D-Day veterans on 12:41 - Mar 18 by Guthrum

Parts of two local regiments did land on D Day, but it's still extremely unlikely. Third Division included both the First Battalion, Suffolk Regiment and the First Battalion, Royal Norfolk Regiment. No doubt there was locak representation in the Sixth Airbourne Division.

I doubt many of the initial landing forces survived the wider battle for Normandy. Casualties on both sides were horrendous.

https://www.historyonthenet.com/d-day-regiments#:~:text=Sixth%20Airborne%20Divis

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Looking for D-Day veterans on 16:35 - Mar 18 with 1746 viewsChurchman

Looking for D-Day veterans on 16:21 - Mar 18 by factual_blue

Parts of two local regiments did land on D Day, but it's still extremely unlikely. Third Division included both the First Battalion, Suffolk Regiment and the First Battalion, Royal Norfolk Regiment. No doubt there was locak representation in the Sixth Airbourne Division.

I doubt many of the initial landing forces survived the wider battle for Normandy. Casualties on both sides were horrendous.

https://www.historyonthenet.com/d-day-regiments#:~:text=Sixth%20Airborne%20Divis

Once the bridgehead was secured it became a war of attrition for the allies to break out. Easier said than done. Americans who realise the British/Canadians were present in the battle for Normandy blame the slowness of the breakout on them - of course. But it really wasn’t like that.
Looking for D-Day veterans on 18:05 - Mar 18 with 1660 viewshoppy

Looking for D-Day veterans on 16:21 - Mar 18 by factual_blue

I was going to suggest him asking you, in case any of your grandchildren were involved at all...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Looking for D-Day veterans on 18:31 - Mar 18 with 1620 viewsfactual_blue

Looking for D-Day veterans on 18:05 - Mar 18 by hoppy

I was going to suggest him asking you, in case any of your grandchildren were involved at all...

balls

Old Uncle Factual had been wounded shortly after the Salerno landings in 1943, and his regiment continued to fight in Italy. Also he's dead.

Old Father Factual was in Canada with the RAF. Also he's dead.

So they can't help really.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:14 - Mar 19 with 1413 viewsChurchman

Looking for D-Day veterans on 13:30 - Mar 18 by Guthrum

British Canadian and other Commonwealth nations totalled 83,000 men (55 Divisions). The US 73,000 (50 Divisions). The RAF supplied two thirds of the air strength and RN the majority of the naval vessels/support.

It was an epic undertaking, brilliantly planned and executed. Plenty of things went wrong, but a heck of a lot more went right.

Montgomery was slaughtered after DDay. He never received the credit he deserved. He was a peculiar, thoroughly difficult man who rubbed people up the wrong way. He wanted to get to Caen on day one, but never made it. Lastly politics. The Americans wanted and of course claimed all the credit and that’s how history has been written.

Fortunately Eisenhower was bigger than that and mashed the forces together superbly. Now there was a great man.
Looking for D-Day veterans on 17:14 - Apr 11 with 848 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Looking for D-Day veterans on 12:41 - Mar 18 by J2BLUE

UPDATE:

Today I had the incredible honour of spending a couple of hours in the company of Bill Gladden, a meeting arranged with assistance of TWTD poster TJGodden. It was an experience which will stay with me for the rest of my life. Hearing his story and experience 80 years on is almost as unbelievable as it is fascinating.

Looking for D-Day veterans on 18:12 - Apr 11 with 764 viewsNthQldITFC

Looking for D-Day veterans on 17:14 - Apr 11 by ThisIsMyUsername

UPDATE:

Today I had the incredible honour of spending a couple of hours in the company of Bill Gladden, a meeting arranged with assistance of TWTD poster TJGodden. It was an experience which will stay with me for the rest of my life. Hearing his story and experience 80 years on is almost as unbelievable as it is fascinating.

That's wonderful. I'm really touched that you've done that, even though I don't know you or Mr Gladden. I'm sure other posters feel the same way. There's a big net gain in human happiness from your reaching out to, and spending time visiting Mr Gladden and from mentioning it here. Thanks to both of you, I mean that really deeply.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024