Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... 07:58 - Mar 26 with 1885 viewsITFC_Forever

... hardly a breath of wind and no accidents.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 08:25 - Mar 26 with 1849 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 08:42 - Mar 26 with 1793 viewsgeg1992

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 08:25 - Mar 26 by SitfcB

I was the only one going 40 when I crossed! But I didn't see the first sign so reduced speed late, although I don't think they're capable of recording the speed at one specific time.

Then the sign said 60 so I sped up, the next said 40!

Going to be a lot of speeding tickets issued!

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 08:45 - Mar 26 with 1780 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 08:42 - Mar 26 by geg1992

I was the only one going 40 when I crossed! But I didn't see the first sign so reduced speed late, although I don't think they're capable of recording the speed at one specific time.

Was the same last night about 7:30. I suspect that some drivers were not paying attention!

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 09:14 - Mar 26 with 1694 viewstazdac

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 08:42 - Mar 26 by geg1992

I don’t know how they get away with the cameras being variable speed. The signage is so poor. There should be overhead gantry that can display the speed better than a fixed sign that changes which if you use the bridge everyday probably don’t look at. :o)
Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 09:43 - Mar 26 with 1614 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 09:14 - Mar 26 by tazdac

I don’t know how they get away with the cameras being variable speed. The signage is so poor. There should be overhead gantry that can display the speed better than a fixed sign that changes which if you use the bridge everyday probably don’t look at. :o)

There are several signs in each direction and they are illuminated. You really should be looking as you drive.

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 09:47 - Mar 26 with 1598 viewsITFC_Forever

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 09:43 - Mar 26 by Tangledupin_Blue

There are several signs in each direction and they are illuminated. You really should be looking as you drive.

The worst bit is when you join from Wherstead.

There's a digital sign near the bottom of the slip road, but by then, you're looking at the A14 to find a gap, not at the roadside, so it is not at all clear what the speed should be.

And this morning, all the signs were reading 40 for no reason.

Then when you come off the bridge, the fixed metal signs are 60, but everyone stays at 40....
[Post edited 26 Mar 11:01]

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 09:57 - Mar 26 with 1570 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 09:47 - Mar 26 by ITFC_Forever

The worst bit is when you join from Wherstead.

There's a digital sign near the bottom of the slip road, but by then, you're looking at the A14 to find a gap, not at the roadside, so it is not at all clear what the speed should be.

And this morning, all the signs were reading 40 for no reason.

Then when you come off the bridge, the fixed metal signs are 60, but everyone stays at 40....
[Post edited 26 Mar 11:01]

It is not for 'no reason'. The reason is above, posted by Sitters.

And if you are driving too fast to take in all the signage whilst filtering in then slow down a bit.

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 10:00 - Mar 26 with 1548 viewsITFC_Forever

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 09:57 - Mar 26 by Tangledupin_Blue

It is not for 'no reason'. The reason is above, posted by Sitters.

And if you are driving too fast to take in all the signage whilst filtering in then slow down a bit.

On the slip road, I'm building up to the speed of the traffic I am joining, as you are supposed to do..... it isn't the speed, it's a poorly positioned sign.

Login to get fewer ads

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 10:34 - Mar 26 with 1465 viewsDouble_Dutch

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 10:00 - Mar 26 by ITFC_Forever

On the slip road, I'm building up to the speed of the traffic I am joining, as you are supposed to do..... it isn't the speed, it's a poorly positioned sign.

You're correct, that sign is very badly positioned. It is very easy to miss the sign when building up your speed to match that of those on the carriageway for a seamless entry. Even more so, if there are one or two HGV's slightly further ahead positioned in the inside lane, which obstructs your view of the sign completely. I have mentioned to numerous people, that there should be a digital sign on the slip road itself to inform the user of the reduction in speed.
Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 11:48 - Mar 26 with 1308 viewsstonojnr

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 10:34 - Mar 26 by Double_Dutch

You're correct, that sign is very badly positioned. It is very easy to miss the sign when building up your speed to match that of those on the carriageway for a seamless entry. Even more so, if there are one or two HGV's slightly further ahead positioned in the inside lane, which obstructs your view of the sign completely. I have mentioned to numerous people, that there should be a digital sign on the slip road itself to inform the user of the reduction in speed.

so if theres no gap, and youve already matched your speed with traffic on the carriageway for your seamless entry, what do you do next ?
Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 12:24 - Mar 26 with 1234 viewsITFC_Forever

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 11:48 - Mar 26 by stonojnr

so if theres no gap, and youve already matched your speed with traffic on the carriageway for your seamless entry, what do you do next ?

Slow down and wait for a gap.... (or push your way in)?

Either way, your focus is on the A14 to your right, not a hard-to-read sign that if you were unfamiliar with the sliproad you wouldn't know is there on the left.

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 12:46 - Mar 26 with 1173 viewstextbackup

Maybe they were worried all the bridge in the world were under attack

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 15:38 - Mar 26 with 989 viewsPinewoodblue

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 12:24 - Mar 26 by ITFC_Forever

Slow down and wait for a gap.... (or push your way in)?

Either way, your focus is on the A14 to your right, not a hard-to-read sign that if you were unfamiliar with the sliproad you wouldn't know is there on the left.

Doesn’t your car pick up, and display, speed limits.

Mine has the annoying habit of telling me, as I approach Werstead junction heading East that speed limit on A14 is 50mph. Poorly aligned speed limit sign on the off slip. Same happens heading south on A12 at Ardleigh.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 15:46 - Mar 26 with 966 viewsITFC_Forever

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 15:38 - Mar 26 by Pinewoodblue

Doesn’t your car pick up, and display, speed limits.

Mine has the annoying habit of telling me, as I approach Werstead junction heading East that speed limit on A14 is 50mph. Poorly aligned speed limit sign on the off slip. Same happens heading south on A12 at Ardleigh.

It does, but they are not always correct, especially in a changable zone like the Orwell Bridge.

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 16:04 - Mar 26 with 918 viewswitchdoctor

yeah..that nearly caught me out as well..
Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 16:27 - Mar 26 with 883 viewsDeano69

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 09:43 - Mar 26 by Tangledupin_Blue

depends if theres a row of slow moving lorries masking the signs

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 16:36 - Mar 26 with 857 viewsbluelagos

They are repairing it now. One lane closed both ways, so expect some fun getting home.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 17:37 - Mar 26 with 769 viewsTrequartista

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 16:36 - Mar 26 by bluelagos

They are repairing it now. One lane closed both ways, so expect some fun getting home.

They have chosen to repair it in rush hour? They're just trolling us all now.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 18:45 - Mar 26 with 697 viewsbournemouthblue

Orwell Bridge set at 40 for some reason this morning.... on 16:36 - Mar 26 by bluelagos

That's what caused the mayhem through town then

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024