Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wow, what a crazy opportunity we've got 09:41 - Apr 10 with 2551 viewsSomethingBlue

It seems fairly clear that all three of the contenders – us, Leicester, Leeds – have a few issues at the moment and there will be further stumbles ahead for everyone. It's the nature of the beast and suddenly all of the run-ins look a bit sticky. We need to be very kind to these players and forget about last Saturday in particular, because it will give us the best possible chance.

Have had tonight marked down as a potential problem for some time, so let's hope it's more like the Hull game where we thoroughly outdrilled a bunch of talented but mercurial individuals. A useful coping mechanism is this: if it turns out we can't win it, hopefully we can draw it and that will still mean we've matched Leeds. We don't need to do anything more than that over the next few weeks.

Two wins in the next four days can put us right on the brink though, there's no hiding that. Hope those going tonight can make it another big atmosphere and one to remember, the players may need dragging over the line but it's doable.

[Post edited 10 Apr 9:42]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Even I'm bothering making the trip on a weekday night on 09:45 - Apr 10 with 2457 viewsDyland

Unusual :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Even I'm bothering making the trip on a weekday night on 09:48 - Apr 10 with 2440 viewsSomethingBlue

Even I'm bothering making the trip on a weekday night on 09:45 - Apr 10 by Dyland

Some of us will be watching on absolutely terrified through a laptop screen in Malmo, so I'm very much not able to practice what I preach.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Wow, what a crazy opportunity we've got on 09:48 - Apr 10 with 2433 viewsle2blue

Exciting. It's time to embrace the pressure push to our max and get over the line. Hopefully, this is where KM can lean on his experience of last season when Wednesday opened the door and we capitalised big time with some huge wins. I definitely get the impression that Maresca is feeling the heat having never been in this situation.

IF, IF we're able to get two wins I also think the 2-week break is going to be massive for us, recovery for the squad and getting two big players back for the final week could be key in clinching it. Will also ratchet up the pressure on the other teams, with Preston away and Boro away not looking nice places to go.
Wow, what a crazy opportunity we've got on 09:50 - Apr 10 with 2396 viewsportmanking

Cleverley has already said they won't be sitting back and anticipates an attacking game. I hope that plays into our hands and we can exploit their lack of football IQ. As you say, a team of physical specimens with genuine flair and unpredictability. Probably explains why they are where they are. However, we're now at the tipping point. Our players have a chance to make genuine history. If that doesn't spur them on over the next 4 weeks, I don't know what will.
Wow, what a crazy opportunity we've got on 09:54 - Apr 10 with 2348 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Well said, whilst Saturday hurt, objectively it wasn’t a huge deal. We are still THE form team in the league over the last 12 games. All 3 teams will drop more points over the last few games, probably in matches where we don’t expect it.

Whilst on paper Leeds and Leicester look like the obvious favourites, do they have the mentality and strength of mind for it. We know from last season our players DO and that they won’t crack. How will the likes of Dewsbury-hall and Bamford perform under so much pressure (evidence is not that well given they bottled the relegation battle).
Wow, what a crazy opportunity we've got on 09:54 - Apr 10 with 2341 viewsHerbivore

We've generally been finding ways to win more consistently than the other two of late. Cardiff was a bit of a freak one conceding two in stoppage time like that and the Norwich game was always going to be tough and it was still a rather spawny 1-0. I think our experience from last season helps us, we have experience of blocking out the noise and just focusing on the next match and McKenna leads from the front on that. Focus on tonight, perform at our best and we should win. Then on to Saturday where we go again. It's in our hands.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Wow, what a crazy opportunity we've got on 09:55 - Apr 10 with 2337 viewsjayessess

Watford were brilliant for the first 45 minutes when they played Leeds, but ceded control of the game after half time and were a bit fortunate to take a point. Another big second half might be necessary tonight.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Even I'm bothering making the trip on a weekday night on 09:55 - Apr 10 with 2323 viewsMullet

Even I'm bothering making the trip on a weekday night on 09:45 - Apr 10 by Dyland

Gloryhunting wazzock x

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

Even I'm bothering making the trip on a weekday night on 10:09 - Apr 10 with 2159 viewshomer_123

Even I'm bothering making the trip on a weekday night on 09:55 - Apr 10 by Mullet

Gloryhunting wazzock x

Wazzock - an under utilised word!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Wow, what a crazy opportunity we've got on 10:17 - Apr 10 with 2108 viewsLankHenners

Watford with nothing to play for worries me a bit as their attackers are very much the type that enjoy playing with freedom and they're clearly motivated under Cleverley. Don't think we dealt with their pace down the sides very well at their place, and Burns being out is a big miss for tonight imo in that respect. Hopefully at home we can take the game to them a bit more and make the most of them exposing themselves a bit which they'll do.

Certainly get the impression that if we were in no man's land right now we'd be resting quite a few but a bit of good fortune that we have two home games back to back here rather than having to deal with any travel.

Am leaning towards seeing Hull and Coventry away in quick succession, with the former kicking off at 8pm, as a bad thing for us but the break could be a real blessing if we can get Burns and Hirst to a point they can contribute anything at all plus get some others who are clearly soldiering on some time to recover.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Wow, what a crazy opportunity we've got on 10:17 - Apr 10 with 2094 viewsEuropablue

Wow, what a crazy opportunity we've got on 09:54 - Apr 10 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Well said, whilst Saturday hurt, objectively it wasn’t a huge deal. We are still THE form team in the league over the last 12 games. All 3 teams will drop more points over the last few games, probably in matches where we don’t expect it.

Whilst on paper Leeds and Leicester look like the obvious favourites, do they have the mentality and strength of mind for it. We know from last season our players DO and that they won’t crack. How will the likes of Dewsbury-hall and Bamford perform under so much pressure (evidence is not that well given they bottled the relegation battle).

Relegated teams have an in-built weakness as, as you pointed out, they weren't mentally strong enough to stay up.
Leicester also have to contend with having blown a seemingly unassailable lead. I never thought that they were that good, being in a battle for the top two is more their level.
We have been fairly consistent. We haven't had any major runs of incredible form or poor form.
Although we narrowly lost against both Cardiff and Norwich, we haven't drawn for a long time. In the long run a couple of losses is not that damaging, but a run of draws will be much worse.
If we win tonight we could be favourites to win (not with the media of course). If we lose tonight we look more likely to finish third. The margins are extremely tight.
twonk on 10:45 - Apr 10 with 1874 viewsDyland

Even I'm bothering making the trip on a weekday night on 09:55 - Apr 10 by Mullet

Gloryhunting wazzock x

nfft

Even I'm bothering making the trip on a weekday night on 11:24 - Apr 10 with 1687 viewsGuthrum

Even I'm bothering making the trip on a weekday night on 10:09 - Apr 10 by homer_123

Isn't that the messaging app for Northerners?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Wow, what a crazy opportunity we've got on 11:40 - Apr 10 with 1566 viewstractorboy1978

It's hard for me to see Leeds/Leicester not dropping points again now. No game is easy at this stage but there are too many genuine tough fixtures in there. Leicester have got WBA, Southampton and Preston (always a horrible place to go). Leeds have Southampton and an away game at a resurgent Boro. And draws are basically as bad as losses for Leeds in particular at this stage. We can afford one draw and still be ahead of them.

I think it's a benefit that until the final day Leeds are playing before us. I guess you could argue that either way though, and whether that's a positive will depend how Leeds do before we play. If we win tonight and they fail to beat Blackburn at midday on Saturday, we are going to be in a hell of a position!

McKenna won't be looking too far ahead but we just need to be in a position where a win at home to Huddersfield guarantees us promotion.
[Post edited 10 Apr 11:43]
Wow, what a crazy opportunity we've got on 11:41 - Apr 10 with 1553 viewsSacrebleu

Wow, what a crazy opportunity we've got on 10:17 - Apr 10 by Europablue

Relegated teams have an in-built weakness as, as you pointed out, they weren't mentally strong enough to stay up.
Leicester also have to contend with having blown a seemingly unassailable lead. I never thought that they were that good, being in a battle for the top two is more their level.
We have been fairly consistent. We haven't had any major runs of incredible form or poor form.
Although we narrowly lost against both Cardiff and Norwich, we haven't drawn for a long time. In the long run a couple of losses is not that damaging, but a run of draws will be much worse.
If we win tonight we could be favourites to win (not with the media of course). If we lose tonight we look more likely to finish third. The margins are extremely tight.

Hopefully our League 1 promotion push and all the stress involved in that will help the players hold their nerve. We’re not in unfamiliar territory.
Wow, what a crazy opportunity we've got on 12:29 - Apr 10 with 1331 viewsBloomBlue

It's squeaky bum time.

Not trying to be rude but Sir Alex (who let's face it the brown stuff coming out of his bottom probably knows more about football than anyone on this site) always said about this time of the season, strange things happen, performances can suddenly drop. Even the most experienced, confident player/team is affected by squeaky bum time.
So I don't think it's issues as such the pressure is getting to everyone

Taking each game at a time is even more important now. Too many fans try and second guess all the various permutations.
Even I'm bothering making the trip on a weekday night on 13:48 - Apr 10 with 1072 viewsMullet

Even I'm bothering making the trip on a weekday night on 10:09 - Apr 10 by homer_123

Especially in the case of Dyllers innit. The massive wazzock!

twonk on 13:50 - Apr 10 with 1055 viewsMullet

twonk on 10:45 - Apr 10 by Dyland

nfft

That too!

Even I'm bothering making the trip on a weekday night on 13:50 - Apr 10 with 1038 viewsMullet

Even I'm bothering making the trip on a weekday night on 11:24 - Apr 10 by Guthrum

Isn't that the messaging app for Northerners?

Have a v for that Guffers!

Wow, what a crazy opportunity we've got on 14:20 - Apr 10 with 848 viewsdirtyboy

One game at a time. Do not look at table. One game at a time.
Why you.... on 14:33 - Apr 10 with 781 viewsDyland

twonk on 13:50 - Apr 10 by Mullet

That too!

grrrrrrrr

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024