Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? 09:08 - Apr 24 with 2986 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One game for promotion. Everyone back fit by then as well.

However, the opponents are Norwich.

It's a tricky one. Initial thought is automatic is still in our hands... however it's going to be tough. Or a one off game against arguably the weakest play off team.

Problem is, it's them. I'm undecided, but veering towards 'take the final v Nodge'.
[Post edited 24 Apr 9:09]

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Nope. (n/t) on 09:10 - Apr 24 with 2359 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 09:12 - Apr 24 with 2350 viewsPrideOfTheEast

No! One game at a time, and we have a decent chance of winning all 3. Think of the momentum if we win at Hull on Saturday night.
If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 09:17 - Apr 24 with 2307 viewsunbelievablue

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 09:12 - Apr 24 by PrideOfTheEast

No! One game at a time, and we have a decent chance of winning all 3. Think of the momentum if we win at Hull on Saturday night.

Yep. Beat Hull and everyone will truly believe. Cov will be knackered and out of it, and Hudds will be down.

Not to mention if QPR get a result against Leeds, we'd only need to win two!

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 09:21 - Apr 24 with 2271 viewsDubtractor

No.

As of today we have 2 good chances of promotion, either automatic or through the playoffs, and that would narrow it down to one chance.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 09:40 - Apr 24 with 2173 viewsEuropablue

If you were offered 7th place right now, would you take it?
I don't know if I'd even take first place right now, the whole point is the journey.
If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 09:46 - Apr 24 with 2126 viewsblueasfook

Nope, all this championship stuff is far too stressful. I want to be back in league one where life was simpler.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:06 - Apr 24 with 2045 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 09:40 - Apr 24 by Europablue

If you were offered 7th place right now, would you take it?
I don't know if I'd even take first place right now, the whole point is the journey.

Very odd response, and very odd downarrow to boot. I only asked a hypothetical question FFS.

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:09 - Apr 24 with 2027 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 09:21 - Apr 24 by Dubtractor

No.

As of today we have 2 good chances of promotion, either automatic or through the playoffs, and that would narrow it down to one chance.

More chances to fail though. Two very difficult away games coming up, and you'd think we have to win at least one of them. Then if we don't make it that way you've got the semis to get through before the final.

Login to get fewer ads

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:12 - Apr 24 with 2000 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 09:17 - Apr 24 by unbelievablue

Yep. Beat Hull and everyone will truly believe. Cov will be knackered and out of it, and Hudds will be down.

Not to mention if QPR get a result against Leeds, we'd only need to win two!

All very well, but just saying "beat Hull" doesn't make it any easier.

I take everyone's points (except Europa, who I don't even understand) but I'm still a bit undecided.

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:15 - Apr 24 with 1963 viewsunbelievablue

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:12 - Apr 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

All very well, but just saying "beat Hull" doesn't make it any easier.

I take everyone's points (except Europa, who I don't even understand) but I'm still a bit undecided.

My opinion is that you'd be mad to take Wembley as of now. Mad.

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:21 - Apr 24 with 1930 viewstextbackup

Wow

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:29 - Apr 24 with 1899 viewsGuthrum

No, we're one point behind 2nd with a game in hand. There's still plenty to play for as we are.

Should we fail, there's still the safety-net of the play-offs, in which we will be the strongest team.

I'll take two extended chances over a one-off game.
[Post edited 24 Apr 10:29]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:31 - Apr 24 with 1882 viewsEuropablue

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:06 - Apr 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

Very odd response, and very odd downarrow to boot. I only asked a hypothetical question FFS.

A downarrow is never really odd now is it? If you ask a binary question, the up arrow is yes, the down arrow is no. Why did you downarrow my hypothetical question. I think actually taking 7th place right now would have great consequences for my health, my work, and my relationships!
I'm sorry if you were not the one who deserved my wrath. I'm totally sick of all the negative threads of people being doom mongers when we haven't even played a match since they were confident. I might have wrapped you in with those people, so I'm sorry if that's not you.
I still think it's a bit of a stupid hypothetical because we have the opportunity to play three teams who are probably playing for nothing by the time we play them, two of which we have already beaten fairly comfortably, and the other one is the second worst team in the league at home as well as Leeds having two matches that look trickier against QPR away and on the last day of the season needing a win they could very well slip up against Southampton. We'd be trading that very good opportunity that is based much more on our performance than luck for a one off game that could turn on a misfortune like a key injury, or a red card, or a penalty or whatever against the top team that has made it to the final. If we do have to go into the playoffs then if we deserve it over two matches in the playoff semifinal, we will make it to the final anyway.
If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:35 - Apr 24 with 1868 viewsGuthrum

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:09 - Apr 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

More chances to fail though. Two very difficult away games coming up, and you'd think we have to win at least one of them. Then if we don't make it that way you've got the semis to get through before the final.

But in a one-off game, things can go wrong. A dodgy red card, someone key gets injured, freak goals. Could end up with something as random as penalties. No opportunity to even it out.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:37 - Apr 24 with 1858 viewsunbelievablue

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:35 - Apr 24 by Guthrum

But in a one-off game, things can go wrong. A dodgy red card, someone key gets injured, freak goals. Could end up with something as random as penalties. No opportunity to even it out.

Exactly. Probability theory.

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:43 - Apr 24 with 1807 viewsFtnfwest

Good god no, for all the reasons below but also i've quite got used to and like the fact we are one of very few clubs now to never play at the new Wembley.
If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:54 - Apr 24 with 1755 viewslowhouseblue

calm down and have a bit of faith. it's in our hands. i hope mckenna has a social media ban in place to keep the players away from this festival of panicky flapping. jeez.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:08 - Apr 24 with 1710 viewsExiled2Surrey

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:35 - Apr 24 by Guthrum

What I mean to say here was that we are unbeaten at the new Wembley - so there is that…
[Post edited 24 Apr 12:18]
If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 11:40 - Apr 24 with 1609 views_clive_baker_

On balance...nah, wouldn't right now as I would say we've got a 40% chance of top 2, which probably becomes a 50%+ chance if Leeds don't win Friday.

Worst case we're finishing 3rd and have a shot at promotion through the playoffs anyway (admittedly from a Semi final stage, not final as in your scenario.
If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 11:46 - Apr 24 with 1564 viewsBiGDonnie

Beat Hull on Saturday and I think we'll finish top two.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 11:48 - Apr 24 with 1559 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:31 - Apr 24 by Europablue

A downarrow is never really odd now is it? If you ask a binary question, the up arrow is yes, the down arrow is no. Why did you downarrow my hypothetical question. I think actually taking 7th place right now would have great consequences for my health, my work, and my relationships!
I'm sorry if you were not the one who deserved my wrath. I'm totally sick of all the negative threads of people being doom mongers when we haven't even played a match since they were confident. I might have wrapped you in with those people, so I'm sorry if that's not you.
I still think it's a bit of a stupid hypothetical because we have the opportunity to play three teams who are probably playing for nothing by the time we play them, two of which we have already beaten fairly comfortably, and the other one is the second worst team in the league at home as well as Leeds having two matches that look trickier against QPR away and on the last day of the season needing a win they could very well slip up against Southampton. We'd be trading that very good opportunity that is based much more on our performance than luck for a one off game that could turn on a misfortune like a key injury, or a red card, or a penalty or whatever against the top team that has made it to the final. If we do have to go into the playoffs then if we deserve it over two matches in the playoff semifinal, we will make it to the final anyway.

You can have an up-arrow for this post, explains your position much clearer. Yes, you make some good points there. I am actually one of the more positive people on here and have got grief for being too positive!

It was just a musing, really. All hypothetical questions area bit stupid because we don't have that choice in the matter. Maybe I've put too much weight on Hull and Cov, particularly with them being away. And I kind of wanted to get away from the prevalent narrative that Nodge would beat us in the playoffs.

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 11:50 - Apr 24 with 1542 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 10:54 - Apr 24 by lowhouseblue

calm down and have a bit of faith. it's in our hands. i hope mckenna has a social media ban in place to keep the players away from this festival of panicky flapping. jeez.

Where am I panicky flapping?! I just asked a hypothetical question and hadn't made a decision on the answer. I'm perfectly calm, thanks.

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 12:07 - Apr 24 with 1479 viewsArnoldMoorhen

We currently have an approximately evens chance of automatic promotion, and if we fail in that we then have a 25%+ (based on past results, 3rd place is an advantage) chance via the Play Offs.

So stats says "No".

Against that: what will the effect be on morale if we don't perform in the next three, and go into the Play Offs in moderate or poor form? And others in the Play Offs will have put a decent run together and achieved their objectives, so what impact will that have on their morale?

I think my answer is: can we leave the offer on the table until after our next game, please?
If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 12:21 - Apr 24 with 1390 viewsJ2BLUE

No.

A rested and hopefully recovered squad led by McKenna who have shown so much bottle over the season have my full faith. Sorry Klopp, Ipswich are the new mentality monsters.

You can imagine the scene at training today. I doubt anyone even mentioned last night. McKenna will have been saying it's irrelevant, we need to win all three from the beginning.

I hope QPR do us a favour but I am sure McKenna has been drumming it into the squad that all we need to think about is winning those three games.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 13:56 - Apr 24 with 1181 viewsbilllm

If you were offered the play off final right now, would you take it? on 09:46 - Apr 24 by blueasfook

Nope, all this championship stuff is far too stressful. I want to be back in league one where life was simpler.

Funny I like that,
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024