Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are town well primed for the prem? 23:07 - May 11 with 3318 viewsFrimleyBlue

Having a think about it tonight..

It's well known over the past 2 seasons that we don't have a specific formation it's more 'roles' of individuals and phases of play. Double pivots etc etc.

We've gone from controlling games with the ball in league 1. To begin more direct in the championship as KM has himself explained.

So whilst there's talk of the 3 clubs coming down and why town are different... is the difference the fact we have indeed had 2 seasons of playing variable forms of style that puts us in a great position going into the highest league where you effectively have to mould both styles onto one..

I hope the above makes sense. I know what I'm getting at but sometimes it doesn't come across right.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Are town well primed for the prem? on 23:25 - May 11 with 2816 viewsdavblue

There’s a lot of noise around the 3 relegated clubs this year.

Sheffield utd sold their best players and didn’t spend much at all, really for them it was about getting their house in order.

Luton been a club on the up but not really ready to have a proper go.

Burnley have been an established premier league team, try and play expansive football and have fallen short.

From the outside, I feel like we are in a similar position to Luton when they got promoted to the prem as to the clubs relative positions. You could argue we are ahead of them in terms of the ‘project’ having done back to back promotions. We play a very different style to Luton, it feels more like Burnley’s style of play, so it’s hard to judge if we are primed for it or not.

I feel like we could surprise people but we might well struggle. We’ve got to be a better club than when we got promoted if we do fail next year.
Are town well primed for the prem? on 00:02 - May 12 with 2686 viewsRIPbobby

Are town well primed for the prem? on 23:25 - May 11 by davblue

Sheffield utd sold their best players and didn’t spend much at all, really for them it was about getting their house in order.

Burnley have been an established premier league team, try and play expansive football and have fallen short.

From the outside, I feel like we are in a similar position to Luton when they got promoted to the prem as to the clubs relative positions. You could argue we are ahead of them in terms of the ‘project’ having done back to back promotions. We play a very different style to Luton, it feels more like Burnley’s style of play, so it’s hard to judge if we are primed for it or not.

I feel like we could surprise people but we might well struggle. We’ve got to be a better club than when we got promoted if we do fail next year.

Kieran will get in 3 or 4 players and we will stick with a similar formula. Less games and much more analysis means we will unpick lots of teams. Knowing how KM works I think we will get close to top 10.
Are town well primed for the prem? on 02:19 - May 12 with 2535 viewsGuthrum

McKenna has three-and-a-half seasons experience assistant managing in the Prem. He knows what's needed, how the various types of team, play. He has already had to work out ways of countering anyone from Man City to Fulham.

He also has a core of players whose skills and limitations he is extremely familiar with.

All he has to do is put the two parts together.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are town well primed for the prem? on 04:00 - May 12 with 2472 viewskiwiblue

Are town well primed for the prem? on 02:19 - May 12 by Guthrum

McKenna has three-and-a-half seasons experience assistant managing in the Prem. He knows what's needed, how the various types of team, play. He has already had to work out ways of countering anyone from Man City to Fulham.

He also has a core of players whose skills and limitations he is extremely familiar with.

It will be an interesting challenge and will test how flexible he and the team can be and are. looking forward to the watch. Hope towntv come to the party with live coverage for those of us in the wild better than this season.
Are town well primed for the prem? on 06:40 - May 12 with 2339 viewsBramidan

There are 3 “mini leagues” in the premiership.
The big hitters, those clubs we expect to be in the top 6, although there is always one or two surprises!
Let’s face it no great expectation we will get any points either home or away.
Next is the “ also rans” capable of pulling off the occasional result but rarely setting the Premiership alight ( Leicester being the obvious exception) We need to garner some points from those fixtures but it will be difficult.
Third are the bottom segment and we will be part of that group. That’s where the relegated clubs will come from, it is therefore imperative that we take maximum points from that group.
That’s where our manager and players will prove their worth.
I have every confidence in our coach/manager and the “process”
We can compete in that segment.
Second next season a bit of a push!
Are town well primed for the prem? on 06:40 - May 12 with 2340 viewsUSA

Are town well primed for the prem? on 02:19 - May 12 by Guthrum

This is a fair comment but it’s all very well knowing their limitations but we have to recognise that limitations may mean we simply cannot execute a specific plan. I wouldn’t want any other manager to be giving it a go mind. In KMc we trust 💙
Are town well primed for the prem? on 06:55 - May 12 with 2292 viewsthe_toff

Until we lose a game and people soil themselves again.

‘Pathetic’ after drawing with Watford wasn’t it?
Are town well primed for the prem? on 08:02 - May 12 with 2145 viewsArchiRob

The criticism of Kompany is that he is unwilling to change tactics and a lot of teams adapt their formation to overload the wings as the defense moves forward. They also concede a high proportion of set plays.
Can't see Kieran being so inflexible some of the counterattack last season such as Derby away illustrate that

Poll: What best describes Norwich defeat

Login to get fewer ads

Are town well primed for the prem? on 08:14 - May 12 with 2037 viewstractorboy1978

I really hope we have a bit of fortune and the fixture list is kind for the first 4/5 games of the season. It might sound silly but I really think that could make a difference. We want to carry on our winning momentum and see where that takes us.

You look at Burnley this season and 5 of their first 6 games were Man City, Villa, Spurs, Man Utd and Newcastle. They picked up 1 point. Having a fixture list like that straight off the bat is pretty daunting when you are trying to tweak your style slightly and bed 8-10 new players into the squad.
Are town well primed for the prem? on 08:56 - May 12 with 1861 viewsBlue_In_Boston

This last season we picked up very few points from the top six teams. If you take the double over Southampton then it's a very poor total.

Goals conceded is far too many, I don't think we can concede at even that rate and expect to pick up points in the Prem. Not often I agree with Don Goodman but in his piece I do think he is correct that that is where promoted teams need to start. Tighten the defence as scoring 90 goals next season just isn't realistic.

Having said all that I think we can stay up, every confidence that KMK is a realistic and will adapt to give us every chance.
Are town well primed for the prem? on 09:01 - May 12 with 1831 viewsOldsmoker

Are town well primed for the prem? on 08:14 - May 12 by tractorboy1978

I really hope we have a bit of fortune and the fixture list is kind for the first 4/5 games of the season. It might sound silly but I really think that could make a difference. We want to carry on our winning momentum and see where that takes us.

You look at Burnley this season and 5 of their first 6 games were Man City, Villa, Spurs, Man Utd and Newcastle. They picked up 1 point. Having a fixture list like that straight off the bat is pretty daunting when you are trying to tweak your style slightly and bed 8-10 new players into the squad.

That fixture list for Burnley!!!
The EPL weren't doing the fixture list for Burnley to have easy first games but for the top teams to have easy first games.
They'll probably stitch Town up too.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Are town well primed for the prem? on 09:08 - May 12 with 1794 views_clive_baker_

Are town well primed for the prem? on 08:56 - May 12 by Blue_In_Boston

This last season we picked up very few points from the top six teams. If you take the double over Southampton then it's a very poor total.

Goals conceded is far too many, I don't think we can concede at even that rate and expect to pick up points in the Prem. Not often I agree with Don Goodman but in his piece I do think he is correct that that is where promoted teams need to start. Tighten the defence as scoring 90 goals next season just isn't realistic.

Having said all that I think we can stay up, every confidence that KMK is a realistic and will adapt to give us every chance.

Why would you take the 6 points off Southampton out when considering the results against those 5 teams?

Agree about having to be tighter at that back, but that’s true of any team that’s ever been promoted. The reality is the best players in the championship are at best average at premier league level. An ‘easier’ game next year is probably a Leicester, Forest, Bournemouth who are all better than most of the championship. We’ve made a big step already and adapted to it incredibly, but this is a bigger one. McKenna is the man though, I’m sure he’s already planning.
Are town well primed for the prem? on 09:10 - May 12 with 1776 viewsMK1

This is the biggest headache, but also the most intriguing part of the double promotion. We haven't really had the windows to improve the squad to Premier League ready. Obviously so will go and be replaced with better, but it is a difficult one because who really knows, unless you are in McKenna's circle. We can all throw our thought out there and I have no problem with that, but ultimately only McKenna and the board knows the plan.
I think we largely go again with what we have with a few additions to strengthen the matchday squad. We will buy a starting RB for sure and a covering LB I imagine, but after that, I would be purely speculating.
As for our formation and style of play, I imagine a slightly less attack minded approach and a more solid midfield.
Again, I am sure McKenna and his men are all over it. Going to be a very interesting few months and I for one am just going to enjoy the journey.
Are town well primed for the prem? on 10:38 - May 12 with 1565 viewsGuthrum

Are town well primed for the prem? on 06:40 - May 12 by USA

This is a fair comment but it’s all very well knowing their limitations but we have to recognise that limitations may mean we simply cannot execute a specific plan. I wouldn’t want any other manager to be giving it a go mind. In KMc we trust 💙

That's exactly what I mean. He has a very good idea of what is achievable and what is not. Rather than some managers who played their whole senior careers in the Prem and seemingly can't understand why all footballers aren't able to perform to that level.

Are town well primed for the prem? on 10:55 - May 12 with 1531 viewsbazza

Are town well primed for the prem? on 10:38 - May 12 by Guthrum

That's exactly what I mean. He has a very good idea of what is achievable and what is not. Rather than some managers who played their whole senior careers in the Prem and seemingly can't understand why all footballers aren't able to perform to that level.

I think this is a massive part of why McKenna will be so successful, he’s seen first hand player power, and how money can ruin a player, we hand pick individuals with the desire To better themselves, push them selves , and with a desire to play at the top Level, but the ones who Maybe need that extra bit of help, advice , nurturing to bring it out, but the main factor is their character, I really can’t see any £20-£30m signings being made by this club. We will do our business as quietly and efficiently as possible, without blowing big money on fees and high wages. I can see Hutchinson back on loan, after signing a new contract with Chelsea.
Are town well primed for the prem? on 10:58 - May 12 with 1523 viewsbournemouthblue

Burnley didn't keep the key players who got them up either

Tella went to Leverkusen
Maatsen went to Dortmund
Harwood-Bellis went to Southampton

I'm sure there's one or two others, that certainly can't have helped them

It looks like they still played alright football but the replacements for those players, weren't quite as good

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Are town well primed for the prem? on 11:10 - May 12 with 1502 viewsGuthrum

Are town well primed for the prem? on 10:55 - May 12 by bazza

I think this is a massive part of why McKenna will be so successful, he’s seen first hand player power, and how money can ruin a player, we hand pick individuals with the desire To better themselves, push them selves , and with a desire to play at the top Level, but the ones who Maybe need that extra bit of help, advice , nurturing to bring it out, but the main factor is their character, I really can’t see any £20-£30m signings being made by this club. We will do our business as quietly and efficiently as possible, without blowing big money on fees and high wages. I can see Hutchinson back on loan, after signing a new contract with Chelsea.

I could easily see £20m players, because that isn't so much in the Prem nowadays (kind of fee being mooted for a still quite raw youngster like Hutchinson, for example).

What I don't expect is big money spent on individual "stars". That simply isn't the way McKenna has built his squad, or the way the club uses the available funds. We have heretofore worked on balance, with responsibilities shared out (e.g. almost everybody tries to score goals, positions are very fluid, the CF works for the team not the other way around).

Are town well primed for the prem? on 11:23 - May 12 with 1464 viewsFrimleyBlue

Are town well primed for the prem? on 06:55 - May 12 by the_toff

Until we lose a game and people soil themselves again.

‘Pathetic’ after drawing with Watford wasn’t it?

Pathetic. Poor. Shte. Probably Loads more terrible phrases used at times through the season of which apologies have been given out. So thanks for your contribution, not sure what that specifically has to do with town being well primed. But thank you anyway.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Are town well primed for the prem? on 11:34 - May 12 with 1433 viewsCheltenham_Blue

When we we went up in 99/00. We utilised the squad we had and bought very little, finished 5th.
Bought big in the summer to account for European football, and upset the applecart.

We're as primed as we possibly can be, but we are 1 transfer away from disaster, which is why some of the rumours are ridiculous. I've absolute confidence in McK getting this right, in all aspects.
[Post edited 12 May 11:36]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Are town well primed for the prem? on 11:35 - May 12 with 1429 viewsEuropablue

Sheffield Utd. were in a total mess and miraculously they managed to get promoted and that has probably saved them from administration and potentially relegation to League One. We have been getting the whole club in order with the goal of getting to the Premier League eventually. We are ahead of schedule, but actually we are quite well prepared behind the scenes.
Burnley didn't need to compete like we did and their style of play worked so well in the Championship that I don't think they learned to be flexible enough. McKenna has so many different ways he can get the team playing. Looking at our stats, we aren't top of anything like number of passes or number of direct attacks, because we are equally capable of doing both. Kompany comes across as a bit of a purist who is trying to play the Man City way with inferior players. I think McKenna has the advantage of experience and he has been preparing his team for two years, he won't suddenly realize that his style of play doesn't work.
Are town well primed for the prem? on 11:40 - May 12 with 1394 viewsEuropablue

You can only play the league that you are in. The thing is, we will adapt our style of play for the Premier League, so Don is wrong to consider how this team will do in the Prem as is. There will be a fair few new faces, so the possibility is there to stay closer to our principles if we have the right players.
Are town well primed for the prem? on 11:41 - May 12 with 1391 viewsEuropablue

If you take the 6 points we lost to Leeds we look much better if you are taking off the anomalies.
Are town well primed for the prem? on 11:44 - May 12 with 1375 viewsRocky

McKenna's personality is the key. We are clearly going to lose more games next season than we have in the previous two seasons. Managers who enjoy success by fear, who rant at players after a defeat, usually become unstuck when pushed up a division against clearly better sides. Mckenna's calm and tranquil demeanor is a huge asset. When we have lost the odd game this season you wouldn't know it by his reaction. He reassures the players and calmly plans for the next game. This is going to be so important next season.
Are town well primed for the prem? on 11:47 - May 12 with 1361 viewsLancsBlue

The promoted three straight back down thing is a bit misleading. Firstly it's only the second time that has happened since the PL started so is a bit of an exception. Secondly you can see why if you look at each club individually - Luton clearly not ready, Burnley promotion team heavily reliant on loan players that they were unable to secure again and consequently ripped up their team sheet and started again with unproven signings trying to gel into a new team playing naive football. Blades sold their best two players and went into the season with a poorer team than they had in the Championship.

We are more ready than any of those, will keep a core of players and will add quality where required. Most importantly though "We've got Kieran McKenna".

Poll: If you watch Town less often than in the past, what is the main reason?

Are town well primed for the prem? on 11:54 - May 12 with 1341 viewsjayessess

Realistically, almost every club promoted to the Prem goes in as favourites to be relegated. You can't build a squad of Premier League players in the Championship and when you're promoted you are competing with another 10 bottom half teams who all want the same kind of players you want.

Yet prior to this season, the survival rate for newly promoted teams isn't actually so bad:
2022-23 3/3 survived
2021-22 1/3
2020-21 2/3
2019-20 2/3
2018-19 1/3

That's 9/15 or 60%. For clubs promoted without parachute payments the survival rate was actually slightly better (6/9 or 67%). I wonder if there's a premium there for teams that have managed it without overwhelming resources and therefore must logically have something about them off the pitch?

Of the last 7 non-parachute teams in the Prem, 5 survived their first season (Forest, Brentford, Leeds, Villa, Sheffield United vs Norwich and Luton in the other column).
[Post edited 12 May 11:57]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024