Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... 13:27 - May 23 with 5330 viewsitfcjoe

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/sport/football/article/brighton-chelsea-kieran-mckenn

I think come the end of next week, or earlier, KMc is goign to realise his options are Ipswich or Brighton, as we thought they were at the end of last week.....and then he has that decision to make

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 14:57 - May 23 with 1266 viewsHerbivore

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 14:44 - May 23 by SitfcB

I think Utd will go for Poch. They can’t be appointing someone like McKenna right now. Think all this hoo-ha with Chelsea and Brighton is manufactured so Man Utd have to act quick after the cup final and may be tempted for McKenna but won’t be…

Chelsea will appoint someone else.

McKenna won’t want Brighton. They’ll get Potter.

He stays here, keeps us up and goes with legendary status next summer.

In my dreams anyway.

I also happen to think your scenario is the most likely, but I wouldn't put any money on it. We're in for a nervy few days at least.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:01 - May 23 with 1226 viewsSmithersJones

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 14:38 - May 23 by hype313

Surely he's been having his say in the background

The legal case between Newcastle and Man U is getting very tetchy. As of now his garden leave doesn’t expire until some time in 2025. And if there is a vacancy at Man U then Newcastle will be watching very carefully for any hint that he’s breaking his garden leave clause.
Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:04 - May 23 with 1183 viewsChurchman

So we wait around until this week, next week, any week at our under contract manager’s behest until McKenna decides which club to choose, who else taps him up or whether to hang around at little stepping stone Ipswich.

If I were the owners or the CEO that is not commitment. It would not be acceptable to me.

All hypothetical and hopefully it’s nonsense and just Sky and the trolls stirring it up. The longer the silence, the more suspicious I get, mind.
Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:06 - May 23 with 1151 viewsGuthrum

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 14:28 - May 23 by bazza

If there’s all this speculation and nothing comes of it And no response from the club, it will look a little bit like McKenna is back here next season with his tail Between his legs, but with a massive point to prove, to the clubs who didn’t take the risk, which could be great for us next season.

Or it will look like McKenna never went anywhere, tail up and raring to go. Which is great for us next season.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:23 - May 23 with 1027 viewsBloomBlue

Then Brighton should be asking to officially talk with him, by showing the Yanks the colour of their money.
Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:28 - May 23 with 972 viewsitfcjoe

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 14:45 - May 23 by tractorboy1978

I was reading he has a very good relationship with Cole Palmer from their time at City. For all they had a good team last year, they were still the best team in the league. Well coached and got 97 points. And expect with Leicester's impending points deduction he'd be quite keen to get out if an opportunity arose.

And I've heard Cole Palmer seriously annoyed at Poch dismissal so they need to protect that relationship as want to build the team around him for the next decade

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:28 - May 23 with 967 viewsitfc48

Disregarding the fact Chelsea are horrible club with a useless owner, it will be very hard to follow in Poch's footsteps as the players have been quite public in their admiration for him on social media.

Often as a manager you're going into the dressing room as a breath of fresh air after the relationship between the former manager and players had broken down. I can think of a few occasions where following on from a popular manager has been a poisoned chalice.
Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:31 - May 23 with 927 viewsBloomBlue

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:28 - May 23 by itfc48

Disregarding the fact Chelsea are horrible club with a useless owner, it will be very hard to follow in Poch's footsteps as the players have been quite public in their admiration for him on social media.

Often as a manager you're going into the dressing room as a breath of fresh air after the relationship between the former manager and players had broken down. I can think of a few occasions where following on from a popular manager has been a poisoned chalice.

Graham Potter to Chelsea being a perfect example.

A manager who lost the dressing room even before he had joined them.
Login to get fewer ads

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:35 - May 23 with 876 viewsBasuco

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 14:37 - May 23 by dowsie3

I don’t post on here much but I will be amazed if KM takes the Brighton job IMO there’s not much upside in taking the Brighton job they have hit there ceiling pretty much he might get them to 7th at a push and that would be a great achievement. His stock would go higher if he stayed here and kept us up . The one I do worry about is Man Utd who finished 8th and whoever gets that job with that squad and money to spend will finish at worse 5th KM I’m sure would deliver champion league football in his first season plus the fact KM is a self confessed Man Utd supporter as a child

I agree, De Zerbi left Brighton due to them selling their best players every year, if KMc is serious about being a top manager, which he should be and will be, he would go to Chelsea or Man Utd, it would not make sense to go to a club that is happy to be mid table with a business model that relies on selling players every year. IMO that is.
Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:35 - May 23 with 869 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:04 - May 23 by Churchman

So we wait around until this week, next week, any week at our under contract manager’s behest until McKenna decides which club to choose, who else taps him up or whether to hang around at little stepping stone Ipswich.

If I were the owners or the CEO that is not commitment. It would not be acceptable to me.

All hypothetical and hopefully it’s nonsense and just Sky and the trolls stirring it up. The longer the silence, the more suspicious I get, mind.

It’s difficult to know what is happening with the silence from all parties. But I agree, at least on the face of it we (the club) are waiting around to see where KM fancies going. It might be that he was never really interested in Brighton, and was using them to leverage interest from Chelsea and United. If Chelsea go for a bigger name, and the United job doesn’t come up/goes to Poch, it looks as though he’s here somewhat reluctantly because he got passed over. That probably doesn’t send a great message to the players either.

I’ll heavily caveat that all of the above may be media bollox, but the silence is deafening and leads to everyone trying to put two and two together from the scraps we are thrown.
Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:41 - May 23 with 797 viewsibbleobble

There’s no decision to make.
Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:44 - May 23 with 764 viewsHerbivore

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:35 - May 23 by SuperKieranMcKenna

It’s difficult to know what is happening with the silence from all parties. But I agree, at least on the face of it we (the club) are waiting around to see where KM fancies going. It might be that he was never really interested in Brighton, and was using them to leverage interest from Chelsea and United. If Chelsea go for a bigger name, and the United job doesn’t come up/goes to Poch, it looks as though he’s here somewhat reluctantly because he got passed over. That probably doesn’t send a great message to the players either.

I’ll heavily caveat that all of the above may be media bollox, but the silence is deafening and leads to everyone trying to put two and two together from the scraps we are thrown.

But what can we expect other than silence? What, realistically, can KM or anyone at the club come out and say? We all know if United come in for him then it's very, very likely he wouldn't be able to turn that job down but he can't exactly announce that publicly and likewise he can't say he will 100% be here next season. Thankfully behind closed doors KM and the team will be quietly getting on with their preparations for next season rather than losing their heads like most of the forum.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:50 - May 23 with 684 viewsLankHenners

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:28 - May 23 by itfcjoe

And I've heard Cole Palmer seriously annoyed at Poch dismissal so they need to protect that relationship as want to build the team around him for the next decade

Most of the squad aren't being particularly shy about showing their annoyance! Another (fairly big) reason why anyone would be a bit mad to go there - don't get off to a flyer and you'll have the players and fans against you and you just don't really recover from that at a big club like that.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:51 - May 23 with 674 viewsOldFart71

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 14:10 - May 23 by BlueBoots

End of next week wouldn't rule out Man Utd being in the mix too; I certainly wouldn't begrudge him the move there if it was offered.

I think McKenna is too smart to take the Chelsea job knowing that if he doesn't hit the ground running he'll be out at Christmas; as for Brighton, he'd be moving to a club with a bit more patience, and where he'll no doubt have a bigger transfer budget, but less say in how it's spent.

I genuinely feel (and hope) he'll still be with us when the season starts; the players will be fired up to prove they're good enough, and I think we're underestimating the attraction of leading that group with the momentum we've built over the past 2 seasons.

You only have to look at the legend that is Frank Lampard who took over after a superb career at Chelsea that this job is a poison chalice. Utd would be a fit, but again look at the managers that followed Sir Alex to see it's no easy job. In fact it's a hell of a job for someone like McKenna to take on. Despite McKenna joining Ipswich mid table Division One the players, or a majority of them where at Town. Utd on the other hand need a lot more than just knitting the side together. Many of their players are totally inconsistent, out of form completely, too old and are players that were perhaps once great, but no longer. With their noisy neighbours City Utd fans want success now not in five years time. But even for a team able to regularly get 76,000 through the turnstiles the investment needed in huge and the once magnetism of a side containing Best, Law and Charlton is no longer there.
Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 15:52 - May 23 with 655 viewsVegtablue

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 14:37 - May 23 by dowsie3

I don’t post on here much but I will be amazed if KM takes the Brighton job IMO there’s not much upside in taking the Brighton job they have hit there ceiling pretty much he might get them to 7th at a push and that would be a great achievement. His stock would go higher if he stayed here and kept us up . The one I do worry about is Man Utd who finished 8th and whoever gets that job with that squad and money to spend will finish at worse 5th KM I’m sure would deliver champion league football in his first season plus the fact KM is a self confessed Man Utd supporter as a child

Many managers understandably live in the present. They assess the resources available for the season ahead. The bookies may be overly generous here, but they're prepared to offer odds of 20/1 on Brighton to be relegated next season. Compare that to our odds of 10/11, or shorter, and it speaks to the general perception that we are far more vulnerable in 24/25. If he leaves us for them it will be because he doesn't fancy a relegation dogfight (and by extension, doesn't believe we're a good bet for avoiding this).
Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 16:32 - May 23 with 496 viewsBossy

Brighton confident of landing McKenna ahead of Chelsea... on 14:16 - May 23 by victorysquad

I can't believe he would move to a club filled with money from Gambling.

"The social impact of gambling can range from productivity loss, bankruptcy, crime, suicide, illness, abuse, divorce and separation, social services and treatment costs. The social impact of gambling is not confined to the problem gambler."

It just does not seem to fit.

I get where you're coming from, but this is the entire football industry, Some clubs are owned by states with the very worst human rights in the world.

They take money from gambling companies, evil states and the such then also do some local community good will stuff and that seems to enable them to sleep well at night.

Sadly it's the industry.

Poll: Should there be stickied threads for hot topics (e.g. matchday/McKenna rumours)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024