Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loving Burnham's visions and promises 14:55 - Sep 29 with 7700 viewsNthQldITFC

To paraphrase: "I may have to pay a political price, but I'm going to do these things that our country needs."

Cue the usual, fossilised cynicism from both sides of the spectrum, but I have a good feeling about this bloke.

It won't be possible to achieve everything, but I'd rather someone took a political risk and gave it a bloody good go - there's no point pissing around with an eye on five years time, we need some fundamental change based on all of us, first of all, providing a solid, social base, and developing responsibly from there where possible.

Good work by Philogene...... GREAT WORK BY PHILOGENE!!!
Poll: How would you feel about a UK Identity Card?

23
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 14:46 - Sep 30 with 729 viewsmellowblue

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 14:10 - Sep 30 by DJR

As a pensioner, I wouldn't disagree with you.

But it is still supposed to make significant savings in the long run, spending that has up to now been baked into OBR forecasts and so limited the Government's scope for manoeuvre.

And increasing it by slightly more than inflation will benefit future pensioners, many of whom may not be able to provide for retirement.
[Post edited 30 Sep 14:18]


With inflation likely to drift upwards this year and next which will push up pensions more than hoped, loss of much of the spending headroom, rising borrowing commitments etc, it is hard to see where the spending for the new shiny social care is going to come from. It all sounds like a wishlist to me to keep the troops happy at the conference.
2
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 14:53 - Sep 30 with 704 viewsRadlett_blue

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 14:46 - Sep 30 by mellowblue

With inflation likely to drift upwards this year and next which will push up pensions more than hoped, loss of much of the spending headroom, rising borrowing commitments etc, it is hard to see where the spending for the new shiny social care is going to come from. It all sounds like a wishlist to me to keep the troops happy at the conference.


Indeed, while Burnham is an impressive presenter & I'm willing to believe he genuinely does want to improve the lot of the ordinary person, he also has shown to resolve to take tough decisions, which is what we need PMs to do, especially one with a huge majority. Delaying the abandoning of the triple lock until 2030 is a good case in point. He may be just another plastic populist who achieves very little.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 15:05 - Sep 30 with 664 viewsWolfshead

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 20:34 - Sep 29 by Guthrum

What about people who are working, but don't earn enough to live, so need supplementary benefits?


They would come under the "for example".

Poll: Delap, Flemming, Abraham ? - Which WOULD you have chosen

0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 16:03 - Sep 30 with 582 viewsDJR

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 14:21 - Sep 30 by balcombeblue

On pensions, I would welcome a reality check with people of my generation (let's say those born in the 80's).

I have never considered that I would get a bean from the state pension, despite paying plenty of NI for both employers and employee. I think more people of my age and younger need to face this reality.


I think the issue though is that many people of that age can't afford to contribute to a decent personal pension for reasons like low income, student loans and high housing costs.

Therefore, I think the state pension needs to remain.

Perhaps a conversation then needs to take place about whether people with private pension and other income above a certain figure (say, £50,000) should not get the state pension, should get it at a reduced amount, or should only get CPI increases.
[Post edited 30 Sep 16:06]
0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 16:07 - Sep 30 with 564 viewsbalcombeblue

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 16:03 - Sep 30 by DJR

I think the issue though is that many people of that age can't afford to contribute to a decent personal pension for reasons like low income, student loans and high housing costs.

Therefore, I think the state pension needs to remain.

Perhaps a conversation then needs to take place about whether people with private pension and other income above a certain figure (say, £50,000) should not get the state pension, should get it at a reduced amount, or should only get CPI increases.
[Post edited 30 Sep 16:06]


Is your private pension giving you £49,999 a year by any chance? 🤣
1
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 16:21 - Sep 30 with 545 viewsSarge

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 16:30 - Sep 29 by FrimleyBlue

Consumers aren't choosing them though, They are being forced to use them.


I choose them. They’re vastly superior to waiting for 3 trolley loads of the weekly shop when all you want to buy is a sandwich.
1
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 16:22 - Sep 30 with 539 viewsDJR

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 16:07 - Sep 30 by balcombeblue

Is your private pension giving you £49,999 a year by any chance? 🤣


I am actually pretty well off, final salary pension and all that, and would not object, say, to CPI for the uprate, although it might be more difficult to legally to take away the state pension from me.

The five friends I go to the football with also all have final salary pensions, and it is because we are so lucky, that I feel for those younger than me who are not so fortunate.

I might add that only 2 of us went to university.
[Post edited 30 Sep 16:27]
1
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 16:30 - Sep 30 with 517 viewsMullet

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 11:45 - Sep 30 by baxterbasics

Not poured over the details yet, so based on headlines and general chatter:

Triple lock - no issue with this being scrapped or at least watered down

Social Care - great that it's finally being looked at, how will it be paid for? Bearing in mind the next point:

Defence spending - The very issue our current chancellor resigned his last job over. Anything on this or are we just kicking the can down the road some more? Hoping Russia just pipes down for a bit?

Welfare reform - is this rocketing bill now ignored too? Need to stop paying people to not work just because they feel a bit sad.

He's promising lots of nice ambitious things that sound good but I'm taxed up the wazoo as it is. Likewise SMEs who really need a break if they are going to provide any growth. If they find an effective way to make wealth pay for most of it, great, but I predict they wont.

Have to agree, though, with the general consensus that it's much easier to like 'our Andy' compared to the last half dozen or so incumbents - but that's not a very high bar is it?


Ignorant, offensive arsehole of a comment on mental health there.

You should be ashamed of yourself

Poll: Which itfc kit do you usually buy
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

5
Login to get fewer ads

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 17:03 - Sep 30 with 460 viewsPinewoodblue

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 16:03 - Sep 30 by DJR

I think the issue though is that many people of that age can't afford to contribute to a decent personal pension for reasons like low income, student loans and high housing costs.

Therefore, I think the state pension needs to remain.

Perhaps a conversation then needs to take place about whether people with private pension and other income above a certain figure (say, £50,000) should not get the state pension, should get it at a reduced amount, or should only get CPI increases.
[Post edited 30 Sep 16:06]


Surprisingly only 50% of those on the new state pension receive the full amount. Some may have another source of income but the rest are entitled to pension credit, although around 900,000 entitled to it don’t claim.

Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

1
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 17:20 - Sep 30 with 433 viewsDJR

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 17:03 - Sep 30 by Pinewoodblue

Surprisingly only 50% of those on the new state pension receive the full amount. Some may have another source of income but the rest are entitled to pension credit, although around 900,000 entitled to it don’t claim.


I ended up about 20p short but didn't think it was worth buying an extra year (at something like £850) to make up the difference.
[Post edited 30 Sep 17:22]
0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 17:44 - Sep 30 with 399 viewsBenters

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 11:28 - Sep 30 by NthQldITFC

You spout more sh!t than Dumb'n'old Tr*mp, and that really is saying something.

You arguably have the lovable idiot thing that poor old miserable Dumb'n'old doesn't, but by god, it's a thin veneer.

Right wing, anti-social, pig-thick irresponsibility is so 'last year'.





Is it because I won the TWTD Award ?

Gentlybentley
Poll: Which is best Cycling or Running,i will go for cycling as you are sitting down

0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 17:58 - Sep 30 with 375 viewsWeWereZombies

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 16:21 - Sep 30 by Sarge

I choose them. They’re vastly superior to waiting for 3 trolley loads of the weekly shop when all you want to buy is a sandwich.


I had a squint at Google earlier, apparently the first self service checkout was introduced in Georgia, USA in 1986 and Sainsbury's plus Tesco started their roll out in 2003. This isn't a sudden phenomenon that can be attributed to current economic pressures. Like you I often used to get the jump on the tills by using one but if I had a bigger shop, and if I knew who was on the till, I would use them and have a chat as I packed my groceries. However increasing hearing loss has made that problematic now and I find using a self service checkout a boon as I can do it without hearing aids.

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:07 - Sep 30 with 364 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 17:58 - Sep 30 by WeWereZombies

I had a squint at Google earlier, apparently the first self service checkout was introduced in Georgia, USA in 1986 and Sainsbury's plus Tesco started their roll out in 2003. This isn't a sudden phenomenon that can be attributed to current economic pressures. Like you I often used to get the jump on the tills by using one but if I had a bigger shop, and if I knew who was on the till, I would use them and have a chat as I packed my groceries. However increasing hearing loss has made that problematic now and I find using a self service checkout a boon as I can do it without hearing aids.


Unexpected item in the bagging area.


I said, "UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA!!"



(Sorry, looked like an open goal there but I may be offside)

Poll: As we are indulging in pointless quesions. If my aunt had balls would she be ...

0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:11 - Sep 30 with 347 viewsWeWereZombies

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:07 - Sep 30 by You_Bloo_Right

Unexpected item in the bagging area.


I said, "UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA!!"



(Sorry, looked like an open goal there but I may be offside)


Hmmm, was watching Scotland's wearying defeat to Switzerland last night and towards the end the commentator mentioned the Swiss manager's difficult journey involving a stop at an airport because he was suffering from a hearing problem. James McFadden chipped in with 'Sorry, what was that ?' a couple of times and then apologised for the Dad joke...

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:14 - Sep 30 with 327 viewsPinewoodblue

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 17:20 - Sep 30 by DJR

I ended up about 20p short but didn't think it was worth buying an extra year (at something like £850) to make up the difference.
[Post edited 30 Sep 17:22]


I’m on the basic state pension with a few add ons plus of course company pensions. The gap between the two pensions widens each year as the add ons are not linked to the triple lock.

Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:19 - Sep 30 with 303 viewsnoggin

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:14 - Sep 30 by Pinewoodblue

I’m on the basic state pension with a few add ons plus of course company pensions. The gap between the two pensions widens each year as the add ons are not linked to the triple lock.


But how does the state pension compare to the rest of Europe?

Poll: Prediction for England v Norway

0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:29 - Sep 30 with 276 viewsWeWereZombies

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:19 - Sep 30 by noggin

But how does the state pension compare to the rest of Europe?


Just had a quick Google and although on the surface we are the worst off of th eG7 delving deeper shows a picture that is as clear as mud...

https://www.independent.co.uk/

Bear in mind, and this is especially pertinent for those in the United States, that few nations can offer a no charge or insurance proof at the point of delivery for health services that compare with the United Kingdom. If social care can be added to that then we are streets ahead of the rest.

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:32 - Sep 30 with 273 viewsnoggin

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:29 - Sep 30 by WeWereZombies

Just had a quick Google and although on the surface we are the worst off of th eG7 delving deeper shows a picture that is as clear as mud...

https://www.independent.co.uk/

Bear in mind, and this is especially pertinent for those in the United States, that few nations can offer a no charge or insurance proof at the point of delivery for health services that compare with the United Kingdom. If social care can be added to that then we are streets ahead of the rest.


How do health and social care compare with the rest of Europe?

Poll: Prediction for England v Norway

0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:39 - Sep 30 with 257 viewsnoggin

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 11:45 - Sep 30 by baxterbasics

Not poured over the details yet, so based on headlines and general chatter:

Triple lock - no issue with this being scrapped or at least watered down

Social Care - great that it's finally being looked at, how will it be paid for? Bearing in mind the next point:

Defence spending - The very issue our current chancellor resigned his last job over. Anything on this or are we just kicking the can down the road some more? Hoping Russia just pipes down for a bit?

Welfare reform - is this rocketing bill now ignored too? Need to stop paying people to not work just because they feel a bit sad.

He's promising lots of nice ambitious things that sound good but I'm taxed up the wazoo as it is. Likewise SMEs who really need a break if they are going to provide any growth. If they find an effective way to make wealth pay for most of it, great, but I predict they wont.

Have to agree, though, with the general consensus that it's much easier to like 'our Andy' compared to the last half dozen or so incumbents - but that's not a very high bar is it?


Have you ever been diagnosed with depression?

Poll: Prediction for England v Norway

1
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:47 - Sep 30 with 237 viewsMattinLondon

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:39 - Sep 30 by noggin

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression?


Are you speculating on someone’s mental state? Bit off if you are.

Apologies if I misinterpreted your post.
-2
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:49 - Sep 30 with 236 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:11 - Sep 30 by WeWereZombies

Hmmm, was watching Scotland's wearying defeat to Switzerland last night and towards the end the commentator mentioned the Swiss manager's difficult journey involving a stop at an airport because he was suffering from a hearing problem. James McFadden chipped in with 'Sorry, what was that ?' a couple of times and then apologised for the Dad joke...


Apologies.

Poll: As we are indulging in pointless quesions. If my aunt had balls would she be ...

0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:57 - Sep 30 with 232 viewsarmchaircritic59

Well as with pretty much everything in life, the talk is easy. Let's see him walk the walk. As something of a risk taker myself I'd like to see it pay off. until then I'll wait to see if it's more than hot air.
0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 19:02 - Sep 30 with 221 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:47 - Sep 30 by MattinLondon

Are you speculating on someone’s mental state? Bit off if you are.

Apologies if I misinterpreted your post.


he's not - imagine it's in response to Baxter's welfare paragraph and the 'feeling a bit sad' line.
2
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 20:33 - Sep 30 with 121 viewsWeWereZombies

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 18:32 - Sep 30 by noggin

How do health and social care compare with the rest of Europe?


I think that would be a very subjective analysis, and perhaps one you are better placed to comment on than I am.

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

0
Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 20:38 - Sep 30 with 104 viewsMattinLondon

Loving Burnham's visions and promises on 19:02 - Sep 30 by DropCliffsNotBombs

he's not - imagine it's in response to Baxter's welfare paragraph and the 'feeling a bit sad' line.


Oh I see…oops.

Apologies.
1
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026