Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First Time Abroad. 18:34 - Oct 6 with 2169 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Interested to know where the good folks of TWTD had their first foreign trip and in which year.
Was chatting about this on our flight back from Sofia yesterday evening and how accessible travel to the four corners of the globe has become over the decades (for better or worse).
Mine was two weeks full board in Salou in 1972 aged eleven and it seemed like the most exciting thing ever, went with my parents and another family.
Package holidays were starting to give everyday people at least the opportunity to be able to afford what at the time seemed like a really exotic destination.


We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

2
First Time Abroad. on 22:03 - Oct 6 with 549 viewsMedwayTractor

Germany in 1966 with the ATC. We were billeted on a former Luftwaffe base, then used by the RAF at part of our NATO presence in Europe. I remember perching on a crate of beer, watching the World Cup final in the airmen's mess. I went to Canada 2 years later with the cadets, a month away. We started near Niagara Falls, later flew all the way across to Vancouver. I still remember the shock at being told England is closer to the Falls than Vancouver.

On the holiday front, 1971 touring in Normandy & Brittany with the parents, including the Bayeux Tapestry and going with my Dad on the second day to Juno beach, where he landed with the Royal Engineers in the first wave on D Day. He was so affected by that visit that I had to do all the driving for the rest of the trip. If you go there now, one of his unit's Churchill tanks is on display just to the west of Courselles-sur-Mer.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

5
First Time Abroad. on 22:10 - Oct 6 with 538 viewsGuthrum

First Time Abroad. on 20:30 - Oct 6 by mistert

There used to be a passenger ferry from Felixstowe to Zeebrugge..


Could've been, no idea where we landed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

1
First Time Abroad. on 23:39 - Oct 6 with 470 viewsFreddies_Ears

France, Easter holidays 1974, aged 13. It was an exchange trip, so I stayed with a family in the Paris outskirts for 3 weeks. I was very, very young for my age, so I- and they - found it pretty tough at times. But I came home speaking excellent French and with an appreciation of their very different lifestyle.

It was repeated the summer of 75, with the same family. A wonderful time, where I felt I fitted in ok.

Vincent, my exchangee, was a really nice lad, cheeky and far more worldly than I was.

I ended up top-scoring in French throughout my school years, then combining it with German for 1st degree. Throughout my career I used French at work from time to time, gave presentations in French etc. Now long-retired, I love going back to France; it feels just as much home as England.
4
First Time Abroad. on 00:00 - Oct 7 with 455 viewsfloridablue

Interesting thread this. Mine was 73 with 3 mates when we purchased a VW camper between us. the other 3 were all connected to the auto industry through mechanics and body work, so when we set out it was a pristine sleeper van. Our aim was to reach Lloret.d. mar just north of Barcelona which was achieved, but a break in forced two to return to Blighty. I stayed for another couple of weeks along with the driver and remember going into a bar in Lloret and ordering a beer next to a girl that used to be in my year at school in Ipswich 2 years earlier! Many years later I decided to move across the pond being a dual national.
1
First Time Abroad. on 05:01 - Oct 7 with 381 viewsBenters

All these people going on all these holidays trudging around the globe,next up on TWTD ‘Global Warming’..

I think my first holiday was to the Spanish resort of Elsbels.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Which is best Cycling or Running,i will go for cycling as you are sitting down

0
First Time Abroad. on 05:19 - Oct 7 with 370 viewsIPS_wich

A fixed caravan site in the south of France probably around 1982/83 when I would have been 8/9 years old.

I have three abiding memories:

- Discovering french style 'Caffe Au Lait' and thereby starting my love affair with coffee

- Me and my younger brother losing track of time when we were playing football with a bunch of other kids on the campsite. The issue was we hadn't told our parents what we were doing and I they ended up searching frantically for us for about an hour or two convinced we'd been kidnapped.

- My Dad's relatively new car breaking down about five times on the drive there and back and having to wait each time for French mechanics to turn up and fix the car (and the my Dad - who didn't speak more than ten words of French trying to explain the problem). It's seared into my brain that the car was a 'Scimitar' sports car - but it's only now (almost 50 years later) that having looked it up I've discovered it was made by Reliant, which makes complete sense that it kept breaking down!!
0
First Time Abroad. on 06:44 - Oct 7 with 341 viewsWeWereZombies

First Time Abroad. on 05:01 - Oct 7 by Benters

All these people going on all these holidays trudging around the globe,next up on TWTD ‘Global Warming’..

I think my first holiday was to the Spanish resort of Elsbels.


Were you one of the workmen waking Sid James up at five in the morning ?

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

0
First Time Abroad. on 06:59 - Oct 7 with 326 viewsBenters

First Time Abroad. on 06:44 - Oct 7 by WeWereZombies

Were you one of the workmen waking Sid James up at five in the morning ?


Yes that’s me with the big olde diesel cement mixer.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Which is best Cycling or Running,i will go for cycling as you are sitting down

0
Login to get fewer ads

First Time Abroad. on 08:25 - Oct 7 with 274 viewsChurchman

I think it was 1971 and we went to Malgrat de Mar flying with an airline called Court Line Luton-Girona on a bright yellow BAC111. I thought it was magical and had a great time.
1
First Time Abroad. on 08:33 - Oct 7 with 256 viewsDJR

First Time Abroad. on 08:25 - Oct 7 by Churchman

I think it was 1971 and we went to Malgrat de Mar flying with an airline called Court Line Luton-Girona on a bright yellow BAC111. I thought it was magical and had a great time.


I can't remember the airline but my first trip abroad departed from Norwich airport which I see still operates some flights.
[Post edited 7 Oct 8:36]
0
First Time Abroad. on 08:34 - Oct 7 with 255 viewsfarkenhell

Carrot Road, Boxing Day 1979. Eye-opening to see how the natives lived and behaved.
0
First Time Abroad. on 09:09 - Oct 7 with 224 viewsMeadowlark

First Time Abroad. on 08:33 - Oct 7 by DJR

I can't remember the airline but my first trip abroad departed from Norwich airport which I see still operates some flights.
[Post edited 7 Oct 8:36]


I assume this is a tongue-in-cheek post. In my working life I flew out of Norwich hundreds of times. Half an hour to Amsterdam and then to anywhere in the world.
0
First Time Abroad. on 09:11 - Oct 7 with 219 viewsDJR

First Time Abroad. on 09:09 - Oct 7 by Meadowlark

I assume this is a tongue-in-cheek post. In my working life I flew out of Norwich hundreds of times. Half an hour to Amsterdam and then to anywhere in the world.


It isn't tongue-in-cheek. I left Ipswich in 1978 and had assumed that Norwich airport had long since disappeared not least because it was pretty small and I can't ever remember it being mentioned in the media since.
[Post edited 7 Oct 9:14]
0
First Time Abroad. on 09:41 - Oct 7 with 189 viewslongtimefan

I think my first trip was a day outing to Brugge or it may possibly have been to Amsterdam for the UEFA Cup final in '81. Brugge would have been the same year. In neither case did I have a full passport, just one of those one year visitor things.
0
First Time Abroad. on 10:05 - Oct 7 with 161 viewsleitrimblue

Day trip to France with the school in the early to mid 80,s. The bus returned ladened with exotic girlie playing cards and boobie pens. TWTD
0
First Time Abroad. on 10:06 - Oct 7 with 161 viewsgiant_stow

First Time Abroad. on 09:11 - Oct 7 by DJR

It isn't tongue-in-cheek. I left Ipswich in 1978 and had assumed that Norwich airport had long since disappeared not least because it was pretty small and I can't ever remember it being mentioned in the media since.
[Post edited 7 Oct 9:14]


How dare you! The airport (plus the two cathedrals) is our thing.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

1
First Time Abroad. on 10:15 - Oct 7 with 146 viewsMJallday

Rhodes when i was 13/14 years old - back in 1991

it wasnt such a hellhole back then.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

0
First Time Abroad. on 10:17 - Oct 7 with 143 viewsgiant_stow

First Time Abroad. on 10:05 - Oct 7 by leitrimblue

Day trip to France with the school in the early to mid 80,s. The bus returned ladened with exotic girlie playing cards and boobie pens. TWTD


snap

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

1
First Time Abroad. on 10:23 - Oct 7 with 133 viewssolemio

First Time Abroad. on 19:57 - Oct 6 by Meadowlark

School cruise when I was 12ish.
Gibraltar, Malta, Athens, Egypt and Venice.
Flew home on a Comet !!


de Havilland rather than a heavenly body I presume.
0
First Time Abroad. on 10:40 - Oct 7 with 116 viewsMeadowlark

First Time Abroad. on 09:11 - Oct 7 by DJR

It isn't tongue-in-cheek. I left Ipswich in 1978 and had assumed that Norwich airport had long since disappeared not least because it was pretty small and I can't ever remember it being mentioned in the media since.
[Post edited 7 Oct 9:14]


Ah. I see. It was upgraded a few years back and they built a new terminal building. It was very busy in the 80s/90s. They even had "commuter" flights to Heathrow. TUI and Ryanair fly out of Norwich as well as several KLM flights every day to and from Amsterdam.
Those KLM flights are a bit pricey, but while someone else is paying they are very convenient. I have often recommended Norwich Airport to overseas visitors. If they have no reason to visit London, clearing customs and getting away etc at NWI is much easier.
1
First Time Abroad. on 10:48 - Oct 7 with 105 viewsMattinLondon

First Time Abroad. on 10:06 - Oct 7 by giant_stow

How dare you! The airport (plus the two cathedrals) is our thing.


So much so that there are miniature models of those three things in the NCFC trophy cabinet - they have to fill it up with something.
0
First Time Abroad. on 10:49 - Oct 7 with 101 viewsgiant_stow

First Time Abroad. on 10:48 - Oct 7 by MattinLondon

So much so that there are miniature models of those three things in the NCFC trophy cabinet - they have to fill it up with something.


Brute

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

0
First Time Abroad. on 10:50 - Oct 7 with 97 viewsBenters

First Time Abroad. on 10:05 - Oct 7 by leitrimblue

Day trip to France with the school in the early to mid 80,s. The bus returned ladened with exotic girlie playing cards and boobie pens. TWTD


I got mugged on my school trip to France bastards nicked my small change and nuddy pen.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Which is best Cycling or Running,i will go for cycling as you are sitting down

1
First Time Abroad. on 10:54 - Oct 7 with 91 viewsTractor_Buck

Germany in 1982 on a school trip. Was kind of a holiday, but had those dull educational bits that justified it.

First actual holiday was a 3 centre trip to the States in 1990. A week in Key West, a couple of days in Orlando and 5 days in Toledo, Ohio.
0
First Time Abroad. on 10:55 - Oct 7 with 90 viewsLeBlue

Summer of 1979, aged 7 - The Algarve. Flew with Danair (remember them?) on a 727.
0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026