Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How much would ME need to spend 19:31 - Apr 10 with 1766 viewsCheltenham_Blue

(on transfer fees only) to make us competitive next season. Theres talk of 2-3 £2million players, but I fear in all likelyhood that is nowhere near enough.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

How much would ME need to spend on 19:35 - Apr 10 with 1739 viewsJ2BLUE

Impossible to put a price on it really.

Bart, Webster and Ward all cost relatively little.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How much would ME need to spend on 19:44 - Apr 10 with 1706 viewsMJallday

400 million

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

How much would ME need to spend on 19:46 - Apr 10 with 1696 viewsfeelingblue

Depends who they are really. 2 or three really decent players would make a huge difference.

If Taylor stays and is fit, and Webster is back, we have a decent defence. If Bart stays we have a cracking goalkeeper.

Diags for £ not much and Huws for £2-3m would be good signings. We could do with a big quick striker, a classy creative attacking midfielder and a winger/wide midfielder. Tom Lawrence would do but that won't happen, especially if w4nkers boo him, but a fit Williams would be good.
How much would ME need to spend on 20:13 - Apr 10 with 1608 viewsChurchman75

How much would ME need to spend on 19:46 - Apr 10 by feelingblue

Depends who they are really. 2 or three really decent players would make a huge difference.

If Taylor stays and is fit, and Webster is back, we have a decent defence. If Bart stays we have a cracking goalkeeper.

Diags for £ not much and Huws for £2-3m would be good signings. We could do with a big quick striker, a classy creative attacking midfielder and a winger/wide midfielder. Tom Lawrence would do but that won't happen, especially if w4nkers boo him, but a fit Williams would be good.

By my reckoning the following

1. New keeper if Bart go's =2million
2. Centre mid x 2 £5 million
3. New Centre half £2 million
None of smith, Berra or chambers are competitive enough
4. A goal scorer £4million plus

At least 13 million plus wages

Not good enough =
Kenlock
Emmanuel
Smith
Chambers
Berra
Williams on game fit
Mcgoldrick on games fit
Lawrence won't be here
Williams won't be here
Douglas
Bishop on games fit
Taylor on games fit
Ward
That guy from Woking = way out of depth

Players good enough if given support in correct system
Pitman
Sears

Poll: Attendance today as its community day and ticket offer..... SAR Upper is full..

How much would ME need to spend on 20:15 - Apr 10 with 1597 viewstextbackup

Few decent additions (freebies have served us well previously) and a new manager and it gives us a good start

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

How much would ME need to spend on 20:15 - Apr 10 with 1592 viewsfeelingblue

How much would ME need to spend on 20:13 - Apr 10 by Churchman75

By my reckoning the following

1. New keeper if Bart go's =2million
2. Centre mid x 2 £5 million
3. New Centre half £2 million
None of smith, Berra or chambers are competitive enough
4. A goal scorer £4million plus

At least 13 million plus wages

Not good enough =
Kenlock
Emmanuel
Smith
Chambers
Berra
Williams on game fit
Mcgoldrick on games fit
Lawrence won't be here
Williams won't be here
Douglas
Bishop on games fit
Taylor on games fit
Ward
That guy from Woking = way out of depth

Players good enough if given support in correct system
Pitman
Sears

Not good enough for the Champions League, maybe?
How much would ME need to spend on 21:11 - Apr 10 with 1473 viewsBanburyBlue

Who would come here?

Banbury Blue Back in Town

How much would ME need to spend on 22:03 - Apr 10 with 1422 viewsGuthrum

Keep hold of Bialkowski, Huws if reasonably under £1m (only one year left on contract), maybe Diagouraga for the same (also one year left), a decent, young Prem loan (a la Fraser/Lawrence), couple of freebies (winger and a CB maybe), plus a striker - he being the one who's going to cost in the order of £2m.

Perhaps £3m to £4m for transfer/loan fees, plus wages (altho some of the latter will be offset by players leaving, possibly including Berra).

Might be able to do it for less, if we only get one of Huws/Diagouraga, or can get good deals on them, not being wanted by their parent clubs.

Line up something like this:

BialkowskiEmmanuel/SpenceWebsterSmithChambers/FreebieKenlockWardDiagouragaHuwsMcGoldrickStriker
Substitutes: Gerken   Taylor   Freebie   Dozzell   Bishop   Rowe   Sears   

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

How much would ME need to spend on 22:06 - Apr 10 with 1414 viewsElderGrizzly

I don't think it's as simple as one season of investment. Those who have been successful have normally invested over a number of seasons.

I don't think you'd get much change from £100m extra in wages and fees across 5 years if you really wanted to compete with the new level of finance in this division. Evans or a new owner would need to lose £20m a season and stick two fingers up to FFP.

There are 'gems' out there like Webster, Bart, Mings etc, but they are becoming more difficult to find as PL team stockpile them and make them unaffordable to most.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2017 22:07]
How much would ME need to spend on 22:13 - Apr 10 with 1383 viewsDubtractor

How much would ME need to spend on 22:03 - Apr 10 by Guthrum

Keep hold of Bialkowski, Huws if reasonably under £1m (only one year left on contract), maybe Diagouraga for the same (also one year left), a decent, young Prem loan (a la Fraser/Lawrence), couple of freebies (winger and a CB maybe), plus a striker - he being the one who's going to cost in the order of £2m.

Perhaps £3m to £4m for transfer/loan fees, plus wages (altho some of the latter will be offset by players leaving, possibly including Berra).

Might be able to do it for less, if we only get one of Huws/Diagouraga, or can get good deals on them, not being wanted by their parent clubs.

BialkowskiEmmanuel/SpenceWebsterSmithChambers/FreebieKenlockWardDiagouragaHuwsMcGoldrickStriker

Not keen on Knudsen?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

How much would ME need to spend on 22:16 - Apr 10 with 1370 viewsBackToRussia

I'd say you need at least £5 million per summer transfer window, maybe half that in January.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

How much would ME need to spend on 22:21 - Apr 10 with 1359 viewsGuthrum

How much would ME need to spend on 22:13 - Apr 10 by Dubtractor

Not keen on Knudsen?

Ah yes. One for the bench*, as I'm keener on Kenlock.

* Instead of Taylor, who will be injured - but on the coaching staff.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2017 22:22]

How much would ME need to spend on 22:36 - Apr 10 with 1335 viewsolimar

According to the graphics that Swiss Ramble put out today, in 15/16 the top 8 all spent over £30m on wages and the top 11 all spent over £25m.
Of those top 11, Brighton are probably the best example to take, given that they are the ones making the best job of getting out of this league who were there in 15/16- they were 9th highest wage payers last season, spending £27m and I think they have improved on that figure considerably to make it count this time around.
Money obviously doesnt guarantee anything, but its fair to say that to give ourselves a fighting chance of getting in the top 6, we would need to be spending £30m/season on wages to allow us to compete against the top 10 spenders.
If we want to give ourselves a fighting chance of actually winning promotion (contrary to Ian Milnes targets, the top 6 doesnt actually achieve anything), then we probably need to be spending closer to the £35m+ that I think Brighton are spending.

We may pick up some of the players that will fill that wage bill on free transfers, but most likely youd presume we would be needing to spend fees for them, probably £4-5m each.

So, unless we have a magician who can buy in a team overnight, we would probably need at least two years to get it done. That probably means 6 or 8 new players, which could comfortably top £30m. Added to the £35m/year on wages and we would basically be needing around £100m for a two year promotion project with a real chance of doing something.

For context, our transfer spending in 15/16 was about £300k and our wage bill was £17m.
How much would ME need to spend on 22:55 - Apr 10 with 1286 viewsStokieBlue

How much would ME need to spend on 22:03 - Apr 10 by Guthrum

That's essentially the current squad - does that mean you think it's down to MM?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How much would ME need to spend on 23:28 - Apr 10 with 1246 viewsGuthrum

How much would ME need to spend on 22:55 - Apr 10 by StokieBlue

That's essentially the current squad - does that mean you think it's down to MM?

SB

The current squad with one important addition: The new striker.

I don't think the current team (even in its pre-January form) would have done badly at all if we had adequately replaced Murphy. Sears, Best, etc. were simply not good/in form enough (McGoldrick excepted - and he can't do it on his own).

We've desperately needed someone who can work with another forward to create chances and is clinical enough to put the ball away more often than not. Pitman can do the latter, but is not good at the former, McGoldrick vice versa. Sears has energy, but no confidence or accuracy. Lawrence is more like an advanced midfielder.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2017 23:35]

How much would ME need to spend on 00:32 - Apr 11 with 1197 viewsbournemouthblue

Transfer fees are rarely proportional to quality

It's only what the selling club are prepared to sell that player for and the demand ultimately in them

So it really is a how long is a piece of string type question.

I don't think anyone is crying out to go an blaze £10 million which still doesn't go all that far nowadays

But a fee on the right player would certainly be worth it and we all know that needs to be another striker at least

We also need to look at signing Huws, Diagouraga, Spence and perhaps Taylor alongside that with the likes of Berra and Pitman moving on potentially

I really hope we don't sell Bart because again, without him we'd really be in the mire

Lawrence has been very good but I don't think he's been quite as good as his goals tally or quality of goals would suggest. Again he has got us out of a hole but we could still perform adequately without him next season if we find a proper frontman.

Lawrence has suffered a bit in recent weeks from MM playing him with McGoldrick so we end up with two number 10's dropping deep without anyone in advance of them

I also think Lawrence goes missing in games where physical players are put on him. Derby for example stuck Bradley Johnson on him who muscled him out of the game.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2017 0:33]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024