Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we actually need a forward? 06:58 - Jul 29 with 7566 viewsChurchman75

I've just read through the post about "has ME backed MM properly" & all the talk is about having someone to put the ball in the net.
We need to play the correct way (Lord Burleys teams 97-2000) to keep the ball and create these chances.
The HUGE difference that got us up was the signing of magilton and the way he grabbed hold of games when he arrived and got us up. Yes finishers help but creating chances will create goals and confidence.
Remember the old saying of "if we have the ball, the opposition won't score" and put that with great finishers in Dids, Garner and Sears with confidence and there would be no issue.
I'd rather us spend 2/3 mill on a dyer/jonniesta/magilton type player to create.

Poll: Attendance today as its community day and ticket offer..... SAR Upper is full..

Do we actually need a forward? on 07:01 - Jul 29 with 6568 viewsBenters

We wont spend £2-£3m on any player.

Loans innit.

Yes,yes,YES ! thank you Herbi wages i know wages.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Do we actually need a forward? on 07:03 - Jul 29 with 6570 viewsBlueBadger

Two things.

1) - Burley's teams were pretty goal-shy in the seasons where we didn't have a recognised goalscorer - our top scorer in 96/97 was Paul Mason with 12, none of our forwards scored into double figures(in fact, our strike force that season comprised Neil Gregory and the young and raw Scowcroft and Naylor) and we struggled for goals in 97/98 until we signed David Johnson and Alex Mathie played himself back into full fitness after his season-long injury from 96/97.

2) Expecting David McGoldrick to go a whole season injury free is hugely optimistic. An injury to him would leave us with just Garner and Sears with no experienced options on the bench.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2017 13:31]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Do we actually need a forward? on 07:08 - Jul 29 with 6538 viewsBenters

Do we actually need a forward? on 07:03 - Jul 29 by BlueBadger

Two things.

1) - Burley's teams were pretty goal-shy in the seasons where we didn't have a recognised goalscorer - our top scorer in 96/97 was Paul Mason with 12, none of our forwards scored into double figures(in fact, our strike force that season comprised Neil Gregory and the young and raw Scowcroft and Naylor) and we struggled for goals in 97/98 until we signed David Johnson and Alex Mathie played himself back into full fitness after his season-long injury from 96/97.

2) Expecting David McGoldrick to go a whole season injury free is hugely optimistic. An injury to him would leave us with just Garner and Sears with no experienced options on the bench.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2017 13:31]

2.bang on .

Gentlybentley

Do we actually need a forward? on 07:12 - Jul 29 with 6526 viewsChurchman75

Do we actually need a forward? on 07:08 - Jul 29 by Benters

2.bang on .

Who does hang on play for? Are you thinking a loan deal?

Poll: Attendance today as its community day and ticket offer..... SAR Upper is full..

Do we actually need a forward? on 08:10 - Jul 29 with 6407 viewsitfcjoe

Without a doubt we need a forward
[Post edited 29 Jul 2017 8:10]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Do we actually need a forward? on 08:13 - Jul 29 with 6388 viewstcblue

I love your optimism that Mick would play a Barcelona / Bayern under Pep formation but yes, we do need another forward.
Do we actually need a forward? on 08:15 - Jul 29 with 6381 viewshowdonblue

Do we actually need a forward? on 08:10 - Jul 29 by itfcjoe

Agreed

Also at the times we are talking about we also bought Marcus Stewart for quite a fee if memory serves me well£2.3 million.

And look what impact he made (Note to mr Evans )

Just saying
Do we actually need a forward? on 08:16 - Jul 29 with 6371 viewsBenters

Do we actually need a forward? on 07:12 - Jul 29 by Churchman75

Who does hang on play for? Are you thinking a loan deal?

eh?

Gentlybentley

Login to get fewer ads

Do we actually need a forward? on 08:18 - Jul 29 with 6361 viewshowdonblue

Do we actually need a forward? on 07:08 - Jul 29 by Benters

2.bang on .

It's a shame mcgoldrick can not get through a whole season as I believe he could well be our modern day Marcus Stewart
Do we actually need a forward? on 08:24 - Jul 29 with 6344 viewsPinewoodblue

The Genersl consensus amongst experts in the media was that Burley's team would struggle in the top flight because in the promotion season we squandered far too many chances.

Yes we do need another forward

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Do we actually need a forward? on 08:55 - Jul 29 with 6209 viewsbentley_blue

Unfortunately the days on finding a Dyer/Magilton type player for 2/3 million are long gone!
Do we actually need a forward? on 08:56 - Jul 29 with 6209 viewsJimmy86

Sorry to say it, but since that first prolific season I would say Didz is anything but a decent finisher. There were times last season, where he really needed a goal to get him going.
Do we actually need a forward? on 09:01 - Jul 29 with 6171 viewstextbackup

Do we actually need a forward? on 08:55 - Jul 29 by bentley_blue

Unfortunately the days on finding a Dyer/Magilton type player for 2/3 million are long gone!

MM limits himself and us to British leagues only. Many a good player out there if the scouting is put in

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Do we actually need a forward? on 09:03 - Jul 29 with 6159 viewsmonty_radio

Do we actually need a forward? on 08:24 - Jul 29 by Pinewoodblue

The Genersl consensus amongst experts in the media was that Burley's team would struggle in the top flight because in the promotion season we squandered far too many chances.

Yes we do need another forward

Yet, as the O.P. implies, without midfield creativity "squandering" falls into the category of "if only". A fourth striker is an inevitability, but the midfield, even if all were free of the mysterious illness, brims with vigour and vim, but, Dozzell apart, if given his chance, not so much guile.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Do we actually need a forward? on 09:28 - Jul 29 with 6089 viewsdalianwasexciting

Do we actually need a forward? on 09:03 - Jul 29 by monty_radio

Yet, as the O.P. implies, without midfield creativity "squandering" falls into the category of "if only". A fourth striker is an inevitability, but the midfield, even if all were free of the mysterious illness, brims with vigour and vim, but, Dozzell apart, if given his chance, not so much guile.

Its a no brainer - just in simple number terms. I remain convinced that Didz is not a proper striker, more an attacking midfielder who can play in the Eric Gates mould, but not as a second striker. As alluded in the thread, the chances of him being fit for the whole season must be questionable, plus what the hell happens if Garner is to get injured? Because there have been no chances for youth, the likes of Ben Morris will simply not be ready to step up.

I am convinced a young PL loanee will arrive before season start or very soon after, but who this might be, and how good they might be is up for debate. We did well in promotion seasons because of our strikers, be it Bent & Kuqi, Johnson & Stewart or Kiwomya etc. So strikers are key to success and probably the place we need strength in depth the most.

Poll: Our number one goalkeeper going forward?

Do we actually need a forward? on 09:32 - Jul 29 with 6072 viewsHerbivore

Do we actually need a forward? on 08:10 - Jul 29 by itfcjoe

This.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Do we actually need a forward? on 09:40 - Jul 29 with 6045 viewschristiand

Do we actually need a forward? on 08:56 - Jul 29 by Jimmy86

Sorry to say it, but since that first prolific season I would say Didz is anything but a decent finisher. There were times last season, where he really needed a goal to get him going.

He certainly has Stewart's quick thinking and will bring others into play with his quality on the ball, but think Stewart was a better finisher.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Do we actually need a forward? on 09:48 - Jul 29 with 6020 viewsGuthrum

I still maintain that if we can get our midfield/wide supply chain working well and - even more importantly - can have two or more men in the box for every attack, then we will score a lot more goals, even with the players we currently have. A single, isolated striker, cut off from the rest of the team (as we saw all too often last season) will inevitably be pretty impotent.

Part of Murphy's talent was holding onto the ball until help arrived. In the play-off season, we moved the ball forward fast, which we notably haven't since.

It would be very nice to have another forward, more in the scoring groove than Sears, less fragile than McGoldrick. But, for me, it's not absolutely vital - as long as Huws/Adeyemi/Rowe/Celina et al are effective and we can have at least Garner plus one in the box.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Do we actually need a forward? on 09:49 - Jul 29 with 6015 viewsmonty_radio

Do we actually need a forward? on 09:28 - Jul 29 by dalianwasexciting

Its a no brainer - just in simple number terms. I remain convinced that Didz is not a proper striker, more an attacking midfielder who can play in the Eric Gates mould, but not as a second striker. As alluded in the thread, the chances of him being fit for the whole season must be questionable, plus what the hell happens if Garner is to get injured? Because there have been no chances for youth, the likes of Ben Morris will simply not be ready to step up.

I am convinced a young PL loanee will arrive before season start or very soon after, but who this might be, and how good they might be is up for debate. We did well in promotion seasons because of our strikers, be it Bent & Kuqi, Johnson & Stewart or Kiwomya etc. So strikers are key to success and probably the place we need strength in depth the most.

Completely agree re Didz - played just behind genuine strikers he'd both put them through and be at his most effective coming onto the ball. Has he ever scored with his back to goal as he receives? A waste of a great talent when played too far forward, but it would need someone more daring than Mick to play him in addition to a strikeforce.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Do we actually need a forward? on 10:03 - Jul 29 with 5990 viewsdalianwasexciting

Do we actually need a forward? on 09:49 - Jul 29 by monty_radio

Completely agree re Didz - played just behind genuine strikers he'd both put them through and be at his most effective coming onto the ball. Has he ever scored with his back to goal as he receives? A waste of a great talent when played too far forward, but it would need someone more daring than Mick to play him in addition to a strikeforce.

I have long said he is now in the wrong position, the time he was here on loan and his first full season he looked a genuine goal getter, but as injuries took their toll so he lost that bit of his game. His eye for a pass, and space creation is second to none, and he really has been badly served by where he has been asked to play. He has a good shot, a la Gates, and he certainly has an eye for a pass. A diamond with him at the forward tip would be the way a non-risk averse manager may go.

Do we actually need a forward? on 10:37 - Jul 29 with 5907 viewsstrikalite

Do we actually need a forward? on 09:28 - Jul 29 by dalianwasexciting

Agree totally..

You need options, we have them through the midfield now, but we're still light upfront no doubt, teams press in this league, especially the top six sides, we have nobody who can turn with pace and worry the oppositions defence, pace costs money though, it always has done, but we lack it still and have done for a long time imo, someone quick who can get in behind..

You're only as good as your strikers they say, a lot of truth in that especially in the Championship..
Do we actually need a forward? on 10:45 - Jul 29 with 5883 viewsdalianwasexciting

Do we actually need a forward? on 10:37 - Jul 29 by strikalite

Agree totally..

You need options, we have them through the midfield now, but we're still light upfront no doubt, teams press in this league, especially the top six sides, we have nobody who can turn with pace and worry the oppositions defence, pace costs money though, it always has done, but we lack it still and have done for a long time imo, someone quick who can get in behind..

You're only as good as your strikers they say, a lot of truth in that especially in the Championship..

I lost count of the number of times Kiwomya/Bent etc got us goals with raw pace alone. We have become far too pedestrian under the past three managers and of course what people don't see is that Murph was actually quite quick - in the same way that Kuqi was. We need raw pace, I think the talent is perhaps less of an issue, its about being in the right place and the right time, getting the right ball etc. Its the pace that creates the space for the chance and therefore even if a pacy striker is to miss 80% of chances, there are still going to be a lot more chances so therefore the 20% that go in are much higher.

Do we actually need a forward? on 10:52 - Jul 29 with 5857 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Do we actually need a forward? on 09:01 - Jul 29 by textbackup

MM limits himself and us to British leagues only. Many a good player out there if the scouting is put in

That's not true, is it?

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Do we actually need a forward? on 10:52 - Jul 29 with 5856 viewsWestcountryblue

Yes, we definitely need a forward, ideally a strong, powerful centre forward.

We certainly don't need to waste 2-3m on another midfielder. We should look to work on nurturing the talent of Dozzell, Bishopm Nydam and Downes, who all have the ability to make it at this level.
Do we actually need a forward? on 11:05 - Jul 29 with 5822 viewsbraveblue

David Johnson and Marcus Stewart made the difference. You need goal scorers and we are currently well short of a reasonable standard for a whole season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024