Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players 12:31 - Apr 10 with 4687 viewsitfcjoe

“There’s a bit of a misconception about having the shackles on because I don’t put the shackles on them.

“We put the shackles on the opposition but when we’ve got the ball we’ve got freedom to play and it’s a complete piece of nonsense that anybody should suggest any other way.

“So, stopping the opposition is one thing. If you had seen my team, which you have over the last five and a half years, we’ve played 4-4-2 when we’re attacking. We leave two centre-backs back and one sitting midfield player, which means we’re attacking with seven players.

“Both wing-backs here will be in the box. I’m going to refute that suggestion because it’s a piece of nonsense.”

I know Mick is now trying to change the narrative as he focuses on securing his next job (and no-one can surely blame him for that), but I worry he genuinely believes this

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 12:35 - Apr 10 with 3474 viewstextbackup

Shame he’s not or practicing what he preaches

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Not really our problem anymore. (n/t) on 12:36 - Apr 10 with 3465 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 12:36 - Apr 10 with 3467 viewshype313

He just needs to go.

To paraphase Mick, it's bonkers that he's still here.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 12:40 - Apr 10 with 3451 viewsKieran_Knows

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 12:36 - Apr 10 by hype313

He just needs to go.

To paraphase Mick, it's bonkers that he's still here.

We can thanks Marcus Evans for that.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 12:52 - Apr 10 with 3394 viewsdavblue

The handbrake is on and has been, no doubt about it.
McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:01 - Apr 10 with 3372 viewsReuser_is_God

Thought this was very odd when listening to the press conference.

Obviously we do have a fair amount of numbskulls amongst our support but we not that stupid!

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Thankfully (n/t) on 13:02 - Apr 10 with 3353 viewsReuser_is_God

Not really our problem anymore. (n/t) on 12:36 - Apr 10 by Bloots

Evans out

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:05 - Apr 10 with 3344 viewsReuser_is_God

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 12:40 - Apr 10 by Kieran_Knows

We can thanks Marcus Evans for that.

Remarkable leadership on display from Evans.

Evans out

Login to get fewer ads

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:07 - Apr 10 with 3336 viewsKieran_Knows

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:05 - Apr 10 by Reuser_is_God

Remarkable leadership on display from Evans.

Certainly. I mean, it's the norm for managers to get an 8 game send off, isn't it?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:11 - Apr 10 with 3317 viewsDarth_Koont

I think it's somewhere in between to be honest.

I don't believe we actively set up to get players behind the ball - that just happens when we don't keep the ball well enough and get penned back.

Then often when it is more of a contest and we do have the ball we still play very directly — even Garner and Waghorn are guilty of this with flicks and first time balls played far more often than holding it up for midfielders to get into the game.

On the rare occasions we do keep the ball and players do have time to get up the pitch then fullbacks and midfielders are getting forward rather than sitting back.

Pronouns: He/Him

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:14 - Apr 10 with 3299 viewsReuser_is_God

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:11 - Apr 10 by Darth_Koont

I don't believe we actively set up to get players behind the ball - that just happens when we don't keep the ball well enough and get penned back.

Then often when it is more of a contest and we do have the ball we still play very directly — even Garner and Waghorn are guilty of this with flicks and first time balls played far more often than holding it up for midfielders to get into the game.

On the rare occasions we do keep the ball and players do have time to get up the pitch then fullbacks and midfielders are getting forward rather than sitting back.

It happens because we have players that aren’t capable of keeping the ball.

Evans out

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:15 - Apr 10 with 3300 viewsSteve_M

He is being more than a little disingenuous on that point. I think if he had added the caveat that when everything works to plan then that is how we play, then it would be more accurate. We certainly have seen that at times and not just when chasing a game.

And the bit he obviously would't add would be that when we've struggled he's tended
to double down on the caution.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:20 - Apr 10 with 3274 viewsSteve_M

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:07 - Apr 10 by Kieran_Knows

Certainly. I mean, it's the norm for managers to get an 8 game send off, isn't it?

It's more that MM's contract is not being renewed rather than him being sacked though. Whilst it's undoubtedly time for a change is everyone certain that ME would have sacked him this Summer with a year left on his contract?

So, that's the uncommon bit here. It isn't a sacked manager staying around for the sake of it.

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:22 - Apr 10 with 3268 viewsDarth_Koont

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:14 - Apr 10 by Reuser_is_God

It happens because we have players that aren’t capable of keeping the ball.

They can keep it though. But invariably we take the quick, direct option before players can start combining.

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:30 - Apr 10 with 3237 viewsFtnfwest

pep does, as he says he's letting them off tonight v liverpool. That must mean Mick's more attacking than him normally
McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:38 - Apr 10 with 3187 viewsPinewoodblue

The new manager is going to have a lot to do to convince his brainwashed squad of their footballing ability.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

McCarthhey: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:43 - Apr 10 with 3164 viewsBasuco

We will see tonight how often the fullbacks/wingbacks get past the halfway line to support the attacking players, my guess is it won't be very often in the first 80 minutes.
McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:48 - Apr 10 with 3152 viewsBasuco

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:38 - Apr 10 by Pinewoodblue

The new manager is going to have a lot to do to convince his brainwashed squad of their footballing ability.

I am not so sure that is the case, apart from Freddie Sears they were very comfortable with the fast passing game against Millwall in the second half, Grant Ward, Luke Hyam and Martyn Waghorn and looked particularly good to me.
McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 15:02 - Apr 10 with 3028 viewsitfcjoe

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 13:11 - Apr 10 by Darth_Koont

Is that not because we play so direct? We try to catch the other team out by attacking quickly at times?

Also there are plenty of times when we are 1-0 up and, the SWFC game recently a key example, we just do not keep the ball at all. We spend half an hour defending like it is stoppage time. Get ball, get it as far away from our goal as possible, get back in position.

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 15:10 - Apr 10 with 3005 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Also not helped by the moans and groans when things don't come off. Not that it's the fans' fault as the frustration is born out of years of watching us be poor in possession, but has probably only highlighted the amount of hiding when we have the ball or simply trying to get rid of it as quickly as possible when it gets near to them..

They can often look scared to take more than 2 touches even when they have space and when they do they inevitably want to get rid as soon as possible toward the opposition area.
McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 15:13 - Apr 10 with 2992 viewsDarth_Koont

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 15:02 - Apr 10 by itfcjoe

Is that not because we play so direct? We try to catch the other team out by attacking quickly at times?

Also there are plenty of times when we are 1-0 up and, the SWFC game recently a key example, we just do not keep the ball at all. We spend half an hour defending like it is stoppage time. Get ball, get it as far away from our goal as possible, get back in position.

Yes, it is because we play so direct. Maybe I didn't express it clearly but basically I think so much of our play is the quick, direct option that there's no time for players to support. Also there's little inclination to make a 40-yard lung buster if we're going to lose the ball as quickly as we do.

And agreed re: our desire to get the ball away quickly which inevitably sees the opposition coming back onto us. I'd like to see us slow it down from time to time and let the opposition fall back. But they never have to if we just end up giving it to one of their CBs or keeper. Maybe it was to do with us tiring and losing Skuse in the middle but I thought that last 20 minutes versus Millwall was pretty grim viewing even though we didn't actually stop trying to get forward.

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 15:31 - Apr 10 with 2955 viewsitfcjoe

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 15:13 - Apr 10 by Darth_Koont

Yes, it is because we play so direct. Maybe I didn't express it clearly but basically I think so much of our play is the quick, direct option that there's no time for players to support. Also there's little inclination to make a 40-yard lung buster if we're going to lose the ball as quickly as we do.

And agreed re: our desire to get the ball away quickly which inevitably sees the opposition coming back onto us. I'd like to see us slow it down from time to time and let the opposition fall back. But they never have to if we just end up giving it to one of their CBs or keeper. Maybe it was to do with us tiring and losing Skuse in the middle but I thought that last 20 minutes versus Millwall was pretty grim viewing even though we didn't actually stop trying to get forward.

I missed the Millwall game so can't comment - but sounds as though we probably should have lost and highlights indicate that with the chances they had - but fans were just happy to see something not deadly boring.

And then Mick states he'd rather a boring 1-0, then sets up at Brentford to try and nick one as we couldn't possibly try and give them a game of football.

I think that is the main problem for me, the season is dead and Mick is still trying just to eke out points and claims that isn't playing with the shackles on. When he talks about lack of goals he says we are doing what we always do, what is the definition of madness.....!

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 15:37 - Apr 10 with 2936 viewsSteve_M

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 15:31 - Apr 10 by itfcjoe

I missed the Millwall game so can't comment - but sounds as though we probably should have lost and highlights indicate that with the chances they had - but fans were just happy to see something not deadly boring.

And then Mick states he'd rather a boring 1-0, then sets up at Brentford to try and nick one as we couldn't possibly try and give them a game of football.

I think that is the main problem for me, the season is dead and Mick is still trying just to eke out points and claims that isn't playing with the shackles on. When he talks about lack of goals he says we are doing what we always do, what is the definition of madness.....!

We attacked late on in the Millwall game, more than the highlights would imply, but didn't quite get that into shooting positions (unusual....) certainly had what looked a fair shout for a penalty as a defender took Folami out before he could get on the end of a cross (and considering that conceded Saturday....).

I think Saturday was a case in point. I don't see too much wrong with how we started the match and we created opportunities throughout but on 70 minutes the game was winnable, it was clear one goal would probably win it. That was when we should have gone for it, instead we waited and then conceded.

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 15:40 - Apr 10 with 2930 viewsSpruceMoose

In my mind this season has ended already. I couldn't give a tosh about the games from this point really. I think that iPlayer has given the gift of clear vision to a lot of the further flung fanbase. Being able to watch every game from the comfort of the living room, while not the same as being there, does mean there's no place to hide when the team is turning out dull stuff match after match.

I'm just lucky I'm not in a position to have to decide on whether to still turn up or not this year, in fact I may not even bother turning on the TV. I probably will, as it's a nice excuse to drink at 10am, but really my Saturday mornings can be better spent elsewhere. That might be an unpopular opinion and I understand why, but Joe's post nicely sets out the reasons why I'm feeling like this.

Mick has a rare opportunity for a manager, the chance to try out some wild Champ manager style formations and tactics free of consequence. He won't get that chance again. Yet, no, let's try and nick a draw or, with a miracle, a narrow win at Brentford. Truth is, I'm doubtful we have the payers to even play any other way. We have a team very much moulded in Mick's image.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

McCarthy: Nonsense That I Put Shackles on Players on 15:41 - Apr 10 with 2922 viewsDarth_Koont

But I don't see that there are "shackles" - if anything if we slowed the ball down and played with more control and restraint in the middle third I think we'd look better going forward.

For me, it's the effect of how we play so quick and direct that makes us look limited us not that our play itself is limited by the manager.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024