Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible 13:27 - Apr 11 with 38866 viewsGeefunk

European nations

I would really support this. Putin is out of control and this would really hurt them
We'll pull out.... on 13:32 - Apr 11 with 11361 viewsBloots

...after the group stage.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 13:38 - Apr 11 with 11345 viewsLord_Lucan

Putin is out of control?

Nothing is black and white.

USA, UK and France threatening all sorts but against who? Assad?

Who are we fighting for? There is no right guy there. If Assad goes then it will get worse. It is Iraq all over again.

Same same but different

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 13:44 - Apr 11 with 11285 viewsGlasgowBlue

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 13:38 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

Putin is out of control?

Nothing is black and white.

USA, UK and France threatening all sorts but against who? Assad?

Who are we fighting for? There is no right guy there. If Assad goes then it will get worse. It is Iraq all over again.

Same same but different

It's not Iraq all over again. No one is suggesting boots on the ground and a war that will ensure regime change. It's about hurting Assad so he desists gassing innocent civilians.

Putin, if he wanted, could stop him doing it.

This is a good proposal from the late Jo Cox and Andrew Mitchell. It should have been acted on at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/11/british-forces-ethical-sol

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 13:54 - Apr 11 with 11229 viewsLord_Lucan

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 13:44 - Apr 11 by GlasgowBlue

It's not Iraq all over again. No one is suggesting boots on the ground and a war that will ensure regime change. It's about hurting Assad so he desists gassing innocent civilians.

This is a good proposal from the late Jo Cox and Andrew Mitchell. It should have been acted on at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/11/british-forces-ethical-sol

It's the same as Iraq by leaving a bloody big vacuum.

I'm going to watch Rambo 111 later to see those pesky Russians getting kicked by US backed Afghanistanis which led to the creation of The Taliban.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:01 - Apr 11 with 11191 viewsSwansea_Blue

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 13:44 - Apr 11 by GlasgowBlue

Different yes, but an escalating air campaign is likely to have consequences not just for the Syrian military - airwars.org. Who knows how many families of these victims come to the west looking for revenge.

Andrew Mitchel & Joe Cox make a good argument, but they also don't address the potential for Russian reprisals. Presumably the situation is somewhat different know than when that piece was written. Russia seem emboldened, and we've got this publish chest puffing and slanging matches going on between Trump and Putin.

I don't know what the right approach should be. The lack of attention to the humanitarian position is a embarrassment to all parties, but ramping up military action could have highly unpredictable consequences. Urgh, I'd hate to have to make a call on this.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:02 - Apr 11 with 11191 viewsBluesquid

Oh there will be boots on the ground alright.
Our jihadi extremist Al-Qaida/Isis 'moderate' friends who behead and burn civilians alive inbetween taking film footage of chemical weapons attacks and sending it to us in the West via our media.

They want air superiority over Syria so the deathsquads can do their work.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2018 14:03]
Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:19 - Apr 11 with 11126 viewsRedX

If Ireland had qualified no way should we have been expected to pull out.

What's this "sensible nation" nonsense anyway?
[Post edited 11 Apr 2018 14:26]
Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:23 - Apr 11 with 11113 viewsSteve_M

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:01 - Apr 11 by Swansea_Blue

Different yes, but an escalating air campaign is likely to have consequences not just for the Syrian military - airwars.org. Who knows how many families of these victims come to the west looking for revenge.

Andrew Mitchel & Joe Cox make a good argument, but they also don't address the potential for Russian reprisals. Presumably the situation is somewhat different know than when that piece was written. Russia seem emboldened, and we've got this publish chest puffing and slanging matches going on between Trump and Putin.

I don't know what the right approach should be. The lack of attention to the humanitarian position is a embarrassment to all parties, but ramping up military action could have highly unpredictable consequences. Urgh, I'd hate to have to make a call on this.

Part of the problem with not responding now, of course, is it shows Assad there is no comeback from continuing to use chemical weapons on the population.

It's not unduly cynical here to suggest that part of the strategy is deliberate targeting to remove any dissent and create refugees to cause further divisiveness within Europe. Few things explain the repeated and deliberate targeting of civilians and hospitals.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:26 - Apr 11 with 11097 viewsLord_Lucan

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:23 - Apr 11 by Steve_M

Part of the problem with not responding now, of course, is it shows Assad there is no comeback from continuing to use chemical weapons on the population.

It's not unduly cynical here to suggest that part of the strategy is deliberate targeting to remove any dissent and create refugees to cause further divisiveness within Europe. Few things explain the repeated and deliberate targeting of civilians and hospitals.

Do we know who released the gas though?

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:33 - Apr 11 with 11076 viewsGlasgowBlue

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:26 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

Based on a) past chemical attacks which were verified by the United Nations and b) the people who were attacked, the finger is pointed at Assad.

Iron Lion Zion

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:35 - Apr 11 with 11067 viewsLord_Lucan

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:33 - Apr 11 by GlasgowBlue

Based on a) past chemical attacks which were verified by the United Nations and b) the people who were attacked, the finger is pointed at Assad.

I know where the finger is pointing GB.

Politics and war is a messy old business.

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:37 - Apr 11 with 11054 viewsSwansea_Blue

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:23 - Apr 11 by Steve_M

I know, it's a bloody mess innit.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:38 - Apr 11 with 11052 viewsCrock

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:26 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

Probably the one who smelt it

Poll: Favourite number?

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:42 - Apr 11 with 11032 viewsGlasgowBlue

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:35 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

I know where the finger is pointing GB.

Politics and war is a messy old business.

And it is being pointed at him because he has a record of doing it over the past few years and the people who were gassed are in rebel held territory.

Iron Lion Zion

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:59 - Apr 11 with 10994 viewsLord_Lucan

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:42 - Apr 11 by GlasgowBlue

And it is being pointed at him because he has a record of doing it over the past few years and the people who were gassed are in rebel held territory.

Which rebels are these GB, are they the nice ones?

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:00 - Apr 11 with 10991 viewshype313

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:59 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

I'm lost as who are the good guys and who are the bad? Haven't we been helping ISIS against Assad?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:03 - Apr 11 with 10966 viewsJ2BLUE

Not sure about this to be honest. It wouldn't be popular.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:04 - Apr 11 with 10959 viewsGlasgowBlue

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 14:59 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

There are no nice rebels. We had our chance to support them in 2013. Sadly Al Qaeda and ISIL have filled that vacuam.

Doesn't make it any more acceptable for Assad to murder the innocent civilians with chemical weapons who just happen to live in the area controlled by the rebels.

Iron Lion Zion

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:06 - Apr 11 with 10949 viewsLord_Lucan

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:00 - Apr 11 by hype313

I'm lost as who are the good guys and who are the bad? Haven't we been helping ISIS against Assad?

Not sure if it was actually ISIS but I think it was a soon to be known terrorist group that were standing close to ISIS.

The West is not squeaky clean when it comes to funding terrorism - to say the bloody least.

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:09 - Apr 11 with 10935 viewsNo9

When Mr cameron lost the vote in the HoP he should have gone straight to the UN and asked them to interjct allowing non ME forces into the area supported by the UN - missed.

It is now a very difficult and dangerous situation not helped by the White House contingent and a substandard bunch in the HoP.

But that is just part of the scenario.
Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:10 - Apr 11 with 10928 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why the downvote Hurley Burley? I haven't noticed the username before but you have a posting history so I assume it's a name change?

What part do you disagree with?

That we shouldn't get involved in a boots on the ground war that results in regime change?

That Putin could stop Assad if he wanted to?

The proposal from the late Jo Cox and Andrew Mitchell that put the safety of civilians at the forefront of their proposal?

Iron Lion Zion

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:13 - Apr 11 with 10917 viewsGlasgowBlue

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:09 - Apr 11 by No9

When Mr cameron lost the vote in the HoP he should have gone straight to the UN and asked them to interjct allowing non ME forces into the area supported by the UN - missed.

It is now a very difficult and dangerous situation not helped by the White House contingent and a substandard bunch in the HoP.

But that is just part of the scenario.

Russia was going to veto any UN proposal.

Cameron had an agreement with Miliband to support action. Then Miliband sniffed a political opportunity and went back on his word.

Iron Lion Zion

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:14 - Apr 11 with 10915 viewsLord_Lucan

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:04 - Apr 11 by GlasgowBlue

There are no nice rebels. We had our chance to support them in 2013. Sadly Al Qaeda and ISIL have filled that vacuam.

Doesn't make it any more acceptable for Assad to murder the innocent civilians with chemical weapons who just happen to live in the area controlled by the rebels.

Now I'm not saying this is definitely what happened but you don't seem to be catching what I am hinting at.

Imagine I was a nasty rebel, I don't give a monkeys about civilians. One of the first things I would do would be to gas some civilians residing in my manor thus demonising my enemy and his greatest ally and stoking up political opinion so that the West should release the hounds.

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:19 - Apr 11 with 10897 viewsNo9

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:13 - Apr 11 by GlasgowBlue

Russia was going to veto any UN proposal.

Cameron had an agreement with Miliband to support action. Then Miliband sniffed a political opportunity and went back on his word.

Mr Cameron should have made it clear to Mr Miliband before the vote that he would go to the UN.

He botched it.
The Russians, at that time may not have veto'ed a strongly supported proposal well put in the UN chamber. The problem with our governments is they still think this is the 18th C & they can do it alone.

As it is now what is going to be done to avoid any conflict getting out of control? An American president who's dimplomacy is conducted via twitter supported in the White House by less than competent warmongers. A bunch in the UK HoP not fit for purpose & a French President wh may not get the nation to back him.

Don't forget Mr Hague already confirmed in the HoP that the UK supplied chemicals to Syria that would give them the ability to make these nasty substances.
Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:22 - Apr 11 with 10887 viewsGlasgowBlue

Russia - got to pull out of the world cup haven't we ? Along with other sensible on 15:14 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

Now I'm not saying this is definitely what happened but you don't seem to be catching what I am hinting at.

Imagine I was a nasty rebel, I don't give a monkeys about civilians. One of the first things I would do would be to gas some civilians residing in my manor thus demonising my enemy and his greatest ally and stoking up political opinion so that the West should release the hounds.

But past results have shown that for Sarin to spread in the way that it has it can only be launched from airstrikes.

The rebels would have to take off from airfields that no longer exist in their own territory, in planes they don't have, circle around the sky without being shout down by Syrian forces who have the area surrounded by ground and air, then launch an sarin attack on the own "manor".

Once done they would have tom land the non existent planes on their non existent airfields and then claim they were the victims.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024