Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chambers our best ever Captain? 12:46 - Jul 27 with 8214 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

As Chambers is unsurprisingly staying on to be a captain for another year, I was wondering where he ranks against our other captains, in terms of who has been the best.

I've only really seen Holland, De vos and Chambers and for me Chambo sticks out as the best leader on the field. Although, Holland was excellent and was a great figure for connecting club and fans.

Maybe some older lads could tell more on Butcher and Mills and where they rank against Chambo.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 12:48 - Jul 27 with 4579 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Not old enough for Butcher, Mills etc. But I cant see Chambo being in the same class.

Would also say he ranks below Holland.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 12:50 - Jul 27 with 4559 viewshowdonblue

Mick mills is mate no competition!
Chambers our best ever Captain? on 12:51 - Jul 27 with 4554 viewswrightsrightglove

Similarly to you, those are the captains that I remember. I think what possibly sets Chambers and Holland apart is that Holland was in a team of leaders with Mowbray, Venus, Wilnis, Magilton, etc etc all around him. Chambers has regularly had to be the central leadership force and voice during his time with Ipswich so that probably puts him just above Holland in my eyes.
Chambers our best ever Captain? on 12:54 - Jul 27 with 4527 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 12:50 - Jul 27 by howdonblue

Mick mills is mate no competition!

What was it about him specifically? As I said I have little knowledge on him as a leader.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 12:57 - Jul 27 with 4517 viewsPJH

I always rate Mick Mills as our best ever captain(and best ever RB and best ever LB).
I think that he was everything that you could wish for as a captain because he led by example,had a great footballing brain and was a natural leader.
SBR made him captain of a side that included some pretty experienced players at the age of 21 so he obviously saw in him the qualities needed in a captain.

Chambo has obviously got the respect of his team mates and is a very good captain but in my opinion Millsy is the best in my ITFC lifetime.
Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:06 - Jul 27 with 4463 viewshomer_123

I'd rate Holland and Magic above Chambers by some margin.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:08 - Jul 27 with 4447 viewshomer_123

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 12:57 - Jul 27 by PJH

I always rate Mick Mills as our best ever captain(and best ever RB and best ever LB).
I think that he was everything that you could wish for as a captain because he led by example,had a great footballing brain and was a natural leader.
SBR made him captain of a side that included some pretty experienced players at the age of 21 so he obviously saw in him the qualities needed in a captain.

Chambo has obviously got the respect of his team mates and is a very good captain but in my opinion Millsy is the best in my ITFC lifetime.

Yep, though sadly so many won't have ever seen him.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:09 - Jul 27 with 4430 viewsFtnfwest

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 12:54 - Jul 27 by TRUE_BLUE123

What was it about him specifically? As I said I have little knowledge on him as a leader.

Captain of England helps
Login to get fewer ads

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:19 - Jul 27 with 4387 viewsVic

He's OK, but Mills, Mowbray and Holland were all streets ahead of him.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

It's got to be Mills, hands down on 13:21 - Jul 27 with 4372 viewsDyland

In the post Robson era I'd go with Magic.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:26 - Jul 27 with 4348 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Don’t know about the older players but, for me, chambers is not in any way as good as DeVos
Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:28 - Jul 27 with 4337 viewstrncbluearmy

No words needed

https://www.google.com.cy/search?tbm=isch&q=mick%20mills%20england%20captain%20l
Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:37 - Jul 27 with 4308 viewsjjblue84

How are we scoring this, trophies won or virtue signalling fist pumps???
on 13:38 - Jul 27 with 4303 views_

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:38 - Jul 27 with 4304 viewsWickets

It has to be Mills for me, he carried respect every where, some thing about his calm assurance that everything was under control and that he and his team where the best. I suppose being the best at that time was a big help.
Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:42 - Jul 27 with 4287 viewstextbackup

7 years captain as a mid championship team vs promotion captains, premier league/Europe campaign captains, fa cup uefa cup winning captains....

fair to say hes good, but he's not up there, unfortunately, and im sure he would agree

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:46 - Jul 27 with 4258 viewsMetal_Hacker

Has to be Mills all day long for me . Lucky enough to have witnessed the glory days back in the early 80's and as someone has already said Mills had everything and lead from the front . The best right footed left back we've ever had and ever likely to have regardless of his skippering capabilities

Poll: If it were one or the other

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:46 - Jul 27 with 4255 viewsSuperfrans

No.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:47 - Jul 27 with 4258 viewswkj

Chambers has done well as captain given the tubulance and change twice in his town career now, althought Mills and Holland have something about them that stands them way above him

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:47 - Jul 27 with 4255 viewsMugwump

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 12:57 - Jul 27 by PJH

Comparing anyone to Mills (including the likes of Butcher) is like comparing a nice steak to a Iceland frozen beef grillsteak.

Geraint was a very good captain, vastly underrated in that role and Holland and Magilton were very good as well.

As much as Chambers seems a great bloke and everything, I don’t see him as a natural captain.
on 13:49 - Jul 27 with 4241 views_

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:47 - Jul 27 by Mugwump

Comparing anyone to Mills (including the likes of Butcher) is like comparing a nice steak to a Iceland frozen beef grillsteak.

Geraint was a very good captain, vastly underrated in that role and Holland and Magilton were very good as well.

As much as Chambers seems a great bloke and everything, I don’t see him as a natural captain.

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 14:14 - Jul 27 with 4172 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

on 13:38 - Jul 27 by _

Stay calm I didn't say he was. Was just wondering where he ranks against people I haven't seen.

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 14:32 - Jul 27 with 4146 viewsPJH

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 13:38 - Jul 27 by Wickets

It has to be Mills for me, he carried respect every where, some thing about his calm assurance that everything was under control and that he and his team where the best. I suppose being the best at that time was a big help.

Wish I had put "calm assurance" in my post because that very accurately sums up Mick Mills for anyone that did not see him(or reminds those that did).

I might edit my post to include "calm assurance".
Chambers our best ever Captain? on 14:43 - Jul 27 with 4116 viewsbraveblue

Miles below Holland. Don’t remember Holland swearing and having a go at the fans.
Chambers our best ever Captain? on 14:47 - Jul 27 with 4088 viewsGeoffSentence

Chambers our best ever Captain? on 12:54 - Jul 27 by TRUE_BLUE123

He had wonderful posture. I have not seen another footballer hold themself quite so erect.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024