Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap 18:46 - Aug 23 with 6186 viewsSitfcB

...and they reckon it won’t mean a price increase on stuff?

Surely it would. Things that are 49p, 99p etc will all rise by a penny!

And what the f’ck would happen with all the arcades on the seafronts, can’t scrap them they are English tradition!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45269390

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 18:49 - Aug 23 with 2817 viewsjeera

Be honest Sitters, when was the last time you spent a penny, (or 2), so to speak?

And if something is £4.99, would you ever wait for your change?

They are outdated, though I know what you mean though. Some things do die hard.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 18:49 - Aug 23 with 2816 viewsSE1blue

Personally wouldn’t be that bothered to see the end of all coinage.

It’s the 21st century after all and we have faster and more efficient ways of spending money.

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 18:51 - Aug 23 with 2801 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 18:49 - Aug 23 by SE1blue

Personally wouldn’t be that bothered to see the end of all coinage.

It’s the 21st century after all and we have faster and more efficient ways of spending money.

Digital money......what could possibly go wrong!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 18:51 - Aug 23 with 2800 viewsSitfcB

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 18:49 - Aug 23 by jeera

Be honest Sitters, when was the last time you spent a penny, (or 2), so to speak?

I actually paid for something the other day with the exact change, 49p I think it was ha.

Yeah I suppose, plus as said in the news last week, card payments have overtaken cash payments now.

COYB

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 18:54 - Aug 23 with 2785 viewsSE1blue

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 18:51 - Aug 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

Digital money......what could possibly go wrong!

All kinds of stuff but what are you going to do with coins when there’s a problem with digital money? Bring your wheelbarrow of 1p and 2p coins to the market?

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 18:56 - Aug 23 with 2786 viewsitfcjoe

If it is like Australia things still stay at that price (e.g. 99p) but when you come to the check out things round up or down to the nearest 5p.

So if you spend £3.98 you lose 2p, but of it is £4.02 you gain 2p as get charged £4 either way

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 18:57 - Aug 23 with 2776 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 18:54 - Aug 23 by SE1blue

All kinds of stuff but what are you going to do with coins when there’s a problem with digital money? Bring your wheelbarrow of 1p and 2p coins to the market?

Thought you were implying giving up notes too.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:02 - Aug 23 with 2755 viewsfooters

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 18:49 - Aug 23 by jeera

What I fear is the scrapping of penny waterfalls and them being replaced by 5p or extortionate 10p machines.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2018 19:03]

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:05 - Aug 23 with 2742 viewsjeera

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 18:51 - Aug 23 by SitfcB

I actually paid for something the other day with the exact change, 49p I think it was ha.

Yeah I suppose, plus as said in the news last week, card payments have overtaken cash payments now.

Maybe the real plan is to all them all in to be melted down and moulded into arrowheads for the re intro of longbows, ready for the time ahead.

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:08 - Aug 23 with 2733 viewsjeera

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:02 - Aug 23 by footers

What I fear is the scrapping of penny waterfalls and them being replaced by 5p or extortionate 10p machines.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2018 19:03]

Can you imagine 5p machines? They'd take some filling.

I am old enough to remember when a coin was hefty enough to carry some meaning.

And value for that matter.

You knew when you had a 10p piece in your pocket.

Feck.

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:20 - Aug 23 with 2683 viewsbadadski

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:08 - Aug 23 by jeera

Can you imagine 5p machines? They'd take some filling.

I am old enough to remember when a coin was hefty enough to carry some meaning.

And value for that matter.

You knew when you had a 10p piece in your pocket.

Feck.

Not fan of this at all. I hate small change like the rest of us, but this potentially is going to cost charities thousands. Just think of the amount of small change they we get and chuck in the charity pot usually next to the till etc

Some companies do the electronic round up amounts you can donate like the kids toy shop in town but losing out on the 1p's and 2p's will mosty be a short fall to charities.
So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:27 - Aug 23 with 2648 viewsJ2BLUE

They won't. Depends how many you buy. If two times 99p you'd probably pay £2. If five times 99p you'll pay £4.95. Maximum you'll ever lose is in a single transaction is 2p.

There's going to be some very excited weirdo-, sorry 'youtubers' who have been hoarding copper pennies for this very day, assuming they now repeal the legislation saying you can't melt 1 and 2p coins.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:41 - Aug 23 with 2623 viewsjeera

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:20 - Aug 23 by badadski

Not fan of this at all. I hate small change like the rest of us, but this potentially is going to cost charities thousands. Just think of the amount of small change they we get and chuck in the charity pot usually next to the till etc

Some companies do the electronic round up amounts you can donate like the kids toy shop in town but losing out on the 1p's and 2p's will mosty be a short fall to charities.

That's a fair point as it goes.

I suppose you could hope many business's will use the 5p decrease instead so maybe the amount given will stay similar or even increase...?

But you're right. I would hope all these potential consequences will have been considered.

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:44 - Aug 23 with 2598 viewsJ2BLUE

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:41 - Aug 23 by jeera

That's a fair point as it goes.

I suppose you could hope many business's will use the 5p decrease instead so maybe the amount given will stay similar or even increase...?

But you're right. I would hope all these potential consequences will have been considered.

How about charities get 1p every time the amount ends in a 3 when it's unclear whether it should be rounded up or down.

Truly impaired.

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:45 - Aug 23 with 2600 viewsGuthrum

1p sweets will all now cost 5p.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:46 - Aug 23 with 2593 viewsJ2BLUE

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:45 - Aug 23 by Guthrum

1p sweets will all now cost 5p.

Buy 5 1p sweets.

Truly impaired.

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:48 - Aug 23 with 2584 viewsjeera

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:44 - Aug 23 by J2BLUE

How about charities get 1p every time the amount ends in a 3 when it's unclear whether it should be rounded up or down.

Make it happen J2.

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:49 - Aug 23 with 2585 viewsSuperblue95

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 18:56 - Aug 23 by itfcjoe

If it is like Australia things still stay at that price (e.g. 99p) but when you come to the check out things round up or down to the nearest 5p.

So if you spend £3.98 you lose 2p, but of it is £4.02 you gain 2p as get charged £4 either way

It's been the same in Ireland too for the past year or two. Really makes very little difference not having them

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:50 - Aug 23 with 2577 viewsTractorWood

I put everything on card so it makes no difference to me. I've had the same single tenner in my wallet for about 2 months.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:51 - Aug 23 with 2571 viewswkj

The 99p is much more rare now than you think. Next time you go to the supermarket, you'll see that x.x5 and x.x0 are pretty much already widely used price points, certainly much wider than 20 years ago

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:52 - Aug 23 with 2567 viewsRyorry

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:20 - Aug 23 by badadski

Said exactly that the last time this discussion came round on here - obviously the BOE wasn't reading, doesn't care, or both!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:57 - Aug 23 with 2548 viewsFifeITFC

So what's going to happen when you're filling up your car and, like it usually does, clicks over to £30.01 etc? Saves finding that loose bit of change when the cashier makes no indication not to worry about the penny.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:58 - Aug 23 with 2543 viewswkj

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:57 - Aug 23 by FifeITFC

So what's going to happen when you're filling up your car and, like it usually does, clicks over to £30.01 etc? Saves finding that loose bit of change when the cashier makes no indication not to worry about the penny.

They'll make you suck off a penny and spit it back into the pump

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 20:02 - Aug 23 with 2523 viewsjeera

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:58 - Aug 23 by wkj

Is that what she calls herself now?

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 20:05 - Aug 23 with 2512 viewsSitfcB

So the Bank of England have given the go ahead for 1p’s and 2p’s to be scrap on 19:58 - Aug 23 by wkj

Keno can’t wait!

COYB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024