Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Never known worse strikers 21:38 - Oct 27 with 4881 viewstitanicclown

Grew up watching D'avray, Lowe, Atkinson and Chrissy K. We had Wilson and Goddard, Scowie, Johnson and Stewart. Bent, Pablo and Kuqi before Murphy and McGoldrick.

Most of these played for us in the 2nd tier.

We now have Sears, Jackson and Harrison.

It aint rocket science.
Never known worse strikers on 21:40 - Oct 27 with 4306 viewsStokieBlue

I think it's harsh to blame the strikers even if they aren't as good as we have had historically.

You can't score if the rest of the team don't create any chances unless your Messi.

Jackson and Harrison might have some goals in them, we don't know because they haven't been given anything to work with.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Never known worse strikers on 21:59 - Oct 27 with 4219 viewsreusersfreekicks

We have had lots of poor strikers in the past, goes in cycles
Never known worse strikers on 22:04 - Oct 27 with 4188 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It is far from our only problem but we do seem to be light of a focal point in attack. Unless Lankester or Folami can provide it, I wonder if it would be worth giving Bent a short term contract until January. Or perhaps Lambert can turn Edwards into the next Grant Holt!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Never known worse strikers on 22:04 - Oct 27 with 4183 viewsRegencyBlue

Never known worse strikers on 21:59 - Oct 27 by reusersfreekicks

We have had lots of poor strikers in the past, goes in cycles

We have, but I’m not sure we have had only poor strikers at the same time until now!
Never known worse strikers on 22:08 - Oct 27 with 4163 viewsBasuco

No service means they are not going to score, we have no one capable of creating any chances to see if the strikers can score.
Never known worse strikers on 22:14 - Oct 27 with 4139 viewsParamedic

Never known worse strikers on 22:04 - Oct 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

It is far from our only problem but we do seem to be light of a focal point in attack. Unless Lankester or Folami can provide it, I wonder if it would be worth giving Bent a short term contract until January. Or perhaps Lambert can turn Edwards into the next Grant Holt!

Edwards the next Grant Holt? That's a shed load of Burgers for Gwions diet then.

AllalallalSunderland

Never known worse strikers on 22:15 - Oct 27 with 4136 viewstitanicclown

Never known worse strikers on 21:40 - Oct 27 by StokieBlue

I think it's harsh to blame the strikers even if they aren't as good as we have had historically.

You can't score if the rest of the team don't create any chances unless your Messi.

Jackson and Harrison might have some goals in them, we don't know because they haven't been given anything to work with.

SB

Thats a fair point. However, strikers also need to create chances. Most on my list could create aswell as score.
Goals arent everything but being a threat is.

Genuinely dont see Sears, Jackson and Harrison posing anything like the level of threat you need in this league.
Never known worse strikers on 22:21 - Oct 27 with 4087 viewsParamedic

Never known worse strikers on 22:08 - Oct 27 by Basuco

No service means they are not going to score, we have no one capable of creating any chances to see if the strikers can score.

Dozzell is a crafter. The only proven striker at the club is Sears. It's not enough. Jackson is a trier but at the moment not good enough at this level. For me with no signings available until January I would be looking to the youngsters of Lankester, Morris and Folami. But we are desperate for some experience to make up the backbone.

AllalallalSunderland

Login to get fewer ads

Never known worse strikers on 22:31 - Oct 27 with 4041 viewsBasuco

Never known worse strikers on 22:21 - Oct 27 by Paramedic

Dozzell is a crafter. The only proven striker at the club is Sears. It's not enough. Jackson is a trier but at the moment not good enough at this level. For me with no signings available until January I would be looking to the youngsters of Lankester, Morris and Folami. But we are desperate for some experience to make up the backbone.

I didn't see many if any through balls from Dozzell today, certainly none that could or should have been taken.
Never known worse strikers on 22:37 - Oct 27 with 4017 viewsParamedic

Never known worse strikers on 22:31 - Oct 27 by Basuco

I didn't see many if any through balls from Dozzell today, certainly none that could or should have been taken.

True, but we know he has the ability, confidence is low with everyone at the moment. If the likes of Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool are constantly being touted as interested in him he can't be a bad player.

AllalallalSunderland

Never known worse strikers on 23:11 - Oct 27 with 3918 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Never known worse strikers on 22:31 - Oct 27 by Basuco

How much did he have the ball? If he didn't was that down to him not showing for it or our inability to get possession and play it to him.

We have been lacking any decent tactics since MM left. At the start of the season it seemed like the plan was to give it to Edwards as soon as possible but even that plan seemed to go out the window.

Lambert will try things and, those that don't work he will change. He isn't (or at least didn't used to be) a one-trick pony as a manager.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Never known worse strikers on 23:31 - Oct 27 with 3853 viewsUncle_Bulgaria

Its a sad day when D'Avray's name is used in favourable comparison to our current forward options
Never known worse strikers on 23:38 - Oct 27 with 3828 viewsCoastalblue

Never known worse strikers on 23:31 - Oct 27 by Uncle_Bulgaria

Its a sad day when D'Avray's name is used in favourable comparison to our current forward options

That thought crossed my mind too. We'll be wishing for a Sam Parkin soon.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Never known worse strikers on 23:51 - Oct 27 with 3800 viewstitanicclown

Haha - I know what youre saying but Im pretty sure that sad day is upon us. Mich D'avary would walk into our current team. Actually hes just the type of player I think we need but I take your point - he wasnt the best!
Never known worse strikers on 00:08 - Oct 28 with 3748 viewswallyvincent

Never known worse strikers on 23:51 - Oct 27 by titanicclown

Haha - I know what youre saying but Im pretty sure that sad day is upon us. Mich D'avary would walk into our current team. Actually hes just the type of player I think we need but I take your point - he wasnt the best!

He's EXACTLY what we need, someone who can win a header and hold the ball up. Bloody hell I;d even take Tommy Smith playing up top that's how bad it is.

“....he’s a young tearaway by the name of Wally Vincent” - DCI Frank Haskins, Metropolitan Police Flying Squad 1975

Never known worse strikers on 01:08 - Oct 28 with 3661 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Sam Parkin and Nicky Forster are ten times better than what we have at present. Even Gerry Crainey was better. Jesus, I'd even take Samassi Abou over this lot.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Never known worse strikers on 01:11 - Oct 28 with 3652 viewsThe_Last_Baron

D'Avray had presence and was good for a goal every 4 or 5 games. Good in the air and gave everything. He also played for Town for ten years.

Never known worse strikers on 01:13 - Oct 28 with 3649 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Never known worse strikers on 01:11 - Oct 28 by The_Last_Baron

D'Avray had presence and was good for a goal every 4 or 5 games. Good in the air and gave everything. He also played for Town for ten years.

Never known worse strikers on 01:14 - Oct 28 with 3648 viewstractorshark

Never known worse strikers on 01:08 - Oct 28 by The_Last_Baron

Sam Parkin and Nicky Forster are ten times better than what we have at present. Even Gerry Crainey was better. Jesus, I'd even take Samassi Abou over this lot.

Forgot about Abou. That’s quality. We’ve had some dross over the years.
I think Jackson could come good but today he could barely control the ball.
He needs a Murphy alongside him, not Sears.
Sears tries hard but he’s a League One striker at best now.
Never known worse strikers on 01:19 - Oct 28 with 3642 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Never known worse strikers on 01:14 - Oct 28 by tractorshark

Forgot about Abou. That’s quality. We’ve had some dross over the years.
I think Jackson could come good but today he could barely control the ball.
He needs a Murphy alongside him, not Sears.
Sears tries hard but he’s a League One striker at best now.

Neil Gregory is Filipo Inzhagi when compared to this lot.

Never known worse strikers on 01:59 - Oct 28 with 3596 viewsurbanblue

Never known worse strikers?? ... Two words ... Rory Fallon!
Never known worse strikers on 06:34 - Oct 28 with 3498 viewsglassblower

Never known worse strikers on 01:59 - Oct 28 by urbanblue

Adam Proudlock.
Never known worse strikers on 09:28 - Oct 28 with 3340 viewstitanicclown

Never known worse strikers on 01:59 - Oct 28 by urbanblue

Clearly Im talking about a collective unit of strikers not individuals. Plenty of worse individuals down the years but cant think of any worse groups of strikers.
When Fallon was on loan we had Pablo, Stead and Walters!
Never known worse strikers on 09:32 - Oct 28 with 3325 viewspennblue

Never known worse strikers on 01:13 - Oct 28 by The_Last_Baron

Mich, Mich, Mich, D'avray.

What a song he had too

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

on 09:37 - Oct 28 with 3311 views_

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024