Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? 14:30 - Nov 28 with 7577 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Just to confirm, I do think all animals should live in humane conditions, and should be killed in the least painful or traumatic way possible. However...

Reading the earlier thread got me thinking, what happens in an idealistic vegan world? What happens if we all became strict vegans?

We wouldnt eat meat, dairy, eggs, or even wear wool or any other animal byproducts.

No product = No animal. Cows, sheep, pigs etc will not be kept as pets after all.

So in a vegan world, no more cows, sheep, chickens, pigs etc etc, extrapolate that for many more animals.

No more lambs jumping in the fields, no more cows chewing the cud. These animals wont have the opportunity to enjoy a simple life.

And as for countryside management, the lovely green fields will be overgrown.

Surely a vegan world in theory deprives billions of future animals the opportunity of a life?

They are a dangerous bunch, Attenborough needs to forget about plastics and concentrate on vegans!! ;-)

Discuss....

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:32 - Nov 28 with 2779 viewsBrixtonBlue

Do we need these threads every day, deliberately designed to wind Callis up? Haven't you got anything better to do?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:33 - Nov 28 with 2771 viewsKieran_Knows

Here we go again.

10 pager incoming.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:35 - Nov 28 with 2763 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:32 - Nov 28 by BrixtonBlue

Do we need these threads every day, deliberately designed to wind Callis up? Haven't you got anything better to do?

Dont get me wrong.

Its not a wind up. It was a genuine question / discussion point. Does that ideology lead to the extinction of many types of animal?

I've no idea who may or may not be vegans on this forum, so certainly not aiming it at anyone.

Maybe I could tone down the language.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:36 - Nov 28 with 2764 viewsClapham_Junction

If we all became vegan, millions of hectares of land would no longer be needed for farming and could be rewilded, which would allow billions of animals to thrive, including non-domesticated of farm animals. I'd guess that as part of the process, some farm animals would also be released into the wild and become natural populations like the Exmoor ponies.
Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:38 - Nov 28 with 2747 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:36 - Nov 28 by Clapham_Junction

If we all became vegan, millions of hectares of land would no longer be needed for farming and could be rewilded, which would allow billions of animals to thrive, including non-domesticated of farm animals. I'd guess that as part of the process, some farm animals would also be released into the wild and become natural populations like the Exmoor ponies.

Interesting response, I hadn't thought of that potential outcome.

I'm not sure that theory would work in practice, but interesting point.

Although I would think a large proportion of those hectares would be needed to meet the increased demand of cereal and vegetable crops.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2018 14:40]

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:40 - Nov 28 with 2731 viewsRyorry

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:36 - Nov 28 by Clapham_Junction

I believe that despite living a wild life, Exmoor ponies are actually owned by local farmers & looked after, I think theres an annual round-up for worming etc?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:42 - Nov 28 with 2714 viewsJ2BLUE

I'm not sure the chicken locked in a barn with 30,000 other chickens with barely enough room to move before being stunned, hung upside down and killed would be too concerned if it didn't get to live its simple life.

In fact, this whole 'denying them a life' argument is rather odd. Do we apply the same logic to animals bred for experimentation who are then killed when the experiment is over? I think they'd rather not live.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:43 - Nov 28 with 2704 viewsSpruceMoose

I'd die of culinary misery. That is my only concern.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:44 - Nov 28 with 2701 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:42 - Nov 28 by J2BLUE

I'm not sure the chicken locked in a barn with 30,000 other chickens with barely enough room to move before being stunned, hung upside down and killed would be too concerned if it didn't get to live its simple life.

In fact, this whole 'denying them a life' argument is rather odd. Do we apply the same logic to animals bred for experimentation who are then killed when the experiment is over? I think they'd rather not live.

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:45 - Nov 28 with 2700 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:42 - Nov 28 by J2BLUE

Re your first paragraph... I fully agree, as per the first para in my original post.

I think your response relates more to treating animals humanely, which I fully agree with. ;-)

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:45 - Nov 28 with 2698 viewsJ2BLUE

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:38 - Nov 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

Although I would think a large proportion of those hectares would be needed to meet the increased demand of cereal and vegetable crops.

Apparently the current level of crops could feed 15 billion people if we didn't have to feed the animals. That stat is from Conspiracy so might not be entirely accurate but you'd think it could comfortably feed the entire world including the people who currently go hungry.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:46 - Nov 28 with 2688 viewsSpruceMoose

At this rate we are going to need two additional tabs for the forum to go with 'Football' and 'General'.

'Vegan Bickering' and 'Brexit Outrage'.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:47 - Nov 28 with 2687 viewsAce_High1

Even better than that lets get rid of all green spaces and just build houses.

Save the animals and remove homelessness - hallelujah
Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:48 - Nov 28 with 2682 viewsBlueBadger

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:43 - Nov 28 by SpruceMoose

I'd die of culinary misery. That is my only concern.

Alright Sprucers, in Red Dead Redemption I've just shot something called a 'legendary moose'. I hope you get better soon.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:48 - Nov 28 with 2681 viewsKeno

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:33 - Nov 28 by Kieran_Knows

Here we go again.

10 pager incoming.

Dont think think it will have the legs for that

He probably needed to post it on a non match day

wasted opportunity

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:48 - Nov 28 with 2680 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:45 - Nov 28 by J2BLUE

Apparently the current level of crops could feed 15 billion people if we didn't have to feed the animals. That stat is from Conspiracy so might not be entirely accurate but you'd think it could comfortably feed the entire world including the people who currently go hungry.

Interesting, although I'd want to see how that figure was arrived at.

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:48 - Nov 28 with 2674 viewsClapham_Junction

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:38 - Nov 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

With regards to your last point, the answer is almost certainly none. A huge amount of cereals are grown to feed to animals, which is a highly inefficient way of creating food. If anything, I would guess that society going 100% vegan would mean we probably need less arable land as well as none of the pasture.
Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:50 - Nov 28 with 2658 viewsBrixtonBlue

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:35 - Nov 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

Dont get me wrong.

Its not a wind up. It was a genuine question / discussion point. Does that ideology lead to the extinction of many types of animal?

I've no idea who may or may not be vegans on this forum, so certainly not aiming it at anyone.

Maybe I could tone down the language.

"Its not a wind up. It was a genuine question / discussion point."

Yeah right.

Exhibit A;

"They are a dangerous bunch, Attenborough needs to forget about plastics and concentrate on vegans!!"

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:50 - Nov 28 with 2656 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:47 - Nov 28 by Ace_High1

Even better than that lets get rid of all green spaces and just build houses.

Save the animals and remove homelessness - hallelujah

...we are not short of green spaces.

I dont think veganism would remove the NIMBY.

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:51 - Nov 28 with 2652 viewsSpruceMoose

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:48 - Nov 28 by BlueBadger

Alright Sprucers, in Red Dead Redemption I've just shot something called a 'legendary moose'. I hope you get better soon.

I see you didn't have the nuts to get close and jam some dynamite up my behind, coward.

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:52 - Nov 28 with 2640 viewsSpruceMoose

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:50 - Nov 28 by BrixtonBlue

"Its not a wind up. It was a genuine question / discussion point."

Yeah right.

Exhibit A;

"They are a dangerous bunch, Attenborough needs to forget about plastics and concentrate on vegans!!"

This is some excellent White Knighting.

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:56 - Nov 28 with 2615 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:48 - Nov 28 by Clapham_Junction

With regards to your last point, the answer is almost certainly none. A huge amount of cereals are grown to feed to animals, which is a highly inefficient way of creating food. If anything, I would guess that society going 100% vegan would mean we probably need less arable land as well as none of the pasture.

Interesting.

Does leave a large question on countryside management.

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:56 - Nov 28 with 2613 viewsClapham_Junction

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:45 - Nov 28 by J2BLUE

It sounds about right. Here's a more reputable source (although from a few years ago) putting the % of global cereals fed to animals at 40%: http://news.cornell.edu/stories/1997/08/us-could-feed-800-million-people-grain-l

Also noteworthy in that article are the relative inefficiencies of protein conversion (54:1 for beef).
Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:57 - Nov 28 with 2611 viewsRyorry

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:48 - Nov 28 by Keno

Dont think think it will have the legs for that

He probably needed to post it on a non match day

wasted opportunity

On the bright side, the thread's 22 or 23 posts in, in 24 mins! Phil n Gav n Mark n the Hamsters must love vegan threads, and if they help to keep TWTD going, I reckon they're performing a useful social service! (deleted last thread excepted ...)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Vegans - The biggest threat to the future of animals? on 14:57 - Nov 28 with 2608 viewsTIB

A nice thought but I really can't see that being the outcome...more likely housing and other types of buildings.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024