Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics 19:12 - Jul 30 with 2081 viewsStokieBlue

The largest study ever has just been published in JAMA and the results state that genetics is by far an away the largest factor related to autism. At least 80% of cases can be traced to heritability from parents.

JAMA - https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/article-abstract/2737582

Non-paywall summary - https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/autism-genetics-risk_l_5d2f51aee4b0a873f6

"Based on population data from 5 countries, the heritability of ASD was estimated to be approximately 80%, indicating that the variation in ASD occurrence in the population is mostly owing to inherited genetic influences, with no support for contribution from maternal effects. The results suggest possible modest differences in the sources of ASD risk between countries."

This is also an interesting titbit with regards to the media:

"In an editorial that accompanied the new study, a team of three autism and psychiatry experts said the media has focused disproportionately on those environmental factors, perhaps because they are modifiable. An understandable pull exists to focus on the things that parents might be able to control to a certain extent. But that may have contributed to an incorrectly skewed sense of how much nature versus nurture contributes to the autism risk."

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 19:13 - Jul 30 with 2071 viewsGeoffSentence

That's it. I am in the anti-genetics camp now.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 19:19 - Jul 30 with 2052 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Blimey it looks like vaccines are messing with our genes!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 19:21 - Jul 30 with 2040 viewsfooters

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 19:19 - Jul 30 by BanksterDebtSlave

You need to pull your trousers down a bit before they give you the shot, buh.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 19:23 - Jul 30 with 2038 viewsBlueBadger

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 19:19 - Jul 30 by BanksterDebtSlave

They're letting us pass them on, for starters.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 19:24 - Jul 30 with 2031 viewsBlueBadger

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 22:15 - Jul 30 with 1917 viewsDBaldy

Not going to argue with that.

My son is autistic and after his diagnosis my wife and I attended an autism awareness course for parents so that we could learn more about the condition and how to help our son (and ourselves!) when things became difficult.

After going through those sessions, there were so many things that I could relate to or that I did when I was younger, it was crazy. Not saying that I'm autistic, but my son is like a more concentrated version of me.

And my wife has a nephew who while he has never been assessed for autism or similar conditions, he is very similar to my son and generally regarded by the wider family that he is a bit different, and so taking the genetics into account, it really isn't a surprise that my son is autistic and I can quite believe that it is genetic rather than caused by outside influences.
Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:30 - Jul 31 with 1778 viewscaught-in-limbo

The genetic connection makes little sense unless you're entertaining epigenetics. I'd certainly love to have a discussion about that and the rise of autism with you.

We've been carrying the same genes for millennia, yet autism cases per 10,000 people are increasing rapidly and relatively only very recently.

What does the report say about that?

Are parents with autistim-causing genes breeding much faster than those which don't carry the gene? I doubt that's the case because the study hasn't identified which genes are responsible.

It makes little sense.

EDIT:

"Autism Diagnoses in Israel Jump 169 Percent in Past Decade
In 2018, one out of every 78 children was diagnosed as autistic, compared to one out of 210 in 2007"
source: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-autism-diagnoses-in-israel-jump-169

How is that explained genetically?
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 11:36]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:37 - Jul 31 with 1753 viewslowhouseblue

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:30 - Jul 31 by caught-in-limbo

The genetic connection makes little sense unless you're entertaining epigenetics. I'd certainly love to have a discussion about that and the rise of autism with you.

We've been carrying the same genes for millennia, yet autism cases per 10,000 people are increasing rapidly and relatively only very recently.

Are parents with autistim-causing genes breeding much faster than those which don't carry the gene? I doubt that's the case because the study hasn't identified which genes are responsible.

It makes little sense.

EDIT:

In 2018, one out of every 78 children was diagnosed as autistic, compared to one out of 210 in 2007"
source: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-autism-diagnoses-in-israel-jump-169

the key word is obviously 'diagnosis'

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:39 - Jul 31 with 1738 viewsJ2BLUE

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 22:15 - Jul 30 by DBaldy

My son is autistic and after his diagnosis my wife and I attended an autism awareness course for parents so that we could learn more about the condition and how to help our son (and ourselves!) when things became difficult.

After going through those sessions, there were so many things that I could relate to or that I did when I was younger, it was crazy. Not saying that I'm autistic, but my son is like a more concentrated version of me.

And my wife has a nephew who while he has never been assessed for autism or similar conditions, he is very similar to my son and generally regarded by the wider family that he is a bit different, and so taking the genetics into account, it really isn't a surprise that my son is autistic and I can quite believe that it is genetic rather than caused by outside influences.

Funny you say this. My brother is autistic and my mum says when I was younger I had a few autistic tendencies. Just odd things which made her think that.

I've always had it in the back of my mind that if I had a kid they might be autistic. Just a gut feeling.

Interesting stuff

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:48 - Jul 31 with 1718 viewscaught-in-limbo

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:37 - Jul 31 by lowhouseblue

the key word is obviously 'diagnosis'

LOL

There is no artist in human history that did not have any of the symptoms of autism.

Diagnosis of spectrum illnesses like ASD are imprecise by their very nature. The most important thing is to identify as many people as possible with a syndrome of some sort and medicate them against it. I can't fathom for a moment who'd benefit from that.

#toxic

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:48 - Jul 31 with 1717 viewslowhouseblue

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:39 - Jul 31 by J2BLUE

Funny you say this. My brother is autistic and my mum says when I was younger I had a few autistic tendencies. Just odd things which made her think that.

I've always had it in the back of my mind that if I had a kid they might be autistic. Just a gut feeling.

Interesting stuff

i guess genetics sets quite a broad range of possible presentations - and then other things may effect specific traits or severity in an individual. and environmental stuff must effect the coping strategies particular people are able to develop over time. what is definitely social is the characteristics which are considered to fall within the diagnosis and the breadth of the group who are then thought to come within it. at the margins people are now likely to see mild behaviours as falling within this range which in the past wouldn't have been thought of in that way.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:55 - Jul 31 with 1700 viewslowhouseblue

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:48 - Jul 31 by caught-in-limbo

LOL

There is no artist in human history that did not have any of the symptoms of autism.

Diagnosis of spectrum illnesses like ASD are imprecise by their very nature. The most important thing is to identify as many people as possible with a syndrome of some sort and medicate them against it. I can't fathom for a moment who'd benefit from that.

explaining why the diagnosis rate has increased - and why it has expanded to include people with a far less severe presentation - would be an excellent research topic. I don't think I buy the 'it's all down to the drugs companies' line.

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:57 - Jul 31 with 1690 viewsCoachRob

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:48 - Jul 31 by lowhouseblue

i guess genetics sets quite a broad range of possible presentations - and then other things may effect specific traits or severity in an individual. and environmental stuff must effect the coping strategies particular people are able to develop over time. what is definitely social is the characteristics which are considered to fall within the diagnosis and the breadth of the group who are then thought to come within it. at the margins people are now likely to see mild behaviours as falling within this range which in the past wouldn't have been thought of in that way.

An economist talking about people heterogeneously has to be seen as some form of progress.
Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:57 - Jul 31 with 1689 viewscaught-in-limbo

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:39 - Jul 31 by J2BLUE

Interesting stuff

Take a look at these earlier autism reg flags:

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/signs.html

Like I said earlier, most artistic or even children showing a strong interest in science from an early age will display some of these characteristics. Quite a few of them are true even for me now.

Let's just assign autism to everyone and put us all on medication.

#toxic

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 12:02 - Jul 31 with 1677 viewsHerbivore

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:57 - Jul 31 by caught-in-limbo

Take a look at these earlier autism reg flags:

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/signs.html

Like I said earlier, most artistic or even children showing a strong interest in science from an early age will display some of these characteristics. Quite a few of them are true even for me now.

Let's just assign autism to everyone and put us all on medication.

What medication are they using for all these people? Whilst in some cases medication may be prescribed for anxiety or sleep issues related to autism, in my experience of working with children with ASD diagnosis and knowing a number of adults with ASD diagnosis, medication is not the norm. Management of autism is usually behavioural and environmental rather than medical. I'd like to see your evidence base on this one.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 12:03]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 12:06 - Jul 31 with 1665 viewscaught-in-limbo

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:55 - Jul 31 by lowhouseblue

explaining why the diagnosis rate has increased - and why it has expanded to include people with a far less severe presentation - would be an excellent research topic. I don't think I buy the 'it's all down to the drugs companies' line.

"I don't think I buy the 'it's all down to the drugs companies' line."

Me neither. Though if I was high up in the pharmaceutical industry or had a lot of shares in the industry I'd think it was Christmas every day if I was able to sell medication to people who didn't need it.

My daughter's dyslexic and as a result I've met countless parents who also have dyslexic kids. You wouldn't believe the number of them who have had their kids of medication. In several cases I know, they've been on meds for years!

#toxic

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 12:12 - Jul 31 with 1643 viewscaught-in-limbo

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 12:02 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

What medication are they using for all these people? Whilst in some cases medication may be prescribed for anxiety or sleep issues related to autism, in my experience of working with children with ASD diagnosis and knowing a number of adults with ASD diagnosis, medication is not the norm. Management of autism is usually behavioural and environmental rather than medical. I'd like to see your evidence base on this one.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 12:03]

Pop over to Spain whenever you like. I'll introduce you to a few people.

I know parents of autistic and dyslexic kids who get medication to help them concentrate and to help them out of being sad/depressed for starters. Perhaps it's different in Spain. It probably is.

#toxic

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 12:13 - Jul 31 with 1642 viewsMookamoo

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 22:15 - Jul 30 by DBaldy

Also have a son with a diagnosis. It's interesting looking at the wider family and those that have ASD 'traits', but do not have a diagnosis. Once you know what you're looking for you can clearly see those who could benefit from a diagnosis.

It's easier said than done if you're dealing with it day in, day out, but if you have time read Tony Attwood's work on the systemic vs the emotion brain. Taking a step back from managing meltdowns it is quite fascinating.
Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 12:16 - Jul 31 with 1634 viewsMookamoo

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:48 - Jul 31 by caught-in-limbo

LOL

People with ASD are not 'ill'.
Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 12:25 - Jul 31 with 1615 viewsStokieBlue

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 11:30 - Jul 31 by caught-in-limbo

It makes little sense.

EDIT:

So you disagree with the study.

To use your exact line of attack in the previous thread, can you please read the entire study and tell me which specific pieces of it you disagree with and why.

As for your question on the rise, the categorisation criteria changed in the early 2000's hence the rise in labelled cases.

SB
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 12:31]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 12:26 - Jul 31 with 1607 viewslowhouseblue

Largest study finds that autism largely caused by genetics on 12:06 - Jul 31 by caught-in-limbo

"I don't think I buy the 'it's all down to the drugs companies' line."

Me neither. Though if I was high up in the pharmaceutical industry or had a lot of shares in the industry I'd think it was Christmas every day if I was able to sell medication to people who didn't need it.

My daughter's dyslexic and as a result I've met countless parents who also have dyslexic kids. You wouldn't believe the number of them who have had their kids of medication. In several cases I know, they've been on meds for years!

severe cases of dyslexia are life shaping and restricting. but the much broader current definition which includes people with quite mild symptons* seems to me to be simply medicalising difference. (*for example, people who have obtained perfect grades throughout their school career but then get a diagnosis post 18).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024