Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) 22:30 - Jan 4 with 4803 viewsDinnernotTea

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 22:31 - Jan 4 with 2935 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't see why people keep mentioning this. Last season was a free hit. This is the season to judge him and there's plenty to criticise without banging on about last season.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 22:45 - Jan 4 with 2888 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 22:31 - Jan 4 by J2BLUE

I don't see why people keep mentioning this. Last season was a free hit. This is the season to judge him and there's plenty to criticise without banging on about last season.

So, this season he has a 43.5% win rate.

After the net 3 matches it will be somewhere between 38.5 and 50%.

Before we lost in the league, he actually had a 72.7% win rate.

Oh, how we need to get back to winning ways and to do so quickly. I didn't care about today's result. Good to see Bishop and Sears getting pitch time. Now the real business starts again on Saturday and with 3 consecutive Saturday matches, no need for any rotation.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 23:14 - Jan 4 with 2826 viewsDinnernotTea

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 22:45 - Jan 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

So, this season he has a 43.5% win rate.

After the net 3 matches it will be somewhere between 38.5 and 50%.

Before we lost in the league, he actually had a 72.7% win rate.

Oh, how we need to get back to winning ways and to do so quickly. I didn't care about today's result. Good to see Bishop and Sears getting pitch time. Now the real business starts again on Saturday and with 3 consecutive Saturday matches, no need for any rotation.

You judge a manager from first game to current. Not chunks.

26%. And have a look at his other win % since 2012. Hideous.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 09:22 - Jan 5 with 2688 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 23:14 - Jan 4 by DinnernotTea

Of course but you judge on different criteria to start with. Particularly in the situation we were in. If you were an employer and you gave someone a like of rubbish to work with you would be a moron to base your judgement criteria purely on turning that rubbish into gold overnight. I wouldn't work for you if you were that moronic. He did lots of good things when he first came in. Results could have been better for sure but as I say this was a much smaller criteria at that point that you would judge him on. Like a probation period you cant give your employees the same KPIs at the start as you do for them longer term, again unless you are a useless manager. (It's slightly different in football management of course but there was an awful context that Lambert came into).

What you absolutely would do is judge him on his first full season separately and more closely as he has his signings and pre-season behind him. Of course you would separate the win % and statistics. That is common sense..You will also see process then and you can build on that from there. Can you explain a reason why you wouldn't do that? as someone said above he was at 70%+ early in the season and we didn't see these posts then!!

I would break into chunks and use the data..right now it's poor and that needs to be addressed in itself. You can learn from data! I would look at things like first half2nd half performance in games (breaking it into chunks). I would.look at how we performed in blocks.of season etc. Could help.us next year.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 14:56]

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 09:24 - Jan 5 with 2678 viewsStokieBlue

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 23:14 - Jan 4 by DinnernotTea

That's abuse of statistics in my opinion.

You should really weight the results in each season by the apparent strength of the squad and the position inherited.

Lambert hasn't done well but this stat isn't brilliant.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 10:11 - Jan 5 with 2616 viewsDinnernotTea

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 09:22 - Jan 5 by Terry_Nutkins

Of course but you judge on different criteria to start with. Particularly in the situation we were in. If you were an employer and you gave someone a like of rubbish to work with you would be a moron to base your judgement criteria purely on turning that rubbish into gold overnight. I wouldn't work for you if you were that moronic. He did lots of good things when he first came in. Results could have been better for sure but as I say this was a much smaller criteria at that point that you would judge him on. Like a probation period you cant give your employees the same KPIs at the start as you do for them longer term, again unless you are a useless manager. (It's slightly different in football management of course but there was an awful context that Lambert came into).

What you absolutely would do is judge him on his first full season separately and more closely as he has his signings and pre-season behind him. Of course you would separate the win % and statistics. That is common sense..You will also see process then and you can build on that from there. Can you explain a reason why you wouldn't do that? as someone said above he was at 70%+ early in the season and we didn't see these posts then!!

I would break into chunks and use the data..right now it's poor and that needs to be addressed in itself. You can learn from data! I would look at things like first half2nd half performance in games (breaking it into chunks). I would.look at how we performed in blocks.of season etc. Could help.us next year.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 14:56]

Other than whipping the cabbages up in a frenzy by saying how good our fans are, what are the a lot of good things you speak of? A club called Bolton who couldn't pay their players or play all their games managed to finish above us.

As manager of Ipswich Town Football Club he has only managed to win 26% of his games. Look at his CV and this isn't a one off, that's why these stats are relevant.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 10:18 - Jan 5 with 2604 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Have you forgotten how sh-it the team was and in lots of areas still is?

This is a team that would almost certainly be relegated from the Championship, yet is expected to be at the top of L1.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 10:28 - Jan 5 with 2537 viewsHerbivore

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 10:18 - Jan 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

Have you forgotten how sh-it the team was and in lots of areas still is?

This is a team that would almost certainly be relegated from the Championship, yet is expected to be at the top of L1.

Which squads in this league do you think are stronger than ours?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 10:33 - Jan 5 with 2584 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 10:28 - Jan 5 by Herbivore

Which squads in this league do you think are stronger than ours?

Clearly the better performing ones.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 10:38 - Jan 5 with 2507 viewsHerbivore

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 10:33 - Jan 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

Clearly the better performing ones.

That's a lame answer. Name some sqauds you think are better than ours. Do you think, for example, that Wycombe have a stronger squad than us? I doubt many Wycombe fans or even their manager would say that player for player they have a better squad than us.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 10:42 - Jan 5 with 2554 viewsjas0999

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 22:31 - Jan 4 by J2BLUE

I disagree. There were plenty of games we could and should have won last season, but ultimately failed to. Millwall and Bristol City spring to mind. Even Preston in PLs first game.
Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 10:55 - Jan 5 with 2518 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 10:38 - Jan 5 by Herbivore

That's a lame answer. Name some sqauds you think are better than ours. Do you think, for example, that Wycombe have a stronger squad than us? I doubt many Wycombe fans or even their manager would say that player for player they have a better squad than us.

Why are we the strongest squad in the league? Because we're awash with Championship quality players? If they were Championship quality, we'd be in the Championship wouldn't we?

It's very easy to say that we or anyone else has the strongest squad, in fact I'd say its pretty lazy to make that assertion. But when the players clearly aren't performing to their supposed abilities, under two different managers, you have to conclude that maybe some of them aren't quite as good as they and everyone else thinks.

I agree, this squad should easily win this league, but everyone thought the same about Sunderland when they came down, and we were all wrong then too.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 12:16 - Jan 5 with 2380 viewsHerbivore

I thinks that's rewriting history a fair bit. When he came in we had legitimate hopes of staying up. Best part of 30 games left and were only a few points adrift. I think it's a bit much to just write it off, we went down without a fight really. Mick saved us comfortably from a similarly poor position, for comparison.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 13:16 - Jan 5 with 2317 viewsHerbivore

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 10:55 - Jan 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

Why are we the strongest squad in the league? Because we're awash with Championship quality players? If they were Championship quality, we'd be in the Championship wouldn't we?

It's very easy to say that we or anyone else has the strongest squad, in fact I'd say its pretty lazy to make that assertion. But when the players clearly aren't performing to their supposed abilities, under two different managers, you have to conclude that maybe some of them aren't quite as good as they and everyone else thinks.

I agree, this squad should easily win this league, but everyone thought the same about Sunderland when they came down, and we were all wrong then too.

That's a very long winded way of conceding that actually we do have the best squad in the league, on paper at least.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 13:34 - Jan 5 with 2342 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 12:16 - Jan 5 by Herbivore

I thinks that's rewriting history a fair bit. When he came in we had legitimate hopes of staying up. Best part of 30 games left and were only a few points adrift. I think it's a bit much to just write it off, we went down without a fight really. Mick saved us comfortably from a similarly poor position, for comparison.

Weren't we further adrift when Mick came in?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 13:38 - Jan 5 with 2291 viewsHerbivore

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 13:34 - Jan 5 by BlueBadger

Weren't we further adrift when Mick came in?

Quite possibly. And we had about 30 players on loans and short term contracts. We were a total shambles.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 15:03 - Jan 5 with 2286 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 10:11 - Jan 5 by DinnernotTea

Other than whipping the cabbages up in a frenzy by saying how good our fans are, what are the a lot of good things you speak of? A club called Bolton who couldn't pay their players or play all their games managed to finish above us.

As manager of Ipswich Town Football Club he has only managed to win 26% of his games. Look at his CV and this isn't a one off, that's why these stats are relevant.

You can put your little negative spin on it but he got people in the ground. Hd got people passionate about the team again and there were some great scenes with the ground singing etc in a dire situation. That was huge. The team were playing better in my opinion but we werent getting results. The team wasnt good enough.

I think he started the rebuilding of the club and i give credit for that. He started putting things in place for next season and players like Judge and Keane were big signings he attracted to play L1. Judge hasnt hit the heights but Keane is starting to look every bit the class act now.

We started the season with superb results and we were flying in the table.

You havent made your stat relevent. It's still stupid not to split into relevant %. Of course you can give the total figure. It's just the least useful one if you want to assess progress/performance.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 15:09 - Jan 5 with 2226 viewsHerbivore

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 12:16 - Jan 5 by Herbivore

It's rather ironic that a poster calling himself the realist has down arrowed this.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 15:13 - Jan 5 with 2257 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 10:11 - Jan 5 by DinnernotTea

By the way you should do your homework better as his stats are NOT bad: Only stoke and Livingston (his first job) were worse % - Stoke was short term and they were all but down and he drew most of the games losing only 6!)

To nearest %:

Wycombe - 41%
Colchester - 44%
Norwich - 49%
Villa - 30%
Blackburn - 36%
Wolves -42%

FYI all but one of those have been rounded down.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 15:15 - Jan 5 with 2253 viewshaynes_toe1

In what scenario is a manager coming in midway through the season with a January transfer window to try and save us from relegation a 'free hit'?

Considering how harsh our fans were on Mick I find it staggering how much leeway they're willing to give an ex-nodge manager. As if them lot up the road don't have enough to laugh at us for..
Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 15:21 - Jan 5 with 2239 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 15:15 - Jan 5 by haynes_toe1

In what scenario is a manager coming in midway through the season with a January transfer window to try and save us from relegation a 'free hit'?

Considering how harsh our fans were on Mick I find it staggering how much leeway they're willing to give an ex-nodge manager. As if them lot up the road don't have enough to laugh at us for..

I don't agree it was a free hit. But i do think it was a near impossible task. I hoped we would have been closer but it was always close to doomed.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 15:22 - Jan 5 with 2193 viewsHerbivore

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 15:13 - Jan 5 by Terry_Nutkins

By the way you should do your homework better as his stats are NOT bad: Only stoke and Livingston (his first job) were worse % - Stoke was short term and they were all but down and he drew most of the games losing only 6!)

To nearest %:

Wycombe - 41%
Colchester - 44%
Norwich - 49%
Villa - 30%
Blackburn - 36%
Wolves -42%

FYI all but one of those have been rounded down.

Looks every inch a manager on the way down. I know he says nice things and shows affection for the club and fans, but he's pretty hopeless at the actual football side of the job.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 16:06 - Jan 5 with 2202 viewsDinnernotTea

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 15:03 - Jan 5 by Terry_Nutkins

You can put your little negative spin on it but he got people in the ground. Hd got people passionate about the team again and there were some great scenes with the ground singing etc in a dire situation. That was huge. The team were playing better in my opinion but we werent getting results. The team wasnt good enough.

I think he started the rebuilding of the club and i give credit for that. He started putting things in place for next season and players like Judge and Keane were big signings he attracted to play L1. Judge hasnt hit the heights but Keane is starting to look every bit the class act now.

We started the season with superb results and we were flying in the table.

You havent made your stat relevent. It's still stupid not to split into relevant %. Of course you can give the total figure. It's just the least useful one if you want to assess progress/performance.

Not a single bloke I went with turned up last season because Paul Lambert said they had to, are you mad?

He's proved in 14 months just what a diabolical manager he is and as to why he was still unemployed in November. This is a manager that will "ROTATE" the no.1 keeper that equalled a club record and got us top of the league.

I promise you, he doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 16:14 - Jan 5 with 2188 viewsmarchy

Utter rubbish. Mick inherited a squad comprising almost exclusively experience at Championship level and higher, and whatever state they were in after Jewell's carnage they were clearly capable of playing their way out of it as they began to do so almost immediately, even before adding McG and Stearman bolstered us in January. Incredible achievement by Mick of course, but not at all comparable to Lambert having to try to keep a team in the Championship with the majority of it never having even played at that level before. Almost all of Hurst's signings are currently proving themselves to be incapable of imposing themselves on League 1 and lacking in basic footballing ability. They showed absolutely nothing to suggest they had the talent to stay in the Championship, and with Hurst having spunked £6m and football finance having gone seven more years worth of insane since Mick's exploits, we'd have needed something absolutely miraculous to happen in January to have got anywhere near survival.
Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 16:24 - Jan 5 with 2124 viewsHerbivore

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 16:14 - Jan 5 by marchy

Utter rubbish. Mick inherited a squad comprising almost exclusively experience at Championship level and higher, and whatever state they were in after Jewell's carnage they were clearly capable of playing their way out of it as they began to do so almost immediately, even before adding McG and Stearman bolstered us in January. Incredible achievement by Mick of course, but not at all comparable to Lambert having to try to keep a team in the Championship with the majority of it never having even played at that level before. Almost all of Hurst's signings are currently proving themselves to be incapable of imposing themselves on League 1 and lacking in basic footballing ability. They showed absolutely nothing to suggest they had the talent to stay in the Championship, and with Hurst having spunked £6m and football finance having gone seven more years worth of insane since Mick's exploits, we'd have needed something absolutely miraculous to happen in January to have got anywhere near survival.

The majority of the side hadn't played in the Championship before? That's not really true. Bart, Kenlock, Chambers, Knudsen, Spence, Skuse, Downes, Dozzell, Bishop, Sears - all played a decent amount of football in the Championship. Pennington had decent prior Championship experience as well. Mick inherited different problems, way too many loanees and players on short term contracts, including a number of 'old pros' whose best days were well behind them. We were an utter mess when he came in. I'm not saying Lambert should have kept us up, but he should have at least made a bit of a fight of it. We were the worst side in the league when he came in and he didn't improve on that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024